glbt adoption financial assistance? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-09-2010, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone out there know of organizations that provide financial assistance to GLBT families looking to adopt? I have been searching, and have found many resources for families in general, but not sure if they would consider our family. DP and I are starting to explore adoption as a possibility. I'd really appreciate any wisdom out there!
#2 of 5 Old 05-13-2010, 04:23 PM

You should read "The Kid" by Dan Savage... it's the story of he and his partner adopting.

I have heard that the government will give you a tax credit or something for a lot of the adoption fees. I'm not sure if that's just here in CA or nation-wide. It's not so much assistance, because you still have to pay everything up front, but it will help you out come tax time.

Good luck!

Partner (35) and I (32) have been together since 2004, TTC #1 since 9/09 - 7 failed IUIs with KD

12/17/10: First round IVF w/ WTBK donor results in pos.gif ; 2/13/11 M/C after emergency surgery angel.gif  

Try #9 FET 4/11 - Negative.  Try #10: IVF 6/11 - Negative.  Next up: Try #11 FET 8/11

#3 of 5 Old 05-13-2010, 08:11 PM

If you foster to adopt there are typically no fees. That of course has it's own unique set of issues.

J & A together for 6 years love.gif married since 11/09 & so in love with our DD, Reed Kylie born 2/5/11! stillheart.gif
#4 of 5 Old 05-14-2010, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, y'all. Yeah, we have checked out the tax credit a bit, and also thought about fostering to adopt. We are still in a place of considering TTC more, but after 3+ years of that, are starting to think adoption, too, and are definitely leaning towards domestic infant adoption, and not fostering to adopt for various reasons. This is very early in the process, so right now we are just trying to gather info to see if adoption is even an option for us.
Man, the money part of this whole journey really sucks. Wish it didn't have to be part of it at all.
#5 of 5 Old 05-17-2010, 10:02 AM

I feel bad you didn't get more responses, so I'll post something. Yes, most adoptions cost money. So do most births, but if your birthing costs are covered by health insurance, they're largely invisible. There are really not adoption grants out there for non-special needs, private adoption.

The tax credit helps, but it's refundable, which means that 1. you don't get it until after you've spent it, and 2. you have to owe enough taxes to get that amount back. After five years, we didn't use all of ours up because we didn't make enough money.

The above paragraph should give you hope that people of modest means can afford adoption, though! How did we do it? Savings. A home equity loan. Gifts from family members. It can seem like a big amount of money, but people regularly drop $25-30,000 on a car, for goodness sakes. (not us, but still...) Helps put it in perspective. Also, if you look at it as a percentage of the total amount you will end up spending over your kids' childhood, it's not so much either! Having a child is not a smart financial decision. That's not why we do it, right??

A high-quality agency should give you a list of all of the expenses, what they are for, and when they are due in the process. This will make it seem more manageable and give you a starting place for budgeting and planning.

Best wishes -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page