Resource List, ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 03-29-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought you guys could use one. Please feel free to share with me on this thread what you would like to see stickied at the top of your forum. 

Here's what I have so far:

List your Queer TTC Success Story

Thats it lol.gif

So, hit me with your links ladies! 

#2 of 27 Old 03-29-2011, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Or, maybe most of you feel that a list like that isn't necessary? I know this is a tight knit forum so maybe there isn't enough traffic to warrant a Resource list? I don't want to push my OCD ideas onto you all, for example ideas like, every forum needs a Resource list lol.gif

I'm open to thoughts on the mater smile.gif

#3 of 27 Old 03-29-2011, 02:06 PM

I'd still like a resource list.  Does anyone else remember what they really liked/found useful before the upgrade?

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#4 of 27 Old 03-29-2011, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoegirl007 View Post

I'd still like a resource list.  Does anyone else remember what they really liked/found useful before the upgrade?

Good I'm glad you caught this thread. I meant to link you :)

#5 of 27 Old 03-29-2011, 05:01 PM

I think a resource list is a great idea.

I wonder if there is a way to include a frequently asked questions section (could we make it a wiki so that lots of people could contribute answers to each question?). I feel like we often get new people at Q&C who have questions (as I did when I arrived!), and it would be great if there were somewhere we could refer them for answers to some of the more common ones (i.e. how to figure out when you ovulate, what tests to consider getting, known donors vs. sperm banks, people's experiences on clomid, how many IUIs to do per cycle, etc.).

Also, one of the things that used to be stickied was thread on people's experiences with different sperm banks. I wonder if we could get that included. I don't remember the title, but I'm sure someone does.

Thanks for organizing this!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#6 of 27 Old 03-29-2011, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I'd love both of those things--the one that I keep wishing we had was someplace that breaks down what all of the different meds are, when you take them, what they do, how people feel about them, anything you should or shouldn't do while on them, etc etc. I find that I do a lot of going back over old threads to see the answers--if I can find them.

Also, a nice thought might be a list of external resources--books, organizations, websites, local clubs, etc. That might be beyond the scope of this site, but it would be really great.

Also, also--Hi MoonWillow--welcome! smile.gif

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#7 of 27 Old 03-29-2011, 05:34 PM

I'm new and not entirely sure what a resource list look like, but I noticed the first idea out there included TTC stories. What about non-bio mom stories both in pregnancy and beyond? I know our family would benefit from something like that. Thanks!

Mama with my beautiful wife blowkiss.gifenjoying our new little love, R, born October 16, 2011.
#8 of 27 Old 03-29-2011, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Oh boy multi quote isn't working for me (I'm sure it's user error lol.gif). 

Frequently asked Questions would definitely be something I'd include on the list.

Outside resources are ok!

Any old threads that you think are a great reference would be awesome. 

Julietea8, welcome! Sorry though because I don't mod Pregnancy and Beyond. Please feel free contact the mods that do though! Not everyone will share my OCD for the Resource list though lol.gif

Let me look into the Wiki thing. It sounds great but I'm a tad undereducated about it at the moment. 

Sperm bank links would be ok I think but not the reviews because there is a separate forum for that.

Everything else sounds great! Please bombard me with links! 

Thanks for the warm welcome! 

#9 of 27 Old 03-29-2011, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the list I made for Health and Healing if you'd like to see what I mean by a Resource list :)

#10 of 27 Old 03-29-2011, 06:37 PM

Here are some links !!

http://www.colage.org/

http://www.mombian.com/

http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/parenting.aspx

http://www.nllfs.org/

http://www.therainbowbabies.com/

http://glbtrt.ala.org/rainbowbooks/rainbow-books-lists

http://familieslikemine.com/

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

#11 of 27 Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you SO much! heartbeat.gif

#12 of 27 Old 03-29-2011, 06:54 PM

I'm not sure if this would be what you're looking for, but a list of queer parenting blogs. And a list of books appropriate for queer families.

I was confused about your response to Julietea8. It seems to me that stories of non-bio moms in pregnancy and beyond would be much more appropriate in a queer parenting forum than in a pregnancy and beyond forum. We have unique issues that are addressed more from a queer POV than a general preg and beyond POV. Most of us are in situations where we have been culturally raised with the expectation of being the birthing Mother, the primary care giver, and then we have to navigate the waters of parenting a baby we didn't incubate and sharing Motherhood with the person whom society sees as The Mother, leaving a lot of Well Who the H*ll am I questions out there. Maybe I just misunderstood but I would like to see non-bio mom stories, birth and beyond. It's a big issue in these parts.

Me: almost 40, RN DW: 38, CPD Boy: born 4/2/2007 Girl: born 8/23/2010
Queer Parenting since 2007
#13 of 27 Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Infiltrator View Post

I'm not sure if this would be what you're looking for, but a list of queer parenting blogs. And a list of books appropriate for queer families.

I was confused about your response to Julietea8. It seems to me that stories of non-bio moms in pregnancy and beyond would be much more appropriate in a queer parenting forum than in a pregnancy and beyond forum. We have unique issues that are addressed more from a queer POV than a general preg and beyond POV. Most of us are in situations where we have been culturally raised with the expectation of being the birthing Mother, the primary care giver, and then we have to navigate the waters of parenting a baby we didn't incubate and sharing Motherhood with the person whom society sees as The Mother, leaving a lot of Well Who the H*ll am I questions out there. Maybe I just misunderstood but I would like to see non-bio mom stories, birth and beyond. It's a big issue in these parts.

Thank you for pointing that out because I think *I* misunderstood. I was thinking that she was asking for something specifically to be placed in a forum that wasn't mine. oops!

ETA: Thanks for the blog idea. I need to check on that with admin. 

#14 of 27 Old 03-29-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I've got a working list going heresmile.gif

We'll still keep this thread open for the discussion and links. 

#15 of 27 Old 03-29-2011, 07:13 PM

I'll think more, but for starters, here is the American Library Association's list of Rainbow Books--books intended for young readers with a GLBTQ perspective. New ones are added every year, and they're broken into general age categories: http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/rts/glbtrt/rainbow/bibliographies.cfm

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#16 of 27 Old 03-30-2011, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyisa View Post

I'll think more, but for starters, here is the American Library Association's list of Rainbow Books--books intended for young readers with a GLBTQ perspective. New ones are added every year, and they're broken into general age categories: http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/rts/glbtrt/rainbow/bibliographies.cfm

Got it thanks!

I moved your post over to the discussion thread. The other thread is supposed to be locked. Its obviously not though. lol.gif

#17 of 27 Old 04-02-2011, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by julietea8 View Post

I'm new and not entirely sure what a resource list look like, but I noticed the first idea out there included TTC stories. What about non-bio mom stories both in pregnancy and beyond? I know our family would benefit from something like that. Thanks!

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. I misunderstood your question the first time and I am sorry for that. What you suggested would be fine for the Resource list. I am not sure if we have a thread going (even an old one) that would resemble what you were suggesting (that I could link to on the Resource list) but you are certainly welcome to start a thread like that and I'd be happy to stick it on our list.

Or maybe some of our senior members know of an existing thread.  

Does that make sense?

#18 of 27 Old 04-02-2011, 09:05 AM

here's a link to that thread:
http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1182185/list-your-queer-ttc-success-story

thanks for adding!!

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#19 of 27 Old 04-02-2011, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehrli View Post

here's a link to that thread:
http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1182185/list-your-queer-ttc-success-story

thanks for adding!!

Oh thank you! I do already have this one on the list though. I wonder if there is a thread about beyond the TTC point. But, maybe thats just too general..... *sigh*    

#20 of 27 Old 04-02-2011, 09:23 AM

ah, yes... now that i go back and read, i should have seen that you already have this one and you were referring to one that some one else requested. i'm not sure if there's anything like that from the past few years... at least not that i can remember.

one should be started! smile.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#21 of 27 Old 04-02-2011, 09:33 AM

i think these used to be sticky:

genderqueer parent names

queer positive book list

#22 of 27 Old 04-02-2011, 09:38 AM

And, do you think it would be possible to divide the list into categories?  I know it would be easier to initially see discussion threads on Queer Parenting that are stickied to be distinct from other external resource lists.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#23 of 27 Old 04-02-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehrli View Post

ah, yes... now that i go back and read, i should have seen that you already have this one and you were referring to one that some one else requested. i'm not sure if there's anything like that from the past few years... at least not that i can remember.

one should be started! smile.gif

Feel free to lead the way! flowersforyou.gif

#24 of 27 Old 05-04-2011, 07:29 PM

I was just in an awesome class on lgbtq books for kids and teens and they mentioned the online literary magazine Rainbow Rumpus: www.rainbowrumpus.org. It's written for kids with queer parents and has lots on there: book reviews, coloring pages and activities for kids, plus stuff for teens and adults.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#25 of 27 Old 05-06-2011, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Got it! Thanks so much! love.gif

#26 of 27 Old 06-06-2011, 10:20 PM

I'd like to see a list and/or discussion of books for parents.  Anything queer friendly or books members have used from TTC and fertility to parenting issues like discipline and eating.  I went to the bookstore today and had to search through fertility books to see if any of them had anything substantial about DI or specifically queer issues.  I was greatly disappointed by the bible of a book called "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" that everyone seems so excited about.  IUI was only brought up on a few pages and I couldn't find anything about frozen sperm.  I went to the big library downtown one day a couple weeks ago and checked out:

"The Ultimate Guide to Pregnancy for Lesbians" by Rachel Pepper (read)

"A Donor Insemination Guide: Written By and For Lesbian Women" by Marie Mohler and Lacy Frazer (working on reading)

"Baby Steps: How Lesbian Alternative Insemination is Changing the World" by Amy Agigian (not read)

"Mommies, Daddies, Donors, Surrogates: Answering Tough Questions and Building Strong Familes" by Diane Ehrensaft (not read)

And one other one about ART and it's social and scientific impacts that I left at a friend's house a week ago, eek!  (it was really good what I got to, lots of information but not relevant to ttc)

With my gift card I bought "The Complete Organic Pregnancy" by Deirdre Dolan and Alexander Zissu (so I can freak out about all the toxins in the world...)

I have read or perused various parenting books as a professional nanny for the last 5 years and have lots more parenting books I could add to the list.

I'd love to know what other people have read!

#27 of 27 Old 06-07-2011, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennp85 View Post

I'd like to see a list and/or discussion of books for parents.  Anything queer friendly or books members have used from TTC and fertility to parenting issues like discipline and eating.  I went to the bookstore today and had to search through fertility books to see if any of them had anything substantial about DI or specifically queer issues.  I was greatly disappointed by the bible of a book called "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" that everyone seems so excited about.  IUI was only brought up on a few pages and I couldn't find anything about frozen sperm.  I went to the big library downtown one day a couple weeks ago and checked out:

"The Ultimate Guide to Pregnancy for Lesbians" by Rachel Pepper (read)

"A Donor Insemination Guide: Written By and For Lesbian Women" by Marie Mohler and Lacy Frazer (working on reading)

"Baby Steps: How Lesbian Alternative Insemination is Changing the World" by Amy Agigian (not read)

"Mommies, Daddies, Donors, Surrogates: Answering Tough Questions and Building Strong Familes" by Diane Ehrensaft (not read)

And one other one about ART and it's social and scientific impacts that I left at a friend's house a week ago, eek!  (it was really good what I got to, lots of information but not relevant to ttc)

With my gift card I bought "The Complete Organic Pregnancy" by Deirdre Dolan and Alexander Zissu (so I can freak out about all the toxins in the world...)

I have read or perused various parenting books as a professional nanny for the last 5 years and have lots more parenting books I could add to the list.

I'd love to know what other people have read!

Thank you! I've got these on the list. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumshoegirl007 View Post

And, do you think it would be possible to divide the list into categories?  I know it would be easier to initially see discussion threads on Queer Parenting that are stickied to be distinct from other external resource lists.

I'm so sorry but I must have overlooked this before. I just divided the Resource list into Websites/Books and Discussion threads. 

Thank you all! orngbiggrin.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page