Queer Conceptions April 2010 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-15-2010, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I'm going to test next Friday, the 23rd. It's Earth Day at my school, maybe that'll help my fertile vibe!

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 11:45 AM

Yay AmandaH!!!!! I'll cross everything I've got! Then you can join us in the eternal limbo... That's hilarious about the KD's pride! I have to say, just among us Queer Girls, some time ago I was looking at a hetero message board and one woman was excited to get her bfp. She said she'd called her husband and told him and the first words out of his mouth were 'Yeah! My boys can swim!' and I just thought "Of course it's all about you and your manly prowess, jerkface!" Ugh. Being a lesbian has its drawbacks, but putting up with that kinda crap isn't one, fortunately. I'm sure the guy was totally disappointed if it was a girl baby, too, since it would reflect badly on him to produce such inferior spawn.

Whew! I really am cranky this morning! I pity the students!

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

Old 04-15-2010, 12:47 PM

I thought everyone might be interested in this CBS article, The Best Pregnancy Tests: Consumer Reports Looks at Tests and Ovulation Kits.

I realize the article is old and things may have changed, but it certainly hammers home the point on OPKs not being the most reliable. I've found this to be true for me. OPKs are helpful in conjunction with other signs, but if I relied solely on OKPs, I'd be screwed. So to speak.

T

stork-girl.gif She's here! She's here! She's here!
Baby Girl T - January 30, 2011
6lbs, 9oz   19inches
Old 04-15-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaMom View Post
AFM, just dwelling on the fact that AF showed up so early and my temps are kind of high... then I came across the post on the TTC board where someone thought she had her period, had a big temp drop, and believed she was on CD9... when she found out she was preggers. I thought stuff like that was just urban myth.
You know, I had a light period/heavy spotting every 28 days for the first 2 months with DS. If I hadn't been temping, I wouldn't have known my temp was high. With DD, my temps were wacky and meaningless.

AmandaHope - good luck with your insems.

Over here, last night I had a dream about a tiny dark haired baby girl. I felt buzzing in my pelvis all night, so I've probably got a UTI or something. LOL. I took my temp every time I woke up last night, cuz I never know if I'll be able to fall back asleep. It spiked (the 3rd wakeup). Yay.

I should be 14 DPO on the 28th, maybe? I could test then, but I'll probably wait til the 1st of May in absence of AF, as that would be day 33 of my cycle, which is uncommon but not unheard of. I don't like to test early because PMS for me is crying over everything. Sad country song=tears. Cute puppy=tears. Negative pregnancy test just would not fly.

Over at babycenter, I was looking up my due date and reading about conception. Out of 250 million only about 400 survive to the egg. So if I started with 10%, 40 make it to the egg? Or those 400 are among the strong ones who survive the freezing and 400 make it? Perhaps I'm just optimistic, but I'm going to go for 400 of the best make it and the very best gets in.

If I'm knocked up, my due date will be the January 4th based on LMP or the 5th based on conception. DP pointed out that 1-1-11 would be the rockingest birthday. So I'm aiming for that. Although 12-31-10 would be an extra kid to claim on taxes, and more money back.

Happy preheating and marinating everyone.

Seraf

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
Old 04-15-2010, 02:27 PM

1-1-11 would be the rockin'est birthdate ever, you're right! If I hit the jackpot this time, the kiddo would be due Dec. 30th, so I'll be happy for the tax break! Though now that I think about it, 1-1-11 would be worth shooting for. Like the kid in OKC last summer whose birth date and time lined up perfectly to be 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9.

Good luck with your 2ww, or your UTI, whichever comes first

Old 04-15-2010, 05:42 PM

I was worried this month because I started working nights again and didn't know what my temps would look like. But, they seem to line up so far with O yesterday. I did three insems, as planned, and felt
O pain only about 30 minutes after the last one, so here's to perfect timing!

AF is due the 27th, so I intend to try and hold out until at least the 28th-we'll see. This week has been intense-I wrote about my insem travel schedule earlier, and I had to go straight to work last night exhausted. Luckily, I had a slow night and snuck a catnap in the doctors' dictation room around 3:00. To top it off, I'm having trouble with allergies for the first time ever because the pollen count is so high this year, and ex-DW is sending me texts telling me she misses me and wants to go hiking next week, calling me to tell me little funny things that happen to her, asking me to bring her things between classes and hanging out when I get there. All of this would be great if she weren't still talking to her new GF constantly. I just don't get it. Sorry, I know that's OT. Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Hugs to everyone that needs them--painefaria, particularly.

Christie: taking a break until further notice on TTC #1
Mama to 1 rotten beagle and 3 kittehs
Old 04-15-2010, 06:07 PM

Hey Chiquitayy~ yay! for your insem, but I'm afraid I have to say a big fat boo! to exes who have new gals but are still stringing you along. It's their ego needing all kindsa stroking. I don't know the circumstances of your breakup, but I'd guess it was her and this new gal? Or her wanting to break up at least? And now she wants to reassure herself that she's not a bad person by getting to you to do stuff with and for her, so she'll feel better. That way she has the new girl AND knows she's still got a hold on the old one. It must hurt like heck and I'm so sorry, but IMHO, the only way to deal with ladies like that is to cut them off. If she's so antsy to be with you then she can break up with that other girl, spend at least six months single to 'get herself together' and then maybe you could talk about talking about it. Again, that's just my opinion, but I've seen and been through crap like this before and they'll jack with your emotions as much as they can, as much as we let them.

Okay, rant over. My progesterone is making me such a monster!

Old 04-15-2010, 06:37 PM

Hello, Everyone!

LibraryLady: I'm sorry that the progesterone is giving you a hard time. That's not nice of it! Earth day seems like a very lucky time to test. What age of students do you work with?

Chiquitayy: That sounds like impressive timing! I'm sorry your ex is being confusing. I think it takes a long time to get from being with someone to being just a friend, but maybe you're better at that than I am. Good luck with that challenge! And with the 2WW!

Seraf: Dreaming about babies and buzzing in your pelvis--those sound like exciting signs to me!

AmandaHope: I hope that the insemination went perfectly! That's a cute text from your KD.

Wehrli: I'm sorry that you weren't feeling good about the betas yesterday. I hope that today is feeling more hopeful. I'm feeling very hopeful for you!

Lauren726: Hooray for your inseminations! How is the 2WW feeling so far?

Korey: Welcome! Tingling sounds exciting!

Tigerlily1: It's hard to tell people about TTC, I think, so I'm impressed with your bravery. I'm glad that you got a good response!

MaxK and Giggle: How are you guys doing?

AFM: No excitement with my cycle yet. The sperm should have shipped from TSBC today, and it will arrive at my clinic on Monday. We'll be inseminating late next week. I did speak with a lawyer who specializes in glbt law about my insurance's refusal to cover infertility treatments because I don't have a male partner, and she suggested some language for me to use in an appeals letter and offered some more help if the letter doesn't work. So that's exciting!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
Old 04-15-2010, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
please move us to waiting to O.

giggle - mommy to GP born 3.16.09 and parter to liberty (GP's mama). hoping to have 2 under 2 in the very near future via DP's ute!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggleblue View Post
please move us to waiting to O.
Oh, I'm so sorry, Giggleblue. Was it really just the hcg, or do you think it was an early mc? Sigh. Here's hoping that you'll have an unambiguous, accurate, BFP in about a month. Hugs.

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:12 PM

Well, I tested again today and it was negative. I still don't have any signs of AF, so I'm waiting it out. Just less hopeful...

TTC#1 since Sept, 2009; in heartbeat.gif w DP, + two young dogs. Started adoption process May 2011. adoptionheart-1.gif  Baby boy born on June 18, 2013 and placed with us.babyboy.gif

Old 04-15-2010, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

giggle, i'm so sorry...

esher, good luck with that appeal! and thanks for taking something like that on!! i believe it's things like that that end up making change for all of us!!!

chiquitayy, sounds like your timing was perfect!!! and i have to agree with library on this ex-dp business, but maybe it's just the progesterone in me too!

seraf, i loved when i had dreams about my "baby" while in the TWW! i hope you get to meet that baby soon!!

AHope, i hope the insem went well!!! good luck!!!

afm, i did feel more hopeful today... i also received my first "maternity" purchase in the mail this afternoon, so that was cool. impatiently waiting for my u/s on monday evening...

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
Old 04-15-2010, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

oh, max, i just read your post and i'm sorry for the bfn... but i believe that it ain't over 'till it's over! i'll be keeping hopeful for you...

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
Old 04-16-2010, 12:08 AM

Giggle, Max~ biggest hugs! I agree with Wehrli, though, it ain't over til its over. We'll be here with you, no matter what!

Escher~ good luck on your insem! I'm an elementary school librarian and work with kids 3-12. I've been here five years, and this is my first elementary school and I like it a lot more than I thought I would. In my entire 18 year career I've worked with students ages 3-20, everything from the sweetest little angel-face pre-k kids to hardened criminals (who were also often sweet and angel faced, too). These kids are hilarious, though, and we have awesome storytimes. This week I've been reading 'Nasreen's Secret School' by Jeanette Winter, about a secret girl's school in Herat, and a story called 'Princess Hyacinth (The Surprising Tale of a Girl Who Floated)'. It's very fun, I recommend it!

Well, since we're on it, I'd love to hear from everyone, what were your favorite books when you were kids?

Thanks for the good wishes~ I just hope that soon I get to be morning sick for real

Old 04-16-2010, 12:50 AM

AmandaHope - I hope your insemination went well! I'm sending out some fertilization and cell division vibes to ya.

LibraryLady - Sorry the progesterone makes you feel like a monster. It'll be worth it. I promise! I read A LOT as a kid; I even started reading my mom's huge Stephen King books around 4th grade (not very appropriate material for a 10 year old, I must say!). My favorite book during library story time was Where the Sidewalk Ends. Good stuff!

wehrli - I'm sure everything will work out fine. Stick, little bean!

max - So sorry about your BFN. It's great you haven't seen signs of AF yet, though! I'm still crossing fingers for you.

Giggle - Extra hugs for you. It must have been so hard to see those false positives. I'm sure it was much worse than regular BFN's... Getting your hopes up like that. I'm so sorry.

chiquitayy - Isn't the pollen just awful in NC this year? I think I'm developing allergies because of it too. It sounds like your timing couldn't have been better! As far as your ex is concerned, I agree with LibraryLady. Ex DW just wants to have her cake and eat it too. It's not necessarily a bad thing, as long as she's not messing with your heart. I'm good friends with a few of my exes.

escher - Good luck with sticking it to your insurance company!

Sera - I'm with you on the best swimmers surviving the freezing. I read somewhere like 90% of men have sperm that doesn't survive the freeze/thaw process at all, so you've got some well-above-average swimmers to start with! Good luck in the 2WW and waiting to test. You're a stronger person than I!

No news to report here. Did you all hear about Obama extending hospital visitation to LGBT folks? It's great news. One step closer to equal rights!

Amanda (32)ribbonrainbow.gif Sue (37)
*****In Love since 2006*****
TTC #1 since March 2010 
Old 04-16-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
Well, since we're on it, I'd love to hear from everyone, what were your favorite books when you were kids?
Mine is an odd one - and one I just rediscovered recently. I could not, for the life of me, remember what it was called, though I would think of it often. I just knew it was a book of somewhat dark short stories, including one of a boy who was bullied to the point where the bullies shot a swan, tied it's wings to the boy, and forced him to jump out of a tree--but the wings enabled him to fly home. (Told you it was dark!) It was such an odd but fascinating book, and it bugged me for years that I couldn't remember what it was called. I finally found it again - and was surprised to discover that Roald Dahl wrote it. "The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar" is the title.

Good luck to all you TWWers! Everyone hang in there.

AFM, I hope to join you shortly. Our swim team arrived yesterday, and they're hanging out in the living room - while today is my fifth high day on the CBEFM! Last month I only had two highs before a peak. I hope I'll O this weekend.

Otherwise, we'll look into local storage for these guys.

Mama to Alex, born 8/11. Just changed my username...
Old 04-16-2010, 08:28 AM

i read a TON of books as a kid - thanks to my mum and the library van that came around and a really wonderful librarian at high school!!

my favourites -
books by enid blyton - the famous five, the secret seven, adventure series books, etc..etc... she was an amazing writer! i even think that george (georgina) from the famous five was a lesbian - she was a complete tomboy and had short curly hair!! these books are probably really dated by now. i read them in the 70s but she wrote them in the 40s-60s.

alfred hitchcock's three investigators books (i had to look this up because i couldn't remember if it REALLY was alfred hitchcock, lol!)

the phantom tollbooth

the narnia books

books by roald dahl

watership down (love, love, love this book!!)

when i got older (high school), i also read stephen king, the illiad and the odyessy, 87th precinct books by ed mcbain and agatha christie. i read several "grades" older than i actually was!

i'm happy to say that ds1 already loves books at 2.5yo and has memorized some even though he can't read yet.

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
Old 04-16-2010, 10:22 AM

Hey everyone !

Sorry of I sort of dropped out for a bit lol. I've been readuing but work was astronomically hectic and... well I think part of me was also in avoidance mode so as not to feel the time too much.

Well, the rollercoaster is back on track for a new cycle. We are at CD4 now and started clomid last night (100 mg for days 3-7) We hope that that will fix the little issue we seemed to have last month with the dissapearing follicle (probably a follicle that Oed before itw as ready).

QUESTION : Our clinic hasnt scheduled any ultrasounds... but I know that you really should have them when you are on clomid... and with what happened last month, I think that we will go in....... (I hate being left to decide all this ! Shouldn't it be the RE's job to worry about this ??? grrrrr). How do your RE's manage your care when you are on clomid ?? What day do you go in for an ultrasound, in relation to your usual O day ?

Thanks everyone !

Coco
xxx

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

Old 04-16-2010, 10:29 AM

Wherli : I am sending you lots and lots of positivity for a sticky baby ! And... so, you didnt say WHAT that purchase was that you got ??? Clothes ? Baby items ??

Amy : Hope you have an uneventful and on schedule Insem this weekend !

Max : Sorry for the BFn....... it aint over until its over....... but yeah, I know the feeling.....

GiggleBlue : Sorry you are back to waiting to O... grrrr...... Hopefully your next cycle will be the winner !

Good luck to everyone else waiting..... and much hope to all !

Oh and about books..... I am absolutely partial to Harry Potter.... I figure if it had been around when I was a kid, that would have been my favourite books !

Coco

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

Old 04-16-2010, 10:36 AM

Wow! What wonderful readers! I love all the books you've mentioned~ Roald Dahl's a favorite, 'Henry Sugar' is an amazing book~ I loved the story about the guy who finds the viking treasure hoarde, and the swan boy story you mentioned. Plus all the 'usual' Roald Dahl books, my absolute favorite being "Danny, Champion of the World." "Watership Down" is another complete favorite, I love the movie too and both the book and the movie make me sob! Actually, speaking of WD, Hazel is one of the names we like, but for a girl not a boy (nor a rabbit). "Phantom Tollbooth" is genius too. I even like Stephen King! I read 'The Shining' way too early and freaked myself out, but it was totally worth it. Indigo, I've not read as much Enid Blyton as I should, I've only read The Secret Seven, but next time we're back in London my sweetie said she'll dig all her old ones out and I can really get to know them. I also loved "The Wolves of Willoughby Chase" by Joan Aiken (I had a total crush on Bonnie!) and Zilpha Keatly Snyder's "The Changeling". I liked a lot of her books, but that one was my favorite. I had a total crush on Ivy (which was one of the reasons I loved that name so much~ thanks again for stealing it, cousin!) In a way, I already pity my child, because its reading list is already so long!

I could talk about books all day (and do, actually) so I hope some more people will share their favorites.

I'm still sick with the fake morning sickness today. My temp's down slightly (though still well above the cover line) mostly I think because I get hot in the night and kick off all the covers. It's still forever until I test, but I might hopefully possibly be implanting soon, so I'll just look forward to that...

Old 04-16-2010, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

coco, i've been wondering how youse were... glad to hear from you! as for the RE and monitoring, we had u/s on day 2 or 3 to make sure my ute looked good after the last cycle and then again on about CD12 (i think) and i wasn't near ready so we had another u/s on CD15 (and were told to triggered that night). i was on clomid for 6 months prior (prescribed by my OB/GYN) no monitoring what-so-ever. seems like you'd want an u/s after last cycle though...
as for the item i received in the mail... i got an organic bellaband. my pants are already getting snug, so i figured i'd get it now so i could unbutton my pants and use the bellaband to hold them up. i love it! way more comfortable than a belt!

library, i will have to compile a list of books i read as a child, i loved to read... but it's time to go to work now...

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:01 AM

Max : Sorry about your BFN, crossing my fingers that you will get your BFP

GiggleBlue : Very sorry, sending you fertile thoughts for your next cycle.

Wherli- Thinking of you. STICK STICK STICK

Everyone else good luck with TWWs and Insems!

AFM- I am still waiting waiting waiting. I did not realize that the waiting would be all consuming. My biological clock has been ticking out of control for a long long time so I just did not think that more waiting would be that hard. This board has been a lifesaver in that regard!

I love children's books- Anything Shel Silverstein, Make Way For Ducklings, Click Clack Moo, Sandra Boynton, Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume, Olivia, and on and on and on. Great question!

J & A together for 6 years love.gif married since 11/09 & so in love with our DD, Reed Kylie born 2/5/11! stillheart.gif
Old 04-16-2010, 11:34 AM

Wow--what a flurry of interesting (and pleasantly procrastination-inducing) posts last night and this morning!

Ironically, given that I'm now an academic, I didn't do a lot of reading as a young kid outside of school...except for my mom's romance crap that was lying around the house. My parents just weren't focused on it, I guess--never very literary readers, themselves. So when I read my mom's entire collection of Danielle Steel novels by the time I was 11, my dad finally saw the light, took me to the bookstore, and bought me Catcher in the Rye and The Good Earth. They changed everything for me, and I became a voracious reader after that. I'm jealous of my DP and others who read such wonderful children's lit, though, and am now compensating with my daughter who, THANK GOD, is an incredible reader. My DP read her every one of the Harry Potter books (bedtime and car rides for about 2 years) when she was 5-7. Now, she is reading the Percy Jackson series (Lightning Thief, etc.) on her own, hiding under the covers with a flashlight at night, pretending to be asleep when we walk by her door. Love it! (except that she could really use more sleep). She also loves Roald Dahl and the Geronimo Stilton series. She could use more adventure-driven books with female protagonists, though.

Congrats on five weeks, Wehrli, and enjoy that bella band! That is the first thing I plan to buy, too.

Max--thinking of you--hoping for a late BFP.

Chiquittay--holy timing! I'm so impressed. Good luck!

Coco--sorry, no experience with Clomid, but I'd certainly understand why you'd want the ultrasound monitoring!

Library--you seem to be handling the "fake" symptoms well. What a mind-f*#k, though!

Amy--I had four days of high before peak this cycle; 5 is usually the max, though, right? Here's hoping for a nice "peak" tomorrow am.

AFM, my temp dropped way down this morning, which is perfect, since it 1) confirms that I really do ovulate around 48 hours after the LH surge, which will be helpful for future cycles, if necessary and 2) means that I probably did manage to inseminate the day before O (which should almost certainly be today), which is what I had hoped to do (since I'm using fresh swimmers). I've been watching the Great Sperm Race on YouTube, which is rather intimidating! But now I have a great visual for my meditation/self-talk about how the swimmers are now in the fallopian tubes, waiting for that perfect egg to drop any minute now...
Thanks for the fertile thoughts, y'all!

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:45 AM

PS. I have no idea why my entire post is underlined. Must be the drugs.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:53 AM

AmandaH~ I love your reading-under-the-covers kiddo! For adventure driven strong girls, might I suggest Suzanne Collins 'The Hunger Games' or James Patterson's 'Maximum Ride' series. The latter is also available in graphic novel form (or at least the first two are) which I really like. Both have a fantasy twist, Maximum Ride being about a group of kids with bird wings who have to do all the rescuing and escaping and exciting stuff that usually goes on in those sorts of books. I'm glad you've been enjoying the Sperm Race, too. It really has helped with my thoughts too. My sweetie was being silly at one point and shouting at my belly 'Get in the boat, sperms! Just get in the boat!'

Coco~ no Clomid experience either, so sorry.

Wehrli~ I'm looking forward to my bellaband as well. And I can't wait to start looking at cloth diapers!

Old 04-16-2010, 12:05 PM

Books as a kid, shucks, I don't remember reading anything before the 4th grade. It seems to me the only book I owned was a book of bible stories. (we moved a lot, I'm going to throw that out there for why I didn't have books) And then by 4th grade I got into my mom's stash of books she found someplace. So I read lots of Stephen King, V.C. Andrews. I read anything if I liked the movie. I remember checking The Color Purple out of the library and the librarian wouldn't let me have it without parental consent (she did come in and consent, said, give her whatever she wants). I understand why now.... I did a book report on lord of the flies that year, because my babysitter was reading it for class. I read whatever I could get my hands on, but I couldn't get my hands on much. I had an origami book that didn't leave my hands for several years.

DD likes Dr Seuss, DS likes Percy Jackson, Harry Potter (not allowed to move on to book 4 until he can read it himself), Time Warp Trio, Magic Treehouse and non-fiction books about sharks, sea creatures and snakes mostly. Past favorites were Verdi and A Job For Witilda. I don't remember. We get a lot of books from the library and burn through them.

The kids were excited and knew we were getting sperm because they were after the liquid nitrogen tank it would come in. We had fun freezing flowers and shattering them. Marshmallows were a hit, too. Then DS was examining the tank and asked, "How did you get sperm in this? Was it just full of sperm?" So I showed him the tiny vials and how they were frozen. He said, "So then what? You just drink it?" We had a nice talk after that. Later I read DD her birth story from the book it's in. Now DD keeps asking about her reproductive parts and they're amazed that you can fit a whole baby out of a 10 cm hole in the cervix.

Good luck to all. No news here.
Seraf

Old 04-16-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
AmandaH~ I love your reading-under-the-covers kiddo! For adventure driven strong girls, might I suggest Suzanne Collins 'The Hunger Games' or James Patterson's 'Maximum Ride' series. The latter is also available in graphic novel form (or at least the first two are) which I really like. Both have a fantasy twist, Maximum Ride being about a group of kids with bird wings who have to do all the rescuing and escaping and exciting stuff that usually goes on in those sorts of books.
Thank you so much! Amazon, here I come!

Old 04-16-2010, 12:34 PM

Seraf~ What a great story! "Do you drink it?" Lordy! I'll bet that was a 'teachable moment'. And I totally hear you about sharks and snakes~ that's the most popular part of the library for the under-2nd-grade set. Also, dinosaurs. I just bought a new set of books, 40+ titles, called Scary Creatures! Sample titles: Killer Pinnipeds! Killer Jellyfish! Killer Swarms! I put them out and they were all checked out by the next morning. Hilarious! The Percy Jackson books are good, and of course I love Harry Potter. And at the risk of stepping on some toes, I have to say that I absolutely detest the Twilight books. The bad writing, plotlessness and zero character development are minor quibbles, but I really really hate and think dangerous the incredibly passive nature of Bella and the abusive relationship that's presented as the romantic ideal. I think the books are bad for girls and am so glad they're 'too old' for my library so that I don't have to give them to kids.

Okay, rant over! Let me know what your kiddo thinks of the books!

Old 04-16-2010, 01:05 PM

New question of the day, for tomorrow perhaps! How old are we? Hearing about kid books made me wonder.

I'm 29 and DP is 22.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:15 PM

I'm going to be 41 this year, and my DP will be 30. Hence my anxiety about getting this baby show on the road asap. I was just never in a place in my life, emotionally or otherwise, to have a baby before, and don't have the 'accidentally knocked up' option that the straight girls get to spur them along, so it's come to this. I'm young in many ways, though, so am looking forward to it all. I hope it works this time, for real!

User Tag List