Inseminating....can I ask a question here? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-08-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What process are you using for insemination? I've been doing the AI type, donor guy does his thing in the bedroom, into a small container...which I then suck up into a needle-less syringe and inject into myself down there.

However I'm concerned the sperm could be dying in that whole process....does anyone know anything about that?

Im considering trying natural insemination because AI isn't working so far (just finished cycle 4) I wonder if the chance of conception is much higher with intercourse compared to AI ?

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#2 of 7 Old 06-08-2010, 02:33 PM

Samy - sorry to hear you're still at it s.

From what I have read and learned about it, the process you're using (and that I and many others here have used successfully) has about the same success rate as intercourse. You're especially at an advantage since it sounds like you're inseminating right away.

I had the same process as you, but after a few tries started to wait about 15-20 minutes after he "did the deed" keeping the semen warm by holding the container in my hands or close to my body. That allowed it to liquefy, which allowed me to suck everything up into the syringe and not have it be so "gloppy" for lack of a better work. I then laid down with my butt up on a pillow and inserted, squirted, and stayed there for awhile. After about 10-15 minutes, I inserted an Instead Cup and was on my way.

We were successful on lucky try number 7, which is well in the realm of "average" for conceiving without fertility problems. We also made sure to do at least 3 days of inseminations per cycle, and based timing on my cycle charting and observed patterns (EWCM, OPKs, etc). We'd typically try to time it so that we were doing them on O-3, O-1, and O, but sometimes we'd be off calculating O by a day or two. The cycle we got pregnant, I ovulated a couple days later than usual, and we were able to get one more insem in on the day before my temp rise happened. Based on my pregnant chart, I believe insems on our successful cycle were O-5, O-4, O-3, and O. We though we had horrible timing and insemed too soon, and then we got that last one in as a "just in case." I'm pregnant with a girl, so maybe it was actually one of the earlier insems that did the trick! Lol

Hope this helps, and don't lose hope! There's lots of good info from experienced ladies here, so definitely ask away!

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#3 of 7 Old 06-09-2010, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Lyndzies! Congrats Im so happy for you! I must have just gone on a ttc break when you got pregnant. You must be so excited

I've only been able to inseminate once a cycle due to my donor, so I don't have as good a chance as I would if we were able to do it a couple more times like you did. That's good to know the sperm don't die in this process then, guess Im just feeling disheartened about it.

I haven't tried using an instead cup yet. I looked them up online and they look bigger than I imagined...is it painful? I think I have a tilted cervix so would it still be okay? Can it get stuck?

My donor just quit on me after last cycle, so im not sure what to do now. I've been looking for donors on a website where they advertise, because I don't know anyone irl who is willing.

How have you ladies here found your donors? Anyone doing natural insemination? I feel quite uneasy about that idea, so I might try AI for a bit longer.

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#4 of 7 Old 06-09-2010, 01:45 PM

we used a sperm bank for our purposes but can tell you that a friend found her donor by posting an ad on craig's list.

Me, DW , and DS born 7/6/10
#5 of 7 Old 06-10-2010, 01:41 PM

The Instead Cup won't get stuck, but if you don't have a "dip" all around your cervix (like me), the Instead won't insert properly, and everything will just spill out. It can be annoying.

placenta.gifeat.gif I'm a queer / trans-activist / poly / pagan / (dis)abled  / crazy / crunchy partner to fsonj; we're mamas to our unschooled/freeskooled 10yo, and co-breastfeed our sprightly toddler love.gif born Nov '10! (Ask me about how to supplement at the breast!)

#6 of 7 Old 06-10-2010, 01:49 PM

the only reason to use the instead cup is to prevent spillage if you don't want to lie there for 1/2 hour or so. if you do lie there for awhile with your hips up, there is no need to use it.

Me, DW , and DS born 7/6/10
#7 of 7 Old 06-14-2010, 09:47 PM

I conceived with the same process you were using. Amazingly it only took 3 months! But we did visit our donor everyday while I was ovulating. I'm sorry your donor backed out. That is disappointing. DP's cousin donated to us. Have you asked close friends? It may seem awkward to ask but if you don't, you'll never know if they might be willing Best wishes to you!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page