How long will the fresh shipped sperm stay? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-01-2010, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So Hi guys, my name is Raegan and my wifey and I are TTC our 2nd. I have a child from a previous relationship. We have a donor but he lives across the country. I got my LH surge (I think) today and our donor is sending his sperm as we speak!! Woo! Here is the issue: I HAVE to work tomorrow at 9:00 AM. Our sperm should be arriving at 8:30AM. It takes 25 min to get to work. So How long will the sperm stay good once it arrives. I have been researching and I can't find anything! Should I divide it up, shoot some up and run to work and then actually have sex and try again later? I need help from people who have been there! Thanks!

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
#2 of 12 Old 10-01-2010, 05:28 PM

Mizyellow: I honestly don't know a lot about this but when it is shipped, the donor should be using a semen extender to help preserve the semen during shipment. As long as the sperm stays in its packaging, I think you would have some time until you got off work. If you think about it, some people ship sperm from other countries where it takes more than overnight to get it to them. With the use of the cooling elements plus the extender, you should be okay to inseminate later in the evening.

I would not recommend trying to do it before you leave work. 5 minutes is not long enough and you should lay down afterwards. You also should try to have an orgasm. The process takes time, rushing it isn't a great idea.

Hopefully someone else can answer how long it's good for once it's left the possession of the donor.

me (40) DP (47) TTC since April 2010, 5 IUIs & 6 at home w/ fresh
Short luteal phase, septum resection in Sept 2011
Jan 2011 a BFP! Try #11 angel.gif 8w2d (blighted ovum)
April 2011 BFP! Try #12 angel.gif 9w2d (no heartbeat)

Nov 2011 BFP! Try #14 angel.gif 8w0d (twins, no heartbeat)

June 2012 -- Moving onto IVF with PGD

#3 of 12 Old 10-01-2010, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

THanks! I am assuming that it has the extender in it. I am afraid to wait any longer than the morning because I I had a LH surge last night and won't get the sperm til the morning. I am nervous that i will miss my surge. T

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
#4 of 12 Old 10-01-2010, 11:05 PM

I've heard that if refrigerated the sperm can live up to 96 hours. I think it's totally dependent on the individual, though.

I can attest to the method working and swimmers being QUITE alive and well after shipping -- we got pregnant (but m/c) from shipped fresh sperm and the doc's office had a look at the sample under the microscope and gave it an A+.

In your position given your surge timing, I'd do a quick insem in the morning, stay put for as long as possible (maybe consider the instead cup too?) and then do another tomorrow evening.

Good luck!

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#5 of 12 Old 10-02-2010, 03:33 AM

When we used the BioTranz kit, they gave very specific instructions on how long we had to use it. Are you using them? I'd call them. I think the instructions were actually over the phone - we had a crazy complex timing thing happen (our KD had to leave for Europe the day before I O'ed, so we got a BioTranz and he left it with us. But we specifically wanted to wait as long as possible.

Also semi-thread-crash question: how do people ship fresh sperm internationally? I have never been able to find a way to make this happn. Kgulbransen please do tell!!!

Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always
#6 of 12 Old 10-02-2010, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Well I think I missed Oing this month. My temps jumped 1 degree this morning. I am so bummed.

#7 of 12 Old 10-02-2010, 09:33 AM

Mizyellow: I'm sorry. What a disappointment! Have you done opks other cycles? How were they related to when you had a temp jump?

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#8 of 12 Old 10-02-2010, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

This is actually our first try. I have never used OPKs before. I got confused because my test line was never qute as dark as my control line. But I should have followed my gut and ordered the sperm when I thought it looked the darkest. I feel like i wasted my time and money this month. We went ahead and inseminated anyway this afternoon, just in case. Bummed.

#9 of 12 Old 10-04-2010, 03:05 PM

hi there, yellow!

remember that it takes 24 hours or more for the egg to travel through your fallopian tube. so inseming a bit later doesn't mean that you totally missed the window. stay positive!

my test line wasn't as dark as the control line this month, either. but it probably just because it happened at an hour that i didn't test. who knows? as long as the line is dark enough to not have to squint, i see it as a good sign.

good luck to you! and welcome to your official 2ww!

~ alison
me and my girl looking for a little luck to conceive and homebirth our first.
#10 of 12 Old 10-04-2010, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I never got a super dark line, but my CM was super stretchy and watery, my cervix was high, soft, and open on Sunday! So I think I have a good chance this month! I got preggo very easily with my son so I hoping I have a similiar experience this time!
You are in the 2WW too, when is AF due?

#11 of 12 Old 10-05-2010, 07:18 AM

well, with all those signs, i say you timed it pretty well.

i'm due about the 14th, granted i have a 26-day cycle again. but i'm testing on the 16th if i have any symptoms. if not, i'll just wait it to 30 days. i have a great feeling about timing and 3 insems, but not so great about the quality of sperm. (he was not nearly as healthy as we thought.) i try not to think about the 2ww every day. we're almost hoping that his sperm didn't take. yay for mixed emotions!

~ alison
me and my girl looking for a little luck to conceive and homebirth our first.
#12 of 12 Old 10-05-2010, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Ruby,
Ugh I am sure that was frustrating! That is the catch 22 with using a KD, you get see the bad AND good things they do! We are using an (almost) AD, he could be a binge drinker and we would have no clue. There are obviously lots that is tested for but there are some things that can't be discovered on tests! I am still hoping for a BFP for you! Pepsi or no pepsi!
My cycles are short as well, actually anywhere between 21-25 days so I will be testing around the 13th (if I can hold out!) I am trying to enjoy all the things I can do not being preggo (drink coffee, wine with dinner, lots of sushi) it hleps the 2WW for me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page