How do you celebrate Mother's Day? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wondering what others usually do. I'm not sure how to do it with two mommies. I kinda pictured a day with a card or small gift and then getting to do whatever you want. Maybe lunch, a massage, or something nice, maybe be pampered a bit and not have to do much of the parenting "work" for the day. So how do you do that with two moms? lol It doesn't seem like it would be that much of a special day if it's celebrating both parents. I wanted to take Father's Day as my Mother's Day but DW doesn't like that idea and doesn't want us to celebrate Father's Day at all. We both very much identify as mom, so...what do you all do?

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#2 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I get Mother's Day and DP gets Father's Day.  Works for us.  DP calls it 'Alternative Parent' day.  Last year I got her a stamped silver medallion necklace that said "Esmé's Babe since 01.31.09" ... she loved it!  It's not the perfect solution at all.  I'd love to hear other folks' ideas!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#3 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 01:42 PM

Hmmm.. hadn't even thought about it yet! We'll chat about it and get back to you! :)

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#4 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 01:42 PM

We both very much identify as moms, so father's day wouldn't really work for either of us.  What we do is hire a sitter so we can go out together and have "us" time, whether that be going out to dinner, mountain biking, hiking, etc. 

Professional nerd, DP to Megan and mommy to 3 y/o Bam Bam . TTC since January '09.  Welcomed our new babes May 22, 2011. Now living life in the NICU one day at a time.
#5 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 01:46 PM

And one more thought - my partner and I always wonder why there can't be several parents/guardians days throughout the year  instead of these days valorizing one family form.

Professional nerd, DP to Megan and mommy to 3 y/o Bam Bam . TTC since January '09.  Welcomed our new babes May 22, 2011. Now living life in the NICU one day at a time.
#6 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 01:49 PM

lurk.gif

i'm curious to see what everyone has to say... i think we may choose not to celebrate such a day. we are not fans of "holidaze" in general.

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#7 of 11 Old 03-07-2011, 07:40 PM

Generally, we just have a regular day. And usually chuckle at all of the folks who think it must be an EXTRA SPECIAL day for us. Yes, it's extra special being moms to two amazing kids and being moms together. But there's really nothing different when there's not one person to shower the other with extra goodness. Which is fine. I, too, find the whole concept a bit weird and certainly limiting and heteronormative.

justrose13 likes this.

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#8 of 11 Old 03-08-2011, 05:02 AM

I get Mother's Day and my partner, who goes by Duda, gets Duda's Day on the day everyone else celebrates fathers. That said, we don't really *do* anything besides maybe exchange cards and tell each other how much we love one other. You could always pick a random day or days on the calendar to celebrate one or the other of you and make it a family tradition. That's what traditions are afterall--something somebody made up and everyone else keeps up. :)

mom to DS born 5/29/09, DS #2 born 5/2/2011, partner to a PhD (finally!), pleased to be co-sleepin', lovin' our 3 cats and 4 dogs and raisin' our LOs vegetarian.
#9 of 11 Old 03-08-2011, 07:33 PM

I get Mother's Day and my partner, who is trans, gets Father's Day. I agree that ideally we'd have a non-gendered "Parents Day," but in the meantime, this works for us.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#10 of 11 Old 03-08-2011, 08:31 PM

DP and I both "celebrated" mother's day last year because we both identify as mothers. For us, it's a day to celebrate motherhood, being a mom and in the future, for our child(ren) to celebrate us! I don't really feel like it has anything to do with one's family make up. It's just a mom thing, single mom, mom with dad, two moms, all kinds of moms. If someone doesn't identify as a mom then no reason to celebrate! Same thing with father's day. We won't celebrate it because DD doesn't have a father. However, a lot of kids do so I think it's a great day for them and their families to celebrate fathers!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#11 of 11 Old 03-08-2011, 10:19 PM

we don't really celebrate mothers day, except to recognize our own mothers. My parents pretty much ruined our first mothers day as DS mothers, so I've avoided it ever since. Plus it's close, sometimes on, my birthday, and my mom's birthday is just before mine, so the whole event kind of sucks. I'm okay with not celebrating. Once the kids are old enough I think it would be most appropriate for them to do something for us, or just to spend a day how DW and I request. Other than that it's kind of blah.

Me: almost 40, RN DW: 38, CPD Boy: born 4/2/2007 Girl: born 8/23/2010
Queer Parenting since 2007

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page