New Year, reNewed Hope - Queer Conceptions January 2010 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 366 Old 01-02-2010, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FtM Papa is our threadkeeper this month, and he needs some renewed hope, so it's your jobs to be hopeful!

Queer Conceptions - January 2010

Waiting to O
  • Quasar
  • Monarchgrrl
  • Tigerlily1
  • MaxK

Marinating

: Waiting to Know... Braving the 2WW :
  • Coco & DP
  • j_on_planet
  • erthe_mama & DP
  • Mistral
  • Wehrli
  • Milletpuff
: Working on IVF :
  • Shadow22 with DP's eggs
Taking a Break & Figuring Things Out & Waiting to be Ready
  • Astro & DP Fozziebear
  • painefaria
  • katherinerose
  • Mtnlisa
  • AmandaHope
  • SPCD & Dp
  • bttrflygypsy
  • Hoping2bMoms
  • Beastie
  • Joyseattle
  • Cejae (gettin' ready for IVF in the spring!)

:2010 Graduates!
January BFPs
Your Name HERE!!!! (with a little luck!)
  • lyndzies :
  • FtMpapa
:2009 Graduates!
December BFPs
  • osker
  • megan sacha
  • mkpgoddess

November BFPs October BFPs
  • JJNoho
  • Mommies 2 Be
  • megincl & ktcl
September BFPs
  • elismum1908
  • KSDoulaMama
  • pleasantlyfurious
August BFPs
  • chicagoml
  • wishin'&hopin'
July BFPs
  • hbog
  • kimlyn32
May BFPs
  • indigoscot's dp
April BFPs
  • Kelmendi
  • KJM
  • whoabethy
  • carmen
March BFPs
  • scalpel
  • katwomyn4
February BFP
  • deny_zoo29
January BFP
  • jodybird511
:2008 Graduates!

December BFPs
  • DM630
  • raene
  • wazzmum
October BFPs
  • JennM1021
  • lexbeach's DP
  • QTRANDI
September BFP
  • Ellie74
August BFPs
  • heart-n-bones
  • Love My Family
July BFPs
  • giggleblue
  • pranava
  • MamaCaveBear
  • quasar (and DP smartycat)
June BFPs
  • starling&diesel
  • PiGirl
  • Erica12009
April BFPs
  • tigermiep
  • MujerMamaMismo
  • tiggerkong22
  • simcon
  • 2happymamas
March BFPs
  • JenInMpls
  • mahrens77
January BFP
  • cookie70
:2007 Graduates!

December BFP
  • Scalpel
November BFPs
  • mamimapster
  • AngelaM
  • solejean
  • lmh222

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#2 of 366 Old 01-02-2010, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Little updates from me:

My insurance finally approved the IVF, I've spared most of you the excruciating details of the saga, but it was denied twice before finally being approved. I tried to get the insurance to cover the IVF meds, but they refused. I can appeal, but there isn't a whole lot of room for appeal, because our policy has some ugly clauses about benefit limitations and somesuch.

Right now, I'm on the hook to pay for about $2500 worth of meds, after I max out my benefits, if I manage to get knocked up, less if I don't, and meds for any future frozen cycles will be out of my pocket. I won't be able to afford any more fresh IVF cycles this year unless I find some other way to get my meds. My clinic doesn't do donated meds, unfortunately. I'm very grumpy about this situation, but there's not much I can do about it except vow to max out my coverage again next year.

Today is cycle day 2 and I'm starting my IVF meds tonight. So far, I like that this cycle is lining up nicely with the calendar. I hope it's an auspicious sign, a good start for a new life for day 1 to land on Jan 1.

It's very weird to feel as little hope as I do with this IVF cycle. I'm tempted to call the whole thing off because it feels so futile. Typically, I have a lot of hope and excitement around doing something new, and IVF definitely counts as something new. I'm trying to bring up my confidence levels, but I'm not sure how. I would love some insight on that.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#3 of 366 Old 01-02-2010, 10:22 PM

Well, I have hope for you Papa and I'm pretty sure most of us on this thread are holding out a ton of hope for you! That said, I definitely understand how it is hard to hold on to those positive emotions for yourself. So let us hold them for you until you are back to your relentlessly positive self! I'm really really happy to hear about your insurance covering the IVF, if not all the meds. Ugh. I'm really sorry about that part.

AFM, I'll hang out in "taking a break" until April (assuming my AMH test comes back with a remotely decent number...).

Professional nerd, DP to Megan and mommy to 3 y/o Bam Bam . TTC since January '09.  Welcomed our new babes May 22, 2011. Now living life in the NICU one day at a time.
#4 of 366 Old 01-03-2010, 10:03 PM

Happy New Year, everyone!

Papa: So glad they finally got their act together and approved the IVF, at least. And yeah for auspicious beginnings.

AFM, I have my first acupuncture appointment tomorrow AM. I'm seeing one of the people who is in my insurance network, and hopefully we can work out having the insurance cover it. Otherwise, I can get a 20% discount even if Group Health decides they won't pay. I know nothing about this woman, other than a few positive reviews online and that she does work with fertility issues, so hopefully I like her.

Oh, and Papa, thanks for the rec of The Infertility Cure. Very interesting, and from what I read, I may have some PCOS issues. I don't have any of the "normal" symptoms (other than being overweight, but it's not belly fat), but I do have nearly all of the TCM symptoms.

Cejae: I'm right with you. I'm hoping that 3 months of acupuncture/TCM stuff will get me ovulating better and lengthen my LP, and that we will figure out where we're getting sperm from. Tentatively planning the next insem around the second week of April, just in time to be preggo for my 30th birthday.

Living with my DW, ourcat.gifAstrid, my mom and dad, and their dog and cats, too.  Hoping to start TTC with my OSO as baby-daddy soonish!

#5 of 366 Old 01-04-2010, 12:23 AM

Papa - I'm so glad you got the insurance stuff figured out, but it's crappy that you have to shell out so much $$ for the meds. Here's hoping this will just be a one shot BLAMO your pregnant sort of thing!

Oh, and thanks so much for taking the January thread. Wonderful of you to do it!

Katherinerose and cejae - sorry that you've both got to wait. I have a feeling the time will fly by, though.

AFM - I know I've been kinda quiet lately... first two weeks of the cycle, compounded with my bitterness about last cycle = trying to avoid thinking about TTC recently. But, I've got insems coming up this week, so I have no choice but to think about it (preferably positively).

So, papa... if you figure out how to get your confidence level up, please share. I'm sort of stuck in a "why should this cycle be different than any other?" funk. I hate it, because this sort of thinking is so uncharacteristic of me. Bleh.

How's everyone else doing lately? I'm not the only one who's been lurkish.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#6 of 366 Old 01-04-2010, 02:46 AM

Papa, glad the insurance company decided to pay for something, but it is simply ridiculous that the meds wouldn't be covered as well. That doesn't even make sense. It's unbelievable how much they've jerked you around. But I have high hopes for you this time around!

We've been out of town for the past few days and I haven't been online much, but there's not too much to report so far. I'm on CD 9 now and finally stopped spotting, so I'll be temping and POASing starting tomorrow.

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.
#7 of 366 Old 01-04-2010, 09:24 AM

Papa - I'm happy to hear that your insurance is going to cover your meds, less then meds. That's really expensive, I think I know a site that offers discounted meds, if you are interested let me know. (site is bookmarked @ work)

2nd try was a charm! BFP EDD 10/17/10 Beta @ 12 dpo - 92 Beta @ 15 dpo - 902 - It's a GIRL - Olivia Grace 10/18/10 6lb 12 oz
#8 of 366 Old 01-04-2010, 01:01 PM

Hi all, and happy new year!

I'm not posting much, trying to lay low and heal a bit more from our loss (I'm feeling pretty good, mostly, but have sort of surprise attacks of sadness). I'm just finishing my first AF since the termination, which is a good step towards TTC later this year, but still hard to grapple with. Depending on how we feel, we may try again in March (aiming for a winter break baby), or else probably on our original schedule of trying in July through September (aiming for a summer break baby). I know how silly this limited schedule might seem, especially to those of you who've been TTC for such a long haul, but the few weeks that I was pregnant last semester really confirmed for me some of the ugly realities of parenting in academic life.

Anyway, the point of this update is to let you all know that I'm here, I'm rooting for you all, and I'm gearing up to join in full-force sometime soon!

Lydzies, I am so sorry for your recent ups and downs, and I'm hoping that your low spirits at the start of this cycle are setting you up for really great news in a few weeks!

FTMPapa, thanks for threadkeeping, and for inspiring us all with your kicking ass and taking names on the insurance end of things. I totally believe in good-luck signs like having a cycle that lines up with the calendar, and FX that one IVF cycle is all it takes!

Everyone else: I hope that those of you who are TTC this cycle are out of here and on to the queer and pregnant list before I'm back full time! And I'm looking forward to joining some of the "taking a break" team when we regroup soon.

With love and fertile thoughts,
Beastie

Joyful, busy, often overwhelmed queer academic mama to an awesome toddler and:

****5****10****15****20****25**heartbeat.gif*30****35****40

#9 of 366 Old 01-04-2010, 01:20 PM

Lyndzies, I'm so sorry to hear about your funk and I so understand it. As for why it should be different than any other? Well a) you've gotten pregnant before and b) I like to think of TTC like rolling a die or flipping a coin - at some point the winning number or heads comes up. Statistics. What can I say, I'm a sociologist .

katharinerose, acupuncture is awesome. It totally changed my cycle and shrunk my endometrioma and decreased my migraines from 1-2 a week to 1-2 a month. Is it the needles or the 45 minutes of peace and quiet each week? Who knows? But it works so I really don't care. Keep us posted!

Beastie, it's good to see you here and updating. I can't imagine how hard it must be to pick up and move forward after your loss. As for conceiving on an academic schedule, we have been struggling with the same thing. In fact that's why we are putting off IVF until April. We don't have an official maternity leave policy at my school (shoot - we just implemented our first sexual harassment policy!) so I do understand the trying for summer or winter break. Ah, academia...

Professional nerd, DP to Megan and mommy to 3 y/o Bam Bam . TTC since January '09.  Welcomed our new babes May 22, 2011. Now living life in the NICU one day at a time.
#10 of 366 Old 01-04-2010, 04:11 PM

Papa- keeping my fingers crossed for you.

katharinerose- good luck with the acupuncture. I've never tried it but always wanted to. There is a cheap(er) clinic right near my work and I've been thinking about going and trying it out. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

AFM- Just hanging out, waiting to O. We'll get the sperm delivery this Thursday, and then I should O next Monday. We're really excited! Unfortunately, DW REALLY has her hopes up that it will take on the first try. I've told her a million times that it likely won't. I don't like to get my hopes up. I'm realistic. I've put sperm purchase into our budget for the next 6 months. But she's just certain! Ugh! She does tend to be quite psychic, so we'll see if her gift is right this time.

I'm still trying to decide on the exact time of the insems. We have two vials. I know that I O within 24 of the +OPK, not 36. DW works nights, and we really want her to do it. I know they say to do it 12 and 24 hours after first +OPK. But mine stays perfectly positive all day. Then it's completely negative the next day (O day). So, I don't know what time to say the OPK was +. 10am? 12pm? 4pm? 6pm? The only times we will both be home from work is from 7-8am and 5pm-8pm. So, should we do it 8am the day after the +OPK and 6pm? Part of me really wants to do it at 8pm of OPK+ day and 8am of O day. Is that a bad idea? Anyone have any advice?

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#11 of 366 Old 01-04-2010, 08:06 PM

Monarchgrrl: Good luck with your first (?!) try! We got pregnant the very first time we tried (which was awesome, even if it didn't work out), so I'll join your DP in hoping that it doesn't take 6 months. As for the timing of the insems, we did two ICI (the first time with one vial of sperm, the second time with two vials) 24 hours apart. Partly we did this for logistical reasons (we both wanted to be there, and nights worked better for us), and partly we did it because we were following the Brill advice that most people insem too early, since frozen sperm has such a shortened life cycle. So, if I were you, I might try once the morning that you get the OPK+, and once the following morning. But since you know so much about your O pattern, your idea of once in the morning and once at night sounds ok to me too.

Cejae, thanks for your kind words, and for the professional nerd solidarity! We also have no leave beyond the federally mandated 6 weeks (which is hard to swing in a fifteen week semester), though we do have the option to pause the tenure clock. But only having a few months a year to TTC is hard, so I guess DP and I will play it by ear as we go.

Beatie

Joyful, busy, often overwhelmed queer academic mama to an awesome toddler and:

****5****10****15****20****25**heartbeat.gif*30****35****40

#12 of 366 Old 01-04-2010, 08:15 PM

Monarch: Beginner's luck to you! I also tend to O (or at least thought I did) within about 24 hours. Go from the time of the first +OPK, if you can, but I'd err on the side of closer to O. Am I correct that you get your first +OPK in the AM on say, Saturday, then negative Sunday, then your temp rise on Monday, the second day after the positive? I'd aim for one Saturday evening and then on Sunday afternoon.

AFM: Acupuncture visit was really interesting. The woman was really nice and has no problem billing the insurance to treat for my allergies (which I'm happy to have treated) but primarily work on my fertility issues. Of course I forgot to bring the charts I so nicely printed out for her to look at. But from what I described, she thinks there is a chance that I'm ovulating up to several days before my temp goes up. (Possible TMI Alert) I have spotting around day 12-13 with lots of sticky CM (like it would be EW if it weren't so thick), then things clear up and I start getting real EWCM for about 4 days before my temp rise. She thinks it may be that I'm O'ing earlier but everything else isn't synced up properly, and I do seem to show a temp drop and rise closer to day 16 or so (which also corresponds with increased libido which I never mark because it's so far before what I thought was ovulation!). It just takes a few more days for the rest of my hormones to get with the program.

So I've been told to eliminate sugar (which isn't too bad for me) and most cheeses (which is going to be far more difficult), exercise more (already on the to do list) and once she sees my charts she'll put me on herbs, which will be next week. As long as I can get my mother to stop bringing the ice cream and refrain from making mac and cheese, we should be OK.

Living with my DW, ourcat.gifAstrid, my mom and dad, and their dog and cats, too.  Hoping to start TTC with my OSO as baby-daddy soonish!

#13 of 366 Old 01-05-2010, 05:27 AM

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

Papa -- that's great about the IVF coverage. I hope covering the meds isn't too bad and your IVF results in a sticky BFP!

Lyndzies and Monarchgrrl -- best of luck on your uncoming insems!

katharinerose -- that's great about the acu. Hopefully it helps with both allergies and fertility. It sounds like you already have some insight for your next ttc cycle.

Beastie -- I hope your break goes quickly and your timing for ttc works out perfectly.

AFM: We've been on break since our last TTC cycle (early November) while we bought a house, started renovating it and celebrated the holidays. (Papa, can you please move me to that category?) I recently checked on our donor's profile on our banks website and was shocked to see he was sold out. We have 9 vials left (3=bfn). My new plan is to lose some weight, continue all the good things for my body and try to optimize our chances when we try again. This may mean going to an RE for monitoring in conjunction with our at-home IUIs. I'd love any recommendations of things I can add to my list or for books on this subject.

Joy (29), wife to C (28) and dog-momma to Kai (6).
After a ridiculously long break, we resumed ttc (me carrying) with frozen donor sperm, home insem day of O (11/20) = bfp! Wishing for a sticky baby!

#14 of 366 Old 01-05-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Katharinerose - that sounds promising! I'm so glad you found someone to treat your allergies on the books and your fertility off the books.

I'll update the first post soon...I'm waiting to get the code from Osker, if someone has the old code in their inbox, send it my way. I just don't want to rebuild the post from scratch, so hang tight on updates for now.

Beastie By the by, FMLA is twelve weeks...surely you could get them to give you non-teaching duties for three weeks and take a semester? I know that's what we unofficially do with our 15 week semesters and 12 week leaves. Of course, they still expect you to structure things so that you miss a semester fairly evenly...

I'm adding this to the list of things I hate about the academy. And the US. It's worse in the states than at home.

I'm preparing for the flack - I scheduled my IVF as early in January as I could, but I couldn't risk my donor still being away on the day of my egg retrieval (he's getting in tonight, we have good timing) I was hoping to have the IVF done, top to bottom, in time to go back to work on the 20th with nobody being the wiser.

I was thinking CD 1 by Jan 1, which happened. Retrieval by Jan 12th, the 14th at the latest, which is likely to happen, and then transfer by the 15th to 18th, back to work the 20th.

However, I seem to have some vague memory that my RE recommends a few days of bed rest following the transfer, and I'm now scheduled for a meeting on the 19th, and I'm not too sure what to do. I think I'm going to have to wait and see another week until we know the timeline and then contact my employer and see what we can work out. It might get very ugly. I feel bad not telling them right now, but I feel like nothing is for sure right now, I mean, this cycle could get cancelled at this point, for all I know. The transfer could be as early as the 15th, say, and that means I'll be totally fine by the 19th, or the transfer could be as late as the 20th, theoretically.

Of course, I'm still expected to work, in bed or not, so I can probably SKYPE in for the meeting. I love being an academic. /sarcasm

At the very least, I'm supposed to "take it easy" so I'm working with my doctor to get a parking pass closer to my building - my current one is a 15 minute walk up a hill, I'm aiming for somehting on the same level as my building, a ten minute walk is fine, I just don't think I'll be up for 15 minutes straight up. I'm going to try to plan to not carry anything heavy.

And this will all go for my entire pregnancy, hopefully.

#15 of 366 Old 01-05-2010, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thread is updated to here! I tried to move some people to taking a break if we haven't heard from you in the past couple of months.

Please check your spot in the top post, and if it's not right, let me know and I'll get you fixed up right quick.

My MDC addict tip-o-the-day is that you can go in User CP and change the settings so that you can see 100 posts at a time - for most threads, it means you can see the whole thread on one page. I think the default is 20, makes for much easier and faster reading.

#16 of 366 Old 01-06-2010, 09:48 AM

Papa - Thanks for the tip, that will be helpful.

2nd try was a charm! BFP EDD 10/17/10 Beta @ 12 dpo - 92 Beta @ 15 dpo - 902 - It's a GIRL - Olivia Grace 10/18/10 6lb 12 oz
#17 of 366 Old 01-06-2010, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the tip, Papa! I never knew that in the two years I've been a member here.

I really hope that you're able to make a go of it this cycle and that the retrieval and transfer goes extremely well. It's coming up quickly! I'm so excited for you!!

I finally have the last part of the paperwork process done and can order the swim team at any time! I had to get a current signature from my doctor for the home shipping. Today was DS's 9 month check-up, so I asked her while I was there. She's all geeked about us trying again! I was really nervous that she'd be judgmental thinking it was too soon or something, but she happily signed the form. We had a midwife sign for us the last time and were thinking we'd be making a trip out to her office if our doctor wasn't on board with it. So now I just need to fax that over this afternoon and call to release our stored units for shipment. I'm on cycle day 12 and have been tending to have late O's so it'll probably still be another week before we inseminate. I was thinking of having them ship it out today though just in case my body decides to O early, which has happened in the past. I'd rather have the tank here than have to scramble to get it delivered at some outrageous cost.

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.
#18 of 366 Old 01-06-2010, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the timing advice, Beastie and katherinerose! Yes, that's the scenario I'm talking about, katherinerose. Thanks!

FtMpapa- not a big deal, but when you have time, can you change my name on the list to Monarchgrrl please? (not girl) Thanks! Great tip. I never knew that! Sounds like you'll be "taking it easy" for a while. That's great- though probably stressful, too.

quasar- Good luck! Looks like we'll be inseminating around the same time. Our swimmers will be delivered tomorrow! EEEK! I can definitely say that it will be the first time sperm was ever in our house (well, outside of a body hehe). DW is kinda squicked out about that stuff, so insemination should be funny and interesting!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#19 of 366 Old 01-06-2010, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Monargrrl - sorry about that, I gave you your R back and took away that pesky I.

End of next week sounds good for fertilizing! I'll be joining you guys in the 2ww. I get a bit of a shortcut, because my 2ww will only be 9 days after the 5 day transfer, but I think we'll all be testing together.

I'm switching my meds up a bit, but I'm responding well to the Gonal-F, I had ten follicles today, and they're thinking maybe two or three more of the small ones will catch up, so somewhere around 11 or 12 is likely.

I'm on target for egg retrieval next Thursday! Obviously, a lot can happen between now and then, and I have another ultrasound date with the dildo cam on Friday, so I'll keep you all posted, but things are looking good so far!

(Excpet that I am so lazy. I can't seem to get out of bed. I've been having headaches in the afternoons, and I'm sluggish and tired all day, if I move around too much, my belly hurts, and my ovaries are twitching off and on...)

#20 of 366 Old 01-06-2010, 07:43 PM

Papa, thanks for moving me... MIA - that's so cute!

waving to everyone else as i have limited time to post...

afm: testing friday morning... i have a pretty good feeling... nauseas in the morning (i swear i could throw-up but i have a strong stomach for that and it takes alot for me to actually do it even with the flu), big blue veins in my BBs (never noticed it before, didn't even realize it was a symptom until i checked online), cramping since 6dpi (never before), and frequent wee breaks... but then again, i'm sure i'm just obsessing... i will post results as soon as i can friday, for those interested.

good luck to all and take care...

-r

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#21 of 366 Old 01-07-2010, 02:52 AM

Hmm, well now I'm not sure what we're doing for our insemination. We might end up holding off this month again. You can keep me in waiting to O, since we still might do it next week. smartycat brought up a completely different scenario, so I think we might be going back to the discussion phase of things. But who knows. This is always a rocky ride and just when I was getting all excited to try again, things changed. I'll keep you updated on what we end up doing, but I'd love to join the next week inseminators team.

#22 of 366 Old 01-07-2010, 11:14 AM

quasar - I hope you'll get to join those of us who'll be in the TWW over the next couple of weeks. What are the issues that came up, if you don't mind me asking?

wehrli - eeeek! um, totally interested! Can't wait to see what tomorrow's results are!

Monarchgrrl - yippee for the swim team's arrival today! Looking forward to powering through the TWW together.

Mistral - What's up w/ you, girl? I feel like I'm all discombobulated on everyone's status. :P I guess that's what happens when you take some time away from obsessing on MDC.

FtMPapa - re: egg retrieval next week! So, when does that mean your TWW will be? I always get confused about the timing of that stuff... been thinking of you and sending super positive thoughts into the universe for your IVF this cycle. I have good feelings!!!

AFM - I've begun marinating.

Going to "that place" where I"m worrying I'm going to O late again. Grrrr. Really would be a great surprise if the OPK could just PLEASE BE POSITIVE tomorrow. *sigh*

Two more insems, today and tomorrow. PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE let KD be open to doing another insem next week if it's needed.

WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE SO DAMN COMPLICATED SOMETIMES?

/rant.

I'm sorry. I know I've got one of the luckiest, easiest situations w/ regard to sperm access and no (known) fertility issues. Just... well, you know.

Because this negative thinking is no good, I started blogging again, which has been helping. If any of you care to visit, I'm at http://carbonateyourday.blogspot.com. I'm trying to focus on putting positive energy out into the universe there, and none of the blog is (planned to be) TTC-focused (so, if you visit and comment, TIA for not mentioning TTC! It's a TTC-free zone). Lol. It's the only TTC-free zone in my life right now. I think it may be helping, though. The distraction and re-focusing of my energy is a really good thing!

Do any of you keep (public) blogs? Since I started again, I've been looking for more to read...

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#23 of 366 Old 01-07-2010, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Lyndzies, I've put you on to marinate!

I'll join the 2ww at the time of retrieval, more or less.

Retrieval is O day, and then transfer happens on 5 DPretrieval/O, so my I get a little window on the early part of the 2ww, because they'll be watching the embryos develop in the lab (and hopefully sending me pics! How cool would that be to have a pic of my baby as 8 cells?)

So, my 2ww post transfer is really "only" going to be 9 or 10 days.

I think I'll put a countdown in my siggy once I get to retrieval. Right now, there's nothing definite to count down to.

I started the new meds last night, I'm now taking 3 different drugs and my ovaries are the size of hardballs....mine are usually very small, more like the size of almonds still in the shell.

Lethargy continues, but at least I'm out of bed today. Baby steps my friends.

#24 of 366 Old 01-07-2010, 12:56 PM

For a while we had considered using smartycat's eggs with me carrying. However, the plan this time was to do 'regular' IUIs as we had done in the past. Yesterday I chatted with the bank, sent in the paperwork and was all ready to call for the shipment. But as we were driving in to work together, smartycat put the brakes on that idea and mentioned that she wanted to use her eggs. We haven't fully discussed the option again, and I'm nervous about the whole process of doing that, but I would love to give her the opportunity to have a child that's biologically hers.

#25 of 366 Old 01-08-2010, 03:43 PM

Papa - well, that's pretty great that you have a shorter TWW! Although it comes with a lot of other waiting for other things to happen. Thinking SUCH positive thoughts for you this cycle!

quasar - I see. Wow, that's a lot to consider. I feel lucky that DP itsn't really hung up on the biology part of it. Although I know she'll have to deal with some emotions regarding it at one point or another, especially since we're so close with our KD. Oh, the crazy complications we all deal with! I hope you come to a decision you are both happy and comfortable with.

AFM - Last insem today, and still marinating. I feel like today was a really "good" insem. Got to do it at home, snuggled up in my own bed and lying down for a good 20 minutes before I got bored and put the Instead in.

Got an almost + looking OPK this morning; I'm marking it + for now, but will change it if I get a "more positive" one later today or tomorrow. that I O tomorrow! OH PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE. My wonderfully sensitive and sweet KD said that we could do another one next week if needed... but he's not available tomorrow or Sunday, so if I do O late, it better be at least a few days late. Otherwise, I'll be sitting here patiently waiting for my Sophie.

#26 of 366 Old 01-08-2010, 04:52 PM

(x-posted in Tying to Conceive)

Maybe someone here has some advice. I didn't think I would stress so much! Geez!

Why do things have to change the first time we're inseminating??

Here's the situation that I need advice on. Anyone have any advice for me?

We've got two vials of frozen swimmers waiting at our house right now. This will be our first try. In 6 months of charting, my cycles have been regular. I'm supposed to O around this Monday. Here's my problem. For every other month of using OPK's (3 months) I would have stark white negatives every day, then on the surge day I would have a light line, not as dark as the control line. That line would last all day and evening. But then the next day it would be stark white again. I always O on that day, then get the temp rise the day after. It's been this way every month. So, even though the line doesn't get as dark as the control line, I knew that the faint line day was my surge day.

Here's the change for this cycle:

I shouldn't have changed anything, but the only thing I did differently is I started taking 100mg of B-6 at the end of last cycle to lengthen my LP. Well, yesterday was the first day I would usually start the OPK's. I used two yesterday and the definite faint line was there. It's not supposed to be there until Sunday. So, I went out and bought the CBE digital OPK and it said negative, but I've read that the threshold is higher for those. So I'm now thinking that if I never get a dark OPK line, then those digitals might never show positive for me, right? So, we decided to not insem this morning and see if maybe the B-6 is going to actually make my OPK's look darker and gradual, like they should, with a really dark one hopefully on Sunday. I've taken one OPK today so far and the faint line is still there, so that's promising for that scenario, right? My CM is not EW or even creamy like usual for O.

So, should I still wait it out? If I do, and I'm O'ing today, then the swimmers (well, the $200 shipping costs) are wasted. Should I do one insem tonight and if my temp doesn't rise tomorrow, then save the other vial for a clearer OPK or + digital? But then, either way, one vial is wasted. I'm so confused. Every other cycle has been exactly the same and now this one is different.

Here are my charts if it helps anything. TIA! Sorry this was so long. I'm stressing out.

#27 of 366 Old 01-08-2010, 05:35 PM

6am no temp drop
6:30 am - BFN with a CBE Digi
FF says AF due tomorrow

so much for having a good feeling... poor DP is taking it harder than me.

Best of luck to those trying or testing this weekend.

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#28 of 366 Old 01-08-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndzies View Post
[

Mistral - What's up w/ you, girl? I feel like I'm all discombobulated on everyone's status. :P I guess that's what happens when you take some time away from obsessing on MDC.
Hey girl! I have a ttc blog but that isn't public, if you read my post from my last TWW you will think I LOST my mind, haha. But I did start a food blog last week, so I'll give you the link soon, I'm still working on a few things.

If you are feeling good vibes about that last insem, maybe this is the cycle for you, fingers crossed.

Good luck!

Long post below for the brave:

As far as everything else goes, this year is not starting off as well as we expected, I am hoping things turn around soon.

As I mentioned a couple weeks ago, my wife fainted at work and went to the ER and she couldn't talk (slurred speech) and she couldn't feel half of her face. The doctor said it might be dehydration (she drinks more than anyone I know) gave her an IV and sent her home. She has continued to faint, and since then, she has been really dizzy and sick to her stomach. She went to the doctor, they said it might be related to her pituitary adenoma (found out this summer) and to see that doctor. Long story short, she's gotten sicker by the day, so she went to the doctor every day this week, they've run mri's, blood test, stool samples, ect. They still don't know what is wrong, but they think in addition to whatever is going on that she might have sleep apnea so she has to have sleep test. But more importantly, the doctor also gave her a stomach ultrasound and somehow that turned into a vaginal ultrasound with the dildo cam and 3 doctors ended up in the room and the doctor told her that she could never get pregnant and if by some miracle she did get pregnant, she couldn't carry it to term, and then left the room, no explanation, nothing. So of course, she calls me at work balling her eyes out (plan was me carry one, her carry one). I told her not to worry about it too much, because it's not like an RE or OB told her this and to just think positive until we talk to them. But we did learn that she has a pretty bad case of fibroids on both ovaries and a cyst on the left ovary. She does not have heavy periods so that was really shocking.

Aside from that, things are fine, I'm waiting for my period to start so that we can move on to cycle number 2, provide nothing is so serious where we have to skip a cycle.

If you read all that, wow and thank you.

AFM: how is everyone doing? Any updates?

#29 of 366 Old 01-08-2010, 10:19 PM

Hi all!
I'm back after a few cycles off. One was planned off and then I did have IUI #4 at the beginning of December, but it was another BFN. It was a really stressful time with my DP's mom in town (she's a lot to handle) and learning of a cancer diagnosis of a close friend. He was diagnosed with the same cancer my dad died from in 2006. Unfortunately my friend passed away on Monday .

When I got BFN #4 we realized that our next insem day would be right around Christmas and had to take the cycle off because the clinic lab was closed the 24th-4th!!! I didn't really want to take the cycle off, but it was probably for the best with the holidays and all. It turned out to be really stressful mostly due to my friend's illness and passing.

But, we are on track for insem this cycle, today is CD #1!! SO, FtmPapa can I pleased be moved to Waiting to O??

Thanks!!!
#30 of 366 Old 01-08-2010, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mistral - That all sucks. I hope you get some real answers soon, but in the meantime, ignore the ER doc, he has no idea what he's talking about, and whatever you see on an ultrasound is not definitive, you need an HSG or HSG to really know what's going on inside a uterus, and fibroids can be removed, and you're absolutely right, he's not an OB or RE or GYN surgeon, so ignore him.

I hope you find out what's making her sick and that she gets better right quick.

Monarchgrrl: It's Murphy's law of TTC - the first month you insem, something insane will always happen. I was scheduled to O on the long Easter weekend my first time around, and so I had problems getting the tank ordered on time with the Friday holiday, and then I got a huge massive nasty cold, and, and, and. It always happens around here.

I say watch your other signs carefully, and if you really have to send it back, it's not the end of the world. Better to send it back if you don't think you're Oing than to waste the swimmers, right?

Depending on how long you have the tank for, it might be possible to add more liquid nitrogen to the tank, so hang tight.

I know for me, I always feel like that OPK is never going to turn positive, and then it finally does. Keep peeing! And stop drinking water, I've always had to be very dehydrated for OPKs to work at all for me. O soon!

Wehrli: It ain't over 'til it's over. But if it's over, I'm really sorry.

Lyndzies: You have such a good shot, especially with fresh. Hopefully you O today or tomorrow, but even if you didn't O 'til Weds, you'd still have a shot.

AFM - I'm starting to get some EWCM...but like little tiny bits, not the gobs and gobs you would expect with an estrogen level over 700, and with ten follicles. I had u/s and b/w today, I'm still on the same drugs, aiming for a retrieval no earlier than Monday...I'm hoping for earlier than later, but it's all variable. Going back for another u/s tomorrow, no bloodwork.

I'm so bloated, it's ridiculous. I can't wear anything but sweats, because my belly is all distended. I'm a big guy, but this is visibly swollen. It hurts to walk, my back is killing me. It's super frustrating because I can't take anything for the back, beyond Tylenol, my favourite muscle relaxant is verboten, but it doesn't really matter anyway, because it's not the muscles, it's the swelling in my abdomen pushing against my spine, as far as I can tell. I forgot to mention it to the nurse today, I'm hoping it's not a sign of something seriously wrong, like OHSS or something wrong with my kidneys or something.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page