How much testing to get before starting IUIs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-12-2010, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I've read through the archives but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so am stopping lurking to ask for help!
How much testing should I get before I start IUIs? (I have never inseminated before so have no idea of my fertility). My gyn and primary doc did a whole round of basic tests and said all looked good, and I'm using a fertility monitor that says I'm ovulating and I have a biphasic temp pattern, and my cycle is regular. I'm in my early thirties. I have looked into the full, multi-day fertility workup that a RE does and though I have the insurance for it, it seems really extensive and invasive to do off the bat (especially when also handling all the stress and logistics of buying sperm and planning inseminations). I am planning for now at least to do unmedicated and no-ultrasounds IUIs at my gyn office. I am definitely going to do multiple IUIs per cycle.
Did other folks go right into IUIs without first doing the full work-up? Is that foolish to spend so much money on sperm without having been 100% cleared by a RE? Should I set a timeline of a few months of trying and then go in for the work-up?
Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-12-2010, 07:14 PM

Having a goal/plan/timeline is always a good idea. We never did any work-ups, no RE, no doc at all, infact! But it took us three years to get pregnant... of course, a lot of that time was taking a break, etc... but still... having a plan is a great idea!

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#3 of 8 Old 03-12-2010, 08:40 PM

I did one month at home after having all the titres and STD bloodwork done, and some basic hormone tests. Then I switched to an RE, so it was almost daily blood draws, u/s, an HSG, basically every test possible.

I'm really glad I had all the testing done, because it ruled out all the obvious problems, but it gave me a false sense that everything was a Ok.

Just shy of three years later, I got pregnant after IVF. One year of that was back at home with a known donor, nine months I was on a break, and I tried one month at home with spuncle, one month at the OBGYN, and two months at the RE, including the IVF.

It turns out I have really bizarre fertility issues, really low hormone levels, and not overly responsive ovaries.

It might seem reasonable to set a limit, like, I'm going to try at home for X number of months, and then get the following tests, or whatever makes sense for you. There's no right or wrong way to do this, and remember that it's totally Ok to change your mind.

I would say, though, if you're using a KD, which it doesn't sound like you are, get the semen analysis right off the bat, it's minimally invasive and gives great information. Similarly, if using anonymous sperm from a bank, choose a donor with high numbers and many confirmed pregnancies.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#4 of 8 Old 03-12-2010, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for these great responses. I am using a donor from a bank, and he has no confirmed pregnancies because he is brand new, but his numbers seem really great (the two numbers they quoted me were 83 million / 58% motility and 76 million / 78% motility). I know its best to use a donor with reported pg but it seems like they reach their family limit quickly at this bank and we want sperm for multiple pregnancies. Is it a bad idea, even with good numbers, to use one without pg yet? Thanks!
#5 of 8 Old 03-13-2010, 12:11 AM

i went right into inseminating without any work ups. i am 39 so anticipated that it might take a bit longer but we got our bfp on our 3rd cycle. we did 2 iuis that cycle.

i think you might not get the information you are looking for even if you did the work ups because a lot of infertility problems is 'unexplained' and they don't know why someone is not getting pregnant.

it was important to us that we use a donor who had confirmed pregnancies since we didn't want to be the guinea pigs to find out if his stuff worked. we also had friends who used a donor without pregnancies and got pregnant with him.

i would think that the most important thing for you at this point is to get a good handle on your cycle. i say that with the assumption that you don't have any medical issues going on that might suggest infertility issues.

good luck!

Me, DW , and DS born 7/6/10
#6 of 8 Old 03-13-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatobe123 View Post
I know its best to use a donor with reported pg but it seems like they reach their family limit quickly at this bank and we want sperm for multiple pregnancies. Is it a bad idea, even with good numbers, to use one without pg yet? Thanks!
Not if he's new. But, I'd say try a max of 3-6 cycles with the same donor before switching. Some people just aren't compatible, some donors' sperm just doesn't do well after freezing, for unknown reasons, so set timelines and prepare to reevaluate every so often.

In my experience, most of the people TTC around here seem to get pregnant within 3 cycles, and virtually all within 6 cycles. Then there's the ones who are here for the long haul. No telling which camp you'll fall into.

I've also known many people who have tried, tried, tried, tried again, with one donor, only to get pregnant as soon as they switched donors. THere are so many variables.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#7 of 8 Old 03-13-2010, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i would set a time limit for trying before testing based upon how soon you want to be pregnant. i think three months is reasonable. after that, i would look into testing.

as for the donor, i would be more leery of a donor who had been in the system for years with no reported pregnancies. but if he is knew, it's reasonable that he has had no reports. if you like the donor, go for it for three months. if it's not working, i would get testing, and use the same donor when i proceed for like another month or two. if after that i had no issues, then i would switch donors. HTH.

giggle - mommy to GP born 3.16.09 and parter to liberty (GP's mama). hoping to have 2 under 2 in the very near future via DP's ute!
#8 of 8 Old 03-14-2010, 12:26 PM

I agree with pp - I would try a few times without all the testing first. I had NO tests done - did temp charting only - and with both pregnancies had a successful IUI at OBs office the first time with only vial each time. It turns out that I am very fertile (so probably a good thing we can't "accidently" get pregnant, or we'd have a houseful...). I think 3 to 6 cycles is a good way to start, then go for the further interventions if it hasn't worked by then...
Good luck!!!

Erika, mama to Sawyer 6/04 joy.gifand Gracie 7/10energy.gif  :, dw Amy:

treehugger.gifsaynovax.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifRainbow.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page