need info re: effectiveness of sperm that has been shipped overnight! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-10-2009, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello All,

I know that there have been several previous posts about shipping fresh sperm in the mail, but I am looking for some more specific information about whether or not it actually works!

My partner and I have used the kit from Donor Home Delivery with no success yet. I would love to hear from people who have had certain success with this method. I called NW Cryobank to ask about their kit, and they said that although they mail out about 20-30 kits per month they have no data about whether or not it works!!! I don't want to waste my time on a method that does not work... but maybe I am just being impatient.

Any info you have would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 09:46 PM

Hi and welcome!

I think you'll find some of this on the other threads, but we have used the kit successfully multiple times. We used the one from a different site, but same thing. (none of these pregnancies lasted, but that was not the fault of the kit, mind you)

We did IUIs with the shipped sperm two times, and both times the nurse at the docs office looked at the sample to check the swimmers and said the sample looked great, tons of swimmers, etc. That helped to ease my mind about the effectiveness of this method. I'd say that as long as your donor donates right before the last shipping pick up/drop off time, you use the next day express shipping and then insem close to when the package arrives, you're totally good. I know that Leland at donor home delivery says you can keep the sperm in the fridge for a while. We never tried that, though we did keep a bit from one of the IUIs in the packaging on our freezing porch. We then did an insurance insem at home that night. Who knows which of those contained the sperm that got the egg that cycle.

Best of luck!
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
Old 12-12-2009, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

thanks megin! i appreciate the feedback. i hope to hear more success stories from other people too!
Old 12-13-2009, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Megin,
Do you know anything about how long the sperm can live once they have been shipped and the insemination is done? I am assuming that they lose some of their life span in the transit process, so I am wondering how close to actual ovulation we need to time it. Thank you!!!
Old 12-13-2009, 07:17 PM

I actually called the place we bought our kit from to ask about this, and they didn't know. I think there's so little data on this process, as you're finding.

We got pregnant one of the cycles using the kit even though we insemmed way before O. I want to say it was at least three days prior. We were travelling and needed to keep doing IUI to qualify for IVF (insurance thing), so we did it anyway. I would consider it very poor timing for the only insem of a cycle, but it worked. That makes me think the swimmers have close to, if not the same 3-5 day lifespan as fresh sperm. But, that could differ by donor. Not sure. If you're able to do two shipments or trust the refrigeration process and can do two insems with a day in between, then you're probably in a pretty good place.

Good luck!
megin

PS -- Have you investigated getting your donor to bank as a directed donor? That might be a good alternate/back up plan.

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!

User Tag List