January Queer Conceptions - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 594 Old 01-24-2011, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by escher12 View Post

AFM: I have an advice question. I have a trip scheduled that I'm not willing to cancel during what will be the TWW of this next cycle. I know that some people (especially Dr. Wu) think that you should avoid airplane travel during the TWW. Would you take the cycle off because of a scheduled trip? It would give me more time to integrate the diet changes and to restart acupuncture, but I get antsy when taking a cycle off. Thoughts? Thank you!

I didn't manage to follow this part of Dr. Wu's advice.  I flew during the tww and again later in the first tri.  Personally, I wouldn't skip a cycle bc of this.  Also, I think two IUIs is a good idea.  I'm also a big believer (just due to personal experience) in a trigger shot, which not only helps with timing, but also makes sure that follies mature fully.  You've mentioned considering a trigger--but you want to try a few more cycles first?

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 of 594 Old 01-24-2011, 12:18 PM

sorry I don't have time for personals but I wanted to do a shout out to those trying to figure out if they're ovulating...

Remember, Brill's book says if three signs line up. I say this because I see so many of us depending on OPKs or the BBT chart to figure out ovulating when your body very well may be giving you other signs. And since the whole TTC process is based on the effect of your timing, I think this is critical to feel confident about. If you can't get the standard three signs like cervix position, CM and an OPK kit then try to use other indicators or guidance (i.e. BBT). If you're using technology, getting your ultrasound before you ovulate and possibly doing and HCG trigger shot will also help to pinpoint it (although one of the negatives to doing a trigger is you could cause an egg to release that isn't as mature).

Brill's book also notes doing a rotisserie chicken like move after insemming. 15 minutes on each side and 15 minutes on your back and 15 minutes on your front, to coat the cervix. I elevate by putting my legs in the air but they have yet to find any scientific proof that any of that works. Again, we'll also have those stories of women that do all the wrong things and still get pregnant!

Krista

me (40) DP (47) TTC since April 2010, 5 IUIs & 6 at home w/ fresh
Short luteal phase, septum resection in Sept 2011
Jan 2011 a BFP! Try #11 angel.gif 8w2d (blighted ovum)
April 2011 BFP! Try #12 angel.gif 9w2d (no heartbeat)

Nov 2011 BFP! Try #14 angel.gif 8w0d (twins, no heartbeat)

June 2012 -- Moving onto IVF with PGD

#423 of 594 Old 01-24-2011, 12:33 PM

Library - Glad to hear your glucose test went okay. "Advanced maternal age" my a$$.

escher - I'm so sorry this cycle didn't work out for you, but your positive attitude is fantastic. You know in your heart it will happen for you someday soon, and I believe that too. After all this turmoil and struggle, I'm certain you're going to have the most amazing kid. As for your TMIQOTD, I avoid having orgasms from about 5dpo until AF comes. That doesn't mean we don't do other stuff. shy.gif I also stay away from my bicycle and the riding mower. The rest of the time I try to have 3-4 orgasms a week like Brill suggests.

seraf - You are not the only one who saves the empty vials. I've got five of them in my nightstand drawer. orngbiggrin.gif

NAMN - Welcome and good luck! shamrocksmile.gif

gelly - I hope you get the answers you are looking for from the insurance company. thumb.gif

mami - When we first started TTC, we weren't sure if we'd be doing home inseminations or going to the RE, so we also bought a light that straps to DP's head. We haven't used it for TTC, but it comes in handy in other ways! lol.gif How did your inseminations go?

Max - I've got my fingers crossed for you and DP! fingersx.gif Make sure he continues to tell you silly jokes for at least the next week. I'm sure it doesn't only apply to IVF.

Isa - Those quilts are amazing! You are very talented. I'm sure those gifts will be much appreciated.

AFM, I guess 3DPO is too early to test, right? eyesroll.gif According to my chart, it looks like we had good timing. Now we just wait. And wait. Ugh. I'm eating tons of fresh pineapple, but maybe I will try some green tea as well. I'll do anything to feel like I have some kind of control over what happens during this TWW.

Amanda (32)ribbonrainbow.gif Sue (37)
*****In Love since 2006*****
TTC #1 since March 2010 
#424 of 594 Old 01-24-2011, 01:23 PM

Hello!  I'm a regular over at BBC but I've been finding a lot of good info here. Just wanted to pop in and say hello - In 2ww, ICI #3. 

#425 of 594 Old 01-24-2011, 02:02 PM

SharriKit - Welcome.gif and good luck! This thread is full of knowledgeable and supportive people. I hope your stay with us is short and sweet!

Amanda (32)ribbonrainbow.gif Sue (37)
*****In Love since 2006*****
TTC #1 since March 2010 
#426 of 594 Old 01-24-2011, 02:37 PM

PrettyIsa:  Here is my "introduction!"

My name is Nicole.  My partner is shy about having her name posted, so...  I'll call her E for now.  shy.gif  We have a bit of an age difference.  I am 26; she is 43.  We've been together for about six years, but we just got married this past summer.

As far as TTC, this is our first month actually trying, although I have been tracking my cycles for the past four months.  We are planning on doing an at-home insemination probably late this week!  Our favorite donor by far only had one vial of ICI sperm available, so we will be doing one ICI insemination and one insemination of IUI sperm intravaginally.  At this point, I am mostly confused about the timing of the insems (i.e., how long after a positive OPK, how far apart to space the two, etc.).  It doesn't help that I was sick around the time of ovulation last month, so my temperatures were cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.  upsidedown.gif

I honestly don't know how many cycles we will try at home before doing an IUI with our midwife.  We had initally planned on three; however, my perfectionist streak (which isn't very helpful in this rather vague field of trying to get pregnant) combined with how expensive each cycle is, is already making me crazy-anxious.  nut.gif  So, one day at a time for now, I suppose...  whistling.gif

I've really enjoyed reading this forum so far!  Best of luck to everyone here.

Nicole

#427 of 594 Old 01-24-2011, 05:08 PM

Hello and welcome to Namw and Sharrikit! Namw--I always go upside down (or at least have my hips elevated) for 30 minutes after insemming. I am not sure if it really does any good, but I do it anyway! Sharri--does BBC have a good queer section? I haven't ever looked over there... How many DPO are you??

AmandaMom--We are at the same point in our cycle! (Well, this is according to FF...I am not sure if I completely believe her on when I ovulated...) I thought about doing the fresh pineapple thing...but my decision was made for me when I realized that there is not a single fresh pineapple on the island (at least at the store...).. Ah well...hope it works for you!

Krista--I believe Brill on the "three points lining up" but this time, in my case, I had two line up here...then two line up there...all within a couple of days. I think some months are just trickier to figure out. Last cycle I tried, I knew exactly when I ovulated...this time around, not so much. Ugg...frustrating when you think you have it figured out and nothing goes quite right...or when you track a perfect cycle when you don't plan to insem! smile.gif

Max--How are you feeling today??

Mami--Updates? fingersx.gif

Soo....3 DPO! I don't know if I can stand it! smile.gif I have quite a bit of work stress right now (Any teachers out there? If so, anyone ever attempted NBPTS? Ugg..irked.gif) but am trying to stay as relaxed as possible and take it day by day... I read something somewhere from a "doctor" (online of course!) that said to drink a glass of red wine every night after insemming until implantation. I did last time...but decided not to this time (part of questioning everything I did wrong to cause the m/c...although I know I shouldn't do that! ) Anyone else heard of this? Wine is easy to get on the island...apparently it holds a higher importance than fresh pineapple. smile.gif Ha.

TMIQOTD--I avoid. I O after each insem...but than avoid...just to be safe.

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

#428 of 594 Old 01-24-2011, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
NAMW—this time the doc said to hug my knees to my chest after the IUI, and told DP to kind of lean me over from side to side with my knees up. It was a little funny, but kind of a nice stretch for my back, so I don’t see the harm in it. I love your wedding pic, btw. You two look so cute and happy!

Seraf—I think it’s kind of cool, but my dad is a biologist, so I sort of grew up with this kind of thing: http://www.dna11.com/gallery_portraits.asp

Library—I love the new Aspidistra icon! She’ll still provide a nice tax deduction, of course, but the new look is much cuter!

Escher—I wouldn’t cancel. I don’t know if the air travel would hurt things, but I do think that being on a trip will take your mind off the worrying/waiting part of the TWW, and that can’t help but be a good thing.

Indigo—Happy birthday to your baby! First birthday parties are always so fun—and I think hiring a pro sounds like a great present for you! Glad no one was hurt in the dresser incident!

Krista—have you done the insems yet? I thought it would be over the weekend—how did they go?

AMom—I think you should start testing now. Why not, right? I can live vicariously through you, since DP still says this will be a testless cycle.

Hi Sharrikit! Would you like me to add you to the list? I hope you’ll stay and join us—we have a lot of fun!

Lisedea—what kind of an island is it if there’s no pineapple? I thought that was REQUIRED to be an island, anywhere in the world. Not sure about the wine—I usually sneak a glass or two early on in the wait (operating on the straight-girls-wouldn’t-even-know theory). If you have some handy and think it might help I’d say go for it.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#429 of 594 Old 01-24-2011, 09:08 PM

sharii good luck

NAMW I jumped right to midwife insems it not that much compared to another cycle and it just seemed easier

AFM I'm ordering spremies for Wednesday and hoping I don't O Tuesday lol ! Wednesday or even Thursday or Friday looks for likely so here we go !!

#430 of 594 Old 01-24-2011, 11:06 PM

wow...there are so many folks in the tww!  i'm sending extra fertility vibes into the ether for you all, since i won't be needing them this month.

lisedea:  do you feel like you've ovulated yet?  do you normally feel yourself ovulate.  some combination of stress and the full moon completely derailed my cycle this month...i hope your timing was unexpectedly awesome.

mami:  how did your insem go?  

max:  so amazing you are trying an iui this month!  i often ask my dp to tell me stories while i'm curled up in the re's office after an insemination...but if we ever go back i will definitely have her tell me jokes from now on.  did your dp have any good ones?

escher:  i'm catching up on the past few days here--i'm sorry for your bfn.  about the brill recommendation of 3-4 orgasms per week--i'd personally hesitate about forcing a certain number o's, because i don't want dtd to be a chore.  i read that type of recommendation as a reminder about the importance of having a satisfying sex life in a more holistic way--and if i felt like i needed to o more often for babymaking purposes, i think it would be solo stimulation.  should i have prefaced that with a big TMI?

library:  no more tang for you...happy to hear your sugars are under control.  iron supplements can have a huge impact on energy and mood.  my dp's iron levels were virtually nonexistent a few years back, and she was a beast!  

seraf:  i love your motto.  

isa:  beautiful quilts.  testing yet?

amandamom:  do you do anything else besides pineapple and green tea during the tww?  

starling:  how are you feeling?  your refrigerator collage is a lovely reminder of tangible beauty and incredible possibility.  i'm sending radical hope your way.

gracie:  here's to a happy, lucky insemination week.

ahh, i just can't catch up completely.  helllooooo wave.gif

afm:  my week has been insanely busy--i'm up at 5am and out of the house soon after, until 9:30pm--when i stumble back home and crash.  dp has the flu, and between stress and an intense and cloud-free full moon two days before my expected ovulation--my cycle has gone out of control.  ewcm has shown itself and left three different times, my ferning started and stopped and began again.  my lh fluctuated in a way it never has before, and i ended up having to drive my vials up to portland last night to store them locally for next month.  i missed angela davis since dp is so sick, and i am now off to bed for a few hours of sleep.  

to everyone that charts cervical position/texture--how is "position" determined?  can you tell visually, or is it more by feel?  where is high?  low?  is there a drastic difference between high and low?  

#431 of 594 Old 01-25-2011, 03:43 AM

DW  miscarried yesterday, so we're out (she was at 6 weeks).  Just wanted to let you all know.

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#432 of 594 Old 01-25-2011, 05:51 AM

Oh, Wishin'&Hopin'. I'm so sorry. hug.gif What a total disappointment. Miscarriages are so hard. I hope you are both able to take good care of yourselves during this sad time. candle.gif

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#433 of 594 Old 01-25-2011, 06:54 AM

Ugg...I am so sorry Wishin'. I know how horrible the range of emotions can be (so excited one day...and so sad the next). Thinking about you!!hug2.gif

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

#434 of 594 Old 01-25-2011, 07:21 AM

Wishin'~ I'm so very very sorry for you both. I  can't imagine how awful you must be feeling right now, but we're here for you if you need us. Biggest hugs to you both xoxoxoxoxoxox

Sharri~ Welcome! I love your photo. Only around here do we give big thumbs up to things that have been peed on.  Hope your journey is brief and successful, but that you stay around to chat with us ('cause we're pretty awesome).

NAMW~  Thanks for sharing your story. There's also an age gap with me and my DP (though I'm the Elderly one~ it says so right on all my obgyn documents winky.gif).  My DP is also a perfectionist, which yes, does not help nor count for anything in this wacky process!!  Good luck on this week's insem. We've got a lot of ladies in the wait, it's going to be exciting!

Lise~ I think you should have Sangria, which incorporates the magical fertility powers of both red wine AND pineapple!   Truly, though, you should do what makes you feel the most secure, though I have to say the pineapple's a good treat whether you think it's working or not.

Isa~ Thanks for noticing the new and improved Aspidistra!  I was just looking at all the available smileys and that one caught my eye.  I don't think I can avoid her being a bit pink and flowery at least in the early days, so I might as well embrace it. And I like your wine theory! Besides, until implantation, there's no way anything can enter the zygote/baby, so being relaxed would be the priority I think.

Rainbow~ I'm so sorry you missed Angela Davis, I'd love the chance to hear her speak!  I'm also sorry your cycle's so wacky, I hope it sorts out for your next insem possibility. 

AFM~ Bladder infection! Fun!  I knew something was amiss  down there, but I didn't know if it was just soreness from being constantly kicked and punched, so I figured I'd go and have it looked at and I'm the proud winner of a cycle of antibiotics. Yay. Still, much better than a kidney infection and premature labor, so I'll manage. The giant handful of pills and supplements I now take daily just makes me shake my head. Prior to this I went to the doctor maybe MAYBE once a year, and that only for things like the giant piece of glass I stepped on, etc. Now I'm the most examined I've ever been in my life.

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

#435 of 594 Old 01-25-2011, 08:33 AM

Wow- yes, this is super active here!  The GLBT fertility board is pretty cool on BabyCenter - there are a few really great women.  

I'm Kit (34) and DW is Sharri but mostly I call her Shaw (41).  We have a 14 year old son who is a freshman in high school.  I got a two for one deal! Yay me. heartbeat.gif  We are TTC #1 together.  We have been together for 6 years and married for 6 months. We have been doing everything as 'natural' as possible because it's cheaper.  Neither of us have insurance so everything is out of pocket. We've done 3 insems at home so far.  I read so much about RE intervention that I worry I'm behind the game.  We used two vials this month and now because I got no temp spike I'm worried that I didn't O. SIGH.  So I am 2dpi.  

Thanks for the super warm welcome. Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

#436 of 594 Old 01-25-2011, 08:43 AM

Hi Everyone,

Wishin'&hopin': Still sending you hugs. hug2.gifcandle.gif

Library: I'm sorry you have a bladder infection, but I'm glad that if there was something not quite right it is something that can be fixed and that isn't too serious. I hope you feel 100% better soon!

Rainbowvalleymama: What a crazy week! I hope things calm down for you soon. I'm sorry it didn't work for you to insem this month. Thanks for answering the TMI QOTD. I agree that a healthy sex life is probably the most important piece of that advice, but I think Brill does recommend getting the 3-4 orgasms a week in any way you can. About cervical position--I do it by feel, and I do think there is a dramatic difference between low and high. It did take me a month or so of feeling regularly it to get the hang of what each position felt like. Good luck!

Graceie: How exciting that you were able to order for this month! I hope you ovulate exactly when you want to. fingersx.gif

Isa: Thanks for the advice about not taking off the cycle. It's interesting that your doc suggested you hug your knees to your chest after the IUI. Maybe I'll try that next time!

Lisedea: The wait is so hard! I hadn't heard the wine theory. Another interesting possibility to consider!

NAMW: Thanks for sharing your information. I think the first cycle is in some ways the hardest, just because you're hoping so much that it will work and it is all so new. Hopefully this cycle will work perfectly for you and you won't have to even consider IUIs!

SharriKit: Welcome! It's frustrating when your temp doesn't do what you want it to, but it seems like people often get pregnant on cycles where their temps are extremely weird.

AmandaMom: I hope the wait goes quickly. I have everything crossed for you! fingersx.gif Can I ask why 5dpo is the time that you stop orgasms? Is it because you're thinking implantation around that time? That makes sense to me.

AmandaHope: Thanks for letting me know that you did fly during the TWW, since you were one of the Dr. Wu success stories I was thinking about. I will still consider a trigger at some point, but my RE likes to do clomid when she does triggers, and I'm not ready to go there yet.

Indigo: Happy Birthday to DS2!

AFM: I think today is officially CD1. I'm glad that my body got it together faster this cycle, since last cycle I had to wait 4 days after I stopped progesterone before AF started. I think we are going to insem this cycle despite the planned trip--thanks for all your support on that. So I'm just working on making all the changes to my diet and schedule that I had planned!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#437 of 594 Old 01-25-2011, 09:05 AM

Wishing I'm so sorry : )

Afm of course I get the positive opk today with sperm coming Tommrow !
#438 of 594 Old 01-25-2011, 09:10 AM

Gracie: there is still time! No worries! Maybe the sperm will even come today as a special surprise!

DP to Sara, two crazy kids running around, lil dude born 11-1-11babyf.gif and the new guy is home !! babyboy.gif  (5/2/12)

#439 of 594 Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Oh, Wishin’, I’m so sorry. ((hugs)) and lots of love to both of you. hug2.gif

Library—Oh, no! Those aren’t fun at all! Glad you’re on the road to recovery, though! And, I must say that my friends started out with all gender-neutral clothing for their daughter, but now that she’s a year old everything I see her wearing is either pink or purple, because she’s so ‘girly’. I don’t really see how a toddler can be particularly girly (or boyish, for that matter) since she can barely speak yet and plays with whatever they give her, but I figure it doesn’t hurt anything. Also, I kind of like pink.

Kit—I think it just depends on your situation how long you try at home before calling the RE. Some of us are more patient than others, and insurance is obviously a big part of it, too. Hopefully this will all be a moot point soon and you’ll get your BFP!

Escher—Glad AF came on schedule so you don’t have to wait. Waiting for her to show up is the worst part of this whole danged thing.

Rainbow—how strange! I hope next time is textbook for you!

AFM—twingey, crampy, whiney…you know, my usual dwarves. I’m calling an RE today to see when I can get an appointment. Since the lovely ladies of the blogosphere inform me that it’ll probably be a couple months before I can get in I think our plan will be to keep going with the IUIs until we can see the RE and then do whatever s/he tells us to do. Of course, this is completely unnecessary because I am pregnant. At least until Sunday. No testing this time! Either AF shows or she doesn’t. Which is hard, to say the least.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#440 of 594 Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 AM

wishin'&hopin', deepest sympathy... candle.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#441 of 594 Old 01-25-2011, 10:06 AM

Hello everyone! I have been reading the thread on my phone but haven't had a chance to get on a computer until today - my classes this quarter are killing me - Research Methods? No thanks.

First of all wishin' - I am so, so sorry. hug.gif candle.gif

Max - that is so amazing that you got to do an IUI!!! What kind of jokes did DP tell you? 

AmandaMom - Clover is an adorable name! It would be a really cute way to honor your honeymoon too smile.gif

Library - I would love a knitting lesson from your DP! Where in Chicago does your sister live? Do you get up here often? What kind of music will your new band play? winky.gif Sucktown re: bladder infection - at least you seem to have caught it early. And I am happy to hear about those iron pills perking you up! Yay!

NAMW  and KitWelcome.gif you are in the right place! Looking forward to getting to know you both!

mami - we just got a headlamp too! I can't wait to see how cute my DP looks in it :) Hope everything went well for you!!!

Isa - your quilts are beautiful! And thank you for the info on Howard Brown - they haven't called us back yet so we're going to try again. But we can talk about all of this when we meet in real life! orngtongue.gif

lisedea - I agree with Isa, what kind of island doesn't have pineapple?! I will ship you one as a congratulations for being pregnant this cycle! How did you end up on the island? Are you from MI originally? 

escher - sounds like you are in very good spirits! The diet changes sound great - have fun on your trip!

Everyone else - wave.gif hi!!! I can't believe how many folks are in the TWW right now! So amazing - there are going to be so many BFP soon - promise you won't all leave us though. 

AFM - we found out yesterday that DP did not get one of the positions. It's okay though - it was her second choice of the two plus it would have been an hour and a half commute both ways. No fun. But we also found out that she had made it to the top 3 out of 300 applicants, so, that's something! We should know about the other one by Thursday. Any extra crossed fingers and good vibes are appreciated! 

Question about pineapple - we currently have three cores in ziploc bags in our freezer since I heard the core has the most of whatever it is in pineapple that we are supposed to have. Do you think that is stupid and I should just buy a fresh one when the time comes? We were on a pineapple kick there for awhile and just thought it couldn't hurt to save them...

Kara (31) in luxlove.gif with DW Nicki (28) + dog2.gifOllie & Lola. TTC #1 - September, October, November 2011 & May 2012 - bfn

#442 of 594 Old 01-25-2011, 10:56 AM

wishin' and hopin' ... I am so sorry for your loss. How devastating and sad.  Mind your hearts, hon.   candle.gif 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#443 of 594 Old 01-25-2011, 12:33 PM

Thanks everyone, we are officially at the sour grapes portion of the event:

We can drink

Hot tubs will still be okay

We won't have a tiny newborn during the yucky months and if we get pregnant this summer have time to fatten up a spring baby before winter sick season

DS might not be in diapers when the next one comes along.

Still sucks tho.

We can't try again until LATE june...so we'll just keep on keeping on and enjoy watching DS grow!

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#444 of 594 Old 01-25-2011, 12:38 PM

wishin'&hopin' sending you lots of love and hugs.... candle.gif

#445 of 594 Old 01-25-2011, 12:51 PM

Wishin~ I'm glad you're making the best of a bad situation, but sure am sorry you have to.  xoxoxoxox

MrsP~ I'm sure that your DP didn't get the position because she's going to get the super awesome one she really wants.   My sister lives in Ravenswood or Lincoln Square or something like that? She's told me before, but I always forget. Nothing TOO fancy, but not too scary neither.  We get up to see them every couple of years~ we were going last summer but then our house was burgled and the cost of replacing our computers and stuff ate up all our vacation money.  But we'll be going again soon, I'm sure, and we'll have to have a  get together/knitting lesson then.   As for your pineapple cores, maybe you could blend them into a smoothie and drink it all up. That'd be a good way of getting it all at once?

Ok, this is kinda TMI and gross, but it also made me laugh. My antibiotic combined with my iron pill has given me oh-so-delightful dyssentery. As I was looking at info about this, I learned that if it doesn't clear up I have to see a doctor because it could develop into a condition called TOXIC MEGACOLON.  Sounds nightmarish, but it has an awesome name.

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

#446 of 594 Old 01-25-2011, 12:52 PM

Starling~ Crosspost!  How are you doing? Symptoms yet?  When are you thinking you'll know one way or the other?

#447 of 594 Old 01-25-2011, 01:55 PM

Wishin' ... Why late June?  Enjoy your hot tubs and merlot in the meantime. 

Library ... Thanks for asking.  I'll post what I posted in my old DDC (we're still pretty close) because we're badly hankering for a nap, both DD and I, so not much time before one of us melts down:

"As for me ... We're a week into the tww.  No plans to test any time.  Of course, I'm obsessing over every little twinge and potential symptom.  I am starving all the time, I'm constipated, I'm gassy, I have heartburn, and I'm exhausted.  However, after last time, I'm tempering the inventory with the understanding that all of that could be attributed to the progesterone.  So.  Am I hopeful?  I'm not sure.  Am I feeling like all is lost?  No.  I'm content.  Oddly content.  And I can tell you why I know that I am, in fact, content rather than pretending to be ... my best mama friend, who's son is two days older than Esmé, just found out that she's pregnant.  And I'm thrilled!  If I were anything but content with whatever outcome, I'd be jealous, or sad for our family.  But I am so thrilled that she's pregnant!  First, for the possibility that our babes would be close in age again, and secondly, that I'll have tonnes of newborn yummyness even if I'm not."

Yeah, so.  No plans to test anytime soon.  This is the last ttw I'll ever experience, and now with a very final end in sight, I don't know if I want it to be over any sooner than it needs to be. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#448 of 594 Old 01-25-2011, 03:39 PM

I have never posted on one of these sites before, but my girlfriend and I are just starting our 4th "trying to make a baby" cycle today. I did my 3rd IUI three weeks ago, and after a very disappointing negative on Sunday started my period today. Ugh

Needless to say, I am growing frustrated. We have followed the doctor's orders every month. The first month we did 50mg of Clomid and Ovidrel. For month 2, we did 150mg of Clomid and Ovidrel. After having a "Come to Jesus" meeting with our fertility doctor, we tried Femera and Gonal-F for this last round. All have ended up NEGATIVE!!!!!!!!! We have only done one insemination per cycle as our doctor doesn't feel that more than one would be beneficial. My doctor is starting to frustrate me.

I feel like we are missing it obviously. The timing has been generic for the most part.........................36 hours after our Ovidrel shot. So this month, we have decided to take matters into our own hands. We have enlisted the help of  a midwife friend, and we are now going to try to do this at home. 

I need help ladies! I am clueless................................I am a pro at taking OPK's now thanks to 3 failed IUIs, but apparently, I am still doing something wrong. I have a gay friend who is willing to be our donor, but I don't know where to start with him. I know he needs to get tested, and we need to draw up some paperwork. Anyone have any advice for the testing process? Where could I get the testing done for reasonably cheap (or inexpensive since this is fertility we are talking about)? 

And timing? Does anyone have any advice for how we should time these? 

If fresh doesn't work, then we would like to do at home with frozen, but the sperm bank we have been working with only sends out sperm if doctor signs a release. Guess which doctor won't sign a release? Mine! We asked at the beginning of the process. 

Where can I turn? I am sick of not being taken seriously. The doc keeps saying, "It just takes time." blah blah blah. But I only have so much insurance coverage! I feel like we are just tossing them down the drain. We may have to move on to IVF, but I don't want to go that route yet. 

I am sorry for venting. It's just I live in the Bible belt of the South................SC to be exact. Do you know how much fun it is to talk about lesbian conception there? I am just getting frustrated with the whole process. Every month that I get a negative, my heart breaks, and I cry. I know it's crazy, but I feel like I have suffered a loss each time. 

Well thanks for any input and/or advice! I wish good luck to any of you who are struggling with this as my girlfriend and I are. I won't give up if you won't either! 

Erica (28) Donna (41)  TTC since October 2010
IUI #1 October 2010  Clomid 50 mg and Ovidrel - neg.gif
IUI #2 November 2010 Clomid 150 mg and Ovidrel -neg.gifIUI #3 January 2011 (day before great snowstorm of the century) Femera, Gonal-F, and  Ovidrel neg.gif, period, and a week later pos.gifjoy.gifSadly, God needed my...angel.gif
#449 of 594 Old 01-25-2011, 04:19 PM

Wishin- I am so sorry to hear that! hug2.gif I am sending hugs to both you and your partner right now. candle.gif

Mami- Sorry you are having such a stressful insem. I would say for sure the first are the most stressful then you get the hang of it. I hope you trying to take it easy and relax. I agree with Krista, use multiple indicators of ovulation and try to insem when most line up. If you have multiple vials you can spread them out. Good Luck dust.gif

PrettyIsa- Love those quilts! Keeping fingers crossed for you. fingersx.gif

AmandaHope- I have also made similar dietary changes as you but I can’t seem to give up cheese. The closest I have come is to cutting down on it. innocent.gif Two thumbs up for you! thumb.gif

Seraf- I kinda want twins but I’m careful not to wish too hard because I know it’s harder on the the embies.

Escher-
I personally would not wait, I would do it but that’s just because I hate waiting! We only didn’t insem on vacations where it was impossible to do so.

SharriKit
- Welcome! :welcome

LiseDea- I like red wine a lot so drinking it before insem is always fun for me. Now, not drinking the wine during the TWW will be harder. I think I will drink juice out of a wine glass just for the visual.

Rainbow-
I think they say with cervix to monitor the position every day so you get used to the changes and you can identify what yours looks like close to ovulation. DP always looked to see how open and soft it got closer to ovulation.

Library
- OW! Sorry about your infection and the dysentery. Can you stop the antibotics?

Gracie
- Good Luck! I hope you catch that egg! dust.gif

MrsPP
- I am finishing up my doctorate in education. What you are studying? Keeping fingers crossed for your DP and I would try to get fresh pineapple if you can. I would make a smoothie out of the frozen ones and eat all of it!

Starling- I’m gonna take all of that as good signs for you! fingersx.gif

Teamusery-
Welcome and I think most people here would recommend Stephanie Brills book to help with timing, etc. Track more than three signs if you can: temp, cervix, opk, and saliva microscope. Chart your cycle with these every month to really get to know it. Brill’s book also covers what should be in a contract and how to handle them. Many of us this board have been doing these things and have been trying over a year. We all know how heartbreaking the process is but it is far more difficult when you aren’t doing it “naturally”. Frozen sperm itself has fewer chances of surviving. I don’t mean to sound rough about it but it does take time and it can be a very difficult road.

Progesterone Question-
I am taking Endometrin (100mg of progesterone) twice a day. Now, when I was taking the Prometrium it was 200mg twice a day. Anyone else out there taking Endometrin? Prometrium really makes me sore, that’s why I was given this alternative, I’m just not sure about this dosage.

A joke DP told me after the IUI with my comments in parenthesis-
A frog needs a loan for his new house but all he has as collateral is a little tchotchke. (You mean he needs a new lily pad?) He goes to bank and the loan officer, Patty Black, informs him he needs more collateral. (She’s mean) Patty says she will go ask her supervisor if he can work out a deal for the frong. (What’s the frog’s name?) Patty shows the supervisor the frog’s collateral and says she doesn’t even know what this frog brought in as collateral. The supervisor says, “Why, that’s a knick-knack Patty Black, give the frog a loan!” The End. I only remembered this one because of the rhyme at the end.
DP has now subscribed to a joke a day so he can tell me jokes whenever he thinks I need them.

AFM- I am on my second day of progesterone after the IUI on Sunday. So far no side effects. I was really lucky that the only side effect I had from my meds were bloating and weight gain. I was very emotional the day after the trigger shot though.

TTC#1 since Sept, 2009; in heartbeat.gif w DP, + two young dogs. Started adoption process May 2011. adoptionheart-1.gif  Baby boy born on June 18, 2013 and placed with us.babyboy.gif

#450 of 594 Old 01-25-2011, 04:44 PM

Tea: In answer to some of your questions....and to give a squeeze of support. I know it's hard. It's really hard when you see those BFPs. Unfortunately, as many of us have learned, conception is really MUCH HARDER than society makes it out to be. Human beings are the most difficult beings to get pregnant. Our chances each month are so slim. This is said not to depress you, but to help brace you and more importantly, to educate you quickly so you're sure to be doing the best you can each month!

1. Inseminating: there are many arguments as to whether double insemming is worth it. No studies have shown back-to-back IUIs increase success where some have said that it can increase it up to 11%. Ultimately, my opinion is that it's up to you guys. If you want two IUIs then you get them scheduled regardless of what your doc says.

2. Fresh vs. frozen: we moved to fresh about 4 months ago. It hasn't gotten me pregnant but a lot in Stephanie Brill's book made me think it was worth trying. Your guy can get tested at a city clinic at a low cost. You can look online for recommended tests. One of the positives with fresh is that you can "afford" to do more because the sperm is free. In working with my IVF doc, he said I'd have a better chance going back to IUIs with frozen but I didn't concur. I don't recommend using frozen for an at home insem (called an ICI). If you read Brill's book, it notes that if you do at home, you should request ICI ready sperm, not frozen. IUI's DO give higher results so if you're paying to get sperm from the sperm bank and then doing it at home (which provides you with a lesser chance) I wouldn't recommend it. Especially if you can get a free sperm donor and get fresh.

3. Testing: I don't think you noted where YOU have gotten tested. Have you had all the standard blood work plus an HSG? Are you working with an RE or an OB/GYN? If you aren't working with an RE, I recommend finding one. My doc (although an RE) is the same as yours saying, "It takes time." That very well may be true but you may have things pressing on you that don't allow for time (i.e. your age or finances). It's up to you to decide what step comes next based on timing. You did get moved VERY quickly to injectables so there is some positive argument to moving right to IVF if you can. Did you respond well to the injectables? But all of this is a moot point if you haven't done testing. Do you know for sure you don't have something like PCOS?

4. Timing: do you truly feel timing is right? Do you know from charting and monitoring other signs? Keep in mind that HCG trigger shots are very much used for the convenience of the clinic/doctor's office. If they give you trigger, then they have a timeframe in which to inseminate. But not everyone ovulates 36 hours after. I discovered that I didn't and stopped letting the doc's office control when I would insem. I also don't let them control the trigger shot timing either. I do using the information I get from my ultrasound on CD13.

me (40) DP (47) TTC since April 2010, 5 IUIs & 6 at home w/ fresh
Short luteal phase, septum resection in Sept 2011
Jan 2011 a BFP! Try #11 angel.gif 8w2d (blighted ovum)
April 2011 BFP! Try #12 angel.gif 9w2d (no heartbeat)

Nov 2011 BFP! Try #14 angel.gif 8w0d (twins, no heartbeat)

June 2012 -- Moving onto IVF with PGD

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page