Queer Conceptions April 2010 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2010, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
giggleblue - i would keep testing because it could well be the trigger shot. if the lines get darker i'd say bfp. so a tentative congrats to y'all!

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 10:36 AM

Well, it looks like I have a definate positive OPK now. Sperm was originally supposed to be delivered today, which would have been perfect. I'll call them when I wake up (time zones suck). I keep wishing I had reliable temps this month, but swinging back and forth from days to nights has thrown that out the window. At least then I'd know when it was too late.

I feel fairly calm, actually. I got pregnant on the 3rd month of trying with each of the kids. Tho I'm not really expecting it to work this month, I"ll be pleasantly surprised if it does. In my mind it's just an expensive hoop I have to jump through. 3 months from now I'll be totally in sync with my cycle, even my flip-flopping cycle and all will be well. I'm just waiting to wait, I guess.

On the bright side, every cycle I tried and missed, I missed because I inseminated too early. Perhaps the tank is going to be late enough that I don't insem too early... Haha. I haven't the foggiest, perhaps I'm just not supposed to have a capricorn.

Seraf

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
Old 04-12-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escher12 View Post
Hi Everyone,

AmandaHope: I get a positive opk the afternoon BEFORE I get a peak reading on the clearblue monitor.
Thanks, Escher. This is really helpful. So...my "high" on the monitor the morning means that I should be able to get my freshies when the time is right this week! I am anxious for my KD's wife, though, who tests on Sunday. They tried for 6 mo and then found out that she has really serious fertility issues (history of severe endo and cervical cancer, and her mother took DES, contributing her to early reduced ovarian reserve). They were set to try IVF, but her lining was too thin, so they did an IUI and loaded her up on progesterone to try to thicken her lining. UGH. She is a close friend, and I SO hope that we'll both be pregnant soon. Her husband/my KD is such a generous, sweet guy--dealing with two women's cycles and ttc drama at the same time! Whew!

Seraf Love the calm attitude; I think that having kids already helps (with distraction and also with confidence). I keep trying to summon that, but since it has been 8 yrs since I had my DD, I think I'm out of practice; I often feel like I'm starting over with the baby thing and have to remind myself that I'm not! My DD is so excited (and also remarkably patient--love how kids live in the present moment); it is really sweet. So you have two children? Tell us about them, if you'd like. I love family stories.

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:51 PM

Yay GiggleBlue! Keep us posted~ I too am interested to know if it's the shot or the actual zygote. Let's hope it's the latter!!

As for a good/bad middle name for Zephyr, how about Aereopagitica? I told my sweetie if we have boy and girl twins we should name them Phil and Rhoda Dendron.

AmandaH~ best of luck to you and your KD's partner, but I think the most best of luck is going to go out to the KD, who'll need it, dealing with all these hormones!

Seraf, I like your attitude. I'm trying to be zen about it all, especially now when there is absolutely no way of knowing anything. Last night in bed, my sweetie said "So, we did the IUI Thursday, so..." and I just said "So there's no point in even THINKING about how long it's going to be until we test." I'm still grooving along with my progesterone~ it hasn't started to make me symptomatic yet, but it won't be much longer...

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

Old 04-12-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post

AmandaH~ best of luck to you and your KD's partner, but I think the most best of luck is going to go out to the KD, who'll need it, dealing with all these hormones!
Yeah--luckily (for sanity, that is, if not convenience), I'm 2000 miles away from them. But he is truly an incredible guy--I feel so blessed (and will feel even more blessed when I'm pregnant!).

Hang in there, LibraryLady/Amanda! Sending you implantation vibes...

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:46 PM

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome

I'm on CD16, still waiting for my +OPK. And for six of my last nine cycles, I've ovulated on CD15 with a +OPK on CD14 (although I have ovulated as late as day 19...). I went through a whole box of clearblue digital ovulation tests this weekend.

Seraf, you've been inseminating too early; I think I've been inseminating too late. I've never done an insem the day of the +OPK; I usually do 2 insems, the first 24 hours after a + (I usually get my first + in the evening) and the second the next morning, so about 36 hours after the +. Last month I tried an earlier insem 12 hours after the +. I'm thinking that I'm inseminating too late, because I usually ovulate the day after the +OPK (sometimes 2 days after). I'm thinking this month, I'll insem the night of the +. What do you all think? Is that way too early? Here's the link to my chart: My Ovulation Chart

How are there so many Amandas here? That is so funny!

Belated congrats to all of you with BFP's , and hugs to those with more disappointing news.

Lauren

Lauren and DP together since 1999; ttc #1 since 6/2009 with no luck yet.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren726 View Post
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome

What do you all think? Is that way too early?
Lauren
Lauren Can you give us a bit more info? How long have you been trying, and are you using frozen or fresh sperm? Vag insem or IUI?

I've seen convincing evidence that for women using fresh supply, conception rates are actually higher with an insem (or intercourse, since the study I saw was of married straight couples, of course) on the day before O than on the day of O. So...since I'm using fresh-through-the-mail, I'm going to TRY to hit the day of the OPK positive for insem #1 and the next night or even two mornings after the positive in order to spread out my coverage better. It is possible that shifting both insems up by 12 hours or so would increase your chances, but it does also depend on fresh vs. frozen, etc. Brill's book is useful on this question, if you haven't already consulted it.

Welcome and good luck!

Old 04-12-2010, 02:53 PM

seraf - Your positive attitude is contagious. I hope your timing is perfect this cycle. BTW, Aqaurius' rock so maybe you're holding out for one of those

lauren726 - Timing can be so unpredictable sometimes. Are you using frozen sperm? I've read that you should inseminate the day your OPK turns positive and then 18 hours after. Are you monitoring other signs as well (cervical fluid, cervix position)?

AFM - FF says I O'd on CD9 which I *know* didn't happen. I'm sure FF will correct itself after a couple of days. I have long cycles so I usually don't O until somewhere around CD24.

afro.jpg TTA #1 through the Foster Care system

10/12 - Orientation

10/12 - Accepted into Foster Family Agency

02/13 - Finished the paperchase
03/13 - Homestudy completed
03/13 - Matching phase

Old 04-12-2010, 03:16 PM

We had a bit of a tricky time getting our insems right~ we were WAY too early the first time, then SLIGHTLY too late the second time, then we decided with our doctor to do the insems the day the opk is positive, which has been perfect for us. Well, not perfect enough to actually WORK yet, but perfect enough to be as good as we can do, which is all that we can do.

Newbian, I love it when the ff chart tells you you've o'd impossibly early. I've had allergy troubles this month which has given me a bit of temp, and it had me o-ing on, like, day 2. Um, no. Aquarians do rock. I'm a Leo and if I am indeed successful this time the baby will be a Capricorn. Yikes! That will be a fun clash of the titans! Maybe if it grows up quick enough I can have it balance the houshold budget!

Thanks for the special hugs AmandaH~ Our tribe of Amandas have to stick together!

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

Old 04-12-2010, 03:24 PM

Newbian Mama: I hope FF corrects itself soon. FF can be so useful but also so silly sometimes.

Lauren726: Looking at your charts, I would agree with your sense that it might be worth trying to inseminate a little bit earlier, since FF seems to think that you usually ovulate the day after your opk+.

LibraryLady: Good luck with the wait!

AmandaHope: Good luck to you AND your KD's wife. It would be very exciting if you were both pregnant this cycle!

Seraf: Your calm is impressive! Hopefully fed ex is just helping you to perfect your timing.

AFM: I'm freaking out about the cost of all of this. Between the sperm ($560 x2 +$200 shipping), the IUI fees ($400 x2), and acupuncture ($85 x4), this is costing us more per month than my take home pay. We do have some savings that we can use, but it is just feeling ridiculous. Are we doing something wrong here? Any advice or sympathy? Thanks!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
Old 04-12-2010, 03:38 PM

AmandaHope- Brill's book says it is common for your LH to surge mid-day, however there is the possibility of surging at anytime like in the middle of the night. This is why I buy cheap LH surge strips and close to my expected ovulation I test several times throughout the day/night. Brill suggests if you getting up there in years (like me-38) then do an insem right away if all of your other signs line up. I have my DP check my cervix, if it is open, soft and clear fluid is coming out, and if my temps are starting to drop, then I know it's time. We do one vag insem and approx 12 hours later an IUI. Brill also says the fertile mucus is one of the most important signs indicating ovulation is about to happen.

Seraf- I hear you on the plan, it sounds like something I would do as well. When my cycle was way off I took a two month break. It was very difficult to wait but I felt it was worth it. I am also doing two insems per cycle, Good Luck with planning!

AFM- DPO 9 and the temps are still high. The other day I had the tiniest slight spotting. It does make me nervous to see that, but I am trying to imagine the little zygote making it's way to the uterine lining.

TTC#1 since Sept, 2009; in heartbeat.gif w DP, + two young dogs. Started adoption process May 2011. adoptionheart-1.gif  Baby boy born on June 18, 2013 and placed with us.babyboy.gif

Old 04-12-2010, 05:15 PM

LibraryLady - I love Leo's but they wear me out! Lol! My little Cap will be a fun challenge too but if I go late the baby would be an Aquarius. That makes me more scared to have a little me

escher12 - Yes, FF is both my nemesis and my BFF. I think I'm going to change my sig to that!

I have no advice just lots of sympathy and hugs. The whole cost of donor insemination is very expensive. I've thought about switching to a cheaper bank but I probably won't because I like my bank, the donors I've chosen, and I can't imagine paying add'l registration fees, profile fees, picture fees, etc.

maxK - That could have been implantation spotting. Go baby go

10/12 - Orientation

03/13 - Matching phase

Old 04-12-2010, 05:22 PM

AmandaHope: What an incredible situation to be in with your KD. He must be quite a guy. A fun thing if she gets pregnant around the same time as you is the facination of watching a biological half sibling develop with yours. Anyway, good luck to you both. It sounds like his partner is pretty amazing too, to be comfortable with "sharing" in such a difficult situation.

My kids are fantastic, brilliant and keep me on my toes. Just like everyone else's I'd imagine. DS is 7, in love with marine life and all things microscopic. He is passionate about learning and trying new things, just like me. I love it. We had that book, eating the alphabet, when he was a toddler. He would pick a food from it he'd never tried before and ask if we could get it at the grocery. As a result he'd tasted the entire comercially available contents of the book by the time his sister rolled around. Whenever offered food, he would ask, have I had it before? If the answer was no, he would always try it. He's typically game for any new experience and he is in love with numbers. He likes to work out math problems in his head and he can figure out simple multiplication, division and algebra in his head when motivated (If we're going 60 miles/hour and the sign said we're 4 miles away, how long til we get there? If there are 32 candies in the bag and 4 people in the car how many do we each get?) He does a little happy dance when he gets to work these things out. He is a perpetual motion machine, I was terrified before he was born because he never quit moving in utero. I didn't realize that they were supposed to sleep until someone pointed it out. Once he was born I realized that he moved non-stop even in his sleep. He still does, runs around in circles making explosion noises. People hint about autism from time to time, but he seems very neurotypical so I don't stress. They don't hint about ADHD, they are very blunt about it. I simiply remind them that one of the important qualifications is that the attention and hyperactivity negatively interfere with his life, and since he's homeschooled, he is not ADHD. If he was publically schooled I would be fighting off the drugging of my son on a regular basis. Haha, sorry. It's a very notable part of him. He is tiny, only in the 16th percentile. Kind of built like Shaggy, on scooby doo, I can wrap my fingers around his upper arm and they overlap. Straight light brown hair about 4 inches past his shoulders. Clearest blue eyes I've ever seen (well, same as mine, but mine are hidden behind glasses and I never gazed into my own for hours). He was conceived with frozen sperm from pacific, way back in the day. We watched Percy Jackson recently and it gave us some conversation about the whole being raised without a dad thing. He doesn't feel any of the anxiety Percy describes and he seriously doubts his donor is a deity.

I like talking about my kids, can you tell?

DD is 4 and a half, wants to know everything and is in love with babies. She wants to be in kindergarten like all the neighbor girls and started reading a bit on our trip back from florida. She is fairly laid back, with a streak for thinking everything should just go her way, like me. Her favorite food is sushi and she loves sewing baking. She used to be obsessed with pancakes and could make them, excluding the flipping, start to finish when she was 2. She has short, wavy light brown hair and cloudy blue eyes with a star of darker blue around the pupil and a dark blue ring around the iris. She is small and stocky, most people think she's 2 until she opens her mouth. She is in the 20th percentile. (I just looked them up last week). She was conceived with the help of a friend, who has since had a son and while he adores her, he isn't sure he could "keep it professional" for another go-round.

So we are trying with another popcicle. This guy looks more like DP than any of the other donors we could find. It is supposed to be here today by 4:30 so I have to go check my mucous, woo hoo!

Lauren726 - My temps rise the day after positive OPK, so I am inseminating the evening of the first positive and then 24 hours later. If my mucous lines up. I have read that the sperm can't swim up into the cervix if the mucous doesn't work right, so I keep that in mind always. Doesn't matter how fertile I am if the sperm can't get in there, right? Of course, I've not read anything about TTC since I got knocked up with DS, way back in the day, but it worked then, so I'll keep it.

Newbian Mama - Aquarius' do rock. I'm specifically skipping the cycle that would give me another pisces. Love DS to death, but I have a hard time with the sensitive nature. I'm a sag, and about as stereotypical as you can get. I don't really believe that we are a product of the stars, but it's fun to think about and I'll have to skip a month anyway.

escher12 - Holy mackrel, I feel your pain. I am using tax money this go-round and then saving between months to afford it (and then using tax money for maternity leave next year). I've been working on improving my cash flow for about a year to get to this point. I opted for a cheaper bank, my fingers are crossed, haha. I found the bank up in the resources (european sperm bank - go on, tell me everythign that's wrong with them now that it's too late). I am passionate about having an open donor, it's all kinds of cheaper if you don't care about that. I could have gone with a local bank for 250 a vial. So as it stands I'm paying 390 x 2 for ICI vials. 150 for shipping and then doing home insems because I know they work for me. Back in the day I did accupuncture, but my DP at the time was a massage therapist and she traded for my accupuncture. One thing about accupuncture, you can apply pressure to any of the points they stick. They showed me the one he was hitting to control nausea and mood so I could press it myself when I wanted it, which was often. Something to keep in mind perhaps. Best of luck and sympathy. And remember, the price you pay to conceive them is nothing next to the price you pay to raise them! Well, babies are free, but then they start to grow and you're screwed. I think I've spent more on kid socks than I spent to get knocked up with DS, my $1600 baby.

Typed a novel, jeeze.

Sera

Old 04-12-2010, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Newbian Mama: irk. FF can be a pain in the ass. i hope it fixes itself soon!

Lauren726: i think you have to play with the inseminations. so if you try and it doesn't work early, try again, and see if it works later.

LibraryLady and AmandaHope: fingers crossed!!!

Seraf: I've seen so many fedex mistakes turn into THE month! i hope the same rings true for you!!

escher12: ttc is expensive. the only thing we did to scale back cost was one insemination a month, but even then you have to pay for more monitoring and trigger and such, so it may just balance out. all i can say is that it's a breaker, but i guess it does help prepare you for the expense of babe.

maxK: you are one day behind us! i have my fingers crossed for you! i think you would have a EDD of christmas day!

afu: eeekkkk. still waiting for another test tonight. the HSG has to be gone right? even the digital test worked....

giggle - mommy to GP born 3.16.09 and parter to liberty (GP's mama). hoping to have 2 under 2 in the very near future via DP's ute!
Old 04-12-2010, 05:23 PM

Newbian: Yeah, we're a handful, but totally worth it

Escher, your expenses sound a lot like ours~ just curious, are you using Fairfax Cryobank? The $560 is just so specific an amount. We're using them but are lucky because our guy is currently on sale for only $300 a vial, though that's still not cheap. I don't have the acupuncture, but I do have the IUI expense, and the pre-insem ultrasound to make sure I don't have anything amiss before they give the femara, which is about $100. Some of my Scrabble friends said they'd hold us an insemenation bake sale if we need it, but we haven't yet. Hope we don't! I hope none of us does. The power of Amandas to bring more Capricorns and Aquarians into the world!

Old 04-12-2010, 06:17 PM

AmandaHope: I've been doing vag insems with frozen sperm. Not the best odds, I know. This will be our 9th try (3rd on clomid)...

I'm thinking that I should probably move on to IUI's or find a KD if it doesn't work out this month. My OB/GYN (who is great) doesn't do IUI's, so I'd need to go to someone else. I'd totally do at-home IUI's, but DP is too afraid to do it.

Escher12, I totally feel you about the costs. And mine have been significantly less than yours (about $1000 a month for 2 vials plus shipping). But this has been going on for NINE months! (OMG, we have spent around $9000 so far!) I know that some people say that the cost of sperm, insems, etc. will be close to what you'll end up spending on a baby, BUT, if there were no costs associated with TTC, that money could be saved (or put to a different use, like paying off credit cards or student loans). It makes me wish I had a KD. Sorry I don't have any advice; looks like I need some myself

LibraryLady: although I'm not a member of the Amanda club, maybe there should also be a Leo club. I could join that one

Lauren and DP together since 1999; ttc #1 since 6/2009 with no luck yet.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:37 PM

Hi there! I am so happy to have found this forum! My wife & I just started trying with a KD this weekend. All there is to do now is cross our fingers and wait!

Sending lots of luck to everyone, thank you for sharing your journeys!

J & A together for 6 years love.gif married since 11/09 & so in love with our DD, Reed Kylie born 2/5/11! stillheart.gif
Old 04-12-2010, 06:43 PM

seraf - Thank you so much for sharing! Your children sound awesome

LibraryLady - love the thought of an insemination bake sale! Why is your donor on sale, if you don't mind answering? I'm using Pacific Reproductive Services and I don't recall them *ever* having a sale!

10/12 - Orientation

03/13 - Matching phase

Old 04-12-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burg View Post
Hi there! I am so happy to have found this forum! My wife & I just started trying with a KD this weekend. All there is to do now is cross our fingers and wait!

Sending lots of luck to everyone, thank you for sharing your journeys!

Welcome to MDC and to the Queer Conceptions thread. I've only been here a short while but these ladies have made me feel so welcome. Good luck with your cycle. We need some more BFPs around here!

10/12 - Orientation

03/13 - Matching phase

Old 04-12-2010, 08:04 PM

Quick update, after jumping every time there was a sound by the front door, I got up to let the dogs out, and DP found a big ol canister of liquid nitrogen outside the back door. I walked right by it! Don't know how it got there, my fence has no gate, it's just for the dogs.

So I checked my mucus and it was fantastic, coupled with the positive OPK, we inseminated today and I think we're going to stay up late tomorrow night and repeat.

I'm feeling all full and attentive of my nether regions. Woo Hoo!

2 week wait here I come!

So question of the day, how do you do the insems? Do you orgasm? Do you have totally strange and awkward bedroom time? Details!

Seraf

Old 04-12-2010, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

QOTD: we have a kind of awkward moment and then i have had an orgasm but not everytime... one time i was trying to and i wasn't into it and i swear i just pushed all of the swimmers out! the last time i had an IUI at the doc's office and it was completely different (of course). i was relaxed and didn't really think a whole lot about any of it... and that was nice...

burg, WELCOME!! i hope you stay here is short and sweet! please post all updates in bold... if you want me to add a link to your chart, please post and consider it done! i have moved you to the catagory Waiting to Know, Braving the TWW. FX for you!!!

lauren, i just switched to IUI and it worked the first time (after 6 cycles of at-home ICI) i had really wanted DP to do the IUI at home, as our bank only sells washed and sends the vials will all the stuff you need for IUI, but alas, she was also afraid... good luck

giggle, eeekkk!! i hope this is it! i have no idea about when the HCG from the trigger left my system, i never actually POAS! can you beleive it?! i should, just for fun... as i have never seen a +hpt!

seraf, your kiddos sound fabulous! reading about them makes me so excited to meet our own little seedling...

max, sounds like possible implantation to me!!!

escher, i echo the whole TTC is so expensive, well for us anyway... we used midwest and they sell washed vials for $200, and only $75 for shipping (but that depends on location), no registration fees, no profile fees, and free picture matching (you send pic and they match). we loved them!!

newbian, FF is such a pain sometimes... it moved my O a day back during the end of my cycle because i reported watery CM toward the end... why would that change my O date in that way?! i have no clue!!! but good thing is, it usually corrects itself. i'm glad you are confident that you know your own body!!

afm, i had my 3rd and final beta this morning and won't get results until tomorrow... once i hear that number i will be joining the Q&P thread, but will also be staying here to support you all through the rest of this month!

if i have missed an update, please post in bold. thanks!

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
Old 04-12-2010, 09:59 PM

Newbian: We did ask about why our guy was on sale, and they said they have a program to encourage/enable more people to make use of their services and they just put a certain percentage of their donors on sale for a while and rotate through. We're just lucky that our guy's one of them. And since we're on the subject of donors and banks, what does everyone look for in their donors, aside from the obvious 'no history of mental illness' etc. (assuming you're using a bank and not a kd. Though I'd be interested in that too). I'm very short and from a short family, so I insisted on a donor over 6 ft tall, high IQ. My sweetie is half Portuguese and we were fortunate to find a guy who was half Portuguese, so that she could feel like she has more of a stake in the theoretical kiddo as well. If I were doing this solo, my first choice would've been one of the donors listed as blonde and 6'7". VIKING BABY!

Welcome to everyone!! Best of luck to us all! And you can FOR SURE be in the Leo club!

Old 04-12-2010, 11:06 PM

burg - Welcome!!! I felt the same way you do when I found this thread. You've come to the right place. This is a fantastic group of people!

Library - We were really trying to find a donor with red hair. DP desperately wants a ginger baby! I've got red hair, but it's so uncommon, we wanted to increase our chances. We also wanted a donor with a baby picture available. After looking at medical histories and personalities, we were unable to find a suitable redhead. DP was very choosy and really tried to get a feel for the guy. For example, we're vegetarians, so if his favorite foods were red meat, burgers, and ribs (one guy put exactly that), he was out. We plan to share all the information we have with our child when the time comes, and we put a lot of thought into what s/he might think when s/he saw the profile. The donor we're trying now looks nothing like either me or DP! He sounds like a really good person, though.

seraf - Your kids sound awesome!! What a wonderful family you have. for you!

escher - I can relate to those costs! Sounds exactly like our monthly bills... but we are trying with just one vial each cycle. Maybe if I'm not successful after 2 or 3 tries if I will move to 2 vials a month. I would honestly mortgage the house to have a baby, if that's what it takes!

max - It sounds very promising!!!

giggle - Waiting with bated breath!!!

AmandaHope - I know your timing will be perfect. You sound so much more relaxed now that you have your monitor. Good luck this cycle!

Newbian - Isn't it funny how much we depend on FF? Sometimes I will return to it later in the day, as if it will be different from when I saw it two hours ago... or two hours before that. LOL!

No news from me... I'm on CD3 and thinking I prefer the 2WW.

Amanda (32)ribbonrainbow.gif Sue (37)
*****In Love since 2006*****
TTC #1 since March 2010 
Old 04-12-2010, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the test got more faint... but it's still not over. i don't know. i forgot how much this sucked.

giggle - mommy to GP born 3.16.09 and parter to liberty (GP's mama). hoping to have 2 under 2 in the very near future via DP's ute!
Old 04-13-2010, 01:01 AM

escher12 - sounds about right for costs. We've budgeted $740 per month, enough for one IUI vial + priority shipping from California Cryo. On advice from a doctor we spoke with at a fertility clinic open house, we're doing one vial per month for six months before upping the ante. She basically said that if we were going to pay for a second vial, we might as well just pay to have her do it - same minor increase in chances, but emphasis on minor.

giggleblue - fingers crossed!

seraf - good luck with your timing and your serendipitous delivery!

Quote:
As for a good/bad middle name for Zephyr, how about Aereopagitica? I told my sweetie if we have boy and girl twins we should name them Phil and Rhoda Dendron.
How about Phil Aereopagitica Dendron? Phil A. Dendron. Has a nice ring to it

maxK - fingers crossed! Sounds promising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren726 View Post
although I'm not a member of the Amanda club, maybe there should also be a Leo club. I could join that one
I'm in favor of starting a "Team Amanda," and a "Team Amanda Fan Club"!

Welcome burg!

Quote:
And since we're on the subject of donors and banks, what does everyone look for in their donors, aside from the obvious 'no history of mental illness' etc. (assuming you're using a bank and not a kd. Though I'd be interested in that too).
We started with matching my DP's ethnicity - which narrowed us down to about 10 donors in the whole country. After that, it was easy - I insisted on someone fairly slender. I don't care much about their proportions once the baby's grown, but I'm thinking about nine months from now when I have to give birth to this baby! I think banks should add a data point about size of donor at birth. Really, though, final donor choice came down to a very cute baby picture - we ended up going with our close-2nd choice based on a very sweet baby smile.

AFM my monitor gave me a high reading yesterday and today. Last month I only had two highs before a peak. Just to be safe, DP ordered the swim team today. They'll be here on Wednesday, and we're planning to do an at-home IUI when all signs say go. I've given DP many pep talks, and I may have to talk her through step by step - but I'm feeling like it will go smoothly.

Could you add the link to my chart? It's in my profile dropdown menu. Thanks!

Mama to Alex, born 8/11. Just changed my username...
Old 04-13-2010, 10:46 AM

AmandaM~ You're a redhead too? I'm putting my fist up to the computer in the 'Wonder Twin Powers- Activate!' sign. We're going to do it! I thought about looking for a redheaded donor, and I would if I could know I was having a girl, but red hair doesn't look as good on boys (I think because their wearing mascara is frowned upon...) When we were deciding we didn't look at any pictures of the donors, mostly we read their self-descriptions and also the 'staff impressions' of the donors. The guy we picked was described by the bank staff as friendly and personable and with 'the most gorgeous head of hair we've ever seen'. It was kind of a weird sensation to be 'person shopping'. I like your steering away from avid carnivores~ that's an interesting trait to look for/avoid.

Amy~ your choosing someone slender is a neat trait to look for as well, and smart! Like I said, I wanted someone tall, but we ruled out a few guys who were tall and really really heavy. There's a difference between being a large person and being obese, and if I can avoid any disadvantages I will.

Giggle, that's got to be to tough. Let us know how it goes. Everything is crossed for you.

AFM~ nothing really. 5 dpo, ever so much enjoying my progesterone suppositories (NOT!)

Fingers crossed for everyone! It's a tough time, but we have each other.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:23 AM

LibraryLady - This time around, well, I was looking for tall, but this guy is only 5'9" But he looks like dp more than any of the others. It's weird, thinking about having a kid who could look so different than the kids I have now. They don't look alike to me, but she looks so different than us that I'm excited to see the mix.

Lauren - I agree about the cost of inseminating being crazy. I think kids cost as much as inseminating if you pay for childcare, I guess. My kids were practically free as babies, I swear it. They nursed, slept in my bed, wore hand me downs, even hand me down cloth diapers. Former DP and I each worked half the week or so, so they were never in childcare, but always with a mom (still are). I always ate a lot, so I don't think the food cost was noticable. Even now, I buy socks twice a year, all other clothes come from the thrift store, so 20 bucks 3 times a year. New shoes twice a year. Recently bought new boosters for DPs car. I think the food bill has doubled since DP moved in, but that is not the fault of the kids. I spend less on food than I did before kids because I'm more focused on healthy eating and whole foods to set a good example. Health insurance didn't go up that much. One extra doctor visit a year each and 2 extra dental visits each. I have a cheaper house now because I moved out of the city. I don't think it adds up to the monthly expense of TTC.

Seraf

Old 04-13-2010, 12:42 PM

Library - I felt the same way about redhead males! I expressed that to DP, and since then she has been pointing out cute redhead boys and handsome redhead men. She was the one who really wanted our child to have red hair at first, but I came around. I'm still hoping for a girl, though!

AFM, my last two temps have been slightly high. My temp usually drops on CD2, and it did, but then went back up for 3 and 4. They're not crazy high, just above my usual coverline. Hopefully things even out when it comes to O time.

Amanda (32)ribbonrainbow.gif Sue (37)
*****In Love since 2006*****
TTC #1 since March 2010 
Old 04-13-2010, 01:03 PM

when choosing a donor, we picked someone healthy who didn't have mental illness or alcoholism (dp's family has both) or arthtitis (both our families have this) in his family. everything else was secondary to that. we didn't dwell too much on looks since we knew we would both by carrying and dp is 1/2 filipino.

as it turns out, ds1 looks just like me but is tall like our donor. ds2 looks (so far, he's only 3 months old) just like dp!! he is also big for his age. just goes to show how genetics can be!! as far as i can tell, ds1 and ds2 don't appear to share any facial traits.

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
Old 04-13-2010, 01:28 PM

Hi, everyone! I love the action and energy on the board, right now!
Welcome, burg!
Lauren I guess I might consider moving to IUI next month, if I were you, but I understand the reticence. Trying to get the timing exact and the expense are downers...but look at Wehrli! Such an IUI success story! I hope this is your month, though, and there won't be any future cycles to worry about.

As for the donor conversation, I'd say that we were looking for two main qualities: excellent mental and physical health history and a good guy who would be a caring and responsive KD to the kid. With our KD, we have both *and* (coincidentally) he is of the exact same ethnicity as my DP (who doesn't care about that in the least). I think it is nice, though. I have to admit (rather sheepishly) that I'm also happy that he is crazy smart and also a talented and passionate musician. The recent high sperm counts are great, too. So I'm super happy about our KD, BUT...

URGENT! I need advice about whether to ask him to send swimmers today!
I'm on CD 15, but I Od on late 19 or 20 last month, and I tend to have fertile mucous and an open cervix for DAYS at a time (almost a week last month!) before O. OPKs usually work for me, but not always. I'm trying to do two fresh (through the mail) inseminations this month--ideally on the day of the OPK positive and the following night. (I think that I O about 36 hours after the positive, though I'm not sure).

So here is my situation this morning:
-OPK at 10am was clearly negative (very faint line)
-Today was my fourth "high" day on the monitor
-Cervix is open (though possibly not all the way) with clear stretchy mucous
-I have fertile mucous, though not as much as I typically do on the day before and the day of O

The question is...do I have him ship swimmers for an insemination tomorrow? Or do I wait one more day?

My current thinking is: ship today, insem tomorrow, and if I don't get an OPK positive tomorrow, skip one day and do the second insem the day after the OPK. BUT there is a good chance that tomorrow might end up being too early and that waiting one more day might make better use of the first insem. THOUGHTS?

Thanks so much for the help! I need to get back to KD asap and just don't know which way to go! The good thing is that I'm not freaking out; having two shots at this makes me less anxious; I'd just like to make the best decision possible, you know?
-

User Tag List