Books to counter Dobson's anti-gay message? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-01-2010, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, friends! I miss these forums, I really should come back more often.

This particular visit was inspired by the fact that I recently started teaching at a preschool that is based in the basement of a church. It's a really liberal place, lots of cool people, so I was startled when I saw "Bringing Up Boys" by James Dobson on display. I flipped thru it to the section where he discusses homosexuality as something that children must be treated for if they're exhibiting signs of it... and I know the staff doesn't agree with that thought. Hell, 2 out of the 9 of us are openly queer!

I don't want to go in guns-ablazin' and start a sh*tstorm about the book... but I would like to have an alternative. Something Christian-based and gay-friendly, but not so much about gay parents as about possibly gay kids.

I've got a list of possibilities, but I'm wondering if you all had any you'd swear by?

TIA~

Abby crochetsmilie.gif madly in love with surf.gif Amy

Mama to Danny superhero.gif 12/18/04 and Shenandoah hearts.gif 12/13/06 

computergeek2.gif http://cleanqueen.wordpress.com nocirc.gif  selectivevax.gif  namaste.gif     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-01-2010, 12:42 PM

I would take the book to the director of the preschool program and ask if they are aware of this content and why it is being displayed. It could have been donated or something?
#3 of 5 Old 09-01-2010, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Very likely, but I want to have, in my other hand, an alternative.

computergeek2.gif http://cleanqueen.wordpress.com nocirc.gif  selectivevax.gif  namaste.gif     
#4 of 5 Old 09-01-2010, 10:47 PM

Are you looking for a parenting book geared toward adults, or a children's book with a gay-friendly message?

I'd love to see your list of possibilities. I haven't been able to find anything that addresses the issue to my liking, to be honest. I'm not religious and I can't even find anything in secular parenting books!

There are some books on this page that look promising but I must admit I haven't read any of them. http://www.gayfamilysupport.com/gay-help-books.html
#5 of 5 Old 09-02-2010, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

A parenting book geared towards adults, definitely.

My list of possibilities has gone in hiding! I'll try to find it... but I have not read any of them myself. And the book doesn't have to be "Christian" per se, so much as be in line with Christian values... love thy neighbor and whatnot. At this point, I'm just looking for anything... I'm not a religious person either - spiritual, yes, but in a witchy-buddhist sort of way. Might scare off a couple of folks if I were to bring that element in

Thanks for the link, I'll look it over!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page