Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2010, 10:26 AM
kjm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasantlyfurious View Post
For those of us that are into being counted loud and proud you can check out Queer the Census:

http://www.queerthecensus.org/site/c...the_Census.htm

They'll send you a free sticker you can use to seal your census asking the government to count LGBT people.
ok question--if we are queering the census where is the "Queer" option???? I don't identify with any of those boxes either!!! We have to keep fighting for the Q y'all!!!

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 11:49 AM

no more stickers too bad.

Me, DW , and DS born 7/6/10
Old 03-22-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharinerose View Post
The issue of counting children is one I don't have, but can see to be a pain, even in non-queer household with more than one person's biological children.
That hadn't even occured to me but you're right... what would they do with a blended stepfamily of straight people? Man has 2 kids, gets remarried, has custody. Woman has 2 kids, gets remarried, has custody, neither adopts the other's kids. Isn't that really really common? Would one of the adults' kids end up as "unrelated to person 1" on the census? That's just weird.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 03-22-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
That hadn't even occured to me but you're right... what would they do with a blended stepfamily of straight people? Man has 2 kids, gets remarried, has custody. Woman has 2 kids, gets remarried, has custody, neither adopts the other's kids. Isn't that really really common? Would one of the adults' kids end up as "unrelated to person 1" on the census? That's just weird.
"Step son or daughter" is an option and totally covers this situation. The issue for queer families is that if you are, for example, a non-bio-mom in a two-mom family where the other mom gave birth, parenting a kid you've been with since birth, choosing "step child" really doesn't fit.

I'm Lyn (32) wife to Gail (38) Mama to Leigh (born 6/06 ,via Gail) and Ira (born 5/09, via me)

User Tag List