Queer & Pregnant: December & January - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2010, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Beautiful belly, Wehrli!

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 10:14 AM

Wehrli~ What an awesome belly!  I'll post a pic of mine soon. My 5yo nephew was showing his 'big belly' too and it's a pretty cute pic if I do say so myself.   

We had a great holiday~ a lot of driving and a lot of food, but lots of fun, and good to see my dad and sister, both of whom live out of state.  My grandma and uncle re-covered my great grandma's rocking chair and it's just beautiful ( and SO NICE to be sitting in it again rather than the uncomfortable camping chair I'd been sitting in meantimes)   My cousins also gave us a 28 gallon tub of baby girl clothes, which are really cute (and not ALL pink!)  We did go through the tub and are donating everything that says 'Daddy's girl' and everything that has Disney princesses on it.  My mom filled up both DP and my's stocking with baby shoes and board books and stuff. It was pretty cute. 

Hope everyone else had a wonderful holiday.  Soon it will be the new year, the one in which we all have our babies!!!!

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

Old 12-28-2010, 11:32 AM

Hello, Everyone!

Big congrats to kimlyn and mtnlisa! joy.gif

And more big congrats to AHope and all the other newly pregnant ladies on the board! joy.gif

I hope you'll all forgive me for a long absence. I've had a rough pregnancy with all sorts of problems and I stayed away from the boards because I would have been a real downer for everyone. My biggest problem was severe pregnancy-induced insomnia. I didn't sleep more than 2 hours a night for a good 4 or 5 months. The lack of sleep made it almost impossible to recover from a back injury, so I had bad hip and back pain the whole time, to boot. At the point where I could no longer function, we started trying medications - something I never thought I'd do while pregnant! Finally, last week, we found something that worked. I'm not sleeping great, but at least I'm getting some sleep now! So while I'm starting to feel very pregnant at 35 weeks, I feel better than I have for almost my entire pregnancy. Go figure!

So I'm 35 weeks today and baby dropped yesterday! It feels so weird - like my pelvis is falling down! But it's a good thing. She's been head down and in "perfect birth position" since 27 weeks, so hopefully she's just as ready as I am to get this show on the road! 

I got some great tips on avoiding postpartum depression from our birth center, so I'll have to come back and share those soon. In the meantime, I hope you're all well and I hope to be able to keep up better with everyone's updates! smile.gif

stork-girl.gif She's here! She's here! She's here!
Baby Girl T - January 30, 2011
6lbs, 9oz   19inches
Old 12-28-2010, 11:59 AM

Korey~ Nice to hear from you again, I'm glad that you're finally recovering from all that dreadfulness!!  I had a bit of insomnia, but nothing like that. Sleep is so important, and nothing's worse than just lying there hour after hour. Yay for the baby dropping, and the 'perfect birth position'. My li'l biscuit keeps flipping over and kicking me in the back of the navel, then flipping back, feet down again.  I hope she gets head-down before long, and stays that way. I don't want any breech complications, for real.  I really do look forward to your post partum depression tips. It's something I certainly hope to avoid.  I've heard that ingesting parts of the placenta helps, but I'm not sure I can actually do that. I don't want to judge, but the thought weirds me out.   So, yes! I look forward to hearing what you've learned. 

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

Old 12-28-2010, 12:42 PM

korey! i've been thinking about you... glad you are back and feeling [somewhat] better! and yay for perfectly positioned babies! my li'l one has been acting much like library's with the addition of kicking upwards in the last week or so. i'm hoping that within the next week or so this LO will choose head down for good!

i also can't wait to hear about the PP tips you have... i'm a little concerned about that and as library said i don't judge but i don't think i can ingest placenta... well unless it was in capsule form. but i don't think there is anyone around here willing to do that for a price i can afford.

ok, so i'm impatiently awaiting a pic of library's belly... anyone else willing to share?? come on! i wanna see some baby bumps!

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
Old 12-28-2010, 02:47 PM

I can't wait to have an actual bump to show off!  For now, I don't notice any change, and it may take a while, since I already had a nice belly before getting pregnant. wink1.gif

Korey--so sorry to hear how miserable you've been.  I can't imagine insomnia AND back problems. UGH.  Very glad to read that you are feeling better now.  Wow--35 weeks!  We need a belly pic!  Are you getting excited for the birth? What are your plans?

Library--your chair sounds really nice.  And what's not to love about a tub full of mostly useful baby clothes?  If we have a boy, I have a friend with twin boys who will probably drown us in hand-me-downs--yay!  If we have a girl, we'll have plenty of clothing already in the extended family to go around. 

We're in Seattle, now, at my parents' house.  We're about to go to high tea (goodness!) with some of my old high-school friends.  Ta ta!

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:18 PM

Hi all,

I've been putting off jumping onto this board bc I'm so newly pregnant (5wks 3days), but AmandaHope suggested I come on here to share and get opinions about the fact that I don't really feel pregnant! I have low energy but have trouble napping... My appetite has decreased A LOT but I'm not nauseous. It freaks me out! ....but everywhere I read it says it's normal to not feel pregnant this early. What were everyone's early experiences?

My first u/s is Jan 10...trying to stay zen and thrilled!

Also... We did ivf and are going to our fertility clinic for the first u/s. Any suggestions on when I should see an ob/gyn? Should I be calling now?

Thanks girls!!!

Partner (35) and I (32) have been together since 2004, TTC #1 since 9/09 - 7 failed IUIs with KD

12/17/10: First round IVF w/ WTBK donor results in pos.gif ; 2/13/11 M/C after emergency surgery angel.gif  

Try #9 FET 4/11 - Negative.  Try #10: IVF 6/11 - Negative.  Next up: Try #11 FET 8/11

Old 12-28-2010, 11:02 PM

I ate my placenta!

My doula dried it for me and I put into capsules myself. I took 4 capsules a day for months pp. I still have a ton left..apparently my placenta was huge.

I had visions of eating blood dripping raw meat "stuff" when I first heard about ingesting your placenta....I was intrigued when I realized that it can be dried and encapsulated. I did end up having mild post partum depression - maybe even just the "baby blues" - but I like to think that it could have been worse.

I would research it if I was you...ask your doula if she does it or knows of someone! There was no charge to dry it and as I said, I just bought some vegetarian capsules from a natural health store and did it myself.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
Old 12-29-2010, 06:01 AM

thanks for the tip, carmen! i am interested... but only if i can take it in capsule form. i just haven't been able to get over the thought of ingesting it in other forms. i was vegetarian for quite some years in the past and i have issues with ingesting meat in general, so i think that's the reason. it's not a problem with actually ingesting it but there is a issue with "eating" it. no offense meant to anyone... it's just me. wink1.gif

5G, i'm glad you made it over here! congrats again!! i don't know the protocol for your clinic, but my RE told me when i would "graduate" from their care. maybe it'll be this way for you... but depending how long it'll take to get into your particular OB, maybe you should schedule ahead. i saw my RE up through 10 weeks, that was standard for them. i then went to midwife care. i think i didn't see her until 16 weeks or so... there's no real reason for you to rush into care if nothing is going wrong, however you could have multiple beans in there, right? if that were the case, IDK... you may want to get into care sooner rather than later. as for Sx of PG... i didn't have many. i, too, was worried by that but i tried to be zen about it and was reassured only by my decreased appetite and lack of AF. i started to feel a bit nauseaus at about 6-7 weeks and it didn't last long. i never actually threw-up and the nausea would pass within 5-20 min and didn't happen every day even. i sometimes wondered if i was imagining the nausea altogether! don't worry to much, you are pregnant now!!! focus on that and soon this time will have passed and you will be happily in the second trimester and feeling the baby bump around!

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
Old 12-29-2010, 08:11 PM

Carmen~ Thanks for the info. Do you think the ingestion helped?  I could deal with it in capsule form, but yeah, I just have a vision of biting into a giant bloody mass and it kinda makes me barfy to think about.  I've read about the supposed benefits, but haven't read much about whether or not they actually happen.

5G~ Like I said, I never 'felt pregnant' until waaaaay later. Like you, I got to the point where I was hoping for morning sickness just to feel SOMETHING.  Finally my boobs started getting sore, and eventually my belly got hard and then started popping out, but really until I started to feel her kick around, it's like it wasn't really happening. Hang in there!!  The ultrasounds do help a LOT.  If you have leftover sticks, pee on them. It never gets old seeing that line pop up!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:42 PM

5G: At my fertility clinic, I had an u/s at 5 weeks and another at 7 weeks, and then they said goodbye and to let them know when I picked an OB/midwife so they could send along records.  They wanted first, to confirm a singleton pregnancy, and second, to confirm a heartbeat. 

Old 12-30-2010, 07:34 AM

Hi all,

Sorry I've been gone for a while - holidays and then a vacation in Rocky Mountain National Park. 

5G, I also went through IVF and they wanted to follow me more or less through the first trimester.  Since they are about 45 minutes away, I took a hybrid approach.  I went to my midwife at 6 weeks and she did all the ultrasounds (which they faxed to the IVF clinic).  I did my regular blood draws (for HCG, estradiol and progesterone at a local lab).  When my IVF nurse would get results we'd have phone consults.  So I actually never went back to the IVF clinic, though they followed me until two weeks ago.  I'm so happy for you!  I know how crazy the IVF process is.

AFM, I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST TRIMESTER!  Seriously, the Sunday before last I was having doubts.  I was throwing up so continuously and violently I couldn't even find time to get my anti-emetic pill in.  Hell, I tell you.  But since then, things have botten progressively better.  As long as I take my pill at night, I can sleep through the night, wake up and have a normal breakfast, eat some vegetables.  It's amazing. :).  I even went snowshing at 9,500 feet this week.  Wow. Though, to be fair, I was snowshoing with my 3 y/o, so the pace was pretty slow :).  Off to an appt with the midwife this morning.  It will be the first time, DC sees the babies on the ultrasound.  Very exciting!

Professional nerd, DP to Megan and mommy to 3 y/o Bam Bam . TTC since January '09.  Welcomed our new babes May 22, 2011. Now living life in the NICU one day at a time.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:59 AM

Hey everyone !

Hope you had a great Christmas/Solstice !

We had another ultrasound and NST this morning and we got great news !

Both babies are now head down (!!!) and the size discreptancy that was present at 28 weeks (30th percentile for Chalie and 75th for Chloe) has now dissapeared !

Today, at 33 weeks 3 days, Charlie (Baby A) is 4 pounds 7 oz (50th percentile) and Chloe (Baby B) is 4 pounds 3 oz (40th percentile).

Seems like a natural birth is now possible !

Cejae : Congrats on making it through the 1st trimester !! Have a happy ultrasound !

5G : Welcome and congrats ! Hope you have a great pregnancy and a healthy hapy baby !

AmandaHope : The belly will come... and then it will be too much there LOL. DP is so tired of feeling huge ! Congrats again :) I am so hapy for you !

Korey : Sounds like things are going uphill for you ! I have bad insomnia and always have... I hear ya about how painful that can be !! And not to mention depressing and anxiety-creating ! I am glad that you are now feeling better !

Library : Great about donated clothes ! Our girls re goimg to be SO well dressed from everything we have received ! Our moms also gave us presents for the girls... guess what... dolls of course ! Twho sets of twin girl dolls !

Wherli : Awesome belly :):):)

Now I am going to go care for my very pregnant gf... afterall, she has 9 pounds of baby in there already !

Coco

xxx

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

Old 12-30-2010, 08:16 AM

CJ, Congrats on making through the first trimester!!! Good job mama!

Coco, Yay for head down babies! i'm so glad everything is looking so good! do you have a pic to share of your partners baby belly?? smile.gif

afm, had an appt with the midwife on tuesday... everythings going fine except my BP is consistanly on the high end of normal and she seems (somewhat) concerned. i have a BP monitor and when i monitor at home it's fine. but tuesday was a stressful day at work plus i get anxiety about "failing" the BP reading and i think that is counter-productive. the baby is transverse-ish as of now (or tuesday night) but i think i feel hir moving and flipping around quite a bit so... i'm hopeful that head down won't be that difficult to achieve. i need to do some pelvic tilts and sit on my birthing ball some more, though. DPs mom took a cute pic of the both of us on xmas in front of the tree... i'll share, hoping to see some more pics of you all. wink1.gif

Old 12-30-2010, 09:07 AM

Hi all,

First of all, welcome to Kacey Elaine and Josie Anne!!!

I'm impossibly behind on personals, so I'm going to vow to catch up sometime soon and selfishly ask for some advice:

I just learned that I failed my one hour glucose test (I got a 139, the cutoff is 135).  So now I'm scheduled to take the three hour test in a week or so (after I get back from a quick trip to CA-- my last planned flight before the baby comes!). Of course, if I really do have gestational diabetes, I want to find out and treat it through diet and exercise. But I really feel fine, without diabetic symptoms, and if I can avoid a false positive that makes me "higher risk," I would like to do so!  So, does anyone have ideas about how to optimize my chances of a good result? My midwife recommends a 3 day high carb diet before the fasting test, and word on the street is that some light exercise like marching in place just before a draw can help as well. But I'd love any insight and ideas!

Not much else to report. Even though I've been MIA, I'm thinking of you all!  I'm on a break between semesters, trying to get some serious nesting done before things get hectic again!

Much love,

Beastie

Joyful, busy, often overwhelmed queer academic mama to an awesome toddler and:

****5****10****15****20****25**heartbeat.gif*30****35****40

Old 12-30-2010, 12:10 PM

I dont have recent "showable" pic of DP's belly... but here are the twin's heads !!

167894_491143789032_521264032_5956838_7345910_n.jpg

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

Old 12-30-2010, 12:22 PM

Coco99, Best New Years Card Ever!

Professional nerd, DP to Megan and mommy to 3 y/o Bam Bam . TTC since January '09.  Welcomed our new babes May 22, 2011. Now living life in the NICU one day at a time.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:32 PM

Old 12-30-2010, 05:09 PM

Beastie~ Ugh.  I'm going for my test next time I have a checkup. I'm also wondering what I can do to make sure I don't end up in that category. Really don't want diabetes, if at all avoidable.  Looking forward to hearing people's advice. 

Old 12-30-2010, 05:19 PM

Ooop~ Missed a few FAB posts!!  Coco, I love the New Year's card!!  I can't wait to see 'real' photos of your little girls, I feel like I know them so well already.

BeeCharmer~ That's quite a bump!  As soon as we get our camera sorted out, I'll post a pic of me in front of the tree, though mine's not as good as yours at all. 

Old 01-03-2011, 02:13 PM

Happy New Year everyone!!!  I'm so behind on personals...so, I'm sorry for who I miss.

Wehrli - Great pics of you, you and DP and the baby!

Korey - Congrats on being so close to the end, and feeling super pregnant but the best you have felt in a long time.

LibraryLady - I hear you!  My wee one has been transverse for the entire gestational period thus far.  Only once has she kicked above the belly button.  Mostly she likes to hang out really, really, really low.

fivegrandbaby - Welcome!  And, congrats!!!

cejae - Welcome to the second trimester.  That much be such a relief to you.  I'm glad you're feeling better.  And, snowshoeing!!!  We don't have enough snow here yet (which is VERY unusual) but I wasn't sure that I could hack it with some of the SPD I've been experiencing.

coco99 - I love the card and the news that Chloe and Charlie have caught up in size. 

beastie - I'm sorry that I can't help.  I skipped the test.

abeecharmer - Excellent photo.  And, I hope the home stretch of best rest goes well and passes quickly.

On PPD, this is something I've also been really concerned about and am going to start to make a plan over the next few months.  I've done some initial reading on placental encapsulation, but like you Wehrli, I'm just a little bit weirded out/squeamish about eating it.  I definitely cannot make a smoothie or cook it up, but I think I might be interested in encapsulation.  Anyone have any good resources on the benefits?  I, um, really like to research.

AFU, We just returned from a week long holiday in Mexico (DW, myself, our 2 kidlets, my MIL, FIL, SIL and BIL) which was pretty darn good.  The weather was cool and shady for the first four days, and then DW and BIL were both knocked out for 3 days with montezuma's revenge.  That was the not-so-nice part of our trip.  I did, however, love getting up to be served a cappuccino with an omelet made just for me each morning.  Sitting by the pool or ocean and ripping through my reading pile - for fun, I read the first two books of the Hunger Games series (which I HIGHLY recommend), and of necessity, I finished the Birth Partner and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth (both of which I highly recommend).  When I first got pregnant, I felt strong and confident in my body's ability to give birth.  But over the past few months, fear has been creeping in over various issues. The silly, where I will count "pooping while pushing."  The more serious, "my mother broke her tailbone in labour and I just can't handle being more physically out of commission than I already am."  Reading more about the labour process and knowing the work we have coming up with our doula and birth class have left me feeling much more relaxed that I can handle birthing our baby girl.

I'll end off with a belly shot taken in Mexico.  It turns out there's not a single picture of just me and the belly.  Someone is touching it in all the photos!!!  Here the hand belongs to my MIL.

26w4d.jpg

I was so looking forward to going to Mexico and parading around in a bikini with my pregnant belly.  For the first time in my life, I'd have a hard belly.  It turns out that while I look pregnant in clothing, I don't look so pregnant in a bikini.  Oh well, it was fun anyway!

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:59 PM

gumshoe! that's one darn cute baby bump in a bikini!!! and while it may not be blaringly obvious to all, i still think it's one beautiful belly! sounds like you had a wonderful vacation!

ps. our little one has been hanging out transverse most of the time now... such a weird (but incredible) feeling to be able to tell/feel where the babe is, isn't it?! orngbiggrin.gif

Old 01-03-2011, 08:09 PM

Gumshoe~ What a belly!  That's hilarious that you didn't get one single photo to yourself, but I'm not surprised.  I got touched a lot over the holiday too, mostly my sister in law poking me in the belly and saying 'Really? That doesn't hurt?" It was cracking me up.   And yes, The Hunger Games is really excellent!  A much better book for young women than Twilight.   Your vacation sounds amazing! I'm off to San Diego on Thursday. Hope someone brings me an omelette!!

It really is funny feeling the different places the kiddo kicks. She was kicking me in the exact backside of my navel the other day. I'd never thought about the other side of my bellybutton, but I guess it exists too. We have another ultrasound in the morning and I can't wait to see what she's doing.  I just hope they don't suddenly decide/realize she's actually a boy. We've already got ten tons of clothes!!

Old 01-04-2011, 05:55 AM

Library, why the u/s? I hope everything is ok... Enjoy seeing your sweet li'l babe! post pics please!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:57 AM

Wehrli~ I think our midwife/hospital just likes to do u/s.  There haven't been any problems detected so far, and they didn't find any today, but they asked us to come in six weeks for another one. Um, okay! Any excuse to take a look at her. She was very cooperative today. HEAD DOWN, which is very  nice!  They got a great pic of her fat little face, chubby cheeks and all, and a great one of her monkey-toed foot. When I get home to the scanner I'll post them on the board, and the belly pic I took in front of our Christmas tree.   While we were watching we also got to see her yawn, move her mouth and tongue (the tech said she was drinking...mmm, amniotic pee!) and her li'l chest was moving in what they called 'practice breathing'.  She's been a busy gal last night and this morning, kicking up a storm!  I wasn't sure how she was positioned, but after seeing her today, head down, body folded so that her feet were near her head, I can really visualize the kicks I've been getting. SO cool!  I know some people are very anti-u/s, but I like seeing her and knowing she's okay. The tech spent a lot of time looking at her heart, and then when the doc came in, he said he wanted to look at her too, and spent a long time looking at her heart, so DP and I were in a bit of a panic, but then the doc said everything was fine, it's just that he wanted to  look at the heart for himself.  I believe that if there were trouble he'd have told us, and he said all was well, so I guess all's well.   She's big, though. 2 lbs 1 oz already, and I'm only week 25. Whew! My grandpa weighed 15 pounds when he was born, so I just keep picturing that. Yikes!!   But yes, I'll put up some pix tonight.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

I am so far behind with personals and wanted to get caught up but I am hope with the most evil stomach bug! 8 months pregnant + a stomach bug is not something I would wish o n my worst enemy! Wanted to pop in though and say that I am thinking of all of you and have been reading along. Hope that you all had a great New Year! 

J & A together for 6 years love.gif married since 11/09 & so in love with our DD, Reed Kylie born 2/5/11! stillheart.gif
Old 01-04-2011, 03:06 PM

LibraryLady - I'm so glad that your u/s went well today and that your girl is still a girl.  I also share that fear - that the baby will come out as a boy and have to live with flower curtains!  I'm totally loving Mockingjay so far and I may have stayed up a little too late last night reading.  I recall earlier, somewhere, that you posted a great list of queer fiction (I think it was all lesbian YA...which as a side note I'm totally into and have read every novel published up until around 2003 as that's what my MA thesis was on...but sadly, I've not been keeping up with all the new publications) that I'd love to cull some new reading material from your recommendations.

Burg - Oh my!  Puking is never fun, but I cannot fathom it with these gigantic bellies of ours.  I already have to brace myself for sneezes...not that I've peed my pants (yet!), but it just tears through my abs in a really painful way.

Wehrli and LibraryLady - Like you Wehrli, I've been thinking the baby was transverse.  However, I never thought she'd be doubled over in there like your wee one LibraryLady.  That's definitely food for thought that she could be head down and super flexible!

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:19 PM

Library: Glad you little one is doing (and growing!) well in there. How fascinating to see her drinking and practice breathing!  Wow.  And your grandpa was 15 lbs at birth?!  Holy cow!  Over break, I showed my best friend the video of our donor, who is 6 foot 3.  She was teasing me about how huge the baby might be.  It is true that on her due date, my DD was 10 lbs, but she was born 5 weeks early at 6 lb 2oz, so she (or my body, or whatever) spared me a tough birth. 

Gumshoe:  Beautiful belly! 

Burg: You have NOT had it easy, girl!  Hope you feel much better soon.  How is your back? 

Wehrli: It is still early, so I'm sure your little one is enjoying being transverse for a while until it is time to get into position. ;-)  I can't WAIT to feel those kicks and movements! 

AFM: Had a lovely acupuncture/chiro/massage appt today (I'm doing it monthly--really nice).  The doc's wife is pregnant with her third baby, so we have lots to talk about.  Other than feeling tired (in part from jet lag), I'm feeling great.  I still can't believe that I've had no m/s at 10 weeks (but trying not to jinx myself here!).  I have my first real appt with the midwifery practice that we've chosen on Monday.  I think I like the other (far away) practice better, but this practice is so much more convenient that I"m going to start with them and switch later if I feel the need.  They have a birth tub, and the main midwife has a fantastic reputation.  We're also meeting with a doula on Saturday--so exciting! 

Old 01-04-2011, 04:59 PM

Burg~ How miserable!!!  I'm sorry you've been so ill, I can't even imagine how sore your abs must be from holding up that kiddo and also heaving away.  Hope you're feeling better soon. 

Gumshoe~ I do have a list of queer YA fiction, it's one of my favorite sub-genres. I'll take a look at what we got on the list this year and see what was good. I do remember off the top of my head there was one book called Love Drugged (I'm not remembering authors right now, but I'm sure Amazon can at least show you what you need to know) about a boy who doesn't want to be gay and starts dating a girl whose dad has a pharmaceutical lab and makes a drug to repress the queer feelings. Very interesting and thoughtful! And one called Will Grayson Will Grayson by two authors, one of whom is David Levithan, which is about two guys, one queer one straight, named Will Grayson who meet one night and hijinx ensue. Very funny.  A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend is a good book about a lesbian teen whose best friend dies and she helps put on a play the girl wrote.  Scars is about a lesbian teen who self-harms to repress unpleasant memories. That one's a bit over the top, but might still be worth a look. Almost Perfect is about a guy who falls for a girl and then finds out she's transgendered (MtoF).  I liked that one a lot, even though it was kinda hetero.  Hmmm, I'll think of some more, but those were the best off the top of my head. There's also a recent 40th anniversary reissue of a book called I'll Get There, It Better Be Worth The Trip which was the first queer YA, published in 1969.  It goes for a sardonic, Catcher In The Rye kinda tone and pretty much succeeds. I liked it a lot too.    I'll come up with some more titles eventually. Hope this gets you started!

AHope~ Yay for promising midwife meetings!!  There's a tub in the room of our hospital birth suite and I'm very excited to give it a try. The water births I've seen have seemed to be really almost low-key, which can't be a bad thing. Yay for no sickness too~ woohoo!!

Last night DP and I watched the documentary The Business of Being Born~ have you guys seen it? It was about midwives and home birth vs the hospital machine and the induction/c-section roller coaster. Really good, full of thoughtful stuff and lots of lovely women having lovely babies. I cried more than once. 

Old 01-04-2011, 05:22 PM

Hi Everyone!

Wow! This board is hopping again! I'm going to have to come back later in the week for personals. For now, I wanted to post those tips on avoiding PPD since many of you have expressed interest.

I'll be giving birth in a fantastic birth center that's an hour away, but well worth the drive. We've been to several classes at the birth center (absolutely free if you'll be birthing there!) on everything from breastfeeding to newborn care. In the newborn class, the nurse discussed PPD and offered tips for avoiding it. She said it's all about sleep! She stressed that the birth mom should do NOTHING but nurse (if you're nursing) and sleep for the first 4 weeks. She was really adamant about this. No cooking, no cleaning, no shopping - nothing! Don't even change the baby if there's someone else there who can do it! If you need to get out of the house, take a walk around the neighborhood, but don't run errands. Get as much sleep and as much rest as you possibly can in that first month.

We researched placenta encapsulation, as well, and we found that there are actually a number of local doulas who provide the service for about $250. We asked one of the midwives in our practice about it, and while she was reluctant to give us a yes or a no, she did say that it would probably be a good "blood builder" because of the iron, but she was also concerned that the hormones can interfere with breastfeeding. (I know advocates of encapsulation claim the opposite.) But her concern was that your hormones naturally drop after birth and that taking too many capsules can increase hormone levels too much and interfere with milk production. She also added that in the case of true PPD, SSRI antidepressants are very well filtered through the breast milk and that there are ample studies suggesting that it's perfectly safe. I know many of us are reluctant to take meds unnecessarily, but the lactation consultant who taught the breastfeeding class we attended agreed, saying that it's way better for the baby to nurse from a mom on antidepressants that to have a mom who is depressed.

And the midwife offered one more piece of advice. She said that getting a full sleep cycle of 4 or 5 hours (something I haven't managed to do for almost this entire pregnancy) will really help keep depression away. And it doesn't matter if you get it in the day or the night! So the plan for us will be that I nurse, then go to sleep, and DP will bring the baby to me when she needs to nurse 2-3 hours later, and I won't even get out of bed! When she's done nursing, DP will take her away and continue being with her while I sleep for another couple of hours. Hopefully we can make this work and I can at least get a solid 4 - 5 hours of sleep/rest each day.

I hope these tips are helpful for all of you! And I'd love to hear any other tips that you may have picked up, as well. With a February (or January?) baby on the way and a touch of Seasonal Affective Disorder to begin with, I'm very focused on preventing PPD!

Oh, and just one piece of news on my end. I had an internal at my 36 week exam yesterday, and I'm 50% effaced and the baby is at the -2 pelvic station! I know that doesn't mean anything one way or another in terms of birth timing, but it's good to know that things are moving and my body is getting ready. :)

Hope all is well with everyone and I'll come back soon for personals!

stork-girl.gif She's here! She's here! She's here!
Baby Girl T - January 30, 2011
6lbs, 9oz   19inches

User Tag List