Queer and Pregnant: April, May, and June - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 756 Old 05-07-2011, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Sure, I'll chime in on the twat stuffers!

progesterone ... I was on 300mgs of progesterone until week twelve, by LMP.  One suppository three times a day.  Oh, so lovely.  Anyway, I stopped them cold turkey, as per doc's orders.  Same as last time, when I was pregnant with our daughter.  The info back on the thread really varied from poster to poster as to what their RE recommended.  You'll likely see some more responses.  I had never heard of weaning off of them until reading about it on this board.  I think by week ten (LMP date) the body 'shouldn't' need it anymore in a normally progressing pregnancy.  And if it's not a normally progressing pregnancy, then stopping the progesterone or not isn't likely to make a big difference.  Progesterone is a fairly controversial drug, so I was happy to get off of it as soon as was 'allowed.' 

gdipes ... Never used them.  Heard lots about cities taking offense to the 'flushable' inserts clogging up the sewer pipes, so I wonder how degradable they are.  Our small town didn't sell them for that reason.  We used prefolds and covers, mostly.  This time I've got a selection of wee dipes to use too.  Can't wait! 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#362 of 756 Old 05-07-2011, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My computer isn't letting me start new tabs on here, it is driving me insane. Seriously I am going to strangle it. EZ-I loved gdiapers. I used em with Lennon and had very few leaks. I used both the disposable inserts and inserts. I threw away the disposable inserts instead of flusing because flushing was a pain. I will use them again with baby H but also am using pockets. Have you checked out flips? They are similar to g's and the inserts are cheaper.

Oh look, it is working! My computer is back in my good graces again. I guess it just wanted to be shut down. I am so bad about that.

Imogen: congrats~ your sweet baby Solomon was born on my son's birthday!!! Best day ever for a baby to be born!!!! Can't wait to see pics.

Amanda- I so need a pedi, I am super jealous. Are you getting ready to start going every 2weeks? I go to the MW on Monday and i think thus begins my bi monthly visits but I can't remember. Not that I can remember anything these days!!

Library- Sorry nursing has been tough, I had a super rough road for various reasons( tongue tied, dairy allergy, hospitals.....) and we made it 18 months! You got this, keep chugging away and Alice will be a chunker in no time!!

AFM: Think we are gonna do the ultrasound, Chels is super pumped about it so I am happy with our decision. Not going to lie, I am pretty excited to see that little man's face myself!!

Lennon's bday party is today, 40 people and a small 3 bedroom ranch.....please please please don't rain. He will have a ball regardless, and that is all that counts! Even if people will literally be on top of each other!

Got some maternity shirts at a garage sale today PLUS got a 400 dollar glider fro $20!!!! No lie, it looks barely used. So pumped!

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
#363 of 756 Old 05-07-2011, 12:46 PM

Congrats Imogen beautiful name... I hope that baby mooning is going splendidly!

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#364 of 756 Old 05-08-2011, 06:08 AM

HAPPY MOTHER's DAY LADIES!!!!

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#365 of 756 Old 05-08-2011, 09:01 AM

Happy Mama's Day! 

I'm 18 weeks today, which is awesome.  Now if only the puking would stop.  DP celebrates me today, and then she gets "Baba's Day" on what most folks call Father's Day.

Hope everyone is well?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#366 of 756 Old 05-08-2011, 01:32 PM

Happy Mothers Day everyone.  Hope yours is going well.  

Starling, we do mothers day for all the moms in may and then camp with Grandpa around father's day.  My kids don't hear much about fathers day, tho.

Escher, my SIL, who is 18 weeks is measuring way bigger than me, too (like more than 4 weeks ahead of me).  I decided that my muscles are just weak and the baby is spreading out everywhere instead of going up.

We went to the Birth fair.  I was unimpressed.  There were lots of photographers, WIC and La Leche League.  1 midwife, the local hospital and a few crafts.  I met the midwife I've heard so much about.  I'm sure she's lovely but I'm really not feeling like paying 3K for someone to not make it to my birth.  I know this one will probably take longer than Ari, but I also know I'm unlikely to have much desire to call anyone to come.  I'm more solidly kicking around the idea of a UC.  I may call one of the amish midwives in the area (midwives who serve the Amish, not midwives who are Amish) just to ask about rates.  

We had a lovely mothers day with brunch and games.  Poor Sara has to work.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#367 of 756 Old 05-08-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Happy Mother's Day, everyone!

Starling: welcome to 18 weeks!  That's awesome--it gets so good from here (well...it will as soon as you stop puking!)

Seraf: Sorry Sara had to work, but I hope you had a great day. Brunch and games sound delightful.

A friend's dad drove DD to Sunday School (Jewish) this morning, so DP and I got the whole morning to ourselves.  WOW.  We should do that more often.  I got the garden mostly planted this afternoon, and then we had birth class.  DD made us the sweetest gifts.  I'll post a pic tomorrow.  She loves Mothers' Day (plural, as she points out), because she has twice the moms of her friends and gets to make two of everything at school.  Since Father's Day is during the summer, we pretty much ignore it, except for sending cards to the grandpas. 

I had a bit of a scare yesterday with what felt like menstrual cramps and low back pain, but I called the midwife, who said that as long as they stopped when I sat or lay down, it was probably my uterus being "irritable" and not preterm labor.  Ugh.  I  barely had any cramping last night or today, though, so I'm just taking it a bit easier than usual and paying close attention to my body's signs.  I really think that everything is fine, but I'd hate to be too casual and miss signs that really need attention, kwim? A single mama joined our birth class-yay! Happy not to be the only non-hetero married folks. 

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

#368 of 756 Old 05-08-2011, 10:04 PM

Happy Mama's Day all!!

Sara: Thanks for the diapering links! I was being a bit lazy and rather than searching the forums, looking for a pointer to a one-pager sort of resource. But, I look forward to checking out all that you took the time to post.

MizYellow: Good luck with the ultrasound and congrats on the garage sale score.

Starling: Really hoping the puking stops for you. Now.

Seref: Good luck with the birthing decisions. It sounds like you've got the knowledge and experience for UC to be a good option.

Amanda: What a lovely day you describe and congrats on the newbie in your birth class.

AFM: Mixed mother's day here. DW and I flew a kite at the beach... really fun and hadn't done that since, oh, 4th grade or so! Then came home, planted cucs and tomatoes and did a little housework. Long bath, good dinner, baked cookies. Good day and night all around. No calls from DW's family for her today though which has made her feel pretty awful, sad, alone.... and filled me with anger to see her hurt again. It's amazing to me (and confusing) how I have so much and nothing at all to say to them. In much better news, back to the MW tomorrow for a little heartbeat action... whoot.

Mama with my beautiful wife blowkiss.gifenjoying our new little love, R, born October 16, 2011.
#369 of 756 Old 05-09-2011, 03:44 AM

QOTD:  For those of you have given birth, what position did you birth in?  What did you like and dislike about it?  For those who haven't yet, what childbirth positions interest you and why?

Both my kids were born on a birthing stool.  I hated the first one (uncomfortable) and loved the second one (homemade, felt like a toilet seat, well, because it was topped with a toilet seat).  I was advised to give birth lying down if I ever did it again since Ari came so fast, but lying down was very painful when I was in labor before, so I'm trying to think of a good compromise.

#370 of 756 Old 05-09-2011, 07:00 AM

Hope everyone had a wonderful mother's day. We had a quiet morning, I was feeling not so great and spent most of it laying around. We went to my mom's house in the afternoon and ate amazing food and had a great time playing outside. A stray had her kittens in my mom's garage a couple of weeks ago and it was fun to play with them. They are all 6 toed, how cute is that!!

Amanda- I am glad the cramps went away! I haven't had BH yet with this one. I have been having a lot of cervical pain and pressure lately so I am hoping that means that this one will actually dilate my cervix!  With Lennon my water broke and when I got to the hospital I expected to be like 5cm..... closed tight as a drum!!! Oh I was sooo mad. Have you been feeling the cervical pressure yet? How about the super awesome rib kicks?!

QOTD: I birthed Lennon flat on my back but it is not what I wanted to do at all. This time I will simply do whatever feels right. I have no experience with natural childbirth so I guess I will just go with my body. I told my MW she might have to direct me what to do because I tend to freeze up in nerve wracking situations so I guess we will see! The birthing stool idea sounds good, it took my 3 hours to push Lennon out so anything that will speed that part up sounds great! My body isn't super conducive to getting babies past that pelvic bone. Although I feel I have widened out a lot this time so perhaps Harrison will fly out!

Gorgeous day...and a day off! So we are going to go to my MW appt, have a picnic and play OUTSIDE!! WOO!

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
#371 of 756 Old 05-09-2011, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

MizYellow: So nice that you have the day off!  I had the same thing with DD as you did with Lennon--water broke, and nothing happened.  Tight as a drum.  So I waited 24 hours and then started Pitocin, which I will do everything in my power to avoid this time around (though there was nothing I could do last time--we tried absolutely everything to get labor started, but it was too early--35 weeks--and my body wasn't ready.  I even ate pot brownies [courtesy of my mom], which did get contractions going, but then they would just fizzle out, and I wasn't going to eat a dozen of them!).  The 6-toed kittens sound sweet. 

Julie: Hugs to you and DP as you struggle through yet another episode of insensitivity and parental rejection.  So painful. I can imagine just how you feel--having so much and yet so little to say to them.  On the upside, the day that you spent together sounds delightful.  Hang in there.

Seraf/QOTD: Like MizYellow, I gave birth on my back in bed, knees up, but I don't plan to do it again.  I was on continuous monitoring because of the pitocin, so my mobility was limited.  I also only pushed like 3 times to get her out.  If I'd been pushing for a long time, I'd like to think I would have changed positions.  This time, my hope is to give birth in the birth tub, probably squatting, hopefully with DP behind me.  That's how I'm envisioning it, anyway. 

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

#372 of 756 Old 05-09-2011, 08:33 AM

I should probably add my date to the list lol:
EDD October 01, 2011

smile.gif I sure hope I end up having a binary baby :P nerdgasm.
#373 of 756 Old 05-09-2011, 09:00 AM

QOTD: I spent a lot of time on the birthing stool, with a rope hanging above, which was great to pull on as I pushed.  I delivered dd's head like that, but then she was in serious distress, so in a flash I was sitting with my bum on the bed with my legs braced on a bar so I could bear down with my feet, and pull on the rope while I shoved her out as the midwives ordered me very sternly to get my baby out NOW.   

I really liked the rope and bar for resistance.  For anyone with any sm experience, there were some funny parallels. 

With dd I spent a lot of time on my feet, swaying, hanging off of dp during contractions, and a lot of time on the birthing ball, and in the shower.  When it comes right down to delivering this time, I'm contemplating a birthing pool if we're at home, or the tub if we're at the L&D hospital.  I'm going to look into hypnobirthing too, because I'd like to bellow and holler less.  I could hardly talk for a week; I was so hoarse! 

#374 of 756 Old 05-09-2011, 09:15 AM

I birthed ds in a tub on my knees I rocked from knees to hands and knees a lot then whe. He came out I was on my knees reached down and pulled him up I was in labor for three days so swagating was to much being able to sit down on my knees and butt in between was nice
#375 of 756 Old 05-09-2011, 09:28 AM

Starling, every time you write twat stuffers I laugh out loud.  I cannot believe you are still puking.  This is so not cool.  Would you consider drugs for it?  I suppose not, since it sounds like you aren't actually losing weight or getting dehydrated.  But wow, you deserve a break, mama!

Mizyellow, did you have sun for Lennon's party?  When is the ultrasound?  I hear you on the Braxton Hicks.  Haven't had a one yet.  Weird, and almost a relief.  I'd probably freak out if I felt anything remotely contraction like at this point (even if it didn't mean anything).

Imogen, Congratulations!!!!

Ahope, Oh wow, so sorry about the cramps (especially given the history of early delivery).  HOw are you feeling today? 

Julietea,  Your mother's day sounds lovely.  And my heart goes out to your dp.  I'm so so sorry about her family's refusal to celebrate her.

Wherli, Thank you so much for sharing your birth story.  I'm sorry that it wasn't the birth you envisioned.  But I'm so happy that everyone came out of it healthy. 

AFM, I made it to week 32!  2 more weeks and many of the preterm risks are gone.  Of course, I'm still aiming for 38 weeks.  I think I can.  I think I can.  I think I can.  I've managed to keep the blood pressure down through meditation, sleep (1/2 an hour of sleep at a shot counts as good sleep, right?), and acupuncture.  Our mother's day was low key. Usually we hire a sitter and go mountain biking, but, uh, that was out of the question this year!  I did hire a sitter so dp could go though. :).  Figure one of us might as well have fun!  In celebration I had one pancake with no syrup (damn you gestational diabetes!).  Let's see, bedrest reading list update:  Last week I finished Sedaris' new book, a book on natural disasters and I'm halfway through Myla Goldeberg's new book The False Friend.  Next up, Mothering Multiples.  So that should totally freak me out.  :)

Professional nerd, DP to Megan and mommy to 3 y/o Bam Bam . TTC since January '09.  Welcomed our new babes May 22, 2011. Now living life in the NICU one day at a time.
#376 of 756 Old 05-09-2011, 09:52 AM

Cejae ... you know you can!  You know you can!  Nevermind "think" ... that's for cute little choo choo trains!  You're doing GREAT! 

#377 of 756 Old 05-09-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Cakahy:  Welcome.gifand congratulations! joy.gif  I'll certainly add you to the roster, and in the meantime, why don't you tell us about yourself and your family?

#378 of 756 Old 05-09-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaHope View Post

Cakahy:  Welcome.gifand congratulations! joy.gif  I'll certainly add you to the roster, and in the meantime, why don't you tell us about yourself and your family?

Well, there's a long post on the forum (http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1308885/newbie-in-need-of-support-could-be-triggering-for-domestic-violence-victims) that explains a lot, but that has some domestic violence stuff in it so I'll just bring up the positives lol.

My name is Kyra. I'm 25. I have two children by my ex-husband. Jacob is 4 (and just started riding his bike without training wheels WOOHOO!!!) and Summer is 2. I'm pregnant with my third. Right now I have a girl name picked out, still debating on boy names. If it's a girl I'm planning on naming her Ava Elizabeth. Ava is a name I've loved for a while, and Elizabeth is the name of one of my closest cousins who died in a car wreck a few years back. Boy wise I really wanted something with "Douglas" or "David" in it because Douglas was my grandfather who I lived with (along with my grandmother of course) until I was 11, and David was my favorite uncle who passed away about two years ago. I just really want the name of this baby to "mean something" if that makes sense. My son's middle name is for his father (Alexander) and my daughter's middle name is for her grandmother on her dad's side (Elaine). But enough name-rambling. I'm currently seeing a girl that I've had feelings for around a year or a little longer. It's only been about a month, but things are amazing and yea I don't know...I see her being around for a long time. Usually I can feel pretty early on in meeting someone/dating them if it's going to be a long-term thing and this definitely feels that way, smile.gif. I don't know how things are going to be once the baby is here because I don't really know what "role" she should be playing if we're still together, but I guess the future holds what it holds and I'll find out when the times comes smile.gif
#379 of 756 Old 05-09-2011, 12:37 PM

Hi Everyone,

Cejae: Congratulations on making it to week 32! It sounds like you are doing an amazing job of surviving the bed rest. Just six more weeks until you get to meet your babies! fingersx.gif

Cakahy: Welcome! I think October is a great month to have a baby be due! And I agree that 10/1/11 would be a very cool birthday.

Mizyellow: Aw, I love six-toed kittens. Built-in mittens seem like a great kitten enhancement. Although honestly I've never met a kitten who wasn't cute. When is your ultrasound? I bet you'll get some great pictures!

Julietea: I'm so sorry that your DW's family continues to be such a challenge. I hope that it somehow gets easier soon. hug.gif Regarding diapers, I don't know much at all, but I found it useful to poke around some of the websites that sell diapers (Green Mountain Diapers is one I've heard recommended, but there are tons) just to see what the options are.

AmandaHope: I'm sorry that you had a crampy scare. I'm glad that your midwife was reassuring. Your DD sounds so sweet. I'm glad that she likes mothers' day so much.

Seraf: I can definitely see why a UC might make sense for you, especially since your last birth was so fast. Would you do a UP too or would you get some outside care during pregnancy?

Starling: You know what is funny? I think you're due exactly 21 days (i.e. three weeks) before me (you're due October 6, right?), but I believe I reach a new week milestone on Thursday and you believe you reach your week milestone on Sunday. I wonder how we have different counts.

2ez: I was worried too before I stopped the progesterone, but it ended up not being a big deal at all--the only different I noticed was less discharge. My RE wanted me to get another ultrasound at 10 weeks and then if everything looked ok stop the progesterone without tapering it off. I wasn't comfortable with that (I didn't want another ultrasound and I wanted to taper off), so I reduced to 400mg (from 600mg) at 9 weeks, reduced to 200mg at 10 weeks, and then stopped entirely at 11 weeks.

Imogenlily: Congratulations! I hope you're having a wonderful babymoon!

Kelly: How are you doing? How are you feeling these days?

AFM: Not much new here. I still feel like I'm in early pregnancy, but I'm trying to start thinking more about what needs to be done before the baby arrives. It's amazing how many options there are for everything.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#380 of 756 Old 05-09-2011, 04:23 PM

Thank you, Starling!  I'll add that to my daily pregnancy affirmations. I KNOW I can.  I KNOW I can. 

Welcome Cakahy!  It sounds like it's been a tough road for you lately, but your new relationship and pregnancy sound very promising. 

Escher, the options are overwhelming, no?  I'm still overwhelmed, the second time around! 

And Library, we may not have gotten hit by ebola, but we do have the second best thing going on here.  This morning dp woke up with a fever and dp's babysitter (who we dependo on to get him ready and take him to school each day now that I can't) showed up with no voice and a fever.  Let the good times roll!  We're not a big tv family, but tonight dp is on the couch with me watching my video of The Little Mermaid that I received as a gift when I was, what, 16 maybe?  Thank goodness he's in a princess phase right now.  But watching a half naked teenager trade her voice for true love is not exactly the best example of feminst parenting.  Sigh.  Off to sing "Part of Your World" to which, yes, I know all the words. 

Professional nerd, DP to Megan and mommy to 3 y/o Bam Bam . TTC since January '09.  Welcomed our new babes May 22, 2011. Now living life in the NICU one day at a time.
#381 of 756 Old 05-09-2011, 04:56 PM

Hey everyone~ UGH!  Sorry to have such a stressful day and then vanish, but it's actually been a decent weekend.  Alice has had some amazing nights and some amazingly crap nights, but every day I get more and more zen about it. I also think I'm making more milk, too.  Friday/Saturday I had all the symptoms they told me to expect at engorgement, and Miss Thing is settling a bit quicker these days (she sat in her chair and let me sweep the floor for 20 minutes today!!) Thanks everyone for being so wonderful and supportive xoxo  I've said it since day one on the QC board~ this is an amazingly loving and supportive group of women. xoxo

I'm too behind for all personals, but I have to say HELLO!!! to Soloman! And I'm so happy he's here safe and everyone's sound.  And I hear ya about sore!!!

Cejae~ Don't forget that in the original Little Mermaid, not only does she trade her voice for love, but she agrees to the arrangement even though every step she takes on land 'will be like walking on knives'.  Remember, girls! Beauty is pain, as long as you catch a husband!

Instead of being a good friend and writing to everyone, I'm going to post my birth story, which I dictated to DP yesterday. It will also answer Escher's QOTD about which position I found most effective.

Love to all xoxoxo

I woke up around midnight, went to the bathroom and noticed that there was some watery blood. I wondered if it was my water breaking so I called the midwife hotline. Dawn (the midwife on call) told us to keep an eye on it and call back if there was more. I went back to bed and around one I started to have some backache, which was different from the usual backache that I had all the time. As I lay there I realized that the backache was going and going I started to pay more attention to it. We then used the “contraction master” website to keep track of it and it was definitely coming and going, but random lengths and random times. Around five thirty I went to the bathroom again and there was more blood so we called the midwife again. By this time the contractions were always at least one minute long, but not at regular intervals. At six we decided to go to the hospital to see if they could tell if my water had broken (since I was strep B positive, whether or not my water had broken mattered, otherwise we would have stayed and laboured longer at home.)

We went to the L&D triage at the hospital, where they decided that my water had not broken, but that as I was already 4cm dilated they suggested we walk around for an hour and have progress checked again before they decided what to do. After an hour’s worth of walking I was 5-6cm dilated and they decided to admit me and gave me the first of three IVs of penicillin. Let’s just say that the only thing better than having contractions is having contractions while someone takes three tries to put in an IV!

April 8th was a busy day for babies and it took a while to have a delivery room open. Around 3:30pm a space opened up and we moved into room 21. During the walk to the room labour shifted more from the excited to the “this is really it,” serious stage of labour and I had to stop several times on the walk to our room in order to hold on to the railing during contractions.

Once in the labour room, labour got even more serious and I was happy to take advantage of the birthing ball and being able to adjust the height of the bed to lean on. Labour progressed for another two hours, when the midwife (Leanne) asked if I was feeling the urge to push as she felt I was holding my breath with each contraction. They checked me and I was 8cm and effaced. According to Pennie I then demanded to get into the bathtub and they filled it up for me. I got into the bathtub and Pennie got in and sat on the ledge and held me. Contractions were becoming much closer at this point, but I dozed off between them floating in the water, but as they became closer and I could feel them coming Pennie tells me I said “it’s coming, I don’t want it.” We were in the tub for maybe 20 minutes when I threw up, at which point Pennie suggested I was in transition and that I get out of the bathtub. When they checked me again I was a 10cm and they told me I was free to push. We thought it would be maybe another 30-60 minutes, but we were wrong…

Alice had her hand up by her face and refused to come out from under my pelvis. In total pushing would take nearly 4 and a half hours. We tried almost all of the positions that we had practiced in class, but the one that ultimately worked and helped me isolate the right muscles was what I like to call the “Melanie Wilkes.” The midwife (Dawn at this point) and I pulled on opposite ends of a knotted sheet while Pennie and the nurse held my legs.

By now the contractions were almost constant, but Dawn felt I was starting to back off when I got to the painful part so she began to count for me to help me know how long I needed to push in order to keep me going and make real progress. I will admit that (for what would become the last two hours) I wanted to give up a few times, but only part of me wanted to give up, part of me wanted to keep going but there was never time between contractions to make a decision. About three hours in I got an oxygen mask as I felt I wasn’t getting enough air, and the nurse attached a fan to the bed to cool me off, which really helped. I was very disheartened by the way Alice would move forward during the contractions and then move back, and I felt like it would never happen but the team was amazing and everyone was wonderfully encouraging and kept me going even when I was in despair.

Finally we could see and feel her head, and Dawn asked another nurse to come and help as her hands were busy with the other end of the sheet. They also moved in a mirror so that I could see. I was so tired, but something switched inside me, and I think I even said out loud “I think this is it, she’s going to come” and then I pushed until she came out even when I wasn’t having a contraction, even though I knew I shouldn’t I just wanted her to come. When she came out she still had her hand up by her face, resulting in a small tear, which I did not even notice, and then once it was over it was over. It was like a veil lifted and I just wanted to see her. She had a few complications, which resulted in not being able to do the delayed cord cutting, skin-to-skin and breast crawl, but she was fine and returned to us very quickly.

I feel like the class really helped, as I knew what to expect, and just having thought about and discussed the stages and the options kept it from being frightening. It was hard but never scary. The only thing that was scary was at the end when they push on my stomach and a vast quantity of blood gushed out of me.

Knowing what I know now I would do it again naturally, but I would go for the “Melanie Wilkes” position earlier. I’m sorry I wasn’t able to rest at home longer, as I think that would have helped with the exhaustion at the end. The benefits were so great though that it was worth all the hardship and I’m proud to have accomplished what turned out to be a much harder task than I had imagined.  

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

#382 of 756 Old 05-10-2011, 06:18 AM

Library, what a beautiful birth story! I just started crying at my desk at work. Congratulations to you and your beautiful family!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#383 of 756 Old 05-10-2011, 06:18 AM

Library- Birth stories always make me cry! 4 1/2 hours is a loooong time to push! I though 3 hours was tough. I bet you burned enough calories for the year! Kudos to you for being able to do it naturally, and it sounds likeyou were pretty zen about the whole thing. I am so glad nursing i s getting a tiny bit easier. Engorgement is a sure sign you are making lots of good fat building milk! Soon, Alice will be a chunky roly poly thing!

Cejae- 32 weeks with twins! I would be delighted to see a belly pic! I just finished the last Louise Erdich book, they are fun reads. Are you trying to do a natural twin birth? It actually rained pretty much all through Lennon bday party and there were around 35 people packed into our little house. He had a BLAST, I am pretty sure he didn't even realize I was there. So it was a success! He got way too many things, on top of his already ridiculous number of toys and we are swimming in 3 year old goodies!

Escher- You are almost to the good part of feeling flutters and little kicks. In a couple of weeks you will be spending a lot of time on your tummy trying to feel those little flutters!

gracie- How is your pregnancy going? Are you still nursing?

Ahope- 3 pushes! So jealous!

Our ultrasound is Thursday. Chels is pumped and I am getting pretty excited too. I had Lennon's right at 29 weeks and I can't wait to compare the 2. They had a pretty great special going on this week as well so it wasn't as expensive as I thought. I have an ultrasound scheduled through my high risk dr for the 19th but I am going to reschedule it for June somethingth, that way I end up with the same amount of ultrasounds I was originally planning. Win Win situation! I will def post (maybe creepy looking) pics for you ladies!

Great MW appt yesterday, weighed in at 133, which means I gained 4 lbs last month! Def an improvement over 10! I officially weigh more than Chels:( Now I guess I can threaten to sit on her which always fun!

#384 of 756 Old 05-10-2011, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

UGH.  Just got the results from my first GD test, and it is right at their cutoff (140), so I have to do the 3-hour thing.  I never did this with DD, and I'm not excited about it.  Oh, well.  I'll do the long test on Monday morning.  For those who have done this (Cejae), how did you go 15 plus hours without eating anything?!  And does anyone know if it will help with the next test if I avoid carbs and sugar between now and then?  I think I probably will anyway, now that I'm getting concerned.  I've never had bloodsugar problems.  Cejae's experience makes me feel better though--if you can get GD with your health habits, I suppose I shouldn't feel too guilty.  Sigh.

MizYellow: How exciting about the next u/s and about rescheduling the other one so you don't end up with extra.  That's great.  And I'll be interested to see the weird 3D pics!  I just scheduled my 30 week u/s, too, and I'm looking forward to what will hopefully be out last peek at the babe. 

Library: What an amazing story!  Both you and Wehrli showed such perseverance--I'm impressed!  Your story is unusual, though, in that I usually hear about really hard first stages and quicker second stages.  How hard to make such nice progress with dilation and then have to push for so very long--you must have been beyond exhausted.  Good thing you were so well prepared!  Congratulations, again, mama. 

#385 of 756 Old 05-10-2011, 08:16 AM

Library what a Great story and I'm glad your milk is pickig up remember you can call lll anyntie thell evevm come to your house it's free and great nursing mom support

Mix yellow yes still, nursing all the time ds is sick Pregacy is weird Ive had stabbing pains and bleeding enough that my midwife went into the hospital with me to rudle out a molar pregacy and everything look dfine on the ultrasound they have no idea what's going on apparently I get to have a weird pregacy
#386 of 756 Old 05-10-2011, 08:26 AM

Oh Ahope, I'm so sorry!  Urgh.  First, 2/3 of women who "fail" the initial screening "pass" the longer test.  Often it just means you're the kind of person who processes blood sugar a little more slowly (or you just happened to that day) than the average (this whole thing is so Foucaultian.  I've actually kept notes to illustrate his concepts of medicalization and normalization as forms of social control.  #nerdalert).  Since you were right at the cutoff, let's hope that's the case.  Dude, the 15 hours without eating was rough.  I won't lie.  What time does your lab open?  I found one that opened at 6am and that helped a ton.  The first hour was the worst and it got increasingly less painful after that.  Of course on the way home I ate 2 egg mcmuffins, hashbrowns and a huge orange juice (the second time in 10-15 years that I've eaten fast food that wasn't Subway!). 

Here's what I did to get through those three hours - I loaded up my computer with tv/movies.  I never do that for entertainment on planes or anything (I'd much prefer to read).  But I knew that I would absolutely need to be distracted.  Several hours of Dexter worked quite well for me. 

As for eating "healthier" before the test, I have no idea.  My guess is that it wouldn't really make a difference because if there is a problem the equivalent of 5 soda pops worth of sugar in that damn drink will highlight it no matter what.  But, what do I know! 

Should the second test indicate a problem (which I doubt it will) let's have  a big long chat and I can do a brain dump of everything I've learned in the past several weeks. 

And yes, you can be absolutely healthy and a great eater and still develop this.  Consider me (again, Kale is its own foodgroup) and my sister in law (lives on diet cokes and simple carbs).  She has had two pregnancies and is of "advanced maternal age" and never developed GD.  Me, barely AMA and a ridiculously healthy eater and I do develop it.  (Okay, it's an n of 2, but you get my point).

When is the second test?

Hang in there!

Library, your birth story made me cry!!  Thank you so much for sharing it with us.  You are a shero :). 

#387 of 756 Old 05-10-2011, 09:22 AM

Julia, sorry your ILs are still rude.  Happy heartbeat?

Yellow, we thought of you when we were driving through columbus.  The rain was rough, glad y'all had fun anyway.  Holy mackerel, I have more than 10 pounds on you.  Enjoy the ultrasound.

Cakahy, welcome.

Starling, let us know what you think of Hypnobirthing.  We've been talking about it for Sara.  I know she can give birth, but she has a pain tolerance that baffles me, so I want us to have more tools in our toolbox.

Cejae, thanks for letting us know Sedaris has a new book (so says Sara).

Escher, I don't know on the UP thing.  I'm still looking for a midwife.  I think if I get really desperate I will beg one of my old midwives to come down.  We only live an hour from there, so she may do it.  If the labor is quick, life is good, and she can just check up on me.  If the labor is longer, I would be glad I had set something up in advance.  I think I'm going to order UA sticks so I can monitor myself until I find a provider I want to have around.  I have been monitoring/recording my vitals, edema, weight and fundal height every few weeks.   What options are you debating??  The nice thing about babies is they don't need much.  If you have a carseat and a handfull of onesies you are ok until you decide what you want.

Library, wow on the birthstory.  I don't know anything about pushing for so long.  I had 10 hours of transition, tho, so I feel for you!  I'm glad you came through it all feeling empowered.  And I'm really glad to hear that you're getting milkier and feeling good about that.

AmandaHope, I hear that test is no fun at all (yeah, I refused it, I said it would give us a more realistic picture for me to check my own sugar under real life conditions, and since I couldn't fast for any length of time).  I don't know a lot about GD, I had a brief scare with Osha.  Where was I going?  Oh, regular diabetes responds to exercise.  If you have the ability to walk around in the 3 hours between drinking the syrup stuff and testing, do it.  Walk for an hour or so, walk the stairs if you're feeling up to it.  Exercise pushes sugar into the cells so your blood sugar is lower.   I'm not sure about changing your diet leading up to the test, but it can't hurt to eat well.

Graceie, sorry to hear you've been bleeding a lot.

Christy (Christie?), how you doing?  How is semi-bedrest treating you?

Krista, lurking here?  Hope you're doing well.  I totally understand the avoidance of betas this time around, my fingers are crossed for a strong, healthy, reassuring pregnancy this time.

AFM, Leaked colostrum the other night.  That was exciting.  Fundus is now 4 fingers below my belly button, so it must have been positonal.  Haven't felt much movement lately  Lots of round ligament joy.  I think I've decided that Ari is too heavy to pick up now.  I can really feel it in my abs when I lift her.  Speaking of abs, I have a huge split between mine.  I'm not sure if it's been there long.  I just noticed it yesterday.  I know Ari did the original damage.  Something I can look into.  Sara and I had our first fight the other day, I'm hoping that means we're both hormonal and expecting.  Not much else going on.  Taught Sara a couple of back carries.  Learned a couple of new ones myself at this website.  We are going to the big city tonight and getting some material for some wraps (or, you know, looking for inspiration and then getting muslin to batik.)  Oh, I had another baby dream.  Girl.  We were at a parade and she was tiny and on my back and kept asking if anyone was throwing candy yet because she really wanted some.  Then we went back in time and helped organize the parade.

#388 of 756 Old 05-10-2011, 04:49 PM

Wooohoo! Computer two days in a row!!  I think Alice might be moving out of baby phase 1, since she's now able to do things like sit in her chair and not cry for 15 or 20 minutes.  Hooray!!  Of course, she's crying now, but still...  We went to the doc today and she'd gained 8 ounces since last Tuesday HOORAY!!!!!!!!!  FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  SO happy!!!!!  And so less worried. She'd gained so little in the previous weeks it was scaring me, but apparently she and we are on the right track now. YAY!!!  Thanks for all the kind words about my birth story. It's good to have it all written down so I can remember it. 

MizYellow~ Huzzah for moderate weight gain! And for sitting on your DP if they give you guff ;)

AHope~ VERY sorry you have to take the longer test, but as Cejae said, it's likely you'll pass at that point. Still, it's a pain and a worry, neither of which you need.

Cejae~ That's so not fair about you and your sis, but at least you have to look forward to the end of the pregnancy and then you'll bounce back to your usual EXCELLENT health, whereas she'll have lackluster skin and bad teeth from all that diet soda (this is speculation, but still...)  I second the call for a belly pic!!!

Juliet~ UGH to the continuing inlaw bs.  BS for real!  

Seraf~ I love your dream!!!!  And I love that you dreamed about the baby's gender, I'm eager to see if it comes true.  I was right in my dreams, and Wehrli was not, so we'll see how it shakes out for you.

AFM~ Not much. Still hit and miss with the sleeping but I've started to enjoy my midnight movies. Last night I watched 'Public Speaking' a Martin Scorcese doc about Fran Leibowitz which I'd never even heard of and ended up LOVING and which I recommend to everyone here. Not only is she awesome, but there was lots of other awesome queer stuff, like old tv footage of Gore Vidal and James Baldwin arguing with George F. Will. Nerd fun!!!  Also I watched Ghostbusters 2. SO not as good as the original...   Today we took a long walk.  Tonight it's the Prom on Glee.  Life might be getting normal ish again (knock wood). 

Love to all xoxo

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

#389 of 756 Old 05-10-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraf View Post

QOTD:  For those of you have given birth, what position did you birth in?  What did you like and dislike about it?  For those who haven't yet, what childbirth positions interest you and why?

I pushed for 3 hours with DD (she was 9lbs 7oz!!) and we tried SO many positions - I was at home. The most effective ones were sitting on the toilet and crouching with my DP behind me holding me under the arms. I hated the crouching one...it was so painful on my legs and I was exhuasted. They had me try standing as they thought that would be effective but I absolutely refused that one. I tried pushing a few times laying on my back and on my side and I found it fairly ineffective and painful. We also tried the bungee rope thing that Library describes but the laying thing was just too painful for me. I preferred on my hands and knees but it wasn't as effective. I ultimately pushed her out kneeling while using the bed to hold my balance (we have a low platform bed). When I finally felt her head with my hand it was like a shot of instant energy and she came out within one or two pushes. I highly recommend feeling the head with your hand when it starts to show...amazing experience and SO motivating.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#390 of 756 Old 05-10-2011, 06:54 PM

Holy pushers girls!  I was in labor with Ari less time than y'all pushed. 

Library, 8 ounces!!!  We're so happy for you!   What kind of supplimentation did you wind up with?

Sara turns out to be poly-bumperous... She is requesting bump pics.  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page