Queer and Pregnant: April, May, and June - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 756 Old 04-04-2011, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

EZ~ SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!  Sounds like everything is going perfectly, and the li'l bean's right in the perfect place.  Def. worth driving through the tornadoes.  I'm glad all is going very well xoxo 

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

#62 of 756 Old 04-05-2011, 06:21 AM

Wherli, congratulations on the arrival of Silas!  It sounds like the birth wasn't your "plan A" (and I hear you on that one, ours wasn't, either) but I'm thrilled you have your baby on the outside, and wish you a quick/easy recovery.

Mom to DS (3) and a new baby!  Geeked to be married to my love love.gif

#63 of 756 Old 04-05-2011, 08:24 AM

clap.gifjoy.gifCongrats Wherli! joy.gifclap.gif

#64 of 756 Old 04-05-2011, 10:47 AM

Hi Everyone,

Wehrli: I'm still so excited for you. orngbiggrin.gif I hope you and your DP are having fun getting to know Silas!

EZ: Hooray for a good ultrasound! How exciting! joy.gif

AmandaHope: Wow! What a smoothie! Hey, how is that friend (the wife of the KD) doing? Is she still TTC? How is she feeling about the process these days?

Library: I'm sorry you're feeling bored. I hope that Aspidistra shows up soon! Do you have any more projects you hope to complete before she arrives?

Starling: I'm sorry you're not feeling better yet. I hope that happens for you soon! Congratulations on making it to the second trimester! joy.gif

Seraf: I'm glad that Sara's parents were able to react well to your pregnancy. Hopefully they'll be able to react similarly well to her pregnancy! fingersx.gif

Random diaper question: I know we don't have to decide this for ages, but I was thinking about diapers today. If you lived in an apartment where you did not have laundry in your unit (there are coin operated machines in the basement), would you bother trying to do cloth diapers? My wife wants to do EC, but I want a back-up diaper plan.

AFM: We're STILL thinking about the NT scan. We're still leaning towards not doing it, mostly because we don't want to do it unless we're willing to do an amnio for any increased risk, and it seems crazy to do an amnio if we ended up with a risk of something like 1 in 800 (based on my age along, risk is something like 1 in 1100). But it is making me think about where our responsibility lies here anyway. Should we be looking out for what would be best for us (i.e. we would rather not raise a kid with downs, although we don't have any major reason why we couldn't do it) or should we be most focused on protecting and nurturing this baby no matter what? For me these are painful things to consider.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#65 of 756 Old 04-05-2011, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Hi escher ... I do a load of cloth diapers every couple of days, and it's a long, hot load with an initial extra cold soak first.  Takes ages.

Does that make it more pricey for you? 

Are your machine top- or front loaders?  If you have top loaders, those are actually much better at washing cloth dipes.

I think I'd still do it, but I have in-suite laundry, so not sure.  Maybe do a fuzzi bunz type dipe that you could

easily hang to dry at home, thus chopping your laundry travels and cost?  We have the dipes, so it's hard to imagine switching to sposies now.  Whatever you do, buy off CL and save a crapload of money ... no pun intended!

For all you who read or chimed in on my TMI sex response, if we ever meet in person you are NOT to tell DP that I disclosed all of that!  Pinky swear!  She'd melt into a big butch puddle of embarassment. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#66 of 756 Old 04-05-2011, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Starling: Thanks for your advice, I was reading it to Chels and she was like"yeah lets try all of that" gutter brained girl, she is so not getting it enough right now. We have a couple different varieties of strap ons but I haven't been wanting to use them. I have needed the ultimate gentle touch to even get in the mood. My vagina is like a stray cat right now. hahahahahah that mental image is cracking me up.

I wish I wanted to F#@$@ her brains out more because when I am exclusively nursing I never want it, don't want to be touched, get the F$#@#$ away from me before I cut off your fingers thank you very much. :)

Thank god she loves me a lot.

Escher: I CD'd part time with Lennon, I got like 5 gdiapers and used the cloth inserts. I handwashed them in the sink, I only used them around the house. It ended up saving me a little money and his butt looked sooooo cute. I will probably do the same this time. I took the g's and inserts to the laundry mat with me when I took all the clothes (every 2 weeks). I never had smells or problems. this time I have a washing machine so It will be easier. But really, handwashing wasn't that bad, I just soaked it all day and washed before bed.  Also I got the NT scan, because I wanted to see my squishy baby. Really that is the only reason. I wouldn't have terminated or gotten a amnio had something come back but I like being prepared and seeing my little man do flips was sooooo worth it to me. I have a lot of ultrasounds in my pregnancies because of the diabetes and Lennon came out amazing (unless ultrasounds cause dairy allergies ;) so i think you should just go with your gut.

AFM: I cant stop eating. I am going to gain 50 lbs in this pregnancy on my tiny frame and keel over. I think I have replaced sex with food. I wake up hungry, I go to bed hungry. I want mexican, doritos, espresso icecream, brownies and diet coke. Notice not ONE healthy thing on my list? This baby is going to come out with a taco in his hand.

I have an ultrasound tomorrow- it is my fetal echocardiogram, check on the little man's heart. I am sure everything is fine, he is totally breech and although I am def still fine, he has not moved from the position since 16 weeks. I am starting to panic (in true Raegan form)  how do I make this kiddo turn around?

Hope all is well in babyville...

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
#67 of 756 Old 04-05-2011, 01:26 PM

Escher,  we do cloth diapers and we don't have laundry in our apartment. It's definitely pricey and adds up in time.  We have the ability to use H's bosses laundry during the day, but it's not always convenient to wash between 10-4 during the week.  A big factor that makes it difficult for us is that we have extremely hard water and the diapers need to wash and wash and wash.. Right now the diapers have been in since 10:45, it's 4:30 and they're not even ready to dry yet. They go in to rinse and soak while we're out, then they rinse and rinse and rinse.  We try to do diapers on Mondays and Thursdays, but if we don't make it then for some reason we'll do them downstairs in the coin laundry.  It's not fun to run down, put them in, run down when the first load stops, start them again, run down start them again, run down, put them in the dryer... there's no ability to really let them soak in the laundry room.  In addition, it costs $2.25 for each load.. so that's at least $7, if not 9 to wash, then it's another $2.50 to dry. Also, the driers are REALLY hot, even on low heat, which isn't the best for the longevity of the diapers. 

All that being said, we feel it's important to put all that effort in and use cloth diapers.  E has never had a diaper rash, her tushie is always dry because the air flow is so much better, and we're not putting bleach and harsh chemicals against her most sensitive parts. (I will confess, when we travel, we use chemical free disposables!)

If you get into a pattern and know what to expect with timing for doing the diapers it should be doable... just not all that easy.

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#68 of 756 Old 04-05-2011, 03:12 PM

Hey ladies~   Lazy day for me and Aspidistra. She even freaked me out a bit to where I had some juice and did a kick count, but apparently she's fine, just resting. DP says it's because she's about to come any minute now, which I guess could be true. I've been having more Braxton Hicks (or however you spell it) lately, though still not a lot. No sign of bloody show nor anything like that, so my feeling is that birth is not imminent, though I could be wrong.  I've had more Thai curry and we've enjoyed some...um... other recently discussed extracurricular activities thumb.gif to see if we can get this party started, but I'm still just here lying on the couch...   We did meet with a pediatrician today and honestly if we could have created the perfect doctor this would be it.  A very smart, practical woman who addressed all our concerns and questions even before we could ask them. Feeling very confident in that area now, which is wonderful.

Escher~ Big hugs for your tough decisions. I know just how you feel, for sure. We had a lot of hard thinking and heart to heart talks before we decided to do the NT scan.  We decided that if the baby were Downs, it would be best to have as much time as possible to educate ourselves and locate resources before the actual arrival, and that if one of the Trisomy (or other non-survivable) problems were present that we would terminate, so a combination  of thinking of ourselves and thinking of the child.  It's hard to even contemplate, but we found it worth our time.  GOOD LUCK!  As for the diapers, we're cloth diapering but I can't imagine doing it if you had to pay in a laundromat. It'd just about take away the savings!!

Starling~ I promise to keep mum and not embarrass your sweetie, but do appreciate the TMI (as does my sweetie~ woohoo!)  Are you feeling any better at all?

MizYellow~ I hear you about the eating! Since I'm home I'm trying not to just gorge myself all day, and to be active. It ain't easy!  Even reading your post made me think 'Espresso ice cream! I totally need some of that!!!'   Good luck with your echo/ultrasound, and good luck with the breech problem!  DP sent me a bunch of videos about rebozoing, but I think she just liked saying the word 'rebozo'.  

AFM~ Not much beyond what I said. Keeping busy reading, writing, tidying.  I finally have a long term sub in my library at school and she called today asking where we keep the list of what books go with teaching what concepts.  Um, in my head, lady. That's what the job's all about.  I don't wish ill on my fellow staff members, but I hope they mention to the Mean Girl just how much they miss me!  

Is 5 in the evening too late to have a nap? 

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

#69 of 756 Old 04-05-2011, 04:29 PM

Starling - If we were to ever meet, I'm soooooo gonna be looking at your DP and you with a whole new thought process. whistling.gif Hehe!

Miz - Oh YES! My little is also coming out with a taco in it's hand. I cannot get enough Mexican, spicy food, or hot sauce. I am pretty sure I put Taco Bell out of business last week because of all the sauce packets I used. Whew! I am really trying to watch what I eat now. I am only 6 weeks and have gained 10 lbs since I started my last cycle, Feb 24. I've been on progesterone (400mg daily, plus Cronin daily.) For whatever reason, the progesterone makes me eat, eat, eat. I can't stop. At this rate, I'll gain 90 lbs. yikes2.gif

Library - Remember, April 8. You have 3 more days. And when she arrives, it will be fine for you to name her after me - Christina Michelle. I volunteer. I am curious to see what this mean girl looks like. I have her in my head with bad hair, big ass, and terrible at dressing. Am I close?

Escher - So funny you mentioned diapers. I just posed the same questions to DP the other day.

Me (35). DP to S (39) ; Mommy to DS: J (6), Furball Pupps: L (10) & S (1) dog2.gifand a new little baby boy arriving on/around Dec 2.1sttri.gif

#70 of 756 Old 04-05-2011, 05:28 PM

Wow!!  I've missed so much excitement over the past few days.  Sex, cloth diapers and more!  I'm going to need to rig something to free up a hand while pumping.  Right now I can read along by pressing the bottle on the scroll down key, but I can't comment or click to the next page, as I get to milk myself like a like a moo cow every three hours.

AmandaHope - I love the belly shot and the nursery photos.  The fabric you've chosen is fabulous.  I love the bright, primary, modern colours.  That smoothie you just had sounds soooo good.

LibraryLady - Great nursery too!  That's a pretty kickin' mobile and I really like the cracker barrel blanket holder. orngbiggrin.gif  I'm glad you're enjoying your time being a lady of leisure and waiting for your baby to arrive.  See, you're missed already at school!  Feels good, huh?

2ez - That's one good looking baby you have growing in there!  Totally worth driving through tornadoes.  Um, do people really do that?  What does one do when they see a tornado form?  You were in your car?  Forgive my ignorance, but I live in an area of North America where we're pretty much blissfully free of environmental hazards.

Escher - The question you pose on what's best for us versus protecting and nurturing this baby is a difficult one. As an adoptive parent, we had to define a "range of acceptance" of what we could, and couldn't handle, as parents.  For example, we were okay with an HIV+ child, but we didn't want to take on a child with fetal alcohol syndrome.  The questions that the prenatal screening ask you and your partner to face are similar to these.  Do you think you could parent a child with Downs?  Right now, you don't have to.  This is the choice.  Some of the abilities your child has, you can choose at this point in time.  Others you won't be able to choose once the baby arrives and you'll just have to figure out how to deal with it.  Think about all that raising a child entails, and then add on the needs by any given disability.  If you have to handle it, I'm sure you will.  The question really is, if you had the choice, would you choose to handle it?

Mizyellow - Turn baby turn!  There's still plenty of time, but you may want to check out spinningbabies.com.  And, the image of the baby coming out with a taco in hand is quite funny.  That would be one very messy and yucky taco.

AFM - I went for my ultrasound yesterday and I'm pretty sure I don't have appendicitis.  They let me leave, and didn't call today, so I'm sure that the scans turned up nothing urgent.  The tech, who was francophone, did spend a lot of time looking at one part of my bowel and then called in this other tech for an opinion.  They had a long conversation in french that was sufficiently riddled with medical terminology and out of my vocab range, so I really don't know what the issue was.  Meh.  I'm sure it will sort itself out.  I'm feeling pretty darn good on that front.

The breastfeeding front is a whole other barrel of fun.  I'm now just solely pumping and slowing building up my supply.  Little miss Addison gets a bottle of breast milk, followed by a bottle of formula, her diaper gets changed, and then I go pump.  This means each feeding is taking about 1 hour and they come every 3 hours.  I'm living my life in 2 hour chunks which is quite tiring.  DW is taking on some of the feedings, and now that MIL is here, she's helping out as well.  I don't know how we're going to cope once everyone goes home!

Our goal is to get Addi back on the boob as soon as possible.  Her issue now is breast aversion/non-latching.  She got so frustrated with the early onset of mastitis that she started to scream every time she went near the breast.  Now we can get her to the breast, and we can get her to latch, but she expects an immediate milk reward.  If she doesn't get milk in the first couple of sucks, she screams bloody murder.  I'm thankful my MIL is a nurse (who happened to work in public health to support breastfeeding) so we've devised a feeding plan to coax the baby back.  Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Oh, and because there hasn't been enough cuteness on the board today as I know we're all awaiting Wehrli's photos, here's a sneak preview of Addison's newborn photoshoot.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#71 of 756 Old 04-05-2011, 06:21 PM

Congratulations Wehrli and Silas! Glad that your baby and you are doing well, getting to know each other, and resting and recovering!

Much healing energy coming your way!!!!  hug2.gif  goodvibes.gif

Lela (39) & Irene (54) TCC  #1 stillheart.gif ! Mom to furbabies Bruzier (Chorkie), Diesel (Min-Pin), and Giovanni (Chihuahua).dog2.gif

Multiple ICI's, and IUI's...2009-2011....BFN's

1st IVF August 2011....BFN

1st FET March 2012....BFN

2nd IVF July/August 2012....

#72 of 756 Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 PM

Thanks again, everyone. I'm starting to feel a little less like I got ran over by a freight train, as I type this from my iPad. Silas is a nursing pro-fess-inal! I can't wait to post pics... can't really do that from the iPad and I'm here for until at least Thursday, I should say we... DP has not left our side. the staff here is amazing. Silas has not left our room but for twice for testing (hearing and weight check), and DP went with both times. They really respect our desires in parenting. Glad it was worth a 45 min drive whist in labor, because there is a hospital 5 min from home... But I'm sure things wouldn't be going well there... at.all. MIL brought spare laptop over tonight so i'll try and post pics tomorrow. And catch up on personals!

Library, let's meet that baby! orngbiggrin.gif

Gumshoe, beautiful pics! I think I can't resist doing a newborn shoot now... smile.gif

Love to all!

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#73 of 756 Old 04-05-2011, 08:10 PM

Gumshoe, I hope you're reaading this, your situation made me cry.  Not sure what your MIL has planned, but things I would try in your situation.  

1. Hard as it sounds, bump nursing sessions up to every 2 hours during the day.  Neither of my kids could make it 3 hours.

2. Use the pump to prime the breast.  Pump to let-down, drop the pump and toss the baby on that side.  Keep pumping the other side.  She should get immediate gratification and the pumping the other side will help sustain milk flow.

3. Give her an ounce from the bottle before trying the boob.  It will take the edge off her hunger, and increasing the frequency of nursing will also help with that.  She won't have to be so desperate and can relax into it.

4. If all else fails, try an SNS (supplimental nursing system) or Lact-Aid.  It's basically a bottle with a tube instead of a nipple.  It gets taped onto your nip and baby gets immediate gratification.  You can even move it higher or squeeze to make milk flow faster.  Hospital lactation consultants have them.  Call first to check, tho.

When feeding and pumping can happen at the same time, the fact that you're still living in 2 hour chunks won't be any worse than the cycle you're in now.  Then you can lengthen your cycles when babe and boobs are ready.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#74 of 756 Old 04-05-2011, 08:22 PM

Haven't time for a long post but just wanted to say HELLO!! to Wehrli, so glad to hear from you! and can't wait for pix and details  

and HELLO to Gumshoe and to say that your li'l baby is adorably precious. 

I'm glad you're both well and your babies and partners too. 

More tomorrow xoxoxoxoxox

Love to all xoxo

#75 of 756 Old 04-05-2011, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Gumshoe: First of all, those pics are excruciatingly sweet.  Second, UGH and more UGH on the nursing.  I think that Seraf's ideas sound really promising, and I hope that you find a way to get Addie on the breast asap.  SNS sounds like a good option, if need be.  Third, really glad your appendix seems ok.  You seem to have a surprisingly positive attitude given all you are going through--hang in there!

Wehrli: So happy to hear from you!  YAY for a supportive and respectful hospital staff and for a wonderful DP.  And *fantastic* that Silas is nursing well--what a relief after all you've been through!

Library: Come on, baby girl!  Your turn, little one! 

Escher: Ah, diapers.  I've been thinking alot about this and doing research, including at a natural baby store here in SF this week.  Even though we have a washer, the woman who owns the store said that all cloth diapers need to be washed twice and then dried, sunned, etc.  I'll probably get 5 or so (probably all-in-ones) for days when we're home all day and up for a few extra loads of wash, but DP does most of the laundry and is REALLY averse to what she sees as creating extra work for ourselves (ie, her).  So we'll probably use the non-chemical sposies much of the time.  I did use cloth for DP, but we had a diaper service.  I don't want to do that again because of the harsh chemicals they use to clean the diapers.  Sigh. 

EZ: Still so thrilled about your u/s!

I got a really nice nursing bra at the fancy natural place.  Here's the catch: she measured me and said I am a cup size F!!!  F!!!  I was a C-D before I got preggo.  What the hell will I be when my milk comes in? How am I going to stand upright?!  On the upside, my presentation in Sonoma today went really well.  I love my job.  I also can't believe how beautiful it is here and that I ever left.  What was I thinking?  Oh--that's right--the job (that I love).  I just wish it were located somewhere else--like here. 

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

#76 of 756 Old 04-05-2011, 11:04 PM

Gumshoe, those pictures are so beautiful! I got kind of teary eyed.

AmandaHope - I've gone from an A to a D. I never thought I'd see the day. DP is enjoying it, though. Actually, so am I. I've never felt curvy or this.. female shaped, before.

Wehrli, congratulations, again. I hope you have a speedy recovery and a blissful babymoon. Glad to hear Silas is such a nursing pro.

Escher - We chose not to cloth diaper because we have communal coin laundry in our building, and washing poopy diapers without the consent of all our neighbours seems unneighbourly to me. I wouldn't really care if I found out that someone in the building was CDing and using communal laundry facilities, but I can see how it could wig some people out and I want to respect that. Our building is big enough that I can't go around and get everyone's permission, either.

Starling - do you need extra Fuzzibunz? I have a shi*ton (no pun intended) of hand me downs that we're not using.

AFM: I had a bizarre dream last night that I was in Texas for a mothering.com convention (?) and I met up with most of you, and you decided I was too visibly queer for Texas and endangering us all, and tried to give me a makeover to look straighter, which involved blue eye shadow, cutting my hair, and giving me spit curls. And DP (who is not a vegetarian) had a meltdown because he could not find vegetarian food in Texas. I have no idea where that came from.

Midwife appt tomorrow. I have three midwives, and tomorrow I get to see the one I refer to as "the hot one". At one of my first appointments I asked this midwife what would happen to the material a hospital might deem "biomedical waste", at a homebirth, and she told me that I might stain some sheets, but it wouldn't be the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Which kind of won me over.

#77 of 756 Old 04-06-2011, 04:00 AM

Gumshoe, I forgot to mention that sometimes it's easier to nurse a sleeping baby than a wake baby with 'tude.  Just tickle her lip.  She won't get the psychological benefit from knowing boob=milk, but it will be easier for you body.  I could hardly make milk for the pump, your body will straighten things out.

Escher, flats+EC=perfection.  Long reply tomorrow (oh, except I NEVER washed my dipes twice because flats wash way way easier and, duh, poop goes in the toilet)

#78 of 756 Old 04-06-2011, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I'm sneaking in to say that our downstairs neighbors cloth diaper--flats plus the thirsties covers, mostly. They do a hot wash with natural detergent, and it only takes one cycle. It adds more laundry, but not tons and tons (since they're doing so much anyway). They also have one of those diaper-sprayers that attaches to the toilet so they can rinse out the diapers before they put them in the laundry basket. It's a pretty great system...

And Gumshoe, your daughter is just gorgeous!

Ok, back to my side!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#79 of 756 Old 04-06-2011, 10:28 AM

Hi Everyone,

You all are wonderful. I love that even though I am only 10 weeks pregnant, you're willing to indulge my diaper questions and give me advice. I feel very lucky to be part of this group. love.gif

Isa: Thanks for jumping in! It seems like flats plus thirsties covers could be a good combination for me to try. It's definitely neat that flats can be washed in just one cycle (or hand washed even). The diaper sprayers look useful, but I don't know how hard they are to install. Do you know? My wife and I are not terribly handy, and I feel reluctant to ask my father in law to help install a diaper sprayer....

Seraf: I would love to hear more about why/how flats work well with EC!

Imogenlily: I've wondered too if washing diapers in communal washing machines wasn't polite. At the same time, if I sprayed or rinsed first, they might not actually be that dirty. I don't know. What kind of disposable diapers do you use? Crazy dream you had!

AmandaHope: I agree that diaper services with all their chemicals don't seem dramatically better than sposies. I'm sorry your DP isn't up for cloth diapering, but I understand her needing to protect her energy. It's impressive that you've made it to F!

Library: How are you feeling? I can imagine this last waiting time could be hard.

Wehrli: It's great to hear from you! I'm so glad that nursing is going well and that the hospital is being good to you all. Hooray!

Gumshoe: Those pictures are amazingly darling. What fun! Thanks for your advice on the NT scan. I think the hard thing is that if I had a choice I would rather not parent a child with down syndrome, BUT I hate that if I did the NT scan and got a positive result I would need to risk amnio even though there would be something like a 98% chance that everything was actually fine. I think doing the scan and not doing it both are stinky options. I wish the technology wasn't available. Oh well. Good luck with the breastfeeding! It sounds like Seraf has some great ideas for you, and I'm glad that you have your MIL there to help.

2ez: What are you and your DP thinking about diapers?

Osker: Thanks for sharing your experience. What kind of diapers do you use? How many did you get so that you only have to do laundry twice a week? Where do you soak your diapers if you're doing laundry in the laundry room? When you wash them twice, do you use detergent in the first run but not the second? It's good to know that it is possible even if it isn't easy.

Mizyellow: It's good to remember that part-time cloth diapering is possible, that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. And it's good to hear that hand-washing can work too! Did you hang your diapers to dry after hand washing them? I hope your fetal echocardiogram went well!

Starling: A challenging thing about our laundry situation is that I don't have much control over the cycle--the only thing I can choose is water temperature. I can imagine doing an initial soak in a bucket in our apartment, but I don't know how I would accomplish all the extra rinsing that I hear diapers need. We have top-loaders, so I guess that is good. I should look at fuzzi bunz. Thanks for your advice!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#80 of 756 Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 AM

Just sneaking in here to comment about dipes (a topic about which I'm not just a little obsessed):

I actually installed a diaper sprayer last night. It was EASY. The woman at the cloth diaper store near me said, "Anyone can install it, even if you're someone who breaks everything, like my husband." That cracked me up and gave me confidence. And wow is the sprayer cool (we clearly get totally different "kicks" as parents, I think). 

With DS, we did diapers in shared laundry and could only choose the temperature of the water. I used fuzzi bunz then, and they'd get occasional build up and need stripping (more on that if you want), but mostly it worked quite well with only one wash (which included the FBs and the prefolds we used to stuff them). We now use fitteds and have our own frontloader. We do double wash, but in part I think that's because of the frontloader. Toploaders, which you can load up with water, are the best for diapers, so you could theoretically get away with just one wash. I don't think it HAS to be super complex, particularly if you spray off poop ahead of time.

Good luck figuring it all out...one thing I would say is to not settle fully on one "diapering system" before your babe arrives, because different things, different fibers, etc, work better for different babies and parents.

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#81 of 756 Old 04-06-2011, 10:33 AM

Gumshoe: What Seraf said. Lennon couldn't go 3 hours between nursing sessions til he was 4 months old. He ended up being a chuckaroo. Just the way I like em! Your little Addy is a doll baby. It made my super emotional self tear up.

Gained 10 pounds in a month. Oops. Freaking out just alittle. I am pretty wee sized so 10 pounds is a lot. If I gain 10pounds a month til he comes I could end up weighing.... well a lot. That being said, I am not sure I am quite willing to give up my ice cream habit.

Baby looks AMAZING. Measuring right on, heart looks wonderful. He is head down ( I did headstands in the pool last night, I swear it worked ;) and weighs 1 1/2 pounds! Big boy! Oh and there is def still a whopping penis in there. The closer I get to having my second boy, I am really happy that I am a boy mama. I think it is a perfect fit for me :) And I couldn't imagine Chels with a little girly girl, she would try to force her into pants and into a softball game. haha

Escher: What'd you decide with NT scan?

Seraf: How ya feeling? Can't wait to hear about Sara's testing this month! You guys should come visit next time youcome up this way.

Library: Have you done any nipple stimulation? Not in the fun way, but it can be pretty effective...

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
#82 of 756 Old 04-06-2011, 10:51 AM

Hey ladies~  Went to the midwife this morning and even she's bored!  My blood pressure was slightly elevated and she said "You just need to hurry up and have this baby!"  No kidding!  DP and I have a regimen of Thai curry and...er...nipple stimulation planned for the rest of the week so maybe we can get this ball rolling!

MizYellow~ Careful with your weight! You don't want to end up with diabetes!  That said, I'm currently doing a load of laundry because I got ice cream all over my belly. Klassy!

Gumshoe~ Glad you like the Cracker Barrel blanket holder!  I tell you, that thing has given me more grief than the child ever could.  I won't go into detail/rant mode, but suffice to say my mom has now drawn my sister into the whole thing, calling her to complain (and outright lie!) about me and what a pathetic excuse for a daughter I am. Nice!   I'm very glad you don't have appendicitis, by the way, and hope that whatever the francophones are complaining about turns out to be nothing. 

Wehrli~ Saw baby pix on facebook~ love all that hair!! Silas is a total cutie. Hope you're recovering well and enjoying him.

Escher~ I'm feeling fine, though  I'm mostly tired and sleep a lot. I get winded trying to get up from the sofa, which is always fun.  I think tonight we're going to do Belly Cast #2 which is smaller, just the actual belly, and make this one into a bowl. 

Imogen~ Loving your dream! I'd totally hang out with y'all at a convention, especially if it's in San Antonio and we could eat at Rolando's Super Tacos.  Interesting about the Chainsaw Massacre Waste, good to know. Have fun with the hot midwife!!

Seraf~ How's the 2ww going at your place? How are you feeling?

Almost one~ time for another nap!!

#83 of 756 Old 04-06-2011, 11:45 AM

Escher - for us I'm wondering about doing gDiapers with disposable, biodegradable liners. It seems like a compromise, and less of biohazard for the neighbours. I don't think we can afford to do disposable 7th Generation organic/biodegradable all the time, but the idea of just doing Pampers or something doesn't appeal to me at all.

#84 of 756 Old 04-06-2011, 11:46 AM

LibraryLady - Thai curry and nipple stimulation sounds like a pretty good date night...

Mizyellow - I didn't gain weight evenly, at all. I gained a lot of weight right after my BFP (~10 lbs), then lost weight while I was puking until 24 weeks or so, then gained weight more rapidly than expected but still have only gained 20 lbs. total at 32 weeks. So don't despair if it suddenly shoots up! You probably won't gain at the same rate all the way through.

#85 of 756 Old 04-06-2011, 12:08 PM

Library- I already have diabetes. Haha. So I am doing AWESOME> That being said, my A1C is fine so I am the only one stressin. Oh nipple stimulation, sexy. Enjoy

Imogen- I love love love Gdiapers, a money saving tip:: The flip disposable inserts work very well in the gdiapers and are cheaper. Plus I would get them on diapers.com, you get 20% off for 3 months so stock up!!! I would throw in a pack of the gcloths that you can handwash at home, this will make it as cheap if not cheaper than regular dipes. Pretty much what I did with my first and I felt pretty good about it!

I hope I slow down on the weight gain, I hadn't gained any really so I know I needed to catch up but not that quickly! 20 lbs is a great numberfor 32 weeks! Belly pic?!

#86 of 756 Old 04-06-2011, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Imogen ... If you've got smalls, I'd love to buy them off of you!  Or one-size.  We have lots of meds and larges.

Gumshoe ... There is a great breastfeeding challenges section in the bigger breastfeeding area.  It saved my nursing relationship with dd!  I used a Lact-Aid for over a year with dd and can tell you all about it over the phone or pm.  I detest the Medela SNS.  I can explain all that in a phone call or pm too.  Many hugs to you.  I know how hard it is to be struggling with nursing.  It has forever coloured my first few months with dd, and I hope that you have the supports and stamina to get through it and still be able to revel in your new babe and the beautiful new shape of your family.  hug2.gif 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#87 of 756 Old 04-06-2011, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Oh! Two more things about cloth diapers: 1. if you're looking for used ones, or to get advice on what to buy, there is a TON of information at diaperswappers.com. And 2. if you sign up for Amazon Mom you get three months of free Amazon Prime membership (to use on anything) plus an extra month (up to a full year) for every $25 order of 'baby' stuff you buy. Not to be an ad for them, but I bought all of my friends' shower gifts and a ridiculous amount of stuff for me with 2 day free shipping thanks to that.

smile.gif

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#88 of 756 Old 04-06-2011, 06:42 PM

I wanted to chime in on the daipers with DS up untill we introduced soilids foods his daipers where super easy to just wash in the washer after its been a gross mess if I was doing G diapers I would just do the washables untill the poop lost its nice not smelly breastmilkness 

#89 of 756 Old 04-07-2011, 05:35 AM

Hi ladies. Quick questions...I have had quite the 18 hours. I was at Target shopping when I felt a "gush". I thought it was the progesterone suppositories as they tend to produce discharge on me. Anyway it felt much heavier so I went to the restroom and it was pure red blood. I freaked out to the point that I don't remember leaving Target and driving myself home. I was so scared. I called both my RE and OB, and DP came rushing home from work. I got home and laid down in the bed with my feet up. Luckily, the bleeding stopped after about two hours and I only have the remaining old blood with some brown discharge. The crazy thing is that I never had any cramping, only gas, but not one pain that felt AF like. I'd say it was much more than spotting, but no any clots or tissue. For those of you who have had children, have you ever experienced anything like this? I have an appt scheduled with my OB at 11 and will also have an u/s. I pray that it's not too late and the little bean is still safe inside. I am anxious for the u/s, yet scared to death of what it might show. greensad.gif

Thanks,

Christy

Me (35). DP to S (39) ; Mommy to DS: J (6), Furball Pupps: L (10) & S (1) dog2.gifand a new little baby boy arriving on/around Dec 2.1sttri.gif

#90 of 756 Old 04-07-2011, 06:05 AM

Escher, here is the promised ramble about flat diapers and EC.

So you can take this whole post with a grain of salt, I'm going to admit to a few pet peeves:

I despise bulky diapers

I can't stand diapers that impair mobility 

I hate having to spend money

I hate having to throw things away (especially after one use!) 

I hate the hot jello feeling of a wet disposable

Points about EC that I love:

I think EC rivals co-sleeping and nursing for bonding

immediate gratification 

happy baby the majority of the time

self sufficency.  Like, I don't need "the man" 

baby is always dry

Cheap to free

Points I love about flats:

versital (diaper? washcloth? towel? blanket? sunshade? emergency sling? mop?)

trim

cheap (can't get cheaper than homemade!)

one layer, washes cleaner with 1 wash (prefolds have 6 to 8 layers in the middle)

dry fast

great for traveling

Can be used as an insert for g-diapers or fuzzy bunz

We had a washer and dryer when the kids were born.  When Ari was 11 months we moved to a house where we had to walk about a quarter mile to do laundry (but, trash was just as far).  And we had to pay.  I never even thought about buying diapers at that point.  We did occasionally hand wash diapers.  Really tho, it was like, plug the drain while showering, drop the dipes in (after showering), soak for a while (soap if you're into that, Ari had skin problems for a long time, sometimes her stuff was just washed with baking soda), swish, ring, dunk in rinse water, ring, hang.  Maybe 10-15 minutes of actual work.

When my cousin had a baby I offered to make her diapers.  Basically, if you invest a few dollars in cloth, every time you use one, put a quarter in a jar.  Use that for laundry.  If you have any left over, that's what you saved over disposables.  They cost about a quarter each around here. 

My kids have been everywhere in cloth.  Osh went to Mexico in flats at 13 months.  We took a dozen (didn't take up too much room in the luggage) and hung them to dry until we had used the majority of them and washed them one night in the hotel sink.  Flat diapers can be hung to dry when they have pee on them.  If you go ages between laundry, they don't build up an amonia smell that way.  Ari went all over the south in cloth at 4 months.  Both kids went camping in cloth frequently (I told you the horror story about the one time I bought sposies for a camping trip).  

EC can be done a lot of different ways.  You can use sposies or feel dry cloth (like FB) and offer the potty at diaper changes.  You can go coverless and change with every wet while watching for signals that a wet is coming, offering when you notice.  You can go totally diaperless and simply protect yourself and the furniture in case you miss.  I think there are pros and cons to each system.  The first has less laundry in the short term, keeping a fairly constant number of diapers for quite a while and it's much harder to learn actual signals when you want to increase catches.  The second is going to use a lot of diapers at first and very few diapers within a couple of months (depending on your learning curve, both my kids were out of dipes by 2 months in the house and out until they became mobil).  The third is going to give you a ton of laundry in the beginning, (but it can be towels or anything you have on hand, no investment) and very little within a couple of months, again learning curve.  Some people use a combination, like regular cloth most of the time with a few hours a day dedicated to diaper free and learning signals.  You can use any variation that sounds good at the moment.  It's not a high commitment thing (unless you take 2 or 3 babies outside and realize you locked the keys and diaper bag in house, or, say, walk to the library only to realize that baby has no pants on at all).  I went with #2 for Ari and #3 for Osha.  I only ever used fb on kids I nannied for and I didn't really think they helped me figure out when kid was going.  Also, I think they're bulkier than an origami fold flat tied on.

44e5.jpg boots the monkey   

This was Ari around 2 weeks laying on the bed while we played Dora.  She was boots, obviously.  But the picture is up to show you the diaper fold and it's trimness.  It was a little piece of a flannel sheet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page