Question for those who have done at home insems - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-07-2010, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My partner and I did an at home insem round a few months back, we tried for an IUI, but I don't think we made it past the cervix with the catheter. Anyway, it didn't work. Not really such a big deal, the timing wasn't great. BUT since then I've been all kinds of messed up. I've always been a very regular, 28 day cycle. I ALWAYS start on a monday, usually around the same time of day and my flow is very heavy with pretty bad cramps. But since we did the insem my cycles have been irregular, by my standard, sometimes coming days early, sometimes a week or more late. And my flow has been very light. Has anyone experienced anything like this after an at home insem?

I've had some other stuff which I'm not sure is related to the irregular cycles, such as sudden weight gain, gaining 15 pounds over the course of 3 weeks and all in my stomach (strangely). I'm a pretty petite person and I'm now hitting numbers on the scale I've only seen when I was pregnant and pretty far along. I'm not pregnant, so don't go there, I've had blood tests and such, and it would be pretty obvious by now if I was as the insem was about 6 months ago. My PCP isn't sure what's going on and I think she's going to send me to an OBGYN or something. She has ruled out thyroid and PCOS and my blood counts are otherwise normal.

My partner thinks we messed something up in there. But I'm pretty sure we didn't. I'm just looking for some direction on what to request from my doctor, or ways to help myself here.

Thanks for reading!
#2 of 4 Old 07-07-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuper View Post
My partner and I did an at home insem round a few months back, we tried for an IUI, but I don't think we made it past the cervix with the catheter. Anyway, it didn't work. Not really such a big deal, the timing wasn't great. BUT since then I've been all kinds of messed up. I've always been a very regular, 28 day cycle. I ALWAYS start on a monday, usually around the same time of day and my flow is very heavy with pretty bad cramps. But since we did the insem my cycles have been irregular, by my standard, sometimes coming days early, sometimes a week or more late. And my flow has been very light. Has anyone experienced anything like this after an at home insem?

I've had some other stuff which I'm not sure is related to the irregular cycles, such as sudden weight gain, gaining 15 pounds over the course of 3 weeks and all in my stomach (strangely). I'm a pretty petite person and I'm now hitting numbers on the scale I've only seen when I was pregnant and pretty far along. I'm not pregnant, so don't go there, I've had blood tests and such, and it would be pretty obvious by now if I was as the insem was about 6 months ago. My PCP isn't sure what's going on and I think she's going to send me to an OBGYN or something. She has ruled out thyroid and PCOS and my blood counts are otherwise normal.

My partner thinks we messed something up in there. But I'm pretty sure we didn't. I'm just looking for some direction on what to request from my doctor, or ways to help myself here.

Thanks for reading!
Perhaps you are pregnant??
#3 of 4 Old 07-07-2010, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykemom View Post
Perhaps you are pregnant??
Very unlikely. I've done numerous pee tests and had a blood draw, all negative. Plus if I were pregnant, by now I would be able to feel the fundus above the belly button and it just isn't there. There is nothing there.
#4 of 4 Old 07-07-2010, 04:44 PM

Sorry that you're going thru all of this! I don't think that anything you could have done at home would have caused it all, so try not to worry yourself too much about it.

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page