i'm a SAHM, DP works. can i get govt assistance? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-29-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure which forum this would be best in, so Queer Parenting it is. Starting in September I will be a SAHM to our DD. Technically I will have no income, and NY doesn't have gay marriage. We are married in CT, but NY has yet to recognize this. Could I qualify for govt assistance? Would this be a state-by-state issue or is it federal?

Anyone else done this?

rainbow1284.gifbeth  stillheart.gifDW   blahblah.gif DD  Nov. 2009 and 1sttri.gif due Feb. 2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 09:05 PM

I think most aid programs are state programs. So, most likely, yes. NY doesn't recognize your marriage at all? You might have problems if your DW pays for your insurance/rent/food, etc.. which is sort of morally a gray area and legally... hmm... I'm not sure...

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
Old 06-29-2010, 10:59 PM

Just so you know, NY will recognize the marriage, EXCEPT for tax return purposes. In all other state matters, we're married. (we were married in MA last year). If you're caught, it could be bad...just sayin'.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

oh, i wasn't trying to be sneaky...i was just curious what the precidence was. since we're not married in the state of NY i wans't sure if that would affect the requirements.

i guess i just assumed that NY wasn't really recognizing our marriage mostly because of the tax thing. guess i was wrong!

thanks for the info!

rainbow1284.gifbeth  stillheart.gifDW   blahblah.gif DD  Nov. 2009 and 1sttri.gif due Feb. 2013

User Tag List