Biotranz - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-28-2010, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

Has anyone ever used Biotranz or similar to ship semen? I am seriously considering it but want to see what other people thought to begin with.

Any responses would be gladly welcomed

Thanks
#2 of 7 Old 03-28-2010, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i've heard of people using them. we considered them ourselves. they can get expensive, but still, cheaper than a bank.

i would recommend getting extra supplies like the medium and things like that. some people have tried shipping without it, but it's really not advised. you may see if biotranz will send you extra supplies that way you won't have to buy multiple kits. additionally, if you are doing more than one insemination per cycle, you will need more than one kit. for instance, if you are going to do inseminations on your pre peak day, peak day, and day after that, you would need three kits because sperm would need to be mailed to you 3 times.

you can't store the excess in the fridge and use it the next day - it will die. you need a new sample each time. this is how it can get very expensive very fast, because you need essentially overnight shipping three days in a row, not to mention the price of three kits, and the price of the refillable items (storage container, medium, syringe) for each month times how many times you are inseminating each month.

additionally, your KD must follow the directions to the T for the mailer. all the instructions are important regarding the rest time and what not.

HTH

giggle - mommy to GP born 3.16.09 and parter to liberty (GP's mama). hoping to have 2 under 2 in the very near future via DP's ute!
#3 of 7 Old 03-28-2010, 07:42 PM

We used it and got pregnant using it either 1 or 2 times. I forget which. We lost those babes, but it had nothing to do with BioTranz. I think it's a good option to use with a known donor who is at a distance. If possible, I'd still get the donor to freeze some sperm as a back up, as I think it's good to have that, in case he's unavailable for a while, if you need to do IVF in the future, etc.

I've actually heard from the person at overnight male that you can store the "goods" in the fridge for up to 96 hours. I'm going to bet it depends on the particular guy and how long-lived his sperm are. But, it's something to look into.

We actually were able to find someone to wash the sperm and do IUIs using it, which was great. The nurse looked at the sample and it was in GREAT shape, so that helped ease our mind as to the viability post travel.

Bottom line: I think it can be a great option -- not necessarily cheap at all, but rather easy.

Good luck!

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#4 of 7 Old 04-18-2010, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just a thought... what your paying for is a medical grade ice pack which will easily stay frozen for 48 hours or longer when insulated in a mini styrofoam ice chest. My dd's meds are shipped overnight with these ice packs and their still frozen solid and take 1-2 days to thaw at room temp. You can probably get these from most pharmacies regular shipments of meds that need to be kept cold.

Seriously?
#5 of 7 Old 04-20-2010, 12:21 AM

We used BioTranz. It's not just an icepack--it also contains a buffer that prolongs the sperm's life and allows it to be cooled safely. It was pricey, and it was definitely challenging when I ovulated on a Monday and we could only get an overnight shipment on Saturday. It didn't end up working out for us, but we know of people for whom it did.

If you're looking for a slightly cheaper option, I believe Northwest Cryobank sells a shipper that costs a little less, and also BioTranz has an "express" version with fewer accessories (which aren't so necessary anyway).

One bit of advice I will urge you to take is that if you use these, make sure your donor schedules a morning delivery. There was at least one time when our shipment rode around in the FedEx truck for the entire day--clearly not good.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

T (38) and wife J (41), moms to son C (9/2009 - 2/2013), whom we lost to leukemia.

Our next little one is due at the end of October.

#6 of 7 Old 04-20-2010, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmamas View Post
We used BioTranz. It's not just an icepack--it also contains a buffer that prolongs the sperm's life and allows it to be cooled safely. It was pricey, and it was definitely challenging when I ovulated on a Monday and we could only get an overnight shipment on Saturday. It didn't end up working out for us, but we know of people for whom it did.

If you're looking for a slightly cheaper option, I believe Northwest Cryobank sells a shipper that costs a little less, and also BioTranz has an "express" version with fewer accessories (which aren't so necessary anyway).

One bit of advice I will urge you to take is that if you use these, make sure your donor schedules a morning delivery. There was at least one time when our shipment rode around in the FedEx truck for the entire day--clearly not good.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

You can buy the buffer separately, which is a much cheaper option.

Seriously?
#7 of 7 Old 05-02-2010, 01:56 AM

We are planning to start receiving sperm from our KD, who lives half-way across the country, through the mail and have so far only found Biotranz as a viable shipping option. Right now we're trying to figure out what tests to have the KD do before we start inseminations. With prior donors, we planned to bank, so the bank ran all kinds of tests including semen analysis and a freeze and post-thaw viability test. We hope not to have to bank with this donor, so I don't really want to go back to the bank for those tests. But, it would be good to have some idea if our KD has good swimmers or not.

Did anyone do any testing before beginning biotranz shipments? If so, please share! Thanks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page