Gay-friendly beach town on the East Coast? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 02-24-2010, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're planning for a beach vacation this summer and since I've never ever been to a beach on the east coast, I'd love some recommendations for places that aren't too touristy or homophobic.

Thanks!!

Mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09)
#2 of 35 Old 02-24-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
We're planning for a beach vacation this summer and since I've never ever been to a beach on the east coast, I'd love some recommendations for places that aren't too touristy or homophobic.

Thanks!!
Ha, I just sent this to you in a PM, but I'll put it here too- if you can swing it financially, Provincetown rocks! Family Week is the first week in August, and even if you don't participate in any of the "events," it's just so awesome to be on the beach with hundreds of other queer families.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#3 of 35 Old 02-24-2010, 12:50 PM

Ogunquit is actually very gay-friendly... but touristy ;-)

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

#4 of 35 Old 02-24-2010, 12:54 PM

Isn't EVERYTHING on the east coast touristy?

I really liked Ptown when I visited there. I would love to rent a house in Ptown for a few weeks in the summer when I have oodles of money and free time.

And, yeah, it's touristy, but the entire Cape is.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#5 of 35 Old 02-24-2010, 02:17 PM

i 2nd or 3rd the ptown suggestion. it doesn't get any gay friendlier than ptown!!

Me, DW , and DS born 7/6/10
#6 of 35 Old 02-24-2010, 03:45 PM

You don't get more gay friendly than P-Town, and you've got the bayside as well as the ocean (Race Point is my favorite). We live in Brewster (on the Cape) and have not had any issues of people not being gay friendly. It's also my home town so if anyone gave me any trouble I'd tell them to pack it on back to NJ, NY, or CT! (That's where most of our tourists are from.)

Eryn, wife to Amy, Mum to Eli, b. 1/9/08 and Willow, b. 5/29/10
#7 of 35 Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco99 View Post
Ogunquit is actually very gay-friendly... but touristy ;-)
That's funny that you mentioned it...was just earlier thinking it looked great, but wasn't sure about the gay-friendliness factor.

Thanks for all the recommendations! Now it's narrowed down to P-town or Ogunquit.

#8 of 35 Old 02-24-2010, 06:40 PM

Ptown for sure.
You can also stay in Truro for less and drive to Ptown in a few minutes. Although staying in town and walking from your hotel or B&B up Commercial St. for coffee in the AM or an icecream at night sure is nice. It depends on what you're looking for and your budget.
#9 of 35 Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 PM

Ogunquit! We go for a week every summer. have since we were kids.

spam warning: my parents own a rental house there. I have no idea if it is booked for the summer, but you are welcome to shoot me a PM if you want and I can ask them.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#10 of 35 Old 02-26-2010, 10:59 PM

I second Ogunquit! We stopped there several years ago on our way to Bar Harbor - had no idea it was such a gay-friendly town until we got there and saw the rainbow flags everywhere! P-town is great too - though I've come to believe that all of the Cape is pretty gay-friendly - I grew up going there several times a year to visit family. I really don't know which one I like best!

Erika, mama to Sawyer 6/04 joy.gifand Gracie 7/10energy.gif  :, dw Amy:

treehugger.gifsaynovax.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifRainbow.gif

#11 of 35 Old 02-27-2010, 03:19 AM

DP & I did a road trip from Baltimore and DC and then up the coast to Maine in 2008. We stopped in Ogunquit because it looked cute...we had inseminated at home before flying to Baltimore and by the time we were in Ogunquit I was 12 DPO...so I tested at our hotel and got a BFP on a digital (sadly pregnancy ended)! We went out to celebrate and went to a piano bar and after sitting there for about 5 minutes we realized that it was completely full of gay men and lesbians...it was awesome and a ton of fun! The beaches are lovely and it was really low key and laid back. I would totally recommend it for a weekend away. We also went to P-town and while it was really fun, it was a completely different vibe - busier for sure.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#12 of 35 Old 02-27-2010, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Cool! Looks like we're going to Ogunquit this year! Thanks for all the recommendations! When we're more social we'll check out Ptown.

#13 of 35 Old 02-27-2010, 12:26 PM

I am not gay but I saw this thread pop up. I highly reccommend Rehoboth Beach Deleware. We have been vacationing there since I was a kid and it is very gay-friendly and family friendly with tons to do for kids and adults.

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#14 of 35 Old 02-27-2010, 02:09 PM

I second Rehoboth Beach, DE. Very gay. Can't wait to take my LO there.

mom to DS born 5/29/09, DS #2 born 5/2/2011, partner to a PhD (finally!), pleased to be co-sleepin', lovin' our 3 cats and 4 dogs and raisin' our LOs vegetarian.
#15 of 35 Old 02-27-2010, 03:35 PM

We go to Rehoboth because we live in MD now. We aren't gay, but I like the friendly vibe. I grew up in New EnglaNd, though, so if you can stand COLD water, Ptown and Ogunquit are both awesome. The midAtlantic isn't exactly warm, but it doesn't hurt at least.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#16 of 35 Old 02-27-2010, 04:17 PM

Great thread! DP and I live so close to the Atlantic Ocean we can hear it from our backyard, but our beaches here in Southeast NC are definitely not gay friendly. Looks like we'll be traveling north in the summers!

Amanda (32)ribbonrainbow.gif Sue (37)
*****In Love since 2006*****
TTC #1 since March 2010 
#17 of 35 Old 03-03-2010, 03:57 PM

I would also recommend Rehobeth DE!

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#18 of 35 Old 03-03-2010, 04:03 PM

Not sure if you're up for going south south, but anywhere in the FL Keys is gay friendly, and as long as you stay out of Key West it is kid-friendly and not touristy. Specifically, I'm thinking Marathon/Duck Key or Islamorada.

#19 of 35 Old 03-04-2010, 02:06 PM

THanks for the info on Rehoboth DE! I've never heard of it, but it sounds like something we may look into! I can never figure out how people actually swim in ME - the water is freezing, even in August!!! But the rocky beach is gorgeous!

Erika, mama to Sawyer 6/04 joy.gifand Gracie 7/10energy.gif  :, dw Amy:

treehugger.gifsaynovax.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifRainbow.gif

#20 of 35 Old 03-06-2010, 12:06 AM

I Rehoboth!!! We love that there are lots of camping options (to keep it affordable) and they have a dog friendly beach - and it's near Assateague, where the wild ponies roam.

Have fun wherever you decide to go!

Still madly in stillheart.gif with jb after 10 years and chasing after my precocious toddler jog.gif    

***joy.gif***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40    computergeek2.gif westphillymama.com

#21 of 35 Old 03-06-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
That's funny that you mentioned it...was just earlier thinking it looked great, but wasn't sure about the gay-friendliness factor.

Thanks for all the recommendations! Now it's narrowed down to P-town or Ogunquit.
It is so gay friensly that we ended up in a 4plex leased by a couple of gay guys and that was full of gay families... without even knowing it until we got there. If you pick ogunquit, ill let you know who they are of you want to ! Also, there is a gay bar too if you like that sort of thing (we dont but hey, some people do !!).

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

#22 of 35 Old 03-08-2010, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco99 View Post
It is so gay friensly that we ended up in a 4plex leased by a couple of gay guys and that was full of gay families... without even knowing it until we got there. If you pick ogunquit, ill let you know who they are of you want to ! Also, there is a gay bar too if you like that sort of thing (we dont but hey, some people do !!).
We did make reservations in Ogunquit. Gay bar...sounds fun...those were the days. Now we're too covered in spit-up to enter those doors. Lol.

#23 of 35 Old 03-08-2010, 09:22 PM

Asbury Park, NJ
#24 of 35 Old 04-08-2012, 08:09 PM

Hi, I'm new to the site, and My husband and I just booked a week at a the econolodge, coastal highway this summer with our daughter. We are not homophobic, as we have dear friends whom are gay. We just wanted insight from people who have traveled to Rehoboth beach with their families. Do you recommend? I have heard rehoboth is less touristy than Ocean City, (which is where I wanted to stay in the first place.) Thanks, from older mamma. 

#25 of 35 Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I went to Rehoboth Beach once for a lesbian weekend.  I believe it was an annual event.  It seemed like there were a lot of gay tourists who go there.  I think there were some gay-owned businesses too.  It was a long time ago but I can't imagine it has gotten less gay-friendly.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#26 of 35 Old 05-17-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasantlyfurious View Post

I Rehoboth!!! We love that there are lots of camping options (to keep it affordable) and they have a dog friendly beach - and it's near Assateague, where the wild ponies roam.

Have fun wherever you decide to go!

Happy to see others mention the camping option.  We camp everywhere we go.  We've been to all the places mentioned and camped at each of them.  Is anyone planning to go to family week in p-town?  We are considering it but wouldn't actually sign up for any of the events ($$ for a family of 6, especially since we don't live in an area where we encounter any problems being a two mom family.)  And we'd camp.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#27 of 35 Old 05-18-2012, 10:22 AM

We're going to Family Week, but we rented a little apartment for the week. I have gotten soft and lazy in my old age!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#28 of 35 Old 06-16-2012, 07:04 AM

We'll be on the Cape for Family Week this year, but I don't know that we'll attend any of the organized events (still thinking about it). My mom has rented a house for us (and my sisters, etc.) in North Truro. But we were just there last weekend, camping. I love camping on the cape. We'll go several times this summer, for weekend trips. Anyway, it would be fun to plan to meet up with MDC families there for Family Week this summer, even if none of us end up being official participants.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#29 of 35 Old 06-17-2012, 11:12 AM

lexbeach- so happy to see your presence here.  I read your blog regularly and appreciated the honest insight into how one family works on managing day to day life, big decision, adjustments, etc.  I hope you are all well. (wow- I feel like such a stalker writing that, but I did feel like I knew you somehow!)

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#30 of 35 Old 06-17-2012, 06:12 PM

Lexbeach: 4 + 2 kids? Clearly there is an update here! How are you?

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page