Orgasms, timing and EWCM, oh my! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-13-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello again folks!

I'm looking for some opinions on what the best insemination plan for me will be and am hoping that I came to the right place!

We are inseminating with a known donor for the first time this month. In the last 3 months I have done everything I can to prepare. I have never had EWCM so I started taking a supplement called FertileCM, drinking a ton of water and green tea, eating baby carrots in bulk around ovulation time and taking mucinex. Last month I broke down and had some full fat dairy (I was a vegan and will be again once finally pregnant). The dairy seemed to do more than the rest of that stuff combined. But even with all of that I just got more wet around ovulation time - nothing stretchy or egg white like.

However, when I have an orgasm I make a lot of arousal fluid and it is slippery and stretchy (could easily stretch 6 inches).

So, I am wondering if it would just be best for me to have an orgasm before inseminating. I have read conflicting information about arousal fluid. Some sources say it's good for sperm, others say it changes the PH of the vagina because it is more acidic than CM and thus not good for sperm. Thoughts?

Also, I know that a lot of people like to orgasm after insemination so that the cervix will dip down and pick up some sperm. Well I don't orgasm easily. If I put in an instead of cup after insemination would oral sex be OK or could her saliva still kill the sperm? If oral sex is out my only other option is a powerful vibrator and I'm a bit worried about all that shaking on the poor little guys.

Luckily, we should be able to try 3 or 4 times in the fertile window so perhaps I should try a variety of options.

Wow, I can't believe I just posted all of that on a public forum ... I just didn't know who else to ask!

Thanks in advance for your expertise!
#2 of 4 Old 07-13-2010, 09:34 PM

Hi- good luck on your first insem! My DP got pregnant on our first at-home cycle with a KD, and she doesn't get any EWCM (just wetness around ovulation) so I was very concerned, for no reason as it turned out. She orgasmed before each insemination (actually maybe for the last one she did it after the insem...now i can't remember). we used preseed so maybe that helped with the lack of EWCM situation? we did the insems 3 days before O, 2 days before, and day of (we were using the OvaCue so we knew exact time of ovulation). She is now 8 weeks along. I hope this is helpful! Sorry i don't know about your other questions re: saliva etc.
#3 of 4 Old 07-15-2010, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your response CityGirl! I guess I'll just try a few inseminations with an orgasm before and see what happens. I'm sure I'm over thinking it!

I have an ovacue as well but also chart and use sometimes use OPKs if I have cheap ones on hand. For the most part the ovacue has been reliable but last month it said I ovulated 5 days after my chart, my OPKs and my body said I did so now I'm a bit more reluctant to trust it.
#4 of 4 Old 07-16-2010, 01:19 PM

imho, worrying whether you have an orgasm or not is worse than just going with the flow. If you feel more comfortable having an orgasm beforehand, that's totally okay. The cycle my DP got pregnant, we had sex (fingers, no oral I think) a little before the insem as far as I remember, but no O, because the month before, she O'd after insem, and the sperm all came spilling out. lol If you'd rather have oral after I'm sure the Instead would help protect the sperm and keep it in there.

We didn't use preseed or Insteads. To amp up EWCM (she didn't have much if any), she drank nettle and alfalfa infisions I made for her. Oh, and took some kind of oil capsules that were a step up from evening primrose, but I can never remember what they're called. I'll ask DP later.

Good luck!

placenta.gifeat.gif I'm a queer / trans-activist / poly / pagan / (dis)abled  / crazy / crunchy partner to fsonj; we're mamas to our unschooled/freeskooled 10yo, and co-breastfeed our sprightly toddler love.gif born Nov '10! (Ask me about how to supplement at the breast!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page