December Queer Conceptions - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 344 Old 12-16-2010, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I met with a Dr and am debating between in office and at home Im in my early twentys

#182 of 344 Old 12-16-2010, 06:53 PM

kgulbransen - I would recommend having the surgery, and here's why.  I have this pesky endometrioma on one of my ovaries.  It's kind of big, but the dr said it's up to me if I want to have it removed.  He said it's *probably* not preventing me from getting pregnant, and that it's a completely separate thing.  He called it a gyno issue and not a reproductive issue.  (I had already had a painful HSG and a painful polypectomy.)  I decided not to have it removed for many reasons, mostly because my insurance changed and I haven't been able to get to my preferred doctor.  Our last try was in July - it was a medicated IUI.  I had EIGHT FOLLICLES.  And I did not get pregnant.  Eight.  Not pregnant.  Our insurance changed in August, and I ignored the endometrioma.  So we just did our first (and probably only) IVF.  We basically have decided this is the last chance, because we've long passed the point where we really should've stopped spending money on this.  The doctor was very convinced that I could pregnant via IVF because he could see nothing stopping me.  So then we pay all of this money, retrieve the eggs, I'm in miserable pain for 2 days from the retrieval, I'm taking shots, antibiotics, steroids, prenatal vitamins, etc, etc... the transfer was NOT pleasant... and then we find out that my eggs are of slightly diminished quality, and he said it could be the endometrioma causing it.  If I take it out, would it change the quality of my eggs?  I don't know, but that will be a question I ask if I don't get pregnant with the embryos he has waiting for me.  My point is, I'm kicking myself for not getting rid of the endometrioma, because not only has the IVF cycle been emotionally challenging, it's been PHYSICALLY challenging, especially since the retrieval.  I have put my body through so much, and then to find out the day OF my transfer that my embryos were fragmented - it was heartbreaking.  I can't imagine having a condition that might increase my chance of miscarriage, KNOW that, go through all of the IVF stuff, and even suffer *one* miscarriage, you know?  Have you done IVF before?  It has affected me way more than I thought it would.  In the same respect, I totally am with you on the not wanting to wait.  I am so impatient and I feel like with each passing month, my chances of ever conceiving diminish.  Maybe the odds are on your side - maybe it's only a slightly increased chance of miscarriage.  But having gone through what I have in the past month (not to mention the past year and a half - really 3 years if you count from when we first went to clinic for our first consult), I would encourage the surgery.  I know it's not the advice you want, but that's my 2 cents (okay maybe 75 cents... or even 1.25).  

As a side note about IVF and my impatience - the whole thing was so not pleasant that if we're not pregnant this month, I think we're taking at least a month off because I don't think I'll be up for another transfer right away.  I just feel like I need a break.... and this is after a four month break after our last try.

By the way, my tww ends tomorrow - the bloating has gone down some, but my whole digestive system is definitely out of whack.  I can't quite describe it.  I've had very minimal and mild PMS cramps, and I feel like I *usually* start getting them by now, but my cycle is all shades of crazy because of the hormones I've been on.  Last time I used the PIO injections, I started spotting around 13DPO, which is tomorrow for this cycle.  I've spotted as early as 7DPO - my body really likes to play tricks on me.  Tomorrow I'll know - and tomorrow evening will either be a sober evening, or an evening with 1-3 gin and tonics.  Time will tell.  

Hoping for a Christmas miracle...

Partner (35) and I (32) have been together since 2004, TTC #1 since 9/09 - 7 failed IUIs with KD

12/17/10: First round IVF w/ WTBK donor results in pos.gif ; 2/13/11 M/C after emergency surgery angel.gif  

Try #9 FET 4/11 - Negative.  Try #10: IVF 6/11 - Negative.  Next up: Try #11 FET 8/11

#183 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 05:07 AM

5G, thinking of you today and my fingers are crossed ever so tightly! fingersx.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#184 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 06:09 AM

kgulbransen - surgery or no surgery.  first of all, i would make 100% sure that you do have a bicornuate uterus and not an arcuate uterus or septate uterus.  having been through something similar myself, it turned out after being told by our clinic (not reproductive experts) that i had a bicornuate uterus it turned out on consulation with an expert that i have an arcuate uterus which is just a variation on normal.

now, if you do have a bicornuate uterus you have those 2 options.  if you have surgery it may work and it may not.  it could cause uterine scarring which will make implantation unlikely around that area - and many blastocysts burrow in right where that scarring would be.  if you do not have surgery, there is still a good chance you could get and stay pregnant.  however, there are many factors.  sometimes one side of the bicornuate uterus is bigger than the other which would impact the growing baby and cause premature delivery.  what i was told is that there is a higher chance of second trimester miscarriage with this condition because there may not be room for the baby to grow.  basically if implantation was to happen in either ot the heart-shaped areas, there would be a higher chance of miscarriage.

good luck with your decision.  i think the important thing is to gather all the information and ask your doctor as many questions as you can.

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#185 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 07:14 AM

Good morning all!  It's Pajama Day at my school, so I'm lounging in my gown. It's a lovely way to spend the day, for sure. 

5G~ What's the news? We're all waiting with bated breath!!!

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

#186 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 07:14 AM

So...at the risk of ruining everyones day....

Did any of you see TIME magazine a couple of weeks ago? They have that "Numbers" section which is usually at the bottom of one of the middle pages and it's a row of statistics. They are usually really interesting and random, but significant. WELL, this particular issue said (this is a bit of a paraphrase as I can't remember exactly how it was stated) "Each miscarriage raises a woman's chance of heart disease by 40%."

The problem with putting a statistic like this in the "Numbers" section is that there is no background info, no "for more info go here", and no qualifying statements. Has anyone heard/seen anything along these lines? 

Taking a break for a bit to attempt to salvage my sanity. wool.gif
#187 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 07:50 AM

Scarlett~ Yikes! I hadn't seen that, but wtf? What's the correlation between the two? That's a HUGE jump!  I agree, I'd like to see some more research on the subject and not just their random isolated factoid.

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

#188 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 08:19 AM

Okay, delurking just for a moment.  As a statistician who works in public health, I have to jump in.  This wasn't a randomized trial-- they couldn't randomly make some women miscarry and others not-- so you can't say anything about cause and effect.  They can only talk about associations.  It may be that women who tend to miscarry (and I've only seen 3 or more as a risk factor in this context) also have a trait that makes them have a higher risk for heart disease.  Like there's some underlying condition that may cause both.  Any other conclusion would be similar to saying umbrellas cause rain, because every time there's rain there are umbrellas.  And finally, a 40% increase in a very, very tiny number is still a very tiny number.  They're talking about relative risk, when the absolute risk is still very small.  I hope that helps some.

I'll go back to silently cheering you all on, now, so that you can join us in Q&P.

Mom to DS (3) and a new baby!  Geeked to be married to my love love.gif

#189 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 08:31 AM

I'm on the west coast so we're just about to leave for the beta. I'll know the results later this afternoon. I did start feeling period cramps this am (sigh), but no spotting so far.

I'll check in w news later. Happy Friday!

Partner (35) and I (32) have been together since 2004, TTC #1 since 9/09 - 7 failed IUIs with KD

12/17/10: First round IVF w/ WTBK donor results in pos.gif ; 2/13/11 M/C after emergency surgery angel.gif  

Try #9 FET 4/11 - Negative.  Try #10: IVF 6/11 - Negative.  Next up: Try #11 FET 8/11

#190 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Seraf—I would LOVE a snow day, but the city here never closes.  And lately it’s been too cold to sled.  –sigh- My coworker is talking about having his son’s 2nd birthday party at a sled hill early next year, though, so I’m encouraging him to go through with it. 

Library—cookies are in the mail!  I hope they don’t get too squished. smile.gif

Lisedea—if there is any time that it’s ok to feel sorry for yourself, I’d say this is it.  I hope that you are feeling better soon, though! hug2.gif

Escher—sounds like you nailed the timing!  I hope you’re wrong about this month and end up totally preggo! 

Krista—I have no good advice, but I am sorry that you have to deal with this. hug2.gif

Starling—If you wait until Monday night you can find out during the total lunar eclipse!

It’ll probably be around midnight for you… But if not, there are some lovely sticks at grocery stores, too. 

Ahope—thanks for the good wishes!  Just make sure to keep us updated from time to time so we know things are still going well for you!

Gracie—do you have someone to help you at home, or would you be doing it yourself?  I think it’s sweet you want them close together in age like that!

5G—how is it going?  I hope it’s good news and not gin, but from the sounds of it, gin is totally where I’d be if the news weren’t good.  Everything crossed for your Christmas miracle! fingersx.gif

Scarlett and Pigirl—Yikes and Thank you!  Glad to know that the risk isn’t huge, and that statistics need to be explained! 

AFM—swimmer pickup scheduled for tomorrow, still no smiley-face (I’m hoping for Monday-Tuesday, ideally), and WAY more Christmas cards than I know what to do with! 

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#191 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 09:29 AM

its just me I have some supportive friends and will be hiring a mothers helper soon , after parenting DS for the last 7 months I can imagine doing it with a a partner I would really rather parent alone

#192 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 09:55 AM

Pigirl-- I had the thought that maybe the m/c was the effect, not the cause. Like people that have some sort of clotting disorder are more likely to have A)  Miscarriages and B) Heart disease....  but I thought it was odd that it said "each" miscarriage raises the risk by 40%. I also agree that 40% of a tiny number is still a tiny number, but what a stat to throw out without any back ground info to the lots & lots of women that have had multiple miscarriages. Thanks for chiming in and giving us more info~

#193 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 11:43 AM

Thinking of you today fivegrandbaby!  I'm really hoping the beta comes back nice and strong.  And, if you ever want to talk endometriosis, I'm your gal.  I've got an endometrioma on my right ovary that has been hanging out for over 10 years.  We're practically bffs at this point. 

Professional nerd, DP to Megan and mommy to 3 y/o Bam Bam . TTC since January '09.  Welcomed our new babes May 22, 2011. Now living life in the NICU one day at a time.
#194 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

Happy Friday!

5G: I have everything crossed for good news from you today! fingersx.gif

Scarlett and Pigirl: I wonder if it has something to do with low progesterone, since I think there is some evidence that low progesterone increases the risk of heart disease as well as the risk of miscarriage. It would make sense that in general people who have multiple miscarriages might have lower progesterone than people who don't. I don't know. It is certainly discouraging for those of us with chronically low progesterone...

Graceie: It sounds like you have a good support system in place. orngbiggrin.gif

Isa: I'm glad you'll be able to pick up the swimmers in plenty of time. I hope the smiley face shows up exactly when you want it! fingersx.gif

Krista: It sounds like quite a dilemma. I'm glad that Indigo, 5G, and Starling have some advice for you. Good luck figuring out what to do!

AmandaHope: Hooray for a good ultrasound! Congratulations! joy.gif

Starling: It's so hard to wait. Honestly, I believe in testing early, because I always feel like we all end up obsessing anyway, so why not test and see if you happen to get a positive. Clearly I am a bad influence if you are trying to wait to test.

Max: I'm sorry your cycle is running long. Maybe it is giving your body a tiny bit more time to heal before IVF? I hope your appointments went well today!

Mizyellow: Hooray for poop! orngtongue.gif

Library: I'll probably start testing on the 25th or 26th. Congratulations on being done with school!

AFM: We found a new donor that we like a lot, so we're excited to use him next cycle. His health is fine and his looks match well enough, and he just seems super nice. We still need to choose a back-up in case somehow he isn't available. We're probably going to end up ordering the next batch of sperm while we are visiting my family, so we want to have already decided who we want. We've been ordering one cycle's worth of sperm at a time, but we're thinking about ordering two cycles (4 vials) at once to avoid paying the shipping charges ($200) as often. My RE can store it for $30 per month. But if I somehow did get pregnant with it the first month, would it be possible to ship the unused sperm back to the bank? Or would I then need to store all my sperm at the RE's office to avoid paying storage fees at two locations? Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#195 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 02:57 PM

O
M
G

B
F
P

HCG = 27 on 10dp3dt. Needs to be 55 on Monday. Thankful and IN TOTAL
SHOCK...but trying to take it one step at a time. Today, we celebrate GOOD NEWS, and we
hope and pray for the best.
justrose13 likes this.

#196 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 03:04 PM

5grand wishing you a sticky baby and healthy pregnacy

#197 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 03:07 PM

5G!!! That's great news! joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

banana.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gif

Mama to Alex, born 8/11. Just changed my username...
#198 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

5grand ...

Congratulations on your BFP!!!

WHOO HOO! 

Stick, baby, stick!  Hang onto the pole! 

dust.gif

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#199 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 03:28 PM

5G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Amazing!!!!!!!!!  You deserve it~I hope you're celebrating tonight!!!! Stick, bean!! Congratulations!!! oxoxobouncy.gifjumpers.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gif

#200 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 04:02 PM

Fivegrandbaby!  Yay yay yay!  How many sticky beans are we hoping for?  Think each egg became identical twins?

broc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gif banana.gif

broc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gif

broc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gif

broc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gif banana.gif

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#201 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 05:30 PM

CONGRATULATIONS Fivegrandbaby!!!!!

Professional nerd, DP to Megan and mommy to 3 y/o Bam Bam . TTC since January '09.  Welcomed our new babes May 22, 2011. Now living life in the NICU one day at a time.
#202 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

5G: HOORAY!!!!!!!! joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif
banana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gif
banana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gif
stork-suprise.gifbiggrinbounce.gifthumb.gifenergy.gifclap.gifnod.gifjumpers.gifbaby.gif1sttri.gifbelly.gifsticky.gifjoy.gif
Can I move you to December bfps please? orngbiggrin.gif

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#203 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 06:03 PM

congrats 5G! way to go and here's hoping for a very sticky bean!

AFM: I went to my girl doc on wednesday and she told me she's really excited for me to start trying and to send her whatever paper work I need her to sign to get June insems underway! It made me really happy and I really like her! June couldn't come faster now!

DP to Sara, two crazy kids running around, lil dude born 11-1-11babyf.gif and the new guy is home !! babyboy.gif  (5/2/12)

#204 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 06:11 PM

Oh and yes test early I got a BFP with DS at 3 weeks with like 5 HPTs three different brands

#205 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 06:32 PM

joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif CONGRATULATIONS, fivegrandbaby!!!!! joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#206 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 06:35 PM

5G- Congratulations! joy.gif

banana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifdrum.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifdrum.gif

TTC#1 since Sept, 2009; in heartbeat.gif w DP, + two young dogs. Started adoption process May 2011. adoptionheart-1.gif  Baby boy born on June 18, 2013 and placed with us.babyboy.gif

#207 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 06:51 PM

5G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  YES YES YES YES!!!!! HOOORAY!!!!!!!

banana.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifheartbeat.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifheartbeat.gif

banana.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifheartbeat.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifheartbeat.gif

Stick stick stick little bean! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

jumpers.gifwool.gifwool.gifwool.gifjumpers.gif

#208 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 06:56 PM

5G!! Hooray!!

broc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gif
broc1.gifjoy.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gif
broc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gif
broc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifsticky.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gif
broc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifwool.gif
jumpers.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gif

Christie: taking a break until further notice on TTC #1
Mama to 1 rotten beagle and 3 kittehs
#209 of 344 Old 12-17-2010, 07:04 PM

escher - sure, you can move me!  No matter what happens, I'm pregnant today!!  And I'm doing everything I can to keep positive energy flowing around me.  joy.gif

seraf - You know, before we transferred, I only wanted one.  We were only going to transfer one embryo.  We ended up transferring 2 at the dr's suggestion.  At this point, I'll take whatever is in there!  I feel like I can't be picky.... Hopefully not more than 2, simply because of the risks associated with HOM.  

Thanks for the congrats! *hoping for doubling HCG by Monday*

#210 of 344 Old 12-18-2010, 04:38 AM

chiquitayy, what's up with this?? taking a break... you might not be so single?? inquiring minds want to know! love.gif all the best to you!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page