Queer & Pregnant: Dec '09, Jan & Feb '10 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 402 Old 01-11-2010, 11:07 PM
kjm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
still nothing!! well lots of little stuff (like wiggling down down down) honestly I don't know how this head can get ANY lower!!! We've been doing acupuncture/acupressure daily!! its gotta be ANY day now...please

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
#122 of 402 Old 01-12-2010, 07:21 AM
kjm

awake for a few hours now with intense cramping? Feels menstrual but I know its not my period. Could we be getting closer?? We MUST be!!

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
#123 of 402 Old 01-12-2010, 07:45 AM

KJM, here's hoping for you! C'mon baby and GOOOO KJM!!!!

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#124 of 402 Old 01-12-2010, 07:48 AM

Oooooooeeeeeoo!!!! I'm thinking of you and kale, Keely. Birth is so cool! I hope you love it!

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#125 of 402 Old 01-12-2010, 09:35 AM
kjm

yahoo bloody show---here we go!!!!!

#126 of 402 Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 AM

keely!!! wooohoooo!!!!!! so excited for you! keep us posted as you can, c'mon kale, we are all ready to meet you.

afu, nada. dp has had random contractions here and there. by this point in my pregnancy, i had bloody show and was leaking amnioic fluid. looks like our wee man is happy to stay put where it's warm and comfy for now. we have an ob appt today - no talk of induction thank goodness or cervical checks, although if we are still pregnant by our next appt it will be on the cards.

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#127 of 402 Old 01-12-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjm View Post
yahoo bloody show---here we go!!!!!
KEELY, KEELY, KEELY, KEELY!!! (That's my sporting-event type chant!)

Hope you are holding sweet little Kale in your arms by the time you read this!

xoxoxo

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#128 of 402 Old 01-12-2010, 11:47 AM

Keely,

The best and most peaceful birthing vibes for you!!!!

Enjoy Kale's wondrous birthday!

megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#129 of 402 Old 01-12-2010, 01:23 PM

Whoo hoo Keely!!!

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#130 of 402 Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 PM

Yay, kjm!!! Have fun!!!!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#131 of 402 Old 01-12-2010, 06:26 PM

I'm finding it hard to write Skylar's birth store but here is a first crack at it Thanks for reading!

On Dec. 30 at 6:30am I woke up to a small gush of water. I immediately suspected it was my water breaking. I moved a bit and more came out so I was sure pretty quickly. I woke up my DP and told her I thought my water had just broke. We were both immediately awake and alert! I checked the colour and it was clear so I knew there was no need for concern of mec./infection. I called our doula right away - she was at another birth but said to call her back when contractions started. DP and I decided to do a few things and then head back to bed to rest in case labour started soon. I leaked fluid and some streaked with blood for the entire morning. I never did see any "bloody show" before contractions started. We blew up the pool, cleaned up a bit, etc. and around 9am I called my midwife. She was also at another birth (just leaving it) and asked about the fluid and said to call her back when contractions started.

So, DP and I went back to bed and surprisingly slept for a couple more hours. I woke up at 11am with mild contractions which was followed by about 3 more over the next 2 hours. Suddenly, it seemed, contractions got painful by about 1pm and were 8 minutes apart. We timed them for about an hour and decided to call our doula back and report. She was still at the other birth so said her partner was going to call us to check in in a little while. My contractions progressed to about 5 minutes apart and were getting painful but still manageable and I could still rest inbetween. Aimee, the back up doula, called sometime after 1pm and I remember her getting to our house within an hour or so but I was asking for her repeatedly during that time. The contractions were getting intense and at one point I was frightened by them and wondered if I could indeed go through with an unmedicated home birth. The thought was fleeting though and I kept going! I laboured on the toilet for quite awhile and on my knees leaning over the end of our bed. Unfortunately our hot water tank ran out of water before the pool was filled and no one was able to get it warm enough for me to get into. I don't know that I would have moved into it anyway by that point!

Aimee called our midwife, Lesley, at some point to report on my progress and again, I'm not sure of the timeline but she showed up soon after. I remember her saying hello and sitting with me for a little while. I then remember our original doula, Michelle, showing up. They pretty much left DP and I to labour on our own for awhile and got set up. Lesley asked me if I wanted to be checked and I said no at first but then yes because I was hoping to be encouraged by some progress of all the contractions! I think this was about 7pm but I'm not sure. She checked and I was about 8 1/2 cm dilated. I was thrilled! She went to call the 2nd doula, Beth, as it is law in BC for 2 midwives to be present for a home birth. I remember Beth getting there soon after I was checked. About an hour later I suddenly had to push NOW!! I didn't want to be checked but Lesley wanted to make sure I was fully dilated...and I was. The urge to push was so strong it was amazing. I pushed on my hands and knees for awhile, then on my back on the bed, then on the toilet, then squatting, I even tried standing up. They kept asking me to try new positions which annoyed me but I knew they were just trying different things to help me get baby out! On the toilet and squatting were the most effective. I kept asking "can you see the head?" and "is the head out yet?" which I found out later, everyone thought was fairly amusing after I asked for the 100th time 2 hours past and they really started getting more aggressive in suggesting new positions. I could see the head myself in a mirror when I was squatting while DP sat on the bed behind me to support me (mirrored closet doors on one wall in our bedroom) and it was amazing looking! When I pushed now I could actually feel her moving down - what a powerful feeling. I insisted on being on my knees facing the bed as it was the most comfortable. I remember being SO tired and telling them over and over that I was so tired. Beth and Lesley were encouraging me to feel the baby's head but I was scared. Finally I did though and it was the best thing because it gave me inspiration to continue on. Baby's heartrate was fine the whole time - they checked with the doppler after each contraction/push and kept saying "what a happy baby!!" I finally found something inside me that gave me such power and determination to push her out. I pushed myself up on my knees and just pushed as hard as I could! I suddenly felt a huge pop and knew her head was out. Leslie asked me to slow down then, which I did. I pushed gently as her shoulders came out - I heard people saying wow, she's so big!! I thought she was out but could still feel something - Leslie told me to push out my baby's legs which seemed strange to me as I thought she would just "shoot out" by that point. So I pushed once more hard and out she came after 3 hours of pushing! DP caught her with Leslie and I leaned back on the floor as they passed Skylar to me through my legs. They rubbed her down and she started crying right away. We sat together for awhile until the cord stopped pulsing. We still didn't know if it was a boy or girl and when I asked they all said "we don't know, have a look!!" A baby girl We all moved to the bed after the cord was cut and I delivered the placenta easily as Skylar was already nursing (like a barracuda!!) She was 9lb 7oz which was surprising to everyone! Apgars of 8 and 9 and so far, except for some jaundice that has cleared up, she is perfectly perfect I had some superficial tearing and they decided to put in a few stitches - which they were able to do while I continued to nurse.

It was such an amazing experience and hard to put into words. I feel so fortunate that we were able to bring in her into the world at home with a circle of amazing women around us. It was truly mystic!

a few photos http://coastalwaves.blogspot.com/201...me-photos.html

#132 of 402 Old 01-12-2010, 07:27 PM

Thanks for sharing your beautiful and inspiring birth story!

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#133 of 402 Old 01-12-2010, 07:53 PM

WOW Carmen!! She is just beautiful and perfect! Three hours of pushing? You are amazing! Congrats and thanks for sharing with us!

Keely - Thinking of you and hoping everything is smooth and comfortable!

Still madly in stillheart.gif with jb after 10 years and chasing after my precocious toddler jog.gif    

***joy.gif***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40    computergeek2.gif westphillymama.com

#134 of 402 Old 01-12-2010, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

thanks carmen for sharing your story. what a beautiful day for your family

Me, DW , and DS born 7/6/10
#135 of 402 Old 01-13-2010, 01:44 AM
kjm

kale cqobli justice (surprise-- it's a vagina)
born 9:15pm january 12 2010
8lbs 4oz
19 1/2 "

#136 of 402 Old 01-13-2010, 02:46 AM

Yay!!!!! Welcome, Kale!!!! I hope you are both doing well and can't wait to hear about your birth

#137 of 402 Old 01-13-2010, 02:46 AM

Congrats and welcome Kale! Can't wait to hear the birth story.

#138 of 402 Old 01-13-2010, 03:27 AM

Keely!!!!!! Congrats and welcome to the world, lil Kale!

Carmen: She's lovely, and congrats, mama!!

Living with my DW, ourcat.gifAstrid, my mom and dad, and their dog and cats, too.  Hoping to start TTC with my OSO as baby-daddy soonish!

#139 of 402 Old 01-13-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjm View Post
kale cqobli justice (surprise-- it's a vagina)
born 9:15pm january 12 2010
8lbs 4oz
19 1/2 "
Oh wow! I'm always surprised when one of us births a vagina!
Welcome Kale! We've been waiting for you!!!!

Congratulations Keely. Enjoy your babymoon. I can't wait to hear all about the birth!

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#140 of 402 Old 01-13-2010, 09:53 AM

carmen, what a wonderful birth story and wow is skylar a cutie! congrats again.

keely!! finally kale is here! big congrats on babe's arrival!

i guess that means we're next, lol!!

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#141 of 402 Old 01-13-2010, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

congratulations kjm & kale!!! now let the love begin

#142 of 402 Old 01-13-2010, 11:53 AM

Keely--- Congrats!!!! Welcome little Kale! Enjoy the wonders of your babymoon.

megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#143 of 402 Old 01-13-2010, 01:11 PM

Congrats Keely, and welcome baby Kale!

Hope you guys are doing well. I look forward to hearing all about it!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#144 of 402 Old 01-13-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoscot View Post

i guess that means we're next, lol!!

g
It certainly does!! Can't wait to hear about your little one's arrival!!!

#145 of 402 Old 01-13-2010, 05:11 PM
kjm

Kale photos http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=3700bae900

photos of my wonderful waterbirth
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=4105c1c7be

#146 of 402 Old 01-13-2010, 06:27 PM

Keely! So wonderful. Great pics. They really capture the amazingness of it all. Congratulations again.

#147 of 402 Old 01-13-2010, 08:50 PM

SO MANY congratulations to Keely (and family)! Welcome Kale! I'm so happy for you! The birth looks like it was amazing.

I'd be surprised if you have any difficulties with such an amazing support team, but please don't hesitate to contact me with any nursing questions/concerns.

Sending love and wishes for a peaceful babymoon

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#148 of 402 Old 01-13-2010, 09:22 PM

Keely -- your birth looks like it was absolutely amazing. And Kale is amazingly sweet and peaceful! So wonderful (that pic of you in the pool in front of the fire seemed idyllic!)!!!!

Be well and enjoy these days together.

megin

ps -- quick update on us: Katie had her first midwife appt today at about 15.5 weeks. All is going swimmingly. I'm finally finally, with all this PTSD in tow, feeling like this is real. I think we even know what her name will be. Not certain, but pretty sure!

#149 of 402 Old 01-13-2010, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by megincl View Post
ps -- quick update on us: Katie had her first midwife appt today at about 15.5 weeks. All is going swimmingly. I'm finally finally, with all this PTSD in tow, feeling like this is real. I think we even know what her name will be. Not certain, but pretty sure!
hopefully, the reassurance that all is going well can help you to enjoy this pregnancy and let go of some of the ptsd!? congrats on the good news!

#150 of 402 Old 01-14-2010, 12:20 AM

Great photos!! Thanks for sharing Kale looks adorable!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page