Banks that tell you sperm counts before buying? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-06-2010, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you know of any banks other that TSBC (The Sperm Bank of California) or PRS (Pacific Reproductive Services) that will tell you the sperm counts and motility for vials that are currently available? Several banks we called will tell us the average for each donor, and virtually all banks seem to tell their guaranteed minimum, but I really like knowing exactly what we are getting before we order. TSBC gives that information for free, and PRS will give it but charges $60 for each donor you ask about. Other suggestions?

Thank you!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#2 of 7 Old 07-06-2010, 07:42 PM

Hi Escher!

We've been using CCB (mostly because we committed before their last price hike, ugh). Just for your records, CCB not only won't tell you anything beyond their minimum requirement *before* you order, they now have a new policy in which you can no longer ask them to send you the vials with the highest count from your donor, or even to send all vials for a single cycle from the same donation. So that's incredibly frustrating. This cycle I was able to put these things as a "request" on my order, and did get 3 vials from the same donation with nice high counts. So it worked out, but only despite the CCB system.

HTH,
Beastie

Joyful, busy, often overwhelmed queer academic mama to an awesome toddler and:

****5****10****15****20****25**heartbeat.gif*30****35****40

#3 of 7 Old 07-08-2010, 05:26 PM

Yeah, Xytex gave averages and minimum garantees...

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

#4 of 7 Old 07-08-2010, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Beastie and Coco! Good to know!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#5 of 7 Old 07-09-2010, 11:08 PM

Good numbers was one of our two non-negotiable points when picking a donor (the other was willing-to-be-known). Basically we didn't find any besides the two you mentioned that had both WTBK and gave out the counts. So disappointing!

Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always
#6 of 7 Old 07-10-2010, 11:12 AM

we went with ccb also - while what beastie said is true, we did find with our backup donor that the counts and motility varied incredibly between donation to donation - we requested that info when the vials were shipped to our RE. so i think asking for a donor with high counts isn't always indicative of all the donations he has made or might make in the future.

note that my dp got her bfp with ici vials spun to iui from our original donor, and the counts were 9 mil and 11 mil respectively for each insem.

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#7 of 7 Old 07-10-2010, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Milletpuff and Indigoscot! It's good to know that you've found the same information available, but that sometimes it is possible to get pregnant even if the counts aren't sky high.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page