need a good gender-neutral name - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 12-16-2010, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, my partner and I are having another boy. We knew the name of our first-born before he was conceived but we're a little stumped on this one. Our stipulations are that it's gender neutral (though our first son's name is often perceived as slightly feminine,) and uncommon/unique but not so unique that we have to spell, over-annunciate, or explain it for the rest of his life.

Any ideas? We like Devon but feel it's too common. I love Hazel but DP thinks it's too feminine (even though the name voyager shows a good number of boys in the early part of the last century who were named Hazel). 

mom to DS born 5/29/09, DS #2 born 5/2/2011, partner to a PhD (finally!), pleased to be co-sleepin', lovin' our 3 cats and 4 dogs and raisin' our LOs vegetarian.
#2 of 59 Old 12-16-2010, 07:20 PM

Our neighbors just named their daughter Carlin, which sounds very gender neutral to me. In fact, I just found it listed in both halves of the baby name book.

Mama to Alex, born 8/11. Just changed my username...
#3 of 59 Old 12-16-2010, 07:27 PM

what about Quinn? or Keir? I think Jesse is gn also & love it.

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#4 of 59 Old 12-16-2010, 07:30 PM

I like Linden and Avery.

#5 of 59 Old 12-16-2010, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas! Carlin is one I have not come across. Keir is new to me too. Quinn is becoming more popular. I know several born this year in my own network. And my partner loves Jesse but alas, we associate it with a former acquaintance whom we don't want to associate with our kids.

Keep 'em coming!

mom to DS born 5/29/09, DS #2 born 5/2/2011, partner to a PhD (finally!), pleased to be co-sleepin', lovin' our 3 cats and 4 dogs and raisin' our LOs vegetarian.
#6 of 59 Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Carson

Robin

Sage

Kendall

Riley

#7 of 59 Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Finlay

Shiloh

Kerry

Jordan

Erin/Aaron

Rowan

Ronan

Harper

Soleil

River

Skye/Skylar

Terrin

Seren (Welsh for 'star' ... love this one)

Qouia/Seqouia

Cedar

Tennyson

Billy/Billie

Blue

Mischa

Sascha

Luka

Those are off the top of my head ... no more time to think as dinner's ready to come out of the oven.  Can you tell this is a topic close to my heart?

Congrats on your baby!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#8 of 59 Old 12-16-2010, 07:42 PM

Jorden

Lesley

Gabriel

Christian

Cameron

Riley (that's pretty popular around here though)

Kendall

Peyton (another popular one, course I live in Colts country so...)

Dakota

#9 of 59 Old 12-16-2010, 07:48 PM

Beckett

#10 of 59 Old 12-16-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Wow. Thanks, everyone! Lots to think about. :)

#11 of 59 Old 12-17-2010, 03:12 AM

Holden

Avery

Park

Cael

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#12 of 59 Old 12-17-2010, 02:16 PM

We have 3 girls (or will soon) and they all have gender neutral names:

Riley, Teagan and Shae. They have feminine MNs so people know they are all girls.

I think you got lots of good suggestions! GL!

Sarah

Sarah & Liz = Our 3 princesses: Riley (4/22/05), Teagan (4/15/08) and Finley (4/1/11)!!
#13 of 59 Old 12-19-2010, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Foster

Mason

Hunter

Skyler/ar

Ronin

Rowan

Shane

Parker

Dell

I haven't thought about names in a long time.  Also the name you pick while pg may not be the name the kid ends up getting.  We had names for all our kids pre-birth and ended up not using them!  (Although with the twins we gave baby b's name to baby a and baby b was nameless for more than a month!)

My kids are Logan, Avery, Meryl and Finley.  All sound gender neutral but Meryl has the girls spelling.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#14 of 59 Old 12-19-2010, 03:27 PM

We also strive for gender neutral names! We thought Vida was pretty gender-neutral though, but everyone assumes Vida is female!

Anyway, some of the other names on our list that I can remember off-hand are Kale, River, Roux, Phoenix, Piper, London, Shiva, Parker, Briar and Dené.

placenta.gifeat.gif I'm a queer / trans-activist / poly / pagan / (dis)abled  / crazy / crunchy partner to fsonj; we're mamas to our unschooled/freeskooled 10yo, and co-breastfeed our sprightly toddler love.gif born Nov '10! (Ask me about how to supplement at the breast!)

#15 of 59 Old 12-19-2010, 03:40 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Morgan

Taylor

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#16 of 59 Old 12-19-2010, 03:56 PM

Can you tell us your older child's name to get an idea of your taste?

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#17 of 59 Old 12-19-2010, 04:10 PM

Adrian
Andrea
Arden
Ashley
Bailey
Blaire
Kelsey
Lane
Noel
René
Rory
#18 of 59 Old 12-19-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erthe_mama View Post

We also strive for gender neutral names! We thought Vida was pretty gender-neutral though, but everyone assumes Vida is female!

Anyway, some of the other names on our list that I can remember off-hand are Kale, River, Roux, Phoenix, Piper, London, Shiva, Parker, Briar and Dené.

I seem to remember from my spanish class in high school (yeah, 15+ years ago) that many words in the spanish language have a gender association.  And that association is demonstrated by the ending of the word- A is feminine and O is masculine.  So, chica, gata, tia are all female, chico, gato, tio are all male.  This applies to names too-Angelo or Roberto are male, Angela and Roberta are female.  I think people sometimes tend to make the same assocation with American names too, that names that end in A tend to be considered  female names. 

Disclaimer-as I said, I took Spanish 15 years ago.  I am by no means fluent in Spanish and may not be remembering clearly.  So feel free to correct me if I am wrong!:D

#19 of 59 Old 12-23-2010, 08:06 PM

That's a good point, actually. lol

placenta.gifeat.gif I'm a queer / trans-activist / poly / pagan / (dis)abled  / crazy / crunchy partner to fsonj; we're mamas to our unschooled/freeskooled 10yo, and co-breastfeed our sprightly toddler love.gif born Nov '10! (Ask me about how to supplement at the breast!)

#20 of 59 Old 12-27-2010, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone. Our first son's name is Avie. We found it when we happened upon a plaque at Dollywood talking about Dolly's mother, Avie Lee. We both loved it instantly. With this little guy, nothing we've found so far has wowed us. I like a lot of the names above but still feel many of them are becoming so common. Plus, being queer and having a partner who is gender-queer and works with a lot of transfolks, we know a lot of people who've chosen GN names--good ones too!--but we don't want to name him after any of these people. 

As for whether or not names ending in -a are can be viewed as masculine: Joshua, Ira, Dakota, Ezra, Luka, and Mica are all ones that are rarely questioned.

We have a very large, old cemetery down the street from us. When it gets a bit warmer, we plan on taking a walk to see if we what we can find there. That may seem morbid but I think cemeteries are sacred places honoring the cycle of life and those who cycled through before us. 

Anyway, thanks again for all your responses!  

#21 of 59 Old 12-27-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantafemme View Post

Thanks, everyone. Our first son's name is Avie.

[...]

As for whether or not names ending in -a are can be viewed as masculine: Joshua, Ira, Dakota, Ezra, Luka, and Mica are all ones that are rarely questioned.

Avie is a beautiful name! I'm trying to talk my DP into Avi or Ari.

I know a woman named Myka, pronounced exactly like Micah. I like that too.

#22 of 59 Old 12-27-2010, 04:52 PM

See, because of associations with specific people, I tend to think of Ira, Dakota and Luka as female. 

Which I guess means that just about any name can be associated with a particular gender and will probably be questioned.  And that there really aren't any hard and fast rules about any names at all. 

#23 of 59 Old 12-27-2010, 05:08 PM

Hollis

and I would view Shiva is not terribly gender neutral, considering he is a major god in the world's third largest religion.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#24 of 59 Old 12-27-2010, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

If you look at the Name Voyager, it's amazing to see how many names are now viewed as exclusively feminine that were once used for lots of boys like: Mary, Pearl, Allison, Grace, etc. :)

#25 of 59 Old 01-02-2011, 10:34 AM

I have done the whole walk around the graveyard thing too. Found some names I had never considered :-) 

Anyways, here are my suggestions

Jensen

Royce

Zaid

Tripp

Geovanni

Jagger

Blade

Kyson

Jan

Kayan

Abdiel

Fletcher

Kolton

Good luck!

#26 of 59 Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post

Hollis

and I would view Shiva is not terribly gender neutral, considering he is a major god in the world's third largest religion.

Uhhh... tell that to the Hindu womyn I known who named her grrl "Shiva"! winky.gif

#27 of 59 Old 01-04-2011, 12:47 PM

When choosing names our stipulation was that it be gender neutral... or at the very least short-form-able to a gender neutral name. Would you consider that? Anyway, here are some of the ones that were on our longer list:

Cameron

Kamden

Conroy

Porter

Kennedy

Spencer

Briston

Cadence

Ramsey

I actually noticed that a lot of street names made nice gender neutral names so I started taking pictures of street signs. We then made an album and finally a decision.

#28 of 59 Old 01-04-2011, 12:52 PM

I forgot to add Ellison. I really liked that name because it sounded nice and gender neutral in full form but could be shortened to Eli or Ellie if s/he grew-up to want a more gender specific name.

#29 of 59 Old 01-18-2011, 06:53 AM

I love the name Orli. It means 'my light' in hebrew

#30 of 59 Old 01-18-2011, 10:00 AM

s&d actually listed most of my favourite gender-neutral names. Gender-neutral names that are faves for me are:

Sage

Harper

Reese

Rowan

Derry

Cameron

Ezri

Shea

Tai

Alex

Ellison

Jayden

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page