DIY insemination - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I agree that Brill's book is far better than Pepper.  I thought Pepper's was very discouraging about DIY at home.  The Taking Control of your Fertility" book is also a great resource.  I charted temps, mucus, opks, ferning, open and closed os with a speculum (and mirror), the moon, my dreams, everything I could for one year.  Certainly, some months were better than others in the charting. And 3 months before trying I also, w/ advice from my naturopath, stopped drinking alcohol and caffine and avoided chemicals (no new car, new paint, new carpet, etc) and took false unicorn root, a prenatal vitamin, and fish oils.    It was very helpful in getting in touch with my body's rhythms. We used frozen sperm and inseminated at home after saying a beautiful prayer and my partner dancing with the sperm vial tucked under her arm to warm it (after the inital 5 minutes in warm water (in a baggie)).  We inseminated 2 times, 12 hours apart and each time I layed with my hips up for 2 hours flip-flopping every 20 min. (we set the alarm and snuggled - best we could with my hips elevated).  two weeks later, I peed positive on a pregnancy test and tomorrow our son will be 9 months old.

DIY insemination can happen with great results.  The clinic we visited before we decided to try at home treated me like I was infertile and wanted to do a gazillion tests that cost big bucks.  furthermore, they wanted us to see a psychotherapist (my partner is one) so we "knew what we were getting into". Later we found out that only same sex couples have to see the psychotherapist. yuck!

I wish you the best!!! 

Ema to my dear son (inseminated at home with frozen donor sperm) born on 6/25/10. h20homebirth.gifnocirc.gif selectivevax.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF bftoddler.gif cd.gifWife to my dear partner.  rainbow1284.gif goorganic.jpg  hang.gif  sewmachine.gif   blogging.jpg.

#32 of 35 Old 03-24-2011, 02:10 PM

oh and... my partner used a syringe.

Ema to my dear son (inseminated at home with frozen donor sperm) born on 6/25/10. h20homebirth.gifnocirc.gif selectivevax.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF bftoddler.gif cd.gifWife to my dear partner.  rainbow1284.gif goorganic.jpg  hang.gif  sewmachine.gif   blogging.jpg.

#33 of 35 Old 12-09-2011, 03:50 PM

I actually didn't find that book particularly helpful.  She didn't really get into the whole "this is how you do an insemination", so my wife and I have been kinda winging it.  6 rounds with BFN (using known donor, so sperm is always fresh!  He's got a good count, my wife's hormones are all fantastic).  We love the "Taking Control of your Fertility".

Although this thread has been more helpful than anything else I've found online.  Thanks guys!  :)

Me (29) and DW (32).  Taking a long break from TTC, back at it sometime in 2015/2016.  2 fur babies cat.gif cat.gif, Mustang and Anastasia.
#34 of 35 Old 12-16-2011, 10:10 AM

We used fresh, not frozen, but I just wanted to say that as long as everything is in working order fertility-wise, there is no reason not to do it at home. The statistics I've read say it has the same effectiveness as if you get it done at a clinic--they may want you to think otherwise but they are doing the same thing that you would be doing, there's no reason why you can't do it yourself. You want to have the stuff go near but not directly into your cervix, but it doesn't have to be too complicated/exact, just squirt it in there and they will swim in right direction. The main thing is to know you're ovulating or going to ovulate in the next few days. I have regular cycles so I just counted the days after my period and went by that. I never actually tested my ovulation because me getting pregnant was kind of a spontaneous thing and I got prego on my first try so I never ended up needing to. My sperm source was free, though, so I guess that makes a big difference in how casual we could be about it. BTW, does everyone know that if you insem on the day you ovulate, you're more likely to have a boy, and if it is 3 or more days before you ovulate you are more likely to have a boy. Just FYI, I thought that was interesting.

#35 of 35 Old 12-19-2011, 03:31 PM

Happy to have found this site, I'm going on my third try the first two doing myself.. I was trying to keep track of temp ( and not easy, since I'm up crazy hours) I took ova test and calculated when would be the most fertile days, Last month I did insem for 9 days with hopes of more cover time,I'm using ND and  a syringe, laying around for 45 min and then using a instead cup so I could get on with my day. Does it really make a difference if I climax or not, I though that arousal  would be best, but some sites said not to climax as it pushes swimmers away.. This last time  I was late on period but it did come:( with my donor moving states next month I have a  bit of pressure to do all that I can,  I looked into getting a catheter syringe and am waiting  for clomid to arrive in the mail.  Any suggestions would be appreciated, and I thank all the previous convo as it has been nice seeing the success rates:)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page