Queer and Pregnant: April, May, and June - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 756 Old 04-30-2011, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
~NAK~
Escher, I think a cradle could work fine... we have a bassinet that we thought about using bedside but because of the height of our bed the co-sleeper works much better. there isn't much differences in the levels of the surfaces we sleep on so it make it a lot easier to get baby in and out safely while half asleep. it also makes reaching over to comfort him or check his diaper much easier. if the cradle you have is aprox bed level then I might give it a try... smile.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#302 of 756 Old 04-30-2011, 02:09 PM

Starling, yay for your house sale!  That is like crazy cool.  I would barf a few times for you if it would help in any way, but I don't think it will.  I'm curious about your DD, but the pics don't answer my questions.  Can I ask some?  Can I? Can I? Can I?  Kidding, my questions are more about embryo adoption than your DD specifically.  Like, does she basically have 2 KDs? Or are they unknown?  Do you do all the paperwork pre-transfer or post birth?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Happy birthday to your DP!

Imogen, I think I'm with you on the hell no, thing.  If baby could pee and poo, I would keep hir home and then just visit the ped at the earliest possible chance.  Or possibly just call and ask what the possibilities are and what to watch for (Ari had obviously female genetalia, but suspected hip dysplasia, we just phoned in and it took us a month to get her in, between the doctor being out of town and us being out of town.  She didn't have hip dysplasia but did have tortacolis.  I'm clearly a risk taker, tho.).

Escher, I was looking to see if a co-sleeper was bigger than a cradle and I stumbled upon this co-sleeping info.  I am probably going to forward it to the in-laws if they say anything about it.

This is the ever expanding bump.  Someone tried to pet it and I had to tell her, it's just fat, the fetus is only the size of a lime.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#303 of 756 Old 04-30-2011, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Ask away, Seraf

DD has two biological sisters, who are two- and four years older than she is.  Their two moms chose an anonymous donor, and used one of the womens' eggs, fertilized them with the donor sperm, and then the other woman carried the babies.  Makes sense?  So those two kids have the same genes as our DD.  DD has sort of a cousin-like relationship with those girls.  They all looked identical as infants, but as they're growing up, they're all blossoming into three very distinct personalities and don't even look all that much alike anymore.  I can actually see the egg-mama's dad's family in all three girls (her dad and my dad are friends so I know the whole family).

We did all the legal work before we were legally permitted to adopt the embryos in the first place.  At the time, it wasn't the done thing in Canada, so we set a lot of precedent while we went through the process.

And Happy Birthday to my DP indeed!  Here she is with her new Harley!

DSC_0109.JPG

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#304 of 756 Old 04-30-2011, 06:07 PM

Starling, your DP looks pretty pleased about her new bike.  Thanks for the answers, I like to know stuff.  Also, I'm lanolizing soakers as I type this, if you want to PM me.  I have never shipped internationally, but they're pretty light.

Escher, I'm also making longies, finally.  I'm using a sweater and using multiple patterns because I'm, um, weird.  This one tells you how to figure out your own.  Katrina's is great for an actual pattern with measurements.  And step 3 of this tute shows the easier way to assemble baby pants from sleeves.  I personally don't felt stuff because, well, my kids aren't going to be wearing soaking we diapers (I like to know the moment they're wet without it hitting the floor) and I don't like the extra stiffness.  

#305 of 756 Old 04-30-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Starling: That looks like one happy birthday dyke.  And the bike is beautiful. Congrats on making a dream of hers come true--was she really surprised? 

Seraf: Your baby bump is unmistakable, even if it isn't exactly "baby" yet.  You look great--and happy. 

Cejae: How did the repeat testing go today? 

AFM: Well, as we already suspected, a child therapist confirmed today that DD has OCD.  Part of me is relieved to have some explanation for some of her (and our) struggles over the past few years and that we are figuring this out now, rather than in her teen years; part of me is deeply sad that she (and we) will be struggling with this for the foreseeable future; I  feel guilty (probably irrational) and scared but also hopeful that will some education and support, we'll be able to help her be more comfortable and happy with herself and her life.  Ugh--this parenting thing is serious business!

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

#306 of 756 Old 05-01-2011, 07:31 AM

Starling - That is one hawt bike you bought your DP!!!  What an incredible gift.  I recall that you earlier mentioned you bought it with your book advance.  What kind of book are you writing?  And, what kind of books have you written?

LibraryLady - Alice is absolutely precious.  I especially loved the pic of the three of you together.  It really captured the natural beauty of family life.

Seraf - That's a wee baby bump and definitely not a pooch!!!

AmandaHope - I'm sorry to hear about your DD diagnosis.  As a parent to two kids with LDs and one with behavioural issues, while I'd rather they not have to deal with any of this, once we actually got a firm diagnosis it really gave us something to work with so that we could best help our kids and advocate appropriately for their needs.  It's a total mixed bag and I can relate to how you're feeling right now.

Escher - That totally sucks that your MW appt got canceled.  I hope that you can reschedule soon and get the reassurance you need.  On co-sleeping, I thought we'd have a family bed and DW was insistent that we not have a family bed.  We purchased a pack'n'play to put in our room - baby was to sleep in the pack'n'play right beside me so that I could easily get to her for feedings and put her back when done.  It never worked out that way.  She's been in the bed with us since the beginning and now DW prefers it that way.  The baby is a heat sinking missile and is always cuddled right up next to me.  I try to put her to sleep away from me - like a foot - and in less than a minute she's snuggled right back up.  I never worry about her falling out of our queen-sized bed (at least not until she starts to roll) and I'm so aware of where she is that I don't fear rolling on her.  I only get concerned that she gets too hot at night.  I'm trying to counter that by keeping a fan on and putting her to bed in a diaper only. 

2ez - I've been thinking lots about you with all of those tornadoes in the news.  I hope that you and your family are all okay. 

Imogen -  Hope your baby is staying put and you're doing well.

Sorry to anyone else I've missed.  I've been reading along but haven't had time to post.

AFM - We're doing well here.  Despite the tongue tie issues which we've decided to leave as is (too much risk with the nature of her posterior tie), baby is a breastfeeding champ!  It's not always the most comfortable latch, but she's gaining weight like crazy - we think she'll hit the 9lb mark this week! 

I'm really looking forward to beginning to have some 'me' time.  I haven't really wanted to be away from the baby, but I need to do something by myself.  I'm so looking forward to being able to hike and get my butt back to the gym.  I feel so out of shape and action.  Every time I even try to go for something as simple as a walk, it either rains or the baby gets super fussy.  I'd really like to get back into my pre-pregnancy clothes asap.  It's getting really old to continually hike up my pregnancy jeans.

To end this post with some cuteness, here is Addi's one month pic that we took last Sunday.  I can't believe she'll be 6 weeks old on Thursday!!!

DSC_0171.JPG

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#307 of 756 Old 05-01-2011, 05:43 PM

Hey ladies~ I'll have to remember that NAK thingie. It'll come in handy late at night for sure. 

Thanks for all the kind words about my family and my Tiny Alice.  DP says she looks just like me and makes the same facial expressions, which is pretty funny. I do agree we have the same 'big mouth', so maybe I'll see even more of a resemblance as she grows.  I'm making a lot more milk now, and she's eating it as fast as I can get her up to the tit, so maybe she'll be growing properly by now.

Starling~ That's a sexy dyke on a bike. How did you give it to her~ like, park it outside and take her out to it?  Take her to the showroom to pick it out?  Are you allowed to ride in your delicate condition? What a wonderful gift to be able to give. Giving a good prezzie is the best feeling. Congrats on your house sale too~ that must be a record!

Gumshoe~ What a cutie!!!!!!  I recognize that wide-eyed look from Alice, though she's not that big quite yet.  That's  a great pic, though. I love the yellow legwarmers.

AHope~ It must be a relief to get a diagnosis even if that's a hard one to get. But you're right, at least you're well armed with info now and can seek out options.  Big hugs to you and your DD. It can't be easy for any of you!

Cejae~ How's it going?  What fresh hell are you adding to this pregnancy? 

[oh hey, guess who's crying!? So I'm NAK now....]

Seraf~  Awesome bump!  And I love your 'that's just fat' response.  

Wehrli~ We have the same co-sleeper and  we love it.  I also can't imagine not being able to check her breathing every few minutes.  i can't quite get my boob to stretch all the way from the bed, though...

Escher, Christy~ How you doin'?   

Have we any new members? I havent even checked QC in forever...

Had a lovely outing yesterday~pushed Alice in her stroller to a local music and arts fest.  Lots of sunshine and outdoor activity.   Bumped into my mean girl boss who couldn't say enough nice things about Alice.  I smiled along but am still so glad I don't have to be around her.

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

#308 of 756 Old 05-01-2011, 06:17 PM

Amanda, when it rains it pours, eh?  I'm sorry your daughter is having difficulties.  I'm glad you'll now have more tools available to help her through it. 

Gumshoe, cute cute baby.  It took me forever to figure out what her shirt said.

Library, yay for getting out.  There are lots of new grads over in QTTC, they just don't seem interested in coming over here to play with us.

#309 of 756 Old 05-02-2011, 09:50 AM

Hey everyone, just a brief update to say that I think today might be the day!

#310 of 756 Old 05-02-2011, 10:24 AM

Hi Everyone,

Imogenlily: Eek! So exciting! I hope that labor goes smoothly and that you get to meet your baby soon!

Library: That sounds like a lovely outing to the music and arts fest. I'm sorry you had to see your mean girl boss, but I'm glad that she was sweet about Alice!

Gumshoe: What a fantastic one month picture! Addi is darling. I'm glad that breastfeeding is going so well! And thanks for the advice on family bedding.

AmandaHope: I'm sorry that you're having to deal with OCD, but I'm glad that you've gotten a definite explanation about what is going on. Good luck as you figure out next steps for helping your DD.

Seraf: Thanks for the longies patterns! I'm going to try making some of those this summer. They look doable. Cute picture! You have a great bump going there.

Starling: That's a great picture! Your DP looks pleased. Was she shocked or had she suspected what her present would be?

Wehrli: It's good to hear that the useful thing is having the babe at about the same level as the bed. I'm not sure that the cradle will work for that. Maybe I'll just get a co-sleeper. Or try to figure out how to sidecar a crib. Thanks for telling me about your experience!

AFM: I'm not really feeling pregnant these days, which is nerve-wracking, but I hear that this may be normal for the beginning of the second trimester. Still no movement. I lie in bed and try to imagine movement and I STILL feel nothing! I'm considering switching from my midwives to some other OB care provider, mostly because I just feel frustrated that they keep having to reschedule or cancel my appointments. I just want to hear the heartbeat! I wish I had a job like Starling where I could sneak a few minutes with a doppler. I sound quite complainy. I'm sorry.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#311 of 756 Old 05-02-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Escher: Don't apologize--you are still in a tough stage of the pregnancy, for sure.  Even with this second pregnancy, I didn't feel movement until 15 weeks, and even then it was faint and unpredictable for weeks.  And at 17 weeks I kind of freaked out about not feeling pregnant. Just as with my last pregnancy, it all gets great for me around 20 weeks.  So hang in there.  I completely understand your frustration with having to reschedule m/w appts.  That's a bummer, when you already have to go so long between appts and could really use the reassurance. 

Imogen: ELVs coming your way! goodvibes.gif I'm so thrilled that you made it to term and will hopefully get your homebirth.  I hope the labor goes relatively quickly and well and that you have your little one in your arms soon. 

Library: That sounds like a lovely outing!

Gumshoe: What a great pic!  Amazing she is already over a month old.

Seraf: Yup, raining and pouring.  But I'm thinking that in a few weeks, when classes are over and we can plant the garden and enjoy some nice weather...everything will get better.  Thanks.

AFM: No more bad news today, I promise (knock on wood).  DP and I are enjoying the birth class that we ended up doing.  Yesterday, we each drew pictures of our ideal births, and it was really sweet and motivating.  DD saw them and got all excited about being at the birth (she hadn't been sure before).  She'll still have plenty of options at the time, of course, but I'm happy that she wants to be there.  And she had a great morning, so that helps a lot. 

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

#312 of 756 Old 05-02-2011, 01:47 PM

Amanda- I am glad your birthing class was a good experience, I think drawing a picture of your ideal birth sounds sweet. I am positive that mine would be undistinguishable and kind of ridiculous looking. I work with kids that have autism and I have been asked several times what it is I am tryingto draw. If a 4 year old can't figure it out you know its bad! I bet it will be so neat to be able to include your DD in the birth this time.

Gumshoe-Cute pic! I am glad nursing is going better,I bet soon you will have the toughest nips on the block!

Escher- Don't worry about complaining, pregnancy is tough, esp after you have suffered a m/c. I ended up at my MW office at 17 weeks to make them do a doppler just because I was feeling paranoid. After I heard the whoosh whoosh I felt much better and was able to wait to feel the kicks.

eraf- Cute bump, I love the look of pride! How was the zoo? It was a little chilly but I hopeyou had fun. By the time I got your text we were both in dreamland. Lennon's bday is tomorrow (so proud and sad all at once!) and we were going to go to Cosi but it is closed! Ugh so now I am not too sure what to do with him. It will be cold and rainy so the zoo is out too. He likes the bounce house but I won't be able to participate. I guess we will see.

Imogen: Yay!! Come on lil baby! Hope your birth is just like you envisioned.

FM- My computer is irritating me. Chels really wants to do a 3d ultrasound ( I had one with lennon but I wasn't as closely monitored) I have had 5 ultrasounds so far and I have 2 more scheduled! So I don't think it is nec plus costly. However this is technically her first (we started dating after I had Lennon) and I want to support any decision that makes her feel connected. I hesitate to have ANOTHER ultrasound but I guess after 5 of them, what is one more? Opinions?  As I stated above, the most amazing person that I have ever met is having his 3rd birthday tomorrow.He is requesting a pink cake, pink balloon, and a pink hat. haha.I love him so. A couple pics below. The 1st is the day I met his gentle soul. the 2nd is this weekend cuddling and the 3rd is him being goofy!260.jpgcuddles.jpg175.JPG

A

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
#313 of 756 Old 05-03-2011, 04:08 AM

Imogen enjoy!

Amanda, I'm dying to get the garden in. Osha napped through Ari's birth, he must have been traumatized by waking up to a sister because that was his last nap.  My sister watched Osha's birth at age 11 and she wasn't stressed at all (of course, I'm not a screamer or anything).

Escher, I don't really feel pregnant, either, but what are you expecting to feel?  I think I started to feel pregnant with the first 2 when people started asking me when I was due.  So 3rd trimester?  Have you tried talking to the baby?  That kind of helps me feel more connected.  I also love that I can now feel my uterus (there's a kid in there!?), you might try that.  Also, perhaps if you call the midwives up and say something like, "I know this is a low risk pregnancy, but with my history I feel anxious.  Since y'all have cancelled on me the last 2 appointments, I was wondering if one of you could just pop by on one evening this week when you're in the neighborhood?"  They may say sure or they may set you up for a soon appointment or they may say something that either calms you down or cements your desire to change care providers.  Oh, speaking of which, can you just have 2 care providers?  I mean, you could have complimentary care, so you get double appointments until you feel done with that.  Oh, and on feeling movement, I only feel it so early because I'm a freak of nature.  And it's like flying, if you think about it, you can't do it.  If I focus, I can feel my pulse in my descending aorta but no kicks.  If i'm reading, driving or watching a movie (or set a laptop right on top of her) I can feel more.

Yellow, Happy birthday to Lennon!  No opinion on the ultrasound thing.  I think we go against a lot of our own wishes to appease our partners sometimes (I'm dead meat for saying that, aren't I?).  We really just have to decide how to navigate that one, I guess.

AFM, second trimester today.  Happy as a clam.  

#314 of 756 Old 05-03-2011, 09:16 AM

Imogen ... Can't wait to hear an update! dust.gif

AmandaH ... That's some Big News about your DD's diagnosis.  But from what I can tell about the kind of mama you are from your posts here, I think she's perfectly situated in the perfect family for her.  Aware, mindful, strong, conscientious mamas to a bright, inquisitive, busy daughter.  I know you'll become as 'armed' as possible with information and strategies.  All hail Mighty AmandaH!

Oh, and I was going to mention that my friend's seven- and five-year-old girls were home and awake off and on while my friend gave birth in the bedroom.  The one girl (7) was right in there, bringing cool clothes and more towels and peering between her mother's legs while the baby crowned.  Coincidentally, she has OCD and Tourettes.  The younger sister hung back a little, asking a lot of questions, and was obviously more anxious about it.  Their mother laboured quickly and baby came before the midwife (that was the first baby I caught!) arrived, so I don't know how it would've gone had it been longer or louder. 

Escher ... What about going to a drop-in clinic just to get a doppler check?  Just be sure to ask at the front counter if they have a doppler.  I was *this* close to doing that when I ended up seconding the doppler in the trauma bay at the hospital.  I know how anxious I get/am about the well being of the baby, so I completely understand the need for concrete confirmation that all is well. 

Yellow ... Happy Birthday, Lennon!   What a cutie patootie!  On the subject of 3D u/s ... I find them super creepy and more than a little disturbing.  I don't want that muddy, stringy, goopy image as the image of the baby in my head.  I know that lots of people love them, but I'm not a fan.  I'd skip it!  And as you say, it's yet one more u/s, so there's that too.

AFM:  DP's birthday was awesome!  I told her about the Harley a few days before, so she could pick one.  She's ecstatic about it!  I'm feeling more flutters, but will feel a lot better when the real kicks start.  We have our anatomy scan at the end of May, and not another MW appointment until after that, so this is another looooong haul where I'm depending on the baby to make me feel better by moving.   

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#315 of 756 Old 05-03-2011, 09:17 AM

Gumshoe ... meant to add that I LOVE the pic!  How time flies! 

#316 of 756 Old 05-03-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Starling: Thank you for your kind, insightful words about DD.  They really matter, and I appreciate it.  SO GLAD that your DP was ecstatic--she should be!  What an awesome gift.  I hope your little flutters pick up soon.  Now that I'm getting full on kicks, those flutters seem quite subtle in retrospect.  But they are still evidence of your growing, thriving little bean.  I just bought a fetal stethoscope on Amazon for $15.  They don't work until around 28 weeks, but I can't wait to be able to listen in without bothering the babe with a doppler or u/s. 

MizYellow:  Happy 3rd b-day to your little guy!  He looks wonderful--peaceful and creative and happy.  I hope you had a fabulous day together.

Seraf: Hooray for the second trimester and for being happy as a clam.  That is a great feeling (lucky clams, I suppose...). 

AFM: Heartburn!  Whoa!  I really wanted that breakfast burrito this morning, but I'm paying for it now at work.  Vurp.  Eech.

And since I've been going on about DD, I thought I'd include a pic from our last FL trip:

DSCN0087.JPG

#317 of 756 Old 05-03-2011, 10:34 AM

Hi Everyone,

Imogen: I'm thinking about you and hoping you're getting to know your new little one now!

AmandaHope: I love hearing that maybe I'm still in a tough part of pregnancy. I feel guilty for not loving every minute of it right now, and it's so reassuring to think that things may get more fun soon. Thank you. I'm glad that you and your DP are enjoying the birth class. Your DD is darling!

Mizyellow: I can see how it would be hard to decide about the extra ultrasound. Good luck making that decision! Lennon is such a cutie.

Seraf: Congratulations on reaching the second trimester! I'm not expecting to feel anything in particular, but I'm just surprised at how normal (i.e. not pregnant) I feel right now. I still have some strange food issues and gagging going on, but it is SO much better than it was a month ago that it doesn't seem notable at all. I had been chatting with the babe, but I haven't as much in recent days. That's a good suggestion. I could have two care providers, but my midwives don't think it is necessary. I don't know.

Starling: A drop-in clinic would be smart. I wonder if the ones around here have dopplers. Could I just go in and ask them to listen, or would I have to claim I was bleeding or something? If the midwives cancel again tomorrow I'll definitely consider that. It's fun you are feeling more flutters!

Cejae: How are you doing? How is bed rest treating you?

2ez: How did your RE appointment go yesterday?

AFM: We got the midwife appointment rescheduled for tomorrow (and we found out that the reason we hadn't already heard from them to reschedule was because they were at two back-to-back births), so I'm feeling better about all of that. Hopefully they don't have to cancel tomorrow's appointment. Random fact: several weeks ago when I was trying to figure out when the second trimester started, I got five different answers: 12 weeks, 13 weeks, 13 weeks 3 days, 14 weeks, and 14 weeks 5 days. Today I am 14 weeks 5 days, so I guess I am now undoubtedly in the second trimester! Crazy.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#318 of 756 Old 05-03-2011, 10:37 AM

Amanda: That's such sweet picture of your daughter, and, as I remember from the pic you posted at 20 or so weeks, she looks a lot like you. I'm thinking of your family as you're all settling in to the new information. I've known two folks with OCD in my life... my mother, who has really let the effects of OCD overwhelm and limit her for most of her adult life even though she has so many options to work and live with it. And, a grandchild of an elderly couple I used to care for. This child had such a good support system to recognize and face her feelings as they came up, and she did wonderfully! Starling said it best... With "Aware, mindful, strong, conscientious mamas to a bright, inquisitive, busy daughter" she'll thrive.

Imogen: Sending you ELVs too!!! goodvibes.gifAm I too late... is that little one here?

Seref: Happy second!

MizYellow: I love those pics. Happy b-day to your little one. It's a hard decision. 3-D ultrasound images trouble me a bit, but my DW also feels connected during the visuals. During one she really felt the baby reach out to her.

Gumshoe: That is a sweet, sweet picture.

Starling: Congrats on many things... selling of the house, the co-op and a successful giving.

Library: The story of your outing had me thinking ahead to those sorts of days with my little one. Such a lovely thought. Glad you had such a good day, mean girl not withstanding.

AFM: Seems like a number of us are in a bit of a heartbeat dry spell. It's been 3 weeks since my last appointment, and I was feeling good, round and hormonal (this combination makes me feel like there's a baby growing in there). Also, my belly button is an outie now. While a little funny looking, it's a helpful thing to run my hand across and remember the constant changes. But, yesterday and today I've understood why folks buy those little belly wrap heartbeat monitors. Low-level doubt came up, and a strange side-stitch that is not round ligament pain (which also precipitated my early MC last time). But, I'm almost to 17 weeks (tomorrow but my signature line has frozen up on me and I can't seem to change it), so I can't imaging that the stitch means the same thing. Felt flutters for a couple of days in a row about 2 weeks ago. Nothing much since then, but I keep imagining and hoping that she just moved to a location where I can't feel anything. Take care all.

Mama with my beautiful wife blowkiss.gifenjoying our new little love, R, born October 16, 2011.
#319 of 756 Old 05-03-2011, 03:56 PM

2ez, What did the last ultrasound show?  And, if it’s any consolation I felt huge in the first trimester too and wondered what I would be feeling like now.  And while I do feel like a whale, it’s totally manageable.  It gets less striking as time goes on, I think.  

Mizyellow, I hear you on the feet my friend!  Nothing sexier than paw feet ;).  And the pictures of Lennon are adorable!  As for ultrasounds, I’m not one to talk, because I think we’ve had like 10 at this point.  With twins it’s ridiculous.  

Imogen, I didn’t get to weigh in on the intersex issue, but I will now.  I teach a lot about this stuff and the vast majority of intersex conditions entail no physical risks to the child.  Check out the Intersex Society of North America’s website.  They have a ton of great resources.  It might be able to help you sort out the serious and worrisome (problems with the urinary tract) from not at all worrisome ("enlarged" clitoris).

Funny sidenote about Dr. Sears.  First, I’m a fan of his books as well. Second, I grew up with a phone number 1 digit off of his in the same area code!  Both of our numbers ended in KIDS.  Needless to say, we got lots of calls from worried parents with screaming children in the background.

As for cosleeping, we used the Arms Reach and loved it.  We’ll use it with the twins until they move into a crib which we also have in our room.  It’s sort of modified cosleeping.  

Starling, the barfing, I can’t believe it’s still happening!  I’m so sorry.  And the motorcycle – wow!’

Seraf, love the picture!! 

Amandahope, wow, that’s some intense news about DD.  OCD is one of the most treatable psychological issues (esp w/out drugs), so that’s good news, I suppose?  But it has to be painful as a parent to watch your child grapple with such intense needs and compulsions.  You are an awesome parent and she’s going to turn out just fine, especially given how in tune you are with her particular needs.  Big hugs.  The pic of dd is adorable.  And the heartburn, ugh.  I’m so sorry.  Tums?  I live on those and Zantac.  Then again, I have a permanently sore throat at this point from stomach acid.  Yum.   

Gumshoe, I love the picture!  What a little muncher!

Escher, complain away – that’s what we are here for!  My DP barely felt pregnant through the first trimester.  I do hope you get to hear the heartbeat soon though.  That kind of anxiety is not fun at all.  

Um, Library, don’t ask what fresh hell I’m adding.  Because I have answers!  DS has now been felled with the stomach flu and a fever!  And we just got an email from his preschool saying that there has been a MRSA outbreak.  Honestly, we are just laughing at this point.  

Other than that, things are good here.  I’ve read three books in my first week on bedrest.  And finished the preface to my book (against doctors orders – bad CJ).  I try to plan something interesting for each day, a friend over for lunch, acupuncture appointment, midwife appointment – it’s exciting, I tell you. 

Professional nerd, DP to Megan and mommy to 3 y/o Bam Bam . TTC since January '09.  Welcomed our new babes May 22, 2011. Now living life in the NICU one day at a time.
#320 of 756 Old 05-03-2011, 05:02 PM

Cejae - You poor gal. I feel so bad for you being on bedrest. I hope it hasn't made you stir crazy. I had to admit to my RE yesterday that I've been "cheating" on my bedrest. She laughed and said, 'why am I not surprised by that?' But, I guess it's only somewhat cheating. I haven't been lifting anything or going up and down stairs, only going out for dinner or picking up DS from school. So, yes, more movement, but nothing too terrible. Plus, I've renamed mine to "couch rest." I was going bonkers being in our room all the time!

AmandaHope, Gumshoe & Yellow - LOVE the picts of the little ones. These are so fun!

Starling - More sickness? Good grief girl, how do you have anything left? Are you losing weight as a result?

Library & Wehrli - Hi! Post more picts of those sweet babies... winky.gif

Imogen - Sending lots of easy "baby pushes" your way. Hope you and the little one are doing well!

AFM - The appt went well, and my RE released me! She was so sweet and so compassionate yesterday. When she left the room she turned and said, 'remember to send us a pict!' Love her and the entire staff!

I've attached the latest pict of the bean below. I am *fairly* certain I see a nub, waving "hi mommies, big brother and fur puppy." Measuring well and the heartbeat was 179!!! I was amazed, yet again, at how much it's grown in only a week. The "other" news was that the hematoma is still there irked.gif. The best news is that it appears to be clotting itself off, and only contains a small portion of bleeding. It has decreased in size, so YIPPEE! joy.gifI will see my OB on Friday and get on her plan for what's next. With so much happening with this bleed and this being my first pregnancy, I've decided against a midwife this go round. While I am totally for the practice, there's something in me that feels a certain comfort with my OB and all we've been through on this journey from the fertility issues to the injectibles to the bleed and beyond. I wish I would have entertained the MF idea sooner, but I feel like I've gotten to the point with my OB that I can't turn back now (and really don't want to.) So...that's our plan. Because of the bleed, I've had a certain comfort level with the weekly u/s. I am not sure what I'll do every Monday at 10 am now? Ha!

Other news is that I am no longer on the Crinone vaginal suppositories. (I had a little dance party when she said to stop those yesterday.) I will continue on the progesterone for another 2 weeks. Hopefully all goes according to plan on its own after that. Im still feeling great, and I've had no morning sickness. (Sorry Starling.)

Everything in Memphis is flooded. We are lucky though as we are in the burbs and far enough away from the Mississippi River. I feel so badly for all those being affected on both sides of the river right now. It's just unbelievable. Last year at this time, Nashville was getting flooded. This year - Memphis. I hope none of you (or your loved ones) were affected by last weeks tornadoes and storms. It's such a terrible situation for everyone!

9wks3d.jpg

Me (35). DP to S (39) ; Mommy to DS: J (6), Furball Pupps: L (10) & S (1) dog2.gifand a new little baby boy arriving on/around Dec 2.1sttri.gif

#321 of 756 Old 05-03-2011, 05:56 PM

2ez: I'm thread crashing (unless I am actually pregnant, which I am until proven otherwise) to say I'm THRILLED you are doing better and have no more drives to the RE in the mornings and your couch rest is going well! I too see the nub waving to you guys and possibly even a thumbs up letting you they are doing well! CONGRATS GIRL! 

DP to Sara, two crazy kids running around, lil dude born 11-1-11babyf.gif and the new guy is home !! babyboy.gif  (5/2/12)

#322 of 756 Old 05-03-2011, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

2EZ: joy.gif to a healthy bean and a bleed that isn't too worrisome at this point.  The u/s pic is adorable! And I understand your preference for your OB--what matters is that you do what is best for you, and it great that you know what that is.

Cejae: Nice going on the book preface, and I'm glad you can relax now. So sorry about DS's stomach!  UGH. I take it your BP and pee have been cooperating with all the testing?  Thanks for your words about the OCD (and yours, too, Julie). 

Julie: 17 weeks is a good, solid place to be.  I hope you get some reassurance soon, though; I know how nerve-wracking those doubts can be.  Funny you think that DD looks like me. I think that she does around the eyes, though (as DP insists), she looks a whole lot more like her donor (blond hair, blue eyes, broad jaw--Swedish, basically). 

Escher: It definitely gets better!  So much better!  My LO was dancing during Glee tonight, like all over the place dancing around my uterus for a full 60 minutes.  DP and I were laughing out loud at all the bumps, bounces, and kicks.  You'll get to a place of enjoyment and delight with the pregnancy--it just may take some more time.  I'm glad you're feeling less sick, though! I hope your midwife appt tomorrow is exactly what you need.

AFM: Started reading this amazing book on OCD for kids with DD tonight.  She responded with immediate recognition; it is creepy how much it seemed like the author must have written it for her.  She protested when we had to put it away at bedtime: "Why would you make me stop reading something that is helping me?!"  She hates bedtime.  But I'm glad she likes the book and feels like she is getting some help.  She also really likes the therapist, which is fantastic.  It feels good to be moving forward, a little bit at a time.  Only two more classes to go until finals and grading hell...and then freedom!

Oh--want to hear something truly horrifying?  In the insane budget emergency that IL is currently facing, university administrators are doing everything possible to avoid issuing contracts for fall to part-time instructors.  They have refused to approve funds for my replacement course (while I'm out on FMLA in the fall) because it is not "certain" that I'll be taking the leave.  In other words (and my chair confirmed this), it is possible, according to them, that I could miscarry.  My chair is disgusted and angry and confronting every official she can about this, but OMG!  I'm 27 weeks pregnant, and when do they plan to employ someone to teach my 110-person course--when I show them a baby two weeks before the semester starts?! Good thing I'm not easily offended.

#323 of 756 Old 05-04-2011, 01:49 PM

2ez, That’s GREAT news!!  Yay for the shrinking hematoma and yay for a good ultrasound and yay for being released to your OB!  I can’t believe how hard parts of the Midwest and the south are getting hit right now.  I’m glad you guys are safe.  

As for “bed” rest – I hear you!  I’m on the couch or in our backyard most days.  It’s next to impossible for me to heave myself out of bed these days anyway.  So the couch is a better bet for all sorts of reasons!

Ahope, Um, that’s nuts.  Nuts.  Nuts.  Insane.  Seriously at a loss for words there.  Though, I’m really happy to hear that dd likes that book and her therapist.  You are a wonderful mom. ☺.  

AFM, good news at my weekly midwife appt today!  Blood pressure, while not great, is safely w/in the realm of normal (130/83), clear urine test and the twins were doing everything they were supposed to do on the ultrasound and nonstress tests (hearts beating, lots of movement, practice breathing etc).  So I scored myself one more week.  Whew.  This was no small feat, my mother was here all weekend and I was convinced that her presence alone would send my bp soaring (let’s just say she’s having a few issues understanding that these babies are not her babies.  Individuation is not her strong point).  

Over the first week on bedrest I’ve finished four books – Bossypants (um, awesome), The Colony (Hawaii + leprosy = good times), The Red Garden and  Outliers.  Now I’ve moved on to David Sedaris’ new book and Everything in It’s Path (strangely obsessed with Appalachia lately).  Any and all book recommendations are welcomed! 

Professional nerd, DP to Megan and mommy to 3 y/o Bam Bam . TTC since January '09.  Welcomed our new babes May 22, 2011. Now living life in the NICU one day at a time.
#324 of 756 Old 05-04-2011, 02:32 PM

Hi everyone!

It feels so weird to be over here, but I found out on Monday that I'm pregnant!  First beta at 15dpo was 160 and second at 17dpo was 491.  I go in for my third beta on Tuesday and have my first u/s on May 19.  EDD is 1/3/12!

I'm excited but truthfully, also nervous about everything.  Just hoping everything goes well--I am already busting at the seams to tell my family, but am trying to hold off at least until the first u/s :)

Kelly (33) & Cole (30) married since 2008, TTC #1 since 2009

pos.gif on 5/2/11!  EDD is 1/3/12! 

#325 of 756 Old 05-04-2011, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Cejae: Keeping your blood pressure down during your mom's visit sounds like a serious victory.  Not at all sure I could do the same.  Whew.  Great news about bp and clear urine--fantastic!  Keep it up--you are obviously taking great care of those little ones.

#326 of 756 Old 05-04-2011, 02:52 PM

Kelly... congratulations to you and Cole!!! I've seen you on the Bay Area thread (er, which I haven't checked in some time). I hope you get to spill the news to a few people... that kept us going for awhile when we kept it quiet with others. Wonderful news!Welcome.gif

Mama with my beautiful wife blowkiss.gifenjoying our new little love, R, born October 16, 2011.
#327 of 756 Old 05-04-2011, 03:05 PM

Howdy all~  Finally got a break from my tyrannically lazy nurser.  Went to the doc again this week and she's still not gaining like she should. I'm producing like crazy, but she just won't eat long enough to really EAT. She'll poke about for a few minutes then go to sleep and nothing we can do will make her wake up and eat. This leads to her then waking up starving 30-45 minutes later 'round the clock.  The doctor has told us we need to supplement her now, with pumped milk and formula. I'm really not happy about this (and afraid my milk will dry up if she doesn't want to eat from the breast) but we can't have her starve. UGH!!! I'm so frustrated by this!  Isn't it supposedly the easiest, most natural thing in the world?  I just don't understand why it's so hard for us.  Grrrr...

Anyway~ hello to everyone!  Loving all the photos of the beautiful babies/children.  Here are some pix of Alice just hanging out in various adorable outfits.  I'll put these in her modeling portfolio so that she can get a job soon and start contributing to the laundry bills!

Kelly~ Welcome to the roller coaster! I hope everything is going well and goes smoothly all the way to birthday.

Imogen~ BIRTHDAY!!!  Can't wait to hear your story and see snaps of your little one. Hope you get the homebirth you wanted.

Starling~ How fun that you let DP pick out her Harley. What a fun shopping trip that would be. I'll bet she's still thrilled and gets up in the middle of the night to go and pat it.

Cejae~ I'm just going to shake my head at that MRSA thing. I know you needed more crap. Hope there's not a Colorado-based ebola outbreak, 'cause you know it'd head straight for your house. Your reading list sounds great, though!  The Hawaiian leprosy thing sounds really interesting!  I'll have more recommendations soon. We're about to start the annual book award committee onslaught, so I'll keep everyone posted on what's good and what's not. I'm looking forward to one of our listed titles, '10,000 Butches'.  Ought to be interesting at least.

AHope~ I'm sorry but I had to laugh about DD saying "Why would you stop reading me a book that's helping!"  It's a poignant sentiment, but I could just imagine the indignant tone.  And WTF about your University?!?!?!  That's crap.  

Escher~ I'm sorry you're not feeling pregnant, but I promise it's about to change and then it'll just be more and more and more every day.  Enjoy it. I loved every moment, even the backaches and baby's-head-grinding-into-bladder. Everything felt special and wonderful and I know you'll feel that way soon xoxox

EZ~ I'm so glad you're feeling better and I'm HAPPY about no bleeding!  I'm also happy that you're not flooded!  We've had an easy season so far (KNOCK WOOD) but everyone further east of us has just gotten slammed. Glad you're in one piece. 

Okay, my mistress is fussing again.  When I was born, the nurses in the Air Force hospital said that if I fussed too much, a teaspoon of bourbon in my milk would put me right out, and I tell ya, I'm tempted!!!  (Ok not really)  (Ok, maybe a little, though I would never...) 

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

#328 of 756 Old 05-04-2011, 04:59 PM

Library ... Dropping in whilst on the ambulance to tell you that you can supplement wee Alice while still at the breast.  Lact-Aid nursing system.  Look it up!  We used it for over a year, with no bottles.  PM me if you want more info or support.  Many hugs.

Imogen ... news?  Can't wait to hear all about it!

Kelly ... Welcome, welcome!  Congratulations!

Cejae ... Way to keep that dratted pre-e at bay!

EZ ... Yay for your little turtle swimming around in there with a lovely heartbeat!

#329 of 756 Old 05-04-2011, 05:29 PM

Hi Everyone,

There's an interesting discussion over on QC about how involved pregnant folks should be on that board. I would be curious to hear what you all think.

Library: I'm so sorry that breastfeeding is such a challenge right now. I hope that becomes easier soon. It sounds like Starling is a good resource for information on supplementing.

Kelly: Welcome, and congratulations! It's exciting that you're due right at the beginning of 2012. I understand being nervous, but it sounds like everything is going well so far. I remember how hard it was to wait for betas and the initial ultrasounds. I hope the time passes quickly!

Cejae: Hooray for safe blood pressure! It sounds like you're doing an amazing job surviving the bed rest. Grow, babies, grow!

AmandaHope: Your university administrators sound completely insane. What nuts. I'm glad that your daughter is feeling like the OCD information is helpful! And thanks again for your reassurance that it gets better.

2ez: Congratulations on being released from your RE! I'm so glad that the hematoma is getting smaller. Hooray!

Julietea: I'm so impressed that your bellybutton has already popped out! I hope you get some more movement (or some other reassurance that all is well) soon.

AFM: Our midwife appointment was great, and it definitely reminded me of why we're glad to have them as our care providers. The midwife who saw us today spent over two hours with us drinking tea, chatting, and answering all our questions. We got to hear the baby swimming around in there, and she showed us how to feel my uterus. I had this idea that my uterus was still down low, so I was surprised that the top of it is only two finger widths below my belly button. So everything looks good! Even though we know that there are never any guarantees, we've decided to stop talking about IF we have a baby and to start talking about WHEN we have a baby. Crazy.

#330 of 756 Old 05-04-2011, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

KellySF: Congratulations and welcome!  joy.gifflowersforyou.gifbiggrinbounce.gifpos.gifjumpers.gif   I added you to the roster on the first page.  Best wishes for a healthy and easy pregnancy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page