We are looking into that too. It's exhausting though. This donor is a very close friend and we are all on the same page. I totally trust him, and we have 12 years of history together. I am so happy about the idea of having him as a sort of family member. We did consider a local donor in the beginning, and though he was perfect "on paper", and lived a few hours away, we decided against going forward with him for a few other key reasons. But we are re-opening that door, reluctantly.
I feel like it's an insane, delicate balance: using a KD is signing up for something lifelong, so on the one hand, sacrificing what I see to be the ideal candidate for immediate money reasons seems WRONG. On the other hand, money is a very real limitation for us. We have limited resources, have drained most of our cash savings already (but not retirement), and don't have family that could or would help us. I'm also 35 so I don't want to wait and save up money for a year or two - an option I'd be more likely to consider if I were 25.
I hate having to even ASK questions like: do I tap into my retirement savings to keep trying with this donor? Do I go back to frozen sperm and somehow make peace with the fact that that ISN'T the vision I had for my family and for my kid? Just sucks.
Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always