Good place to get hitched in MA? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-30-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DP and I are planning to elope in Massachusetts the first week of August. Can anyone suggest a gay-friendly city that's probably dealt with visitors from other states doing this sort of thing? We're leaning toward North Hampton, but we really don't know much about it.

As far as the three-day waiting period, if we'd like to get married on a Friday, that means we need to apply for the license the preceding Tuesday, correct? Any tips, suggestions, or advice are welcome!

Amanda (32)ribbonrainbow.gif Sue (37)
*****In Love since 2006*****
TTC #1 since March 2010 
#2 of 14 Old 06-30-2010, 01:09 PM

Northampton all the way! Such a cool city, and very gay friendly. Sorry, I don't have details on licensing or anything, but just to say that Northampton is the obvious choice for your city to elope in. If you're flying in, Bradley Airport in Hartford, CT is nearby (an hour away, I think). I'd rather fly into Bradley than Logan, it's a nice small airport without all the traffic, and you get right on 91 north, it's a straight shot.

Congratulations!

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#3 of 14 Old 06-30-2010, 01:09 PM

Well, I personally LOVE Boston... but that's just me!

Are there still residency requirements to get married in MA? I can't remember. You might run into trouble if you go to get a license and don't live here. Maybe someone can point you to a friendly license department that won't question your address?

The beach out at PTown is also nice, or Truro as well. But then again, I love the beach! What kind of setting did you have in mind? Fields of flowers? Sandy beach? County courthouse? City park?

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#4 of 14 Old 06-30-2010, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for your quick replies and suggestions! We're not going to do anything fancy... We're saving the big ceremony and reception for when it's federally legal. We're thinking more along the lines of a Justice of the Peace. Luckily the residence requirement was repealed in 2008, so that's no problem. There is just a 3-day waiting period, as far as I know.

TTC #1 since March 2010 
#5 of 14 Old 06-30-2010, 01:22 PM

Some photos and description of Northampton... don't think the photos do it justice though.

http://www.northamptonma.gov/aboutNorthampton/Visitors/

It sorta reminds me of Charleston, SC in a way, though of course Northampton is nowhere near the coast. But it just has that charm and character, cafes everywhere, lots of art galleries. But I don't think you see as many same-sex couples holding hands walking down the street in Charleston as you do in Northampton.

ETA: Better site with photos and info:
http://www.explorenorthampton.com/lgbt/

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#6 of 14 Old 06-30-2010, 01:49 PM

as a resident of northampton, i can attest to it being a great city and VERY gay friendly. it is lesbianville usa afterall

i don't know about the waiting period but the town clerk, wendy mazza, is very helpful. you could call her and ask.

there are some potential great locations for a ceremony in the summer - it all depends on what you are hoping for!

good luck and congratulations

Me, DW , and DS born 7/6/10
#7 of 14 Old 06-30-2010, 10:38 PM

We were married in Arlington, in the UU church, but Northampton is awesome! My friends went to the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge, they were very awesome.

Good luck!
K
#8 of 14 Old 07-01-2010, 08:12 AM

Northampton is great

J & A together for 6 years love.gif married since 11/09 & so in love with our DD, Reed Kylie born 2/5/11! stillheart.gif
#9 of 14 Old 07-01-2010, 08:35 AM

Massachusetts has beaches, countryside, and mountains, so you can pick your scenery.
#10 of 14 Old 07-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Banned

Please excuse my forum crashing but I just wanted to offer a great, big congratulations!

Also, I have friends who live in Northampton and every time I go visit them I love the time I spend there.

Again, congratulations. I just eloped myself - on Monday, as a matter of fact. I hope your day is a great as mine was.
#11 of 14 Old 07-01-2010, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. Northampton it is! Now to figure out the logistics...

Congrats to you, paintedfire!

TTC #1 since March 2010 
#12 of 14 Old 07-14-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, we've reserved the car, hotel, and Justice of the Peace. Now we're trying to find a pretty setting and a photographer. As far as the setting goes, we'd like to be outdoors with plenty of trees, but we also worry about rain. The photographer we would probably need for less than an hour, and s/he would obviously have to be gay friendly. Suggestions, please!

TTC #1 since March 2010 
#13 of 14 Old 07-14-2010, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaMom View Post
Okay, we've reserved the car, hotel, and Justice of the Peace. Now we're trying to find a pretty setting and a photographer. As far as the setting goes, we'd like to be outdoors with plenty of trees, but we also worry about rain. The photographer we would probably need for less than an hour, and s/he would obviously have to be gay friendly. Suggestions, please!
I was going to suggest Smith's campus--it's an arboretum with beautiful botanic gardens, and, especially in summer, is just gorgeous--but I checked on the website (http://www.smith.edu/garden/Home/wedding.html) and it looks like you need to get permissions a month in advance. I'm not sure if there's any flexibility with that, or whether you might just sort of wander in and take pictures and profess ignorance of the rules if someone questioned you (or if you'd be willing to chance it). The gardens are open to the public, though, so I don't imagine people would be swooping in to check on you (I could be wrong). And, there's nothing a Smithie likes more than a couple of dykes getting married! (Er, well, okay, I actually only speak for this Smithie, who offers her sincere congratulations from her lurky corner!) Also, if you find a local photographer who's taken pictures there before, she/he might be able to help you get around the one-month policy. Sorry I can't be helpful on that front. Wishing you the best of luck!

36, hoping to have a new member of the family in 2015, to join my queer clan: Me , Things 1&2 , my long-distance KD/cheerleader (the guy who's been telling everyone what a great mom I'm going to be) , and the rest of the superheroes and sidekicks .
#14 of 14 Old 07-16-2010, 01:33 AM

Hi there,

I am not sure if this is OK for me to post this or not, but I am a wedding photographer from MA and would be willing to photograph you guys, as long as it is not Aug. 19th. I'll be honest - I have never photographed a same-sex union, but am completely fine with that and would love the opportunity. You can email me if interested: photographybyjesserie@hotmail.com

I dont know much about North Hampton, but Cape Cod is gorgeous and has many gay-friendly areas.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page