ICI, IUI-- IDK! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-19-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

My wife and I were/are planning on trying to get pregnant this month.  When we tried to place our order for frozen ICI sperm last night, we were told that there is only one vial left.  However, there is plenty of IUI left...

So, can we use IUI sperm for an at-home intracervical insemination?  We're feeling a lot little overwhelmed by all of the information out there.  Any help/guidance that you can provide would be very much appreciated! 

Thank you,

Nicole

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 AM

As I understand it (and I did IUI in a fertility clinic, so it's not something I really looked into and I could easily be wrong about this), you can use IUI washed sperm when doing an ICI, but it's slightly less likely to work, and the IUI sperm will cost more.

Good luck TTC!

The incredibly true adventures of two girls in love. Also starring DS babyf.gif12/09 and dog2.gif!

#3 of 6 Old 01-19-2011, 02:50 PM

You can use it!!! It worked for us! Just make sure you have enough CM because it is a lot less liquid than an ICI would be. IUI is washed so there is no semen and most of the dead sperm is washed out--which apparently makes it more potent...it is just getting into the cervix that is the tricky part.

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

#4 of 6 Old 01-19-2011, 05:21 PM

You certainly can! Just try to get it as close to your cervix as possible, but avoid using a speculum to do so. I've heard they can cause the swimmers to leak out when doing ICI. You should join us on the Queer Conceptions thread. There are many knowledgeable people there to lend their support and advice. Welcome to MDC and good luck!

Amanda (32)ribbonrainbow.gif Sue (37)
*****In Love since 2006*****
TTC #1 since March 2010 
#5 of 6 Old 01-20-2011, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for your responses.  I am both so excited to start trying and very, very scared!  blush.gif  I will certainly be making my way over to the conception forums.  

Thanks again! 

#6 of 6 Old 01-25-2011, 05:55 AM

I don't know how late this post is, but I just wanted to say that we did a home IUI with Shae, and it was really easy, I would get the IUI sperm and do an IUI instead of a ICI. If you need any tips or advice, apparently DW is an expert b/c it worked the first month!

-Sarah

Sarah & Liz = Our 3 princesses: Riley (4/22/05), Teagan (4/15/08) and Finley (4/1/11)!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page