Transfering Sperm from Bank to Bank - Paperwork? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-24-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
when you transfer sperm from one REs office to another, does it need to travel with paper work or is the bank just looking for the vial itself?

what if the sperm comes from another state? does the storage facility keep the paperwork that comes with each vial of sperm in case a transfer needs to occur??

i'm not really familiar with the process and looking for some insight.

giggle - mommy to GP born 3.16.09 and parter to liberty (GP's mama). hoping to have 2 under 2 in the very near future via DP's ute!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-24-2010, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It probably depends on the new bank's policies. We just went through something similar - we've had vials shipped from CCB to our house, but my cycle was all wacky this month. Instead of shipping it back, we wanted to store it locally. It took a bit of new paperwork - including another doctor signature on a form that was virtually identical to the one CCB had us original fill out (and get a Dr. sig on). Basically, local bank needed to cover itself for liability, regardless of the signed forms from the original bank already in my file.

Mama to Alex, born 8/11. Just changed my username...
#3 of 4 Old 04-30-2010, 10:44 PM

It totally depends on the bank/RE's office, as these things are completely unregulated (cue the wild west music.) One bit of advice- make sure that you talk about transferring the sperm before it gets to it's final destination. Our friends have had to go through many hoops to access their sperm that they've been storing at their RE's office(they're giving it to friends), whereas we had a fairly easy time selling our extra sperm to an out of state couple. It all depends on the office.

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

#4 of 4 Old 05-06-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggleblue View Post
when you transfer sperm from one REs office to another, does it need to travel with paper work or is the bank just looking for the vial itself?
Yes, it needs paperwork. The new facility needs to know where it originated and that it has been properly collected, tested and stored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggleblue
what if the sperm comes from another state? does the storage facility keep the paperwork that comes with each vial of sperm in case a transfer needs to occur??
Yes, the storage facility should have on hand all of the necessary paperwork. If you are transferring ownership along with location, it can be a little confusing (i.e. more paperwork), but as long as you get someone on the phone who knows what he/she is doing, it's a relatively easy and smooth process. For us, it probably took 10 phone calls and four exchanges of paperwork (and about 3 weeks) to make it happen.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page