Anybody going to the Target protest Saturday? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-13-2010, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am SOOO angry with Target, and I have stopped shopping there since I learned about their campaign contribution shenanigans. (And it's killing me! I love Target!) I know there are going to be protests at all stores this Saturday, and I was pretty psyched up to go, but now I'm starting to get cold feet. We live in such a small town that any kind of activism gets a lot of attention (which is a good thing, of course), but I'm not sure I want to place myself and my family in the fray. I know, shame on me, right? It'd be one thing if I was a childless lesbian, but we are one of only 2 rainbow families that I know of in our area. There are a lot of narrow-minded rednecks around here, and I'm thinking I'll just channel my protest into the form of a letter to Target telling them how much money they will be losing from my family.

Thoughts?

If anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, here's a link:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...5306202?ref=mf

SAHM to my beautiful, joyful, silent D (9/90) and exuberant, charismatic, not-so-silent S (11/07) and our precious little chickpea DD born 3/11 ,+7 animals. Partner to my lovely "M.O". Trying to live with intention.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 08-13-2010, 12:37 AM

i didn't know about it... i have to work all day on saturday otherwise i'd be going to my hometown target to protest.

thanks for the link to facebook... i shared it on my wall and pleaded with my friends and family to boycott with me.

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#3 of 9 Old 08-16-2010, 03:28 AM

Oops, I didn't hear about the protest. My guess is that we didn't have one locally. We're also in a pretty conservative area.
My wife works at Target and she's told a few co-workers about the situation... but most employees have no idea.
We haven't spent $ at Target since, but our alternatives are limited.

Momma to one munchkin
#4 of 9 Old 08-17-2010, 12:18 AM

I hadn't heard about any protests here, but I sure as heck wish they'd come to a "solution" and get back in the good graces of the gay community. I need TP.

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

#5 of 9 Old 08-17-2010, 12:22 AM

According to HRC's website today, Target (who we used to affectionately call Tar-gay) isn't willing to take any reparative action. Sigh.
http://www.hrc.org/14698.htm#

I won't shop there, I won't shop at Walmart. I have a few options (being a city dweller) but I feel for my suburban and rural counterparts.

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

#6 of 9 Old 08-19-2010, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Same here. I'm generally not a big box shopper... I'd rather not get cheap stuff on the backs of the workers.
About TP though... have you considered going cloth for the "front area"? It's saved DP and I a tonne!!

I'm a queer, poly, pagan, (dis)abled, crazy, crunchy, intersectionally-minded feminist. fsonj & I are mamas to our unschooled/freeschooled 12yo & 3yo!  (Ask me about co-breastfeeding, supplementing at the breast, inducing lactation, eating placentas, undisturbed birth, and parenting a genderqueer child with Aspergers!)
#7 of 9 Old 08-21-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erthe_mama View Post
About TP though... have you considered going cloth for the "front area"? It's saved DP and I a tonne!!
Ah, yes. I have mentioned this jokingly to my wife. She was not amused We're not that crunchy, but good for you!

#8 of 9 Old 08-22-2010, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks! My wife was a bit iffy about it at first too... lol

I'm a queer, poly, pagan, (dis)abled, crazy, crunchy, intersectionally-minded feminist. fsonj & I are mamas to our unschooled/freeschooled 12yo & 3yo!  (Ask me about co-breastfeeding, supplementing at the breast, inducing lactation, eating placentas, undisturbed birth, and parenting a genderqueer child with Aspergers!)
#9 of 9 Old 08-26-2010, 05:48 AM

I'm so darn frustrated about Target's refusal to do anything. It feels so fruitless to boycott without them noticing. But really, we don't buy any necessities there, so we could easily make the boycott a forever thing, like Wal-Mart.
On the TP front... DD and I use cloth wipes and I use mama cloth, but DW is staying with paper.

Momma to one munchkin

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page