Queer Parents in Washington, DC? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-17-2010, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey folks,

After years and years of life as New Englanders, we are moving to Washington DC so that I can take a job with the federal government.

I'd love to hear about queer parenting resources, cool things for kids in general, where to find other like-minded families. If you live there now and would like to make some new friends, all the better!

My partner has a fantasy of finding enough other stay-at-home trans dads to start a playgroup. This seems optimistic to me, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

We'll be living in Takoma Park, but I'll be commuting into the district every day.

All thoughts welcome...

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#2 of 10 Old 06-17-2010, 07:27 PM

Congratulations on your upcoming move! One good place to start would be Rainbow Families DC: http://www.rainbowfamiliesdc.org/

Good luck!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#3 of 10 Old 06-17-2010, 10:02 PM

NO leads, but Ooooooh! to Takoma Park. I know tons of cool folks there....you're sure to find many great people!

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#4 of 10 Old 06-17-2010, 11:40 PM

Good luck with the move, Angela! Figures now that I'm pregnant, you're moving away. Congrats again on the job

~Jamie

J & A together for 6 years love.gif married since 11/09 & so in love with our DD, Reed Kylie born 2/5/11! stillheart.gif
#5 of 10 Old 06-17-2010, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by burg View Post
Good luck with the move, Angela! Figures now that I'm pregnant, you're moving away. Congrats again on the job

~Jamie
Jamie, congrats! I've been out of touch with things, apparently! Yes, I'm sad that we'll miss your bean, but there are other great gaybies around here, as I'm sure you know.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts! I'll definitely check out the Rainbow Families website.

#6 of 10 Old 06-18-2010, 12:27 PM

Oh, congrats! DC is great! We lived there for about five years, but that was before Leo, so we don't know much about the parenting resources. Good luck on the play group - I think it's not too pie-in-the-sky!!

Still madly in stillheart.gif with jb after 10 years and chasing after my precocious toddler jog.gif    

***joy.gif***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40    computergeek2.gif westphillymama.com

#7 of 10 Old 06-18-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
Jamie, congrats! I've been out of touch with things, apparently! Yes, I'm sad that we'll miss your bean, but there are other great gaybies around here, as I'm sure you know.
Thanks, Angela! You're not out of touch, I am only 7 weeks along and have been keeping it somewhat quiet. I really wanted to share my news with you though because when we first met you were TTCing and I thought about you during the crazy TTC process. So happy for you and your family

J & A together for 6 years love.gif married since 11/09 & so in love with our DD, Reed Kylie born 2/5/11! stillheart.gif
#8 of 10 Old 06-19-2010, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by burg View Post
Thanks, Angela! You're not out of touch, I am only 7 weeks along and have been keeping it somewhat quiet. I really wanted to share my news with you though because when we first met you were TTCing and I thought about you during the crazy TTC process. So happy for you and your family
My lips are sealed until I see it on Facebook! Thanks. God, that seems like a long time ago, huh? I'm so very happy for you guys. Parenthood is such a wonderfully crazy awesome thing.

#9 of 10 Old 06-25-2010, 03:57 PM

Congrats on your move! I don't really know resources in DC, but my partner's parents live in Bethesda, and we visit fairly frequently--it'd be great to see you sometime there! (Plus, as you can imagine, I get there for work pretty often too...)
#10 of 10 Old 06-28-2010, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcon View Post
Congrats on your move! I don't really know resources in DC, but my partner's parents live in Bethesda, and we visit fairly frequently--it'd be great to see you sometime there! (Plus, as you can imagine, I get there for work pretty often too...)
yes yes yes! we'd love that. and yeah, though i'm leaving the academy, i'm happy to be in a place where i'll still have contacts with my friends who aren't.

and, super double fingers crossed, my partner has an interview for a visiting position at a university in DC!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page