Gluten-free and pregnant, anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-23-2011, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wondering if anybody here is or has been or has experience with a partner on a gluten-free diet, ie Celiac disease.  My wife (who is gluten-free due to Celiac) and I have been looking all over the place for some kind of a Gluten-Free Pregnancy book or cookbook and have found nothing!  Only the same old 'what to eat when you're expecting' type books.

Thanks!

Mom and Mama to our Ever so clever daughter (9.1.12)! We have a blog, too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-23-2011, 08:54 PM

I have a fairly severe gluten intolerance (have never officially been diagnosed as celiac) and I followed a very strict gluten-free diet for most of my pregnancy. I think a gluten free diet is super healthy and perfect when you're pregnant! I think she can just do what all pregnant people do and stick with how she eats now....more protein, iron, good fat, etc. Most sources of protein are naturally gluten free (as I'm sure you know).

One interesting thing...I read several people's experiences that their celiac didn't bother them when they were pregnant. I would never suggest that someone with celiac should eat gluten to try but I thought it was an interesting phenomenon!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#3 of 7 Old 01-23-2011, 08:58 PM

celiac plus previously pregnant. No problems here. Ate as I always did (GF) when not puking :)

#4 of 7 Old 01-23-2011, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, that's pretty much what I expected but it never hurts to check :)  We both feel very fortunate to live in a time when Celiac disease and gluten-free options are much more available.  That being said, we were surprised there was nothing out there regarding GF pregnancy!  

Thank you both for your input, I appreciate it!  

Oh and carmen, it seems interesting to me as well that some people would consider *not* eating GF while they're pregnant and it's even more surprising that it didn't bother them!  I read some statistics today saying that a woman with undiagnosed Celiac or gluten intolerance has a 17% chance of miscarriage and that babies born to those women traditionally have much lower birthweights than babies born to women who ate a GF diet.  Interesting!

Mom and Mama to our Ever so clever daughter (9.1.12)! We have a blog, too!
#5 of 7 Old 01-24-2011, 12:04 PM

My Celiac's actually changed while I was pregnant earlier this year (I ended up loosing the baby, not Celiac related) and now I can not eat anything with dairy in it. I think that being GF makes you think more because you can not just grab anything to snack on so I seem to make better choices.bag.gif My midwife was quite happy with my GF/DF diet.

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#6 of 7 Old 01-24-2011, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I have celiac disease and so had a totally gluten-free pregnancy.  No problems!  I ate a lot of brown rice and kale with braggs but that's only because that's what I craved ... yum, yum!  Congrats on the pregnancy!  Just a heads up, your post might get moved to a more general pregnancy or nutrition forum, in which case even more people will likely chime in.  Welcome to MDC!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#7 of 7 Old 01-24-2011, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I had a completely GF pregnancy as well.  Celiacs, diagnosed 7-8 years ago and have been GF ever since.  I started on a TF diet while pregnant (3 months) and really never looked back. 

My pregnancy was fantastic.  No sickness, no problems, nothing.  Our birth was fantastic.  No problems whatsoever.  I think it is an advantage. 

I tell everyone I know that is pregnant to slow down on the gluten, stop processed foods (everyone should!) and amp up on the good fats/proteins.

Second about the gluten not bothering some while pregnant... friend of mines experience... not me though!

'09   

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page