Queer and Pregnant: April, May, and June - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Imogen:  Your food plan sounds good to me.  And I'm glad you are happy with the photos.  Remind me when you are due, again?  I teach History and Women's Studies. 

Escher: Yes, the spotting is gone, thankfully.  I had traces of brown blood for a few days after that, but not anymore, and I'm hoping it stays that way.  Today is the day I take the 17P shot, though, so if it comes back, I'll attribute it to that and try not to worry.  I agree that 12 weeks is a huge milestone, regardless of the math.

AFM: DP and I are having conflict over the birth class.  Even though we did a (homebirth) class 9 years ago, I still want to do the Bradley class that our doula is offering.  It starts Sunday.  But we just found out the price ($250), which I'm sure is perfectly reasonable, but on top of the $800 doula fee, is just more than we can swing right now.  DP also feels that it is unnecessary given that we've already been through birth together (and worked together really well, I might add).  I agree that the time commitment, money, and potential repetition/frustration are serious obstacles...but I think I really want to do it because I want the time focusing on the pregnancy with DP (who, as I've discussed, is considerably less enthusiastic about this pregnancy than our first, even though I'm confident that she'll bond well with the child once she is out in the world with us).  I tried to express this to DP, but she seemed to take it more as a criticism (that she isn't more into the pregnancy) than a sincere desire of mine to spend this intimate and unique time together.  I'm thinking that a decent compromise would be doing a short "refresher" course, rather than the full course...if the doula will let us (since the refresher course is really for couples who have taken her own course before).  Sigh.  Thoughts? 

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 07:43 PM

Hey Everyone

So good to come on here and see all the pictures of the new little bubbas... sooooo cute...

As for us down here in Oz ... We inseminated again last night for round 2. Keeping our fingers and toes crossed. We will be inseminating again tomorrow night also. Hopefully something sticks. DP and I have decided no pregnancy tests until after AF hasn't shown up.. It stuffs around with the mind wayyyy to much. We've both decided less stress is better.

Hope everyone is staying positive... we're due for some more BFP's on here again.

xo and babydust to all

Old 04-14-2011, 06:47 AM

Good morning everyone!

AmandaHope, I have been thinking about childbirth classes, too.  We didn't take any before Ari's birth and I called the midwives either in transition or early pushing (Said, "no, don't come out, I can't feel any dilation."  Of course that was because I didn't spread my fingers out far enough, all I could feel was her head) and said, "I am kicking myself for not taking a childbirth class this go-round.  Are there any simple, obvious comfort measures I should be doing?  Early labor is way more intense this time."  LOL, I'm an idiot.  We will take a class this time, partly because Sara has never attended a birth and also, Sara should be pregnant by then.  I didn't learn anything new in childbirth classes, but I think it helped get me in the right mindset.  I would probably only do a refresher course were I in your situation.

Starling, I feel you on wanting to feel movement.  I told Sara I should just pee on another pregnancy test.  I am not even barfing, just a picky eater, so I really don't feel impressed by the presence of a tiny fetus (oh, I think I think I think she's finally a fetus).

Escher, I always heard 12 weeks marked the end of the first trimester.  Heard the rate of miscarriage dropped sharply at 13 weeks.  Of course, the night I hit 13 weeks I thought I lost Osha.  He is fine and here and perfect but I couldn't calm down about him until he started moving.  Once he started, tho, he never stopped.  I was terrified the kid would never sleep.  What am I eating?  Everything and nothing.  I still like cold cereal and hot cereal, pretty much any kind of bread, anything with avocado or fresh tomato or mayo.  What I'm not eating is a longer list.  Meat (besides the occasional bacon cheeseburger) is gross (funny because Ari's pregnancy ended 12 years of vegetarianism when I contemplated stopping my car to bite into some roadkill).  I can't eat potatoes or anything dry.  I can't eat much of anything with a smell that isn't spicy.  I'm really excited to go for Indian food the end of the month after the zoo.  So yeah, I'm eating cold foods, fatty foods and foods without smells.  How about you? 

Ignore the grumpy, 6 am face.  So I'm way bigger than normal, but it sure doesn't look like baby.

IMG_0895.jpg

I have been thinking about the problem of keeping up with both threads.  What if, instead of 2 different threads, we had a monthly chat.  Like they have weekly chats in the DDCs.  I think changing every week would be a PITA but I think it would be nice to have a place for all the chatty queers.  The TTCers and the pregos and even all the parents.  It would be nice not to have to follow both threads and just miss all the girls once they give birth.  I can see a couple of possible issues.  It would be a BIG thread, but really we can all pop in without doing personals whenever we feel like it.  The poor souls who had a sad ending to their TWW might have a harder time participating in a thread where there are new babies being announced.  So, what do y'all think?

Additionally, QOTD.  What are you doing for your pelvic floor?  I can kegal til I'm blue in the face and I will still pee my pants when I sneeze.  I coughed yesterday, which isn't usually a problem, but apparently my little kumquat was stretching her legs at the same time.  I read something about different pelvic floor exercises that strengthen the muscles that pull opposite the muscles you kegal, effectively stretching them, so they pull closer together.  I can't remember where I read about it, but I'm wondering, like I said, about what y'all do.

I am hoping that Sara will be joining us next month.  Or, if we do a combined thread, that much sooner.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
Old 04-14-2011, 09:55 AM

QOTD: what worked *best* for me was this, while on the toilet peeing I would start and stop midstream every time I went. Like a couple of times each go. HTH...

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
Old 04-14-2011, 10:09 AM

Thanks wehrli.  That worked my first pregnancy.  Ari messed me up, good, tho.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:26 AM

Hi Everyone,

Imogenlily: I can imagine that this last bit of waiting must be very hard! I don't have any good movie recommendations, but I sometimes find hulu to be amusing. Good luck keeping yourself entertained!

AmandaHope: I'm sorry you're having conflict with your DP about the birth class. I hope that you're able to find a way for her to be involved with preparing for the birth without it feeling like too much of a burden for her. Good luck!

Seraf: You're looking great! It's funny that potatoes are something you don't like right now. Usually I never eat potatoes, but I've been in love with them lately. I had not even considered my pelvic floor yet. I feel like I'm really behind on this pregnancy thing. I've been so busy trying not to puke and waiting to see if I miscarry that I haven't done much of anything else to prepare. So I guess I should put "figure out what you have to do about your pelvic floor" on my to-do list.

Combining Q&P and QC: I can see how it would be easier to keep track of everyone, but I have to say that for me this would not work terribly well. When I was TTC, especially after our miscarriage, it was sometimes incredibly painful for me to read happy pregnant people's news (I was glad you all were pregnant, just sad that I wasn't too). On these days I was very grateful to be able to avoid most pregnancy talk by just choosing not to read Q&P. Because of that experience, I wouldn't be comfortable posting anything that could be seen as a pregnancy complaint (i.e. feeling sick or worried, people's stupid reactions when we tell them, etc.) on a board that included lots of people TTC. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way. I don't know.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
Old 04-14-2011, 11:23 AM

***Insert dumb dumb preggo girl in TN here***** = (googling pelvic floor - will return soon with my thoughts) dizzy.gif

Me (35). DP to S (39) ; Mommy to DS: J (6), Furball Pupps: L (10) & S (1) dog2.gifand a new little baby boy arriving on/around Dec 2.1sttri.gif

Old 04-14-2011, 11:52 AM

Escher, that's pretty much what I was thinking being the bad thing about it.  I'm sure Sara would be thrilled not to be living with me today, poor kid.  Also, I wouldn't be thinking about birth classes and pelvic floors if I had never given birth before.  I'm serious tho.  Ari made me wet my pants too much.  I think Osha's birth was hard on me.

Christie, don't feel silly for not knowing.  You know about kegels?  They're  pretty popular to prevent urinary incontinence during and after pregnancy.  The muscles get strengthened to clamp the urethra shut, I guess.  I have done them for years without a whole lot of success, so I was asking y'all.  Here is one of the sites I was talking about earlier, Google helped me find it.  Here is part of her blog.  And here is a rebuttal ( don't know if she says good stuff, I got bored watching.  Google for better info).

Old 04-14-2011, 12:06 PM

Seraf: I found out at prenatal yoga that I was kegel-ing wrong. According to my yoga teacher, I was trying too hard. She talked about kegels with an elevator metaphor, and how at first you just get your elevator to go up. Then you get your elevator to come down slowly. Then you practice getting your elevator up, holding it at the "top", and then letting it down slowly. I seemed to be able to get my elevator "up", but then I could never get the hang of the "down". I was engaging my abdominal muscles more than my pelvic floor, and kind of holding my breath rather than breathing with the kegel. Honestly, I find the whole thing kind of confusing. Chiropractic has helped with stress incontinence, because apparently my pelvis was rotated and the nerves were a mess. There's also pelvic floor specific physio, depending on where you live.

Also, wow about being in transition or pushing on your own. I'm always impressed by people who UC, intentional or not. Did it end up being a UC?

Escher: I agree with you about being around pregnant folks being a bit painful after a m/c. I remember getting kind of sad when I'd see pregnant folks in the street.

AmandaHope: We're kind of going through the same thing with prenatal classes. I've taken doula training, and DP has read all of my doula books, so I'd be in it more for psychological aspects of managing labour and preparing for birth than any kind of physiological stuff or learning about the stages of labour or what to expect. DP gets kind of freaked out when he sees me in pain, and I think a good prenatal class would support him with that. We actually have a crunchy prenatal class for queer parents here, which seems ideal, but it's $300. We're trying to figure out if DP's insurance will cover it, since it has a category for nonspecified "prenatal expenses". He really doesn't think it seems worthwhile, but I'd like to make connections with other parents, especially crunchy queer ones. Our doula has offered us private prenatal classes for $75, but there'd be no connections with other parents. Let us know what happens, and if you end up doing the refresher. It sounds like a good compromise.

AFM: Amanda, you also asked about my due date - it's May 29. I'm two weeks away from full term at this point, so I'm not asking for an induction or drinking the castor oil, or anything else besides joking about luring the baby out now. I'm just antsy, and honestly, tired of being pregnant. I had medical issues earlier on, so I've been off work since 15 weeks, and I'm really bored. Starting on Tuesday I will be seeing my midwives once a week from here on out.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:51 PM

What if we kept our TTC and Q&P threads separate but had a queer parenting chatty thread? Keeping it light hearted and not focused on all things pg or TTC. Just an idea. smile.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
Old 04-14-2011, 01:49 PM

Hey ladies~  Stupid internets!! Our router was busted or something for the last couple of days so I've been missing you all. Of course bambina's constant fun and excitement, but I do miss checking in on everyone. 

AHope~ We loved our Bradley classes, though they were not cheap. Granted, we didn't have doula expenses, so for us it wasn't as tough a decision, but I found them incredibly worthwhile, especially when we got into the thick of things. It was good knowing what to expect and to have some sort of equipment for going into the toughest parts. BUT y'all have a kid already, so it might not be as crucial for you.  

Seraf~ I'm cracking up about the biting into roadkill! It's true that the last couple of weeks I'd have eaten raw steak if DP would have let me, it just looked so very satisfying!  I had/have low iron, though, so I don't know if that plays any part.   I'm sorry you're not looking as preggy as you want, but I think you're making a good start.  I also laughed at 'I guess I'm not even dilated!' when in fact, yes.  So, yeah, our education went a long way.  When I was telling my dad about the experience, he said he was proud of me and then said "So, be honest, was it really that bad? Or did the techniques you learned help that?"  I had to tell him that while the techniques helped, there were parts that were 'really that bad.'  Men. Bless their hearts.

Escher~ I'm so glad to see your ticker movin' on up!  It must feel a little better every day, eh?  

Starling~ How you doin?  How's your smelly job treating you? I hope your baby's moving like crazy very soon. There's nothing more reassuring it's true.

Imogen~ Not long now!!  I'm glad you haven't started with the castor oil yet, but I'm sure it won't be that much longer.

Christy~ HI!!  Still feeling good? Your uterus behaving!?  I'm still so happy the bleeding stopped. 

I'm missing people and apologize, but wanted to say hi while my internets are working. 

Here's a different link to photoshttp://flickr.com/gp/britoutofwater/Bm7c45   I have it from good sources that this link actually works, so that'll help, eh?   Being a mom is fun and hard, just like I thought. She was up all night last night for the first time, so that was a challenge but then this morning I learned I'm able to sleep through a City crew cutting down and woodchippering trees in the alley outside my bedroom window, so that's fun! 

I agree I'd like some sort of combo thread so I can keep up with all my peeps, but do know for sure how hard it can be sometimes to read about others' good news. I think we should continue to explore possibilities. 

Love to you all~ more soon xoxoxox

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

Old 04-14-2011, 04:13 PM

library, Alice is beautiful! love the sock monkey hat!! glad you were finally able to share a link that worked... i've been dying to see pics of that sweet little girl!

Old 04-14-2011, 04:52 PM

Thanks so much, Wehrli.  The sock monkey hat is a triumph, made by a fantastic friend of mine. She made us a sock monkey afghan to go with it. It's way too big for her head, but that just means more time to wear it.  Not everyone can have the stunning head of hair that Silas has ;)

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

Old 04-14-2011, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Library- What a little cutie. I love the picture of your little fam!

Seraf- you are tiny.

I am so tired it is making me cry. And I have 4 weeks of homework to shove into the next 7 days, I am the maid of honor in a wedding all weekend, and I just got 2 new clients. I quit.

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
Old 04-14-2011, 06:10 PM

Wehrli, I made a chatty thread, I like the idea.  Now no one will be able to keep up!

Imogene, yeah, she was an oops UC (randomly her whole birth story was published in the book Simply Give Birth by Heather Cushman Dowdee, creator of the Hathor and Mama Is comics).  I learned about the elevator way in one of the Sears books back when I was a nanny and they were the only nap time reading material I could find.

Library, wonderful pics.  You're all so cute!

Old 04-15-2011, 05:53 PM

A whole day of radio silence!  How are y'all?

For anyone else with a love affair with hot sauce, we had buffalo chicken dip with our dinner tonight.

I briefly thought I felt movement today.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh--so are well all posting over on the chatty thread, now?  I miss you all!  Meanwhile, we had our first appt with the new midwifery group today.  The midwife we met today is SUPER laid back, the complete opposite of the medicalized midwives that I had before.  I'm hoping that the other three in the practice represent more of a middle ground.  I like the one today--great attitude and energy--I'm just not sure what it would take to actually faze her, if you kwim.  Still not sure what we are doing about the birth class, since the doula hasn't gotten back to me (hope I didn't make her mad).  I'm skipping out on an event tonight to stay home and take it easy.  I'm never the one to do that, but I'm really craving some time all comfy in bed with lots of pillows and some books.  Or maybe some tv time on the couch.  Just *alone* and *quiet.*  Ah...

Crosspost; Seraf: movement!  How exciting!  I hope it picks up soon so you can be sure.  My little one was hilarious at the m/w appt today--every time she'd get the doppler in the right spot, the babe moved sharply--I could feel it strongly.  She must not have liked the doppler.  Hmm.  DD was the same way; during our one u/s, she so persistently turned her back on the sensor thingy that even the doctor got frustrated.  Maybe this technology is less pleasant for the babes than we'd like to think...or maybe I just have uncooperative, stubborn girls (not at all unlikely given our experience thus far ;-). 

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:22 PM

AmandaHope, I've been waiting for activity on here all day, didn't feel like I should post twice in a row!  I think I'm feeling movement, I have felt it a couple of times today.  I felt the other 2 really early, I'm thinking it's still pretty freaking early tho, right?  So maybe it's just the bean burrito I ate for lunch.  I refused doppler for the same reason I refuse ultrasounds (haha, not like anyone is offering lately, I still haven't set up an appointment for a doctor yet.  I'm thinking going to the same practice as my SIL would be asking for trouble since we have the same name).  I doubt you made your doula mad, hopefully you find exactly what you're looking for in the midwives who attend you.  All my midwives were really laid back, but that's the kind of thing I go for.

Oh, they totally did a thing on NPR about the progesterone shots.  They're saying that some of the pharmacies that made it before are going to continue to make it, I guess.  Don't know if this is old news to those of you taking it, but I was thinking of y'all when I heard it on the radio the other day.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:13 AM

2HappyMamas had her baby
at 4AM this morning !

Congrats !!

champagne.gif

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

Old 04-16-2011, 07:18 AM

Yay for 2 Happy Mamas!  Do we know any stats?

Old 04-16-2011, 09:54 AM

Wow, so much has happened and I don't even know where to begin.  I'm glad everyone is doing well, coping, surviving or living it up!  I'm going to give up on personals for now...my apologies.  Parenting a 13 and 15 year-old and a perpetually hungry baby is delightfully kicking my butt!

Here's a brief update on the breastfeeding saga - Last Friday I saw another lactation consultant at a well baby clinic and she got us on to a nipple shield.  With that tool (and I was reluctant to use it) the baby returned full-time to the breast.  The baby seemed to easily take the transition from the plastic bottle to the plastic nipple.  But she stopped hating the breast and that was a big step forward!  The mastitis has resolved and my milk supply has thankfully recovered.  I'm super happy to no longer have to supplement with formula.

On Monday, I started to wean her from the nipple shield.  She did that relatively well.  Only she wouldn't take the nipple directly into her mouth.  I had to sandwich it for her in order to get her to latch on.  By the end of the day, my nipples were damn sore and I knew we had a latch issue.  Overnight I continued to use the nipple shield.  Everyday this week we repeated the formula.  Latching with a sandwich during the day and nipple shield at night. I really tried to work on our latch at each feeding session. The baby continued to gain weight, but I was really concerned about the latch issue and how long it was taking me to do each feeding.

Yesterday I went back to the well baby clinic to see the lactation consultants again.  At first they were confused by why the baby would fall asleep at the breast, but then pop off with a full mouthful of milk.  Then they watched her struggle and struggle to stay on the breast.  The baby started to wail and they got a good look into her mouth.  It was like a lightbulb went off at the same time for both of them.  See, our first lactation consultant (J.) only quickly looked at her mouth, and then the lactation consultant last week (B.) - who happens to work with J. - assumed she had done the check so didn't do it.  It turns out they believe the baby has a posterior tongue tie!!!  So, this week we're off to a pediatric dentist or to get an ENT consult to see if we can get her tongue clipped.

On a funny note, it turns out that I'm tongue-tied too.  My DW said, "Well that explains so much about you."  Notably, um, why I tire so easily doing some wifely duties ;)

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:59 AM

Hi Everyone,

2 Happy Mamas: Congratulations! joy.gif I look forward to hearing the details.

Gumshoe: I'm sorry that you've had to deal with so many breastfeeding challenges, but it sounds like you're making good progress. It's exciting that you may have found the big issue!

Seraf: How cool that you're feeling some movement! Your new chatty thread looks like fun. I'm having too much trouble with the threads I'm already following to join in a new one, but I think it is neat to have a place for the whole queer parenting community to come together!

AmandaHope: I'm glad your first meeting with the new midwives went well. I hope that the others in that practice are exactly what you want. And I hope that your alone time was terrific!

Mizyellow: Good luck with all your work! I hope that you get to a calmer place soon.

Library: I love your pictures! What a sweet family you have.

AFM: I am very grateful to no longer be gagging all the time, but I'm wondering when I'm going to stop feeling nauseous and when eating is going to stop being such a chore. Sorry to complain.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
Old 04-16-2011, 10:38 AM

Gumshoe, I'm so glad you hear that you girls are getting it all worked out.  I'm in awe to see your dedication to a boobie baby.  Hopefully the tongue clipping will make life all perfect.

Escher, I was about to send out a search party, hadn't heard from you in so long.  I'm glad to hear you're doing better, sorry you're not feeling 100% yet.  Hopefully you soon get to experience the joy of feeling like you're starving all the time and would happily eat anything you could catch.

It's a rainy, funky day here.  We were planning to build a swingset and maybe till up the garden, but instead I guess we're going to sew up some more baby clothes.  I got a couple of merino wool sweaters at the thrift store that I am debating turning into several pairs of longies, shorties or bum sweaters.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:51 PM

I think I might be getting close - I lost more mucous plug last night, and baby has noticeably dropped. Hmm. Seeing the midwife on Tuesday, hopefully she'll have some insight. My belly feels really weird, which isn't much of a descriptor, but it is what it is.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:03 PM

Imogen, holy mackerel, you're not really term yet, are you?  Good luck.

We have been sewing today.  Cut up a sweater and made oodles of soakers.  They're all newborn size, so I can't use that many.  If anyone would like one let me know.  

Old 04-16-2011, 04:15 PM

Nope, not term. Started losing mucous plug a couple weeks ago, but not all of it, so midwives told me to sit tight. I'm 35 weeks this week. I could be misinterpreting the dropping - though DP says my belly looks noticeably lower, but I am completely sure I lost a bunch more mucous, so who knows. A bunch of BHs but nothing like a real contraction. I was trying to take it easy before this, but now I'm going to take it really easy, at least until I see the MWs. I probably won't be going out of town for that family picnic tomorrow, just in case anything were to happen, I want to be near the hospital I'm pre-registered at. The good news is that in the last couple of days the baby also flipped to vertex, so that's one less thing to worry about.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Imogen ... If you need anything, PM me and I'd be happy to run anything over or do any errands that you need done!

Gumshoe ... So good to hear an update!  And kudos to you for persevering on the nursing!  We struggled and struggled and then all of a sudden it got easier, or it got normal (for us that meant supplementing with a Lact-Aid system) and life carried on in a much more sane fashion.  These early days are tender and raw.  Take good care of yourself!

escher ... Lucky you that your nausea is easing!  Mine is still kicking my rear end.  I'm fifteen weeks and still puking.  Twice today.  Twice yesterday (once on the corner of 1st and Commercial at three in the afternoon, which Imogen will appreciate) with E on my back in the Ergo, bent over, losing my passionfruit tea and salad rolls all over the sidewalk.  Now even salad rolls are tainted.  Nothing left that I want to eat!  People say that I'm hardly showing, and I think it's likely that I've lost weight with all the food aversion and puking.

seraf ... I'd love one, but I'm way up yonder in Canada. 

library ... Loved the pics!  And as for your mss, it'll be a while, as I just got my edits back from my publisher.  But I figure that's okay with you because you'll be rawther preoccupied for the next little while.  And as for my other, stinkier job, still nasty.  Barfed in the back of the ambulance the other day.  I felt it coming on, sat the patient up a bit, threw on the exhaust fan and discreetly lost my lunch while the patient was none the wiser.  Blah!  I did score a coup though, I got into a two day training course which means I won't have to actually BE on the ambulance for those two days, and I still get paid and I get educational credits (which we need to accumulate each year anyway), so hallelujah for that.  I'm looking forward to it!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 04-16-2011, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Imogen: My DD was born at 35 weeks, and she was fine.  She had nasty jaundice, but she probably would have had it at term, anyway, because it was due, in part, to a blood type incompatibility.  Breathing could be an issue at 35 weeks, but I doubt you'd be dealing with anything too frightening.  They may or may not give you steroids to mature the babe's lungs--it might depend on estimated size of the baby via u/s.  Anyway, I probably wouldn't head out of town, either, if I were you. But I'm hopeful that you can keep the little one in there a bit longer and that all will be fine no matter how things go at this point.  You seem nice and calm--good luck to you! 

Seraf:  Wow--home made soakers.  I did decide to do cloth diapers at least part time, so I'd appreciate one of yours if you really have extra.  Do your kids help you with the sewing? 

Gumshoe: Tongue tied!  Who knew?!  No wonder you've all been struggling so much.  Poor thing--is clipping it painful? I bet you'll be amazed how easy nursing is once she is all healed up.  In the meantime, I'm really impressed by your persistence and resourcefulness. 

AFM: Four hours at the aquarium left me ready to fall over today.  I'm SO TIRED all of a sudden.  I slept in the car on the way home. And this was after a full night of decent sleep!  I'm really hoping this is a passing phase, because I can't be like this for months at a time.  The aquarium was cool, though.  The jelly fish exhibition was fantastic.

Starling: crosspost--so sorry you are still puking twice a day.  YUK.  The description of the downtown episode with DD on your back is priceless.  I just wish it would stop already!

Escher: glad your m/s is letting up.  Whew!

Old 04-17-2011, 05:48 PM

Hi Everyone,

AmandaHope: I think jelly fish are amazingly cool too. I'm glad that the exhibit was great. I hope that you feel less tired soon! When is your semester over? Are you teaching (or do you have to do research or other work) this summer?

Starling: I'm so sorry that you're still feeling so sick! That's awful. When did you start to feel better when you were pregnant with E?

Imogenlily: How are you doing? I'm thinking about you!

Seraf: I'm so impressed with all your baby prep! I would love one of your soakers if you wanted to send one my way. Do you use a pattern? How do you figure out how big to make them? I have an old sweater I want to cut up, but I feel like I don't know how to do it. I was telling my wife yesterday that I'm glad that I get to hear regularly about your philosophy about baby stuff (especially your ideas that kids don't have to cost a lot and that you can make most of what you need). It's a good antidote for me to the constant messages that babies need five million objects, most of which are plastic and/or expensive.

AFM: We've now managed to tell all of our parents, siblings, and all the grandparents who we need to tell (our parents will tell some of them). Next up are cousins and aunts and uncles. It still feels kind of crazy to be telling people. I'm not really showing yet, and I haven't felt any movement, so it doesn't feel especially real. I'm hoping that it feels more real soon.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Escher: It is strange how it doesn't feel real for quite a while.  It is exciting that you got to tell so many family members.  How did they react?  Regarding my semester, it is over in 3 1/2 weeks (not that I'm counting...).  These are going to be REALLY packed weeks, though, so I'm trying to gear up.  But then it will get very quiet, very fast.  After about May 12th, the only work I'll be doing until the baby comes is revising my book manuscript and sample chapters to send out to publishers, which I really should have done about a year ago.  I'm hoping for at least two full months of full-time work on the revisions, and I'm really excited to be able to focus on that, instead of trying to jam it in around constant meetings and teaching prep.  Remind me again what you do for work?

Imogen: What's up?  Thinking of you.

We sucked it up and went to the birth class today.  I agree with DP that it is a more time and money than we really need to spend, but she is ok with it as a way to support me, which I really appreciate.  The doula isn't currently planning any refresher  courses, so oh, well.  And we agreed that DP doesn't have to come every single time.  There are several doulas in training there who can fill in for her those times.  We also decided to skip a few of the books, like the Bradley book about husband-coaching birth.  We have another Bradley book that says a lot about coaching, and this particular one looked really painfully gendered.  While the teacher of the class is good about being gender neutral (except for referring to the preggos as "the  moms," which is annoying, since DP is a mom, too), the materials not only constantly refer to the husbands, but also use outdated and overly conventional scenarios.  I can't believe that no one has updated these books.  There was also a doula in training at the class who is due with her SEVENTH kid next week.  WOW.  And she looks about our age--mid 30s.  Six of them have been born at home, and her labors are down to about 1 1/2 hours (between when she knows she is in labor to when the babe is born).  Sheesh. Time to make some matzo balls for the feminist vegetarian seder I'm leading on campus on Tuesday evening.  Do I get extra points on Seraf's crunchy quiz for that? wink1.gif

User Tag List