question about procedures prior to insemination - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I totally know nothing about this, so thought I could post here for a starting place.....

A very close friend of mine and her partner are planning on trying to conceive a child using donor sperm donation. They live in Northern Ireland (not the most "tolerant" society) and they have found a clinic that agreed to do this (the sperm is sent to the clinic), but the clinic wants to do some procedures first. They want my friend to either do:

Hysterosolipingogram
hycosy
laparoscipy with dye

They have said she needs to choose one of these, but she's a bit confused on why she even really needs these (she has never tried to conceive so doesn't know if she will have difficulty). The clinic has never done insemination for a lesbian couple, mostly they treat people with infertility issues I think.

Does anyone know anything about these procedures or have any advice I can pass along? Does it sound strange that they are requiring these - this whole process is really expensive there, too - they just want them to inseminate the sperm (but the place they are ordering it from in the UK demands it go to a reputable medical clinic).

Thanks!
#2 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 06:29 PM

Hey there !

Those tests are meant to verify if the fallopian tubes are open. I know it probably sounds very intrusive to them to do those tests at the beginning of the process... but considering the $$$ involved, I strongly suggest doing the tests... I didnt and spent 2 months doing IUI's at the DR's office that were 100% bound to failiure because when we did do the test, my tubes were blocked... losing two months trying "naturally" when there is no $$ involved is no biggie... but losing 2500$ in the process really sucked.

Just my 2 cents !

Coco

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

#3 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 07:01 PM

Like Coco, the HSG/SHG test was standard at the clinic I started at in Canada.

It's also just a good idea to get it done, it gives the fallopian tubes a little flush out; statistically, conception is more likely in the three months following the test.

It's not overly invasive - it's similar to an IUI in that a simple catheter is inserted through the cervix into the uterus, which is then filled with contrast and an Xray is taken. That's the HSG - it outlines the uterus and the tubes. The SHG is similar, except saline or water is used and the observation is done by ultrasound to determine whether any of the fluid passed through the fallopian tubes.

The procedure is uncomfortable, but generally not painful. HTH.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#4 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 07:52 PM

I found the HSG excruciating.
#5 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom View Post
I found the HSG excruciating.
Me too !
But maybe its because my tubes were blocked... the water had nowhere to go !

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

#6 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco99 View Post
Me too !
But maybe its because my tubes were blocked... the water had nowhere to go !
I have heard that if your tubes are blocked it is much more painful. I edited my post - it's generally not a painful procedure, but yeah, it's uncomfortable and somewhat invasive, but nowhere near what any of the surgical options are.

I.e. my egg retrieval was a hundred times worse than my HSG/SHG. I'd say the embryo transfer was comparable to the HSG/SHG...worse than a typical IUI but not by much.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#7 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 11:03 PM

Mine were not blocked, but I had to practically be peeled off the ceiling after the procedure.
#8 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom View Post
Mine were not blocked, but I had to practically be peeled off the ceiling after the procedure.
So sorry that was your experience, it's really not typical.

#9 of 12 Old 04-27-2010, 09:15 AM

my HSG was painless... i really can't say i felt any discomfort or anything.

that's just my

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#10 of 12 Old 04-27-2010, 07:32 PM

I about flew off the table during my HSG due to pain, even though they said my tubes were open (I still don't believe that they were!)

Mommy to girls twins.gif 9/2005, our angel babies stillheart.gif 2004 and stillheart.gif 2005, and our intact, ebf superhero.gif4/29/2010.

#11 of 12 Old 04-27-2010, 08:39 PM

If I compare my egg retrival and the HSG, I have to say that the HSG was worse for me. But come to think of it, I was wayyyyy more drugged for the retreival so maybe thats why !

Coco

#12 of 12 Old 04-30-2010, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the posts - I appreciate the responses and will pass on the info to my friend.
:-)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page