February Queer Conceptions 2011 - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmama42 View Post

About the stress, the first month I was going to try and inseminate, I had a huge amount of work stress and didn't O at all!  It was a huge fiasco--I went to my doc for an ultrasound dragging a huge tank of swimmers only to be told that my follies were tiny.  After that month, I stopped taking chances and started Clomid, just because I didn't want to risk missing another cycle (and I'm 36 and in a hurry to conceive!)  It's great that you're getting an early start and asking these questions. I love it!

Qmama, I'm pretty sure that stress affects me the same exact way.  All the more reason to try to stay super chill during these cycles!  A question for you about Clomid:  how long have you been on it?  I heard that its efficacy decreases after 6 cycles.  I've done 4 cycles with it but am planning to start again next month and I'd like to just keep using it for as long as it takes since I am not going to go back to injectables.  I also heard that Femara is a Clomid-alternative...anyone have experience with that?

AFM, I hope everyone had a lovely Valentine's Day!  DP brought me a bunch of baby pink roses and we shared a bottle of prosecco and lots of dark chocolate :)  I will start bringing my fertility doll to the computer when I post so that its magic can travel through the Interwebs to all of you! smile.gif

Kelly (33) & Cole (30) married since 2008, TTC #1 since 2009

pos.gif on 5/2/11!  EDD is 1/3/12! 

#362 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 10:13 AM

Dawn: great vibes! so exciting! Take good care of each other :)

AFM: Hi all! It is springy in Ontario today. Still cold and snow on the ground but you can smell the fresh spring air blowing. Man I'm so done with winter :)

my cycle got a little out of whack this month. DS has the flu and sleep has been crazy, so I'm hoping that is why. AF came later than usual, nothing big - but I'm realizing I will need to be careful with sleep when we start IUI.

QOTD: for those trying for #2 or 3..., how did you decide when to have another child? Has anyone switched partners carrying?

My valentine's report: we spent the day caring for our toddler who had a fever and has the flu. Not very romantic, but I felt so much love. And she is our brave vomit cleaner. How much more romantic can you get? 

Blessings and baby dust to all in TWW.

Our rainbow1284.gif family: mommytea6.gif and DW mama luxlove.gif our 4.5 yr old DD 'Z' notes2.gif and 2 yr old DD 'S' femalesling.GIF and hoping for baby.gif

#363 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 12:04 PM

Lots of random thoughts (as you know I all have) educationally speaking...

Clomid & Femara: Clomid is not recommended for more than 6 cycles. I think mostly, after 6 cycles it's just recommended that you move on to something else. Don't forget, when doing Clomid, ask for a Clomid Challenge to take a pre-cursory look at your "ovarian reserve." You might as well do it if you're already on the meds. It requires some blood tests and an additional ultrasound at CD3 but it's worth it. Femara is a good alternative to Clomid because it doesn't thin the lining as much and reduces your chances of cysts. I did Clomid once (produced nothing other than the possibility of cysts) and Femara twice (also, showed me no love and once, produced a thin lining). By the way, thin linings aren't the of the world unless they are really low. If on the edge, they'll give you estrogen to help plump the sucker up. But the trigger shot is also good for plumping the sucker. Heck, I HAD a thin lining this cycle and got pregnant. On my super thick cycles -- nada.

Frozen vs. Fresh: this is the ongoing debate that will never end in my mind. Both have advantages. Frozen with an IUI gets you closer to the place where "magic happens" but the downside is the sperm lasts a short time (12 hours) and so timing is super critical. Fresh needs to travel up through the vagina and cervix to get to the same place the IUI places it to begin with, but it can hang out for longer. Up to 5 days (they say, but I think that's under super optimal, young guy sperm standards). Again, who the hell knows as I believe I got pregnant this cycle with fresh sperm from up to 4 days prior...

Multiple vs. Single Inseminations: since timing is the most critical factor here (besides overall health) obviously, the more chances you have to throw sperm at it, the better. But...that can be expensive for some so throwing 2 to 3 insems at it, could be beyond your financial means. Which is why many of us resort to fresh. By the way, you might "think" you don't have any fresh available but my Known Donors were not all that well known, if you know what I mean. If you want more info, PM me. The one cycle that did it for me, I had four insems over three days which is one insem more than I normally do but I also had two different guys. I'm not sure which factor made the difference or if any of it made the difference. But I will say, that even with what I thought to be regular ovulation, having multiple chances to attack that egg could have made all the difference in the world for me.

Temping: the most critical part of temping is doing it at the same time each day and making sure you meet the requirements (having slept at least four to five hours) and recognizing anything in your environment or health that could affect it. And keep in mind that temping is really best used to LOOK BACK on when you ovulated, not predict ovulation. This is why it's critical to choose other signs to monitor so that you can try your best to have at least 3 signs match up to pinpoint your ovulation. Again, I thought I had ovulated at one point this cycle and that's when we did our insems but in looking back, I think I happened to ovulate later and so the sperm must of hung around to make the baby.

Disclaimer: I don't have the magic bullet or answer as I can't even tell you what got me pregnant but I just can't let all this info stick in my head all day long taking up space! I hope it's helpful to someone out there.

AFM: first ultrasound next Tuesday at 6.5 weeks. Trying not to do the freakout thing. Have minimal pregnancy symptoms and although supposedly this happens and you are to be grateful for it, it's a little hard to accept as you feel after all this trying, you should feel something -- gosh darnit!

Hang in there, girls.

me (40) DP (47) TTC since April 2010, 5 IUIs & 6 at home w/ fresh
Short luteal phase, septum resection in Sept 2011
Jan 2011 a BFP! Try #11 angel.gif 8w2d (blighted ovum)
April 2011 BFP! Try #12 angel.gif 9w2d (no heartbeat)

Nov 2011 BFP! Try #14 angel.gif 8w0d (twins, no heartbeat)

June 2012 -- Moving onto IVF with PGD

#364 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 12:20 PM

Hello lovely ladies! Sorry I haven't been around much...this is why...as you can see in my signature I have removed the "March". Last week DW and I had the conversation that I have been dreading and knew was coming...the "if I don't have a job we can't try in March" one. You know, it's one thing to know something *might* happen and it is another thing for that thing to actually happen. I was a serious wreck. Last week Wednesday you would have thought someone had died I was so sad. And I felt kind of silly for being so sad but I couldn't help myself - I have been planning and temping and charting and talking and wanting this so bad for so long. We were very naive about how long it would take Nicki to get a job - we picked March 2011 last May thinking "of course you'll have something fabulous by then!". Like I said, naive. I had a therapy appointment (thank goodness!) Wednesday night and just sobbed the whole time. My therapist was a gem and said that it is okay to mourn this delay. She made me feel better. DW and I talked it over more that night, still sad, but feeling better. I barely slept at all and in the morning found out I did not have to go to work because the kids were sick. We took that day to really re-group, relax and realize that in the grand scheme of things - this is certainly not the end of the world. I allowed myself to be sad but then snapped out of it - I know there are going to be so many more bumps in the road on this journey and this one is just a speck. We decided to spend the rest of the weekend really focused on just us - we put a ban on all job and baby talk and it was amazing! We remembered what we used to talk about - we goofed around, went for walks, snuggled, went to a concert and a poetry slam. It was wonderful! And I have to tell you - so much pressure has been lifted! Off both of us! Now instead of a month, we have a 'wait and see'. I am still going to be getting ready and and soon as she lands that job - it will be go-time. On Friday she got called in for two interviews - they were both yesterday - they both went well. But we have no eggs in any baskets - what will be will be. 

So there you have it. I would like to continue hanging out here with you all if that's okay! I have been reading along and getting caught up. I will do personals later - just wanted to let you all know this tidbit. Oh! and something really cool! I used a smiley OPK for the first time last night and guess what? It smiled at me! I was totally shocked that I caught the surge on the first try. Pretty neat.

Kara (31) in luxlove.gif with DW Nicki (28) + dog2.gifOllie & Lola. TTC #1 - September, October, November 2011 & May 2012 - bfn

#365 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 12:32 PM

Krista~ Don't freak. I had zero pregnancy symptoms up until the time I finally had a bump. Like, nothing. No sickness, no extra fatigue, nothing. So don't let that part get you down. I know you're stressing, and with good reason, but don't let that be a source of stress.    Otherwise, your information continues to be thorough and useful. I still think you should be a Lesbodoula ;)

MrsP~ I'm so sorry you have to have this delay. Mourning sounds perfectly natural, but I'm glad you're able to find happy places in your life and not just be mourning.  I'm sure it will happen for you very soon xoxo

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

#366 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Krista--thanks for the breakdown--since we're going to be looking at more meds if this cycle doesn't work it's good to have it all laid out there. Can you answer an earlier question of mine that got kind of buried--is there a reason to do Clomid or Femara WITHOUT a trigger shot? It seems to me that if you're doing one you might as well trigger, too, but I see that most of you don't do both right off the bat.

MrsPP--of course stick around! I was hanging out around here for MONTHS before we finally started trying! Which is to say that I'm sorry you're facing a delay, but I think your reasons are good ones (hopefully the interviews went well and she'll have a great job in no time!). DP and I had all kinds of 'conversations' about when we could start. It was hard because I was ready a good six months before she was (also true of buying our house, getting married, etc. I'm on the fast track, I am) and needed to wait. I think it just means you'll be totally ready when you do get to try. smile.gif

She's here! joy.gif
#367 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 01:33 PM

cnmk - greet.gif I'm so glad you found us!

max - Sorry to hear about the polyp. I'm sure it will be a quick fix, and you'll be back on track for your IVF cycle. Those are the vibes I'm sending your way. thumb.gif

Liberry - I just heard from the appliance repair people, and they should be here tomorrow to replace yet another part. Thankfully, Maytag is paying for the parts, but we've already dished out $175 in labor, and tomorrow will be another $45-60. Maybe we should have just bought a new one...

Carmen - Hoping you get those fertility signs you're looking for!

Brite - Big congrats on your surprise engagement! joy.gif I'm certain your surprise BFP is soon to follow. orngbiggrin.gif

Escher - Did I mention how happy I am for you? joy.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifjumpers.gif EDD? Beta numbers? Symptoms?

Isa - I wish we lived closer so we could join you for roller derby. Sue and I used to go all the time when we lived in Phoenix, and we've been a couple of times since moving to NC. Always a good time! Your chocolate lava cakes and exotic fruit sound delish. eat.gif

Krista - Stay strong and stand your ground! You inspired me to stick to my guns at the RE's today, so don't back down now!

Vegan - hug2.gif So sorry about your BFN, but it is still early! Many people get positive tests after a negative at 11dpo. Fingers crossed tight for you. fingersx.gif If you're comfortable with your timing and not charting your temp, I say forget it... but maybe that's because I feel like throwing that Cuss.gif thermometer out the window. redface.gif

Kelly - I agree you should share that fertility doll with the rest of us!

AmandaHope - I got all misty reading your good news. I couldn't be happier for you. I look forward to hearing the name you and DP choose!

Indigo - Many hugs hug.gif to you and your family for dealing with such drama.

Dawn - I've hear the ovidrel shot should be out of your system after 6 days, so any pregnancy signs from here on out are the real deal! thumb.gif

MrsPP - I'm sorry you've had to put off your TTC plans, but I'm sure now that you're prepared to delay the process, Nicki will get a job in the nick of time. It sounds like you're at peace either way, which is good. You'll be on that roller coaster before you know it!

Hello and hugs to everyone else!

I have to admit, though I couldn't be happier for the rest of you, I feel a little sad being the last of the Amandas. greensad.gif

AFM, Ugh. CD12, and I had my first follie u/s today. Naive little me, I went in there picturing the kind of ultrasound you get when you're really pregnant. I didn't realize they'd be using the DildoCam. blush.gif That is no fun! It went off without a hitch, though. I have two follies around 15mm on the right side, two smaller ones on the same side, and two smaller ones on the left. The nurse told me to keep taking the OPK's (which I haven't been doing) and to call when I get a surge. I told her I want a trigger shot instead. She tried to talk me out of it, but I stood my ground, and she sent in the doctor. I had to practically BEG for a second u/s on Thursday and a script for the trigger. I had to take initiative to set up this u/s in the first place; otherwise I'd have no monitoring or trigger with the clomid this cycle. I made the mistake of mentioning your experiences/success with monitoring and trigger, and he went on this long rant about how you can't believe everything you hear on the internet. I felt like punching him. I got my way, though, and have a follow up u/s on Thursday to check the status of my growing follies and a script for the ovidrel. Hopefully I can trigger Thursday night and get my IUI Saturday.

How much are you all paying for monitoring and triggers, anyway? I remember someone saying 2-3 ultrasounds a cycle doesn't break the bank. I paid $253 out of pocket for mine today, and that doesn't include the $135 office fee the VA paid for me. It will be another $253 on Thursday, plus $90-$100 for the ovidrel. Then, of course, I have to pay $325 for the insem plus nearly $600 for the one vial of swimmers. All I have to say is, this cycle better work!

Also, my lining measured 5mm. Is that normal for this point in my cycle? I forgot to ask at the RE's.

Amanda (32)ribbonrainbow.gif Sue (37)
*****In Love since 2006*****
TTC #1 since March 2010 
#368 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 02:11 PM

Indigo- Thank for the story about your partner's polyp removal being quick and easy. It gives me a little hope.

AFM
- I've been pretty depressed since finding out about the polyp yesterday. DP and I even talked about quitting TTC. I feel like I've been getting so many signs from the universe that this is beyond hope, it's getting hard to ignore and persevere. I'm giving it all time to sink in but also starting to feel distance from the whole process. mecry.gif

TTC#1 since Sept, 2009; in heartbeat.gif w DP, + two young dogs. Started adoption process May 2011. adoptionheart-1.gif  Baby boy born on June 18, 2013 and placed with us.babyboy.gif

#369 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaMom View Post

How much are you all paying for monitoring and triggers, anyway? I remember someone saying 2-3 ultrasounds a cycle doesn't break the bank. I paid $253 out of pocket for mine today, and that doesn't include the $135 office fee the VA paid for me. It will be another $253 on Thursday, plus $90-$100 for the ovidrel. Then, of course, I have to pay $325 for the insem plus nearly $600 for the one vial of swimmers. All I have to say is, this cycle better work!

For me (I see the RE practice at Kaiser and we have a 50% fertility insurance benefit, thank god), an ultrasound is $127 a pop and I think the trigger med is around $50, but I can't remember exactly.  I may have been the one who said that a couple of ultrasounds & the trigger don't break the bank...I think what I meant is that it's expensive, but not as bad as it could be.  I had an injectables cycle where I probably went in for 20 ultrasounds and had to pay for the hormones on top of it.  [And with that, I'll stop complaining about my bad injectables experience!]  Just wanted to explain my perspective.  FYI, for me an IUI at Kaiser is $147 and when we do the at-home IUI with the midwifery practice in March, the first IUI will be $240, with an additional one at $200.  And yep, my IUI sperm is $595/vial, plus $50 tank rental.

Krista, thanks for the wealth of information you gave to us!  I really appreciated your weighing in on Clomid v. Femara.  I did have the Clomid challenge test last winter and everything came back fine.  I am just mulling over the possibility of being on Clomid for more than 6 cycles as moving onto injectables isn't an option for me.  Maybe Femara would be a good alternative though.

#370 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 02:20 PM

Max,  I really feel for you.  Try to just give yourself time to adjust to the idea of the polyp and to realize that it's not an insurmountable problem.  From what I've seen and read, it sounds like polyps are pretty easily taken care of and then your body will be all ready for that embryo to implant!  I do know how you feel, though.  You get so invested in this process and when things don't go as you assumed they would it's like a personal blow.  I've found that it really helps me to concentrate on the fact that I *will* have a baby at the end of all of this, even if it's through adoption.  DP and I went to an adoption seminar in November to just explore that route and it's brought me some peace ever since.  I'm thinking good thoughts for you!

#371 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 03:16 PM

Okay, some personals coming your way with further information. If I can't be a formal Lesbodoula, at least you guys let me play one on TV here..

Max: I want to give you a hug and hope and hold you up for your cycle. I TOTALLY KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN when you say the universe is giving you signs. I had a string of stuff in November/December and even January. My screwed up uterus, the fact that I was going to "for sure" have gestational diabetes, my (non) existent cysts. But guess what, after all that, I got pregnant the next cycle and so at least we know this...I can get pregnant. So hang in there. It's so hard when you just don't know if it's right around the corner or longer away. But you will get that baby. Unfortunately, 99% of the time it's not on our schedule which pisses us off!! Hang in there.

AmandaMom: I think your lining is thin, even for CD12. I'm surprised they didn't say something. It can certainly grow between now and ovulation and if they're the kind of crew that says, "Just wait and let your body handle it" then they might be comfortable with waiting but this last cycle I went in on CD12 and had a lining of 7mm and I ended up taking estrogen pills to help plump it up. My one follie was at 19mm so further along then yours. If follie and lining are correlating, they might just want you to wait but it's worth reaching out to them and asking as you need a good lining for baby to implant.

Why were you pushing for the trigger? I think there are pros and cons to trigger. My personal opinion is that triggers are used to time things conveniently for the clinics, especially those that aren't open all the time. But part of the downside of trigger is that it can set your ovulation off earlier than the follie is mature so you run that risk. But then some people don't always O in relation to trigger (that would be me!) Trigger also helps to plump the lining so in this case, you were probably right to push for it. When do you normally O? (what day in your cycle?) Follies grow about 2mm a day so you can more or less guess where you'll be at for the next u/s. Try to get your one u/s timed for as close to O as you believe you're going to be (if you O regularly). That way you won't have to do two which is only going to tell you only slightly more info than you have today.

PrettyIsa: I'm not entirely sure what the argument could be for using trigger shot with the fertility drug. I always decided on my trigger shot independent of what drug I was taking. It was more about where my follies were at that point in the game and then I decided as I got closer to O as to whether I wanted to trigger because of a pre-set schedule with the KD. Again, trigger shot is used to help force ovulation, set timing for inseminations, and plump the lining. I think it's really up to you whether you use it or not.

Kelly: may I ask why injectables aren't an option for you? I never went that route but was trying to and was just curious as to why. If you get to 6 rounds of Clomid with no success will you move to Femara or straight to IVF or what?

Library: thanks for stalking me on both boards and caring for all my freakouts. I totally thought I could handle being pregnant but the truth is...I'm not very good at it!

Krista

me (40) DP (47) TTC since April 2010, 5 IUIs & 6 at home w/ fresh
Short luteal phase, septum resection in Sept 2011
Jan 2011 a BFP! Try #11 angel.gif 8w2d (blighted ovum)
April 2011 BFP! Try #12 angel.gif 9w2d (no heartbeat)

Nov 2011 BFP! Try #14 angel.gif 8w0d (twins, no heartbeat)

June 2012 -- Moving onto IVF with PGD

#372 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 03:33 PM

Library/Isa- Let's hope she is on to something. She has been really needy, and usually DP is her favorite person, but she completely ignores DP and curls up on me all the time.

Dawn- Thank you so much! Tell DW that I feel exactly where she is coming from. I am hyper aware of everything going on in my body so I have been feeling every tug, pull, and cramp since O day, but a lot more in the last part of this 2ww. Hope that your 2ww flies by!

Krysta- Congrats for taking control of your body and your pregnancy! Setting a precedence early in your journey starts empowerement over the entire journey! Don't let any nurses or Dr bully you into something you are not comfortable with. It is your body, your process, this is what you were made to do! So own it! Baby Dust for that little bean goodvibes.gifStick Baby Stick!

MrsPP- hug2.gif I know how difficult it can be to have to wait to TTC. Que sera sera (What will be will be) is one of my favorite quotes so take it and run with it :-)

AmandaMom- Thank you so much! I am hoping that it is on the way soon! LMAO for the Dildo cam (consider that phrase stolen LOL)

Max- hug2.gifSending you love & light for your situation and that you will get the guidance from the Universe that you need to make the best decision.

AFM- The main reason I am posting this early in the day is that I just had a major freakout. So AF is due tomorrow, but my cycles vary from 32-34 days with today being CD32. Being hypervigilant about anything going on down there I have been on pins and needles waiting for AF to arrive. I started having pretty regualr cramping about 2 hours ago, and then all of a sudden I felt what felt like AF starting. I just sat in my desk frozen, and said lord no this can't be happening, I just knew this was our month. After sitting there for 5 mintues I decided that it would be best if I got up and put in a tampon before I had a true accident on my hands. I went to the bathroom and after mustering up all kindas of courage I pulled down my pants, and instead of bright red blood I saw a huge glob of creamy CM!!! I was like what in the world is going on with my body? The cramping has continued, and I will continue to check for AF for the next 2 days, but I had to vent for a moment.

Me afro.jpg (26), DW dreads.gif (26) Mommies to Riley Sophia hearts.gif born 6/12, my Angel DD angel.gif Imani Joi, and 1 furbaby dog2.gif... On our Quest for Hope om.gif

#373 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 03:39 PM

Max big big hugs

SW Might I suggest a pad ?  everything crossed for you !

#374 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 03:51 PM

Hi Everyone,

Max: I'm sorry you're in such a hard place right now. I've been there (last cycle was when I was up at 2am looking at adoption agencies), and it is such a challenging place to be. I'm still feeling excited about your IVF, but I definitely understand that it must be hard to maintain your excitement when have to deal with delays. I don't think it is the universe telling you that you need to give up, but I definitely understand how frustrated you must feel right now. I wish I had advice for you. I'm sending you hugs. hug.gifhug2.gif

AmandaMom: I'm excited that you're going to get to try ultrasound monitoring and a trigger shot! I can think of a number of people for whom that seemed to be the (or a) key piece to getting pregnant. How exciting! fingersx.gif I'm sorry you're feeling sad about being the last Amanda standing. hug.gif I remember feeling that way when AmandaHope got pregnant and you were't yet back on the boards. I have everything crossed that you'll be pregnant soon (and I'll stay pregnant) so we can have a big pregnant Amanda party!

MrsPP: I'm sorry that you need to delay (I know that can be frustrating), but it sounds like you're doing it for smart reasons and that you'll be in a good place when you do start. Definitely hang around. This is a fun board to be part of, regardless of if you are actively trying or not.

Krista: I feel like the big bad secret of ttc is that once you get the positive pregnancy test, the anxiety level seems to usually increase. I'm sorry you're having to go through that. I hope you're able to find ways to keep yourself as happy and calm as possible. It's no fun to be stressed out. hug.gifhug2.gif

Burg, Korey, and Coco: Aw, thanks guys! You're so sweet. orngbiggrin.gif CONGRATULATIONS on your beautiful daughters! They are darling. love.gif I hope you all will keep posting pictures in Queer&Newborn so I can keep stalking you!

Isa: Your exotic fruit tray sounds fantastic! eat.gif

Dawn: Those sound like hopeful symptoms. I have my fingers crossed for good news for you soon! fingersx.gif

Indigo: I'm so sorry for the mess with DP's sister! Ugh. hug.gif

Brite: That sounds like a very hopeful sign! I have everything crossed for you! When are you going to test again? fingersx.gif

AFM: No beta result yet (even thought my RE got the result by 2pm today and one of the nurses should have called me. grumph.), but the lines on the pregnancy tests are definitely getting darker and I feel pregnant, so I'm not too worried (yet). This first number isn't going to tell me anything anyway, but I'll be very interested in hearing on Thursday or Friday what the doubling time is. fingersx.gif A few of you asked about my EDD. My EDD according to ovulation is October 27, but I'm thinking about pushing it back to November 2 (11/02/2011 is a nice palindromic date, and I like it's connection to 02/11/2011 which was the miscarried kid's due date). Anyway, I'll let you know when I decide. orngtongue.gif

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#375 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yay, Escher!  Come join me in the October DDC! 

carrot.gifcarrot.gifcarrot.gifcarrot.gifcarrot.gifcarrot.gifcarrot.gifcarrot.gifcarrot.gifcarrot.gif

banana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif

broc1.gifbroc1.gifbroc1.gifbroc1.gifbroc1.gifbroc1.gifbroc1.gifbroc1.gifbroc1.gifbroc1.gif

I'm trying to get Krista to come over there too, but haven't seen her yet.  Where are you Krista?

(ps.   I just figured out to do the veggies more easily!  Hallelujah!)

Max ... I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this now.  hug2.gif  That baby, when he or she comes, will be one of the most wanted children in the world.

AFM:  Weird cravings and having a hard time fitting into my paramedic uniform.  I had to tell my partner at work yesterday because the smells were making me gag and it was kind of obvious.  Including and not limited to, even the cleaner that we use to clean the stretcher between calls and the smell of disposable gloved!.  So that's a lot of gagging! 

I'll be back for more personals later!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#376 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 04:14 PM

escher, i can't wait for you to get over to the Q&P board!! and i love the due date, for both reasons... totally meaningful!

AMom, good for you for getting that trigger shot! way to advocate for yourself! i totally think it was the best thing out of all the changes i made to get me pregnant! i mean, opks seemed so... idk, hit or miss for me. like, even if i tested every 6 hours or something, i could miss the begining of the surge and then who knows what the proper timing is?!?! i also have to say that in all of my research and according to my RE follies grow about 1mm per day, if i remember right you O a little later in your cycle, right? so thursday sounds like a good time to get an u/s. on the day of my second u/s (CD15) my follie was just over 17mm, he told me he liked them to be at least 18mm before triggering so i was told to trigger later that night and insem 36 hours later. by his estimate my follie should have been almost 20mm by the time the trigger made me O. sounds like you are right on track! your lining seems a bit thin but a few days, the trigger shot and 5 days worth of pineapple should take care of that easy! oh, and there's lots of estrogen in soy and that helps your lining so eat up the tofu in the TWW! i did that as well! i think this might just be your month!! fingersx.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#377 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 05:12 PM

Krista, to explain my history--I've already done 3 injectables cycles, with 2 being cancelled due to overstimulation and 1 that did lead up to an IUI (but was a BFN).  The last injectables cycle that I did was last month, and after about 10 days of shots (I was using Lupron and Bravelle) I had so many follicles that we had to cancel.  Talk about an emotional rollercoaster.  About a week later, my doctor and I had a little "come to Jesus" talk where we jointly decided that injectables cycles are a waste for me because my body is too hard to control and we throw thousands of dollars down the drain each time.  So that's why I keep saying that injectables + IUI are out for me.

All of the doctors in my RE practice love to say that I'd be a great candidate for IVF *because* I produce so many eggs on injectables, but financially, that's just not possible for us.  At least not right now.  I also don't know if I have enough of a biological need to be pregnant to commit to spending $13,000-$15,000 a cycle on it.

I think I said some of this in another post I made, so apologies if I sound like a broken record.  The reason I'm going back to a simple Clomid/monitoring/trigger protocol is because we only did 4 of those before moving to injectables.  I feel that we were too aggressive and that I was pushing things too hard.  We never did any at-home insems.  We never did more than 1 IUI per cycle.  I just don't feel that I gave my body enough chances to get pregnant.

So here I am :)  Luckily, we *are* in a position to keep doing Clomid-assisted cycles for awhile.  It looks like it's taken some people here 9 or 10 or 11 tries to get a BFP, so that gives me hope.  I've only tried a few times, so I'm not giving up yet!

#378 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Bedtime story y'all,

Once upon a Wednesday I got home at 9 am from a 12 hour shift at work, got a beautiful, shiny positive OPK and slept for 3 hours before going for orienation at my new job.  Sara and I ran over half of Athens before we made it home.  No one fell off the bed and we started the process of our first at home IUI.  First, we pulled out all our goodies.  I lay on a book surrounded by speculum, caths, syringes, vial, 2 lamps, overhead light, flashlight, headlamp, nightvision goggles and camera.  How could we miss?  The signs lined up perfectly!  The speculum insertion was tricky.  After about 20 attempts, the os was visualized and photographed*.  Then I coughed.  Speculum projectiles are fascinating.  After a few more speculum games, the sperm was aspirated into the syringe.  While carefully lining everything up, Sara contaminated the magic cath from Max.  With the lucky cath laid across my womb for, well, luck, we tried again**.  Somehow the second cath was contaminated within moments.  I laid a second lucky cath across my belly and got ready again.  Third time is a charm!  Catheter advanced partway, some sperm was injeced, further advancement, YES!  Sara bravely filled me with sperm until OUR FIRST PREGNANCY SYMPTOM!  She had to leave the room to barf!  Speculum remained while I tried to figure out the locking mechanism blindly.  "You OK?"  She was and a little cough/tug rendered the speculum at my mercy once again.

*I couldn't believe Sara is a professional.  My camera is not her specailty, tho.

**word comma word comma word, comma word, that can't be a real sentance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After we insem in the morning, I work 14 hours tomorrow and the next day, then 12 hour night-shifts each of Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday.  I don't think I'll have much time to obsess for a few days.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#379 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 07:54 PM

Seraf~ I'm wetting myself laughing at your bedtime story! That's amazing. I SO hope it happens now so that you can write it in the baby book.

Brite~ That's another really good sign, I believe. That's what I had.       Massive cramps 12dpo, then really ridiculous amounts of lotiony/creamy cm.  Keep peeing, I think the dog might be onto something....

Escher~ What a great due date.  I'm so excited for you! I agree, come on over to the Q&P and tell us when you start barfing ;)

Starling~ You too! Don't let the October DDC   hog you!  I'm sorry your work's making you ill. I can only imagine what kind of smells you encounter. 

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

#380 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 10:10 PM

KellySF: To clarify about the Clomid: yes, they do usually change things up after 5 or 6 cycles on it.  Thinning of the uterine lining is one of the side effects, which can be seen via ultrasound if your being monitored.  With my daughter, I had three unmedicated cycles and four with Clomid (50mg x 2 and 100mg x 2).  Then I got pregnant.

This time around, I have had two failed IUI's with 50mg of Clomid, then a two-cycle break.  This cycle I started back with 100mg Clomid and will hopefully inseminate Thursday!  I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I get a BFP before we have to ditch the Clomid and try something else.

Mama (37) to a sweet 4-year-old daughter, a baby girl born 1/18/12 and wife to a fantastic woman.

#381 of 583 Old 02-15-2011, 11:55 PM

Seraf- Your insem story was so Magical and Hilarious LOL!! I am with Library I can't wait for that story to go into your baby book! goodvibes.gif

Library- Thank you so much for your continued words of encouragement they really help more than you know!  

AFM- Tomorrow is the official AF due date, so I am probably going to be holding my breath all day to see if she shows up. Luckily DP and I set a date for the wedding today, so now my brain has switched into Wedding Planning mode and I am hoping that takes some of the edge and focus off "The Waiting Game". We have an appt scheduled Monday with a Midwife in town for our initial consultation. And to think a few months ago I was 100% content with being a "free-birther" HA! DP would have bet our whole savings on how quickly I would change my mind once we started trying again lol! 

Me afro.jpg (26), DW dreads.gif (26) Mommies to Riley Sophia hearts.gif born 6/12, my Angel DD angel.gif Imani Joi, and 1 furbaby dog2.gif... On our Quest for Hope om.gif

#382 of 583 Old 02-16-2011, 06:40 AM

I'll respond to everyone later (Seraf: What a great story!), but I wanted to let you all know that I found out that my hcg yesterday (12dpo) was 85.3 and my progesterone was 15.1. I'll go in tomorrow for a repeat. I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed that the hcg will double! fingersx.gif

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#383 of 583 Old 02-16-2011, 07:05 AM

escher, that's a great number for 12DPO!!! joy.giffingersx.gif for a nice doubling number!!!

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#384 of 583 Old 02-16-2011, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
AMom—Dildocam is not something I’m looking forward to. I told DP about it this weekend and there was a total look of shock on her face that it even existed. Also, there’s a difference between this site and wikianswers. Good for you for standing your ground!

Max-- hug2.gif I’m sorry you’re so down. I’m also holding a lot of hope for your IVF cycle, but it’s been a long, hard road, I know. hug2.gif

Krista—good to know. My cycle is really predictable, but I wasn’t sure (well, am still not sure) if Clomid would mess it up somehow. I guess I’ll jump off that bridge when I get to it. And you have lots of time to get good at being pregnant!

Starling—ugh. Those gloves smell kind of strange anyway, I can’t imagine with morning sickness, too!

Wehrli—I love your bump pic!

Seraf—congrats on your pregnancy symptoms—I hear early morning sickness is a really good sign! winky.gif And that sounds like it was quite the event! Hopefully you won’t have to do it again and this can be your story!

Brite—everything crossed! fingersx.giffingersx.giffingersx.gif Any news? Also, when is the date? I love wedding planning…

Escher—that’s the best baby ticker I’ve ever seen!

AFM—nothing new. General malaise has set in, but it’s hard to know if that’s because it’s 6DPO or Wednesday. And I’ve been obsessing about the fact that my temps, while biphasic and consistent, are lower than 98 degrees. Is there any reason why that would be a problem? I took my temp last night before bed and it was only 95.8 or so, which made me check to see that I still had a pulse. Does the low temp matter or should I not worry about it because it's always been low?

She's here! joy.gif
#385 of 583 Old 02-16-2011, 07:58 AM

We got up this morning for a nice and early insem because serafs temp was up! I had a much easier time putting our last lucky cath from max in, and just as I finished releasing the swim team I got an overwhelming (but not as bad as last nights) feeling that I was going to throw up. I dunno what my issue is ad why I felt so sick but I think my brain can't handle sticking things into my loved one (and if I screw it up it could make her sick or kill her as I kept getting reminded). I guess I was more nervous than I thought I was! Hopefully the next time we insem will be for me!

DP to Sara, two crazy kids running around, lil dude born 11-1-11babyf.gif and the new guy is home !! babyboy.gif  (5/2/12)

#386 of 583 Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehrli View Post

escher, that's a great number for 12DPO!!! joy.giffingersx.gif for a nice doubling number!!!

truedat.gif  So far, so good! 

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

#387 of 583 Old 02-16-2011, 09:13 AM

Qmama, I'm sending good thoughts to you that you won't have to do anymore Clomid cycles!  I've never had a problem with a thin lining on Clomid so that's good.  I guess I'll have to see what happens if/when I hit the 6-cycle mark with Clomid...

Escher, good numbers!!!  Crossing my fingers for you!

Seraf, your story cracked me UP!  Thanks for the humor and I really, really hope you get a BFP!

#388 of 583 Old 02-16-2011, 09:45 AM

Hi Everyone,

Kelly, AmandaHope, and Wehrli: Thanks for the crossed fingers. My first number last time (something like 1800 at 18dpo) was good too, so I don't put much faith in a nice initial number. But that time my numbers weren't doubling properly. Although clearly they must have been doubling nicely at some point to get to 1800 by 18dpo. Blah. I don't know. redface.gif Hopefully this time it all just works! Anyway, thanks for your good wishes.

SmilingSara: I'm glad that the second insem went well. I have my fingers crossed that the insems worked perfectly!

Isa: I don't think that lower temperatures in general are a problem (some people just seem to run warmer than other people), but 95.8 does seem low. Had you recently had something cold to drink, or washed your mouth with cold water? Library never hit 98 the cycle she got pregnant. I have my fingers crossed for good news for you! fingersx.gif Thanks for saying that my ticker looks ok. I had been worrying that the dancing broccoli was too much, so I'm glad to hear that you like it.

Brite: Any news? I have my fingers firmly crossed for you! fingersx.gif

Seraf: I agree with everyone else--I hope you get to tell that story to your child as their conception story. orngbiggrin.gif

Library and Wehrli: Thanks for the invite over to Q&P, but I just don't feel ready yet. innocent.gif

Starling: I'm sorry you're having so much gagging! I hope that decreases for you soon. But it does sound like a good sign for a healthy baby! Will you be doing an ultrasound anytime soon?

#389 of 583 Old 02-16-2011, 10:02 AM

I sure do hope we can someday tell that Insem story to our baby! It sure would make something funny for us to tell at bed time! I'm feeling really good that seraf is going to get pregnant this cycle! I think inseminating the day after valentines day and the day before our two year anniversary sure does make it a lucky time and the perfect time for a baby to be made!

DP to Sara, two crazy kids running around, lil dude born 11-1-11babyf.gif and the new guy is home !! babyboy.gif  (5/2/12)

#390 of 583 Old 02-16-2011, 12:35 PM

Good afternoon friends! Thank you for letting me stick around ;)

AmandaHope - I'm a little late with this but YAY FOR A GIRL! How exciting! And I can't wait to meet you at the roller derby smile.gif

Library - thank you for your nice words - I thought mourning was a little silly but I totally needed to do it. Also, DW and I watched "The Great Sperm Race" last night - I had seen you recommend it to someone else - how fascinating! I love how they did it. We were both amazed that anyone ever manages to get pregnant with all of those potential ways to die. Then my head almost exploded thinking about how *I* was the one that made it! 

Isa - your exotic fruit sounds amazing! And thank you for the commiseration - I feel like I have been ready forever! I know that waiting is the responsible thing to do - and you're right now we will just be MORE ready! Derby is on our calendar! 

AmandaMom - I hope you're right! She had those two interviews on Monday and has another one tomorrow! Maybe we won't have to wait long after all  And good for you for standing your ground with the doctor! I am proud of you thumb.gif

Max - I'm so sorry you're having a hard time right now. I wish I could hug you for real. hug2.gif

SwtRainbow - thanks for the hug! And congratulations on your engagement - how exciting!!! Any news today??

Escher - it is a fun board! I don't think I could have stayed away even if I tried :) And I agree that your ticker is AWESOME.

seraf/Sara - I love your story - too funny!

wave.gif to everyone else!

AFM - So even though we are waiting to start we are still doing everything possible to be ready. Since I got a smiley the night before last I thought it might be a good time to go on a cervix finding mission last night. Cue hilarity! The headlamp made me giggle the whole time. And she couldn't find it! I don't know what we were doing wrong - I think the speculum might be too small. She'd be down there all serious and then I'd here "I see it!" followed by "oh wait, maybe not." I didn't think it would be that hard! 

Kara (31) in luxlove.gif with DW Nicki (28) + dog2.gifOllie & Lola. TTC #1 - September, October, November 2011 & May 2012 - bfn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page