Mothering Forum banner

Good place to get hitched in MA?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Jessie123 
#1 ·
My DP and I are planning to elope in Massachusetts the first week of August. Can anyone suggest a gay-friendly city that's probably dealt with visitors from other states doing this sort of thing? We're leaning toward North Hampton, but we really don't know much about it.

As far as the three-day waiting period, if we'd like to get married on a Friday, that means we need to apply for the license the preceding Tuesday, correct? Any tips, suggestions, or advice are welcome!

#2 ·
Northampton all the way! Such a cool city, and very gay friendly. Sorry, I don't have details on licensing or anything, but just to say that Northampton is the obvious choice for your city to elope in. If you're flying in, Bradley Airport in Hartford, CT is nearby (an hour away, I think). I'd rather fly into Bradley than Logan, it's a nice small airport without all the traffic, and you get right on 91 north, it's a straight shot.

Congratulations!

#3 ·
Well, I personally LOVE Boston... but that's just me!

Are there still residency requirements to get married in MA? I can't remember. You might run into trouble if you go to get a license and don't live here. Maybe someone can point you to a friendly license department that won't question your address?

The beach out at PTown is also nice, or Truro as well. But then again, I love the beach! What kind of setting did you have in mind? Fields of flowers? Sandy beach? County courthouse? City park?

#4 ·
Wow, thanks for your quick replies and suggestions! We're not going to do anything fancy... We're saving the big ceremony and reception for when it's federally legal. We're thinking more along the lines of a Justice of the Peace. Luckily the residence requirement was repealed in 2008, so that's no problem. There is just a 3-day waiting period, as far as I know.

#5 ·
Some photos and description of Northampton... don't think the photos do it justice though.

http://www.northamptonma.gov/aboutNorthampton/Visitors/

It sorta reminds me of Charleston, SC in a way, though of course Northampton is nowhere near the coast. But it just has that charm and character, cafes everywhere, lots of art galleries. But I don't think you see as many same-sex couples holding hands walking down the street in Charleston as you do in Northampton.

ETA: Better site with photos and info:
http://www.explorenorthampton.com/lgbt/

#6 ·
as a resident of northampton, i can attest to it being a great city and VERY gay friendly. it is lesbianville usa afterall

i don't know about the waiting period but the town clerk, wendy mazza, is very helpful. you could call her and ask.

there are some potential great locations for a ceremony in the summer - it all depends on what you are hoping for!

good luck and congratulations

#10 ·
Please excuse my forum crashing but I just wanted to offer a great, big congratulations!

Also, I have friends who live in Northampton and every time I go visit them I love the time I spend there.

Again, congratulations. I just eloped myself - on Monday, as a matter of fact. I hope your day is a great as mine was.

#12 ·
Okay, we've reserved the car, hotel, and Justice of the Peace. Now we're trying to find a pretty setting and a photographer. As far as the setting goes, we'd like to be outdoors with plenty of trees, but we also worry about rain. The photographer we would probably need for less than an hour, and s/he would obviously have to be gay friendly. Suggestions, please!

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmandaMom View Post
Okay, we've reserved the car, hotel, and Justice of the Peace. Now we're trying to find a pretty setting and a photographer. As far as the setting goes, we'd like to be outdoors with plenty of trees, but we also worry about rain. The photographer we would probably need for less than an hour, and s/he would obviously have to be gay friendly. Suggestions, please!

I was going to suggest Smith's campus--it's an arboretum with beautiful botanic gardens, and, especially in summer, is just gorgeous--but I checked on the website (http://www.smith.edu/garden/Home/wedding.html) and it looks like you need to get permissions a month in advance. I'm not sure if there's any flexibility with that, or whether you might just sort of wander in and take pictures and profess ignorance of the rules if someone questioned you (or if you'd be willing to chance it). The gardens are open to the public, though, so I don't imagine people would be swooping in to check on you (I could be wrong). And, there's nothing a Smithie likes more than a couple of ***** getting married! (Er, well, okay, I actually only speak for this Smithie, who offers her sincere congratulations from her lurky corner!) Also, if you find a local photographer who's taken pictures there before, she/he might be able to help you get around the one-month policy. Sorry I can't be helpful on that front. Wishing you the best of luck!

#14 ·
Hi there,

I am not sure if this is OK for me to post this or not, but I am a wedding photographer from MA and would be willing to photograph you guys, as long as it is not Aug. 19th. I'll be honest - I have never photographed a same-sex union, but am completely fine with that and would love the opportunity. You can email me if interested: photographybyjesserie@hotmail.com

I dont know much about North Hampton, but Cape Cod is gorgeous and has many gay-friendly areas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.