Mothering Forum banner

Queer and Pregnant: April, May, and June

35K views 755 replies 47 participants last post by  seraf 
#1 ·
joy.gif
Welcome queer and pregnant folks!
joy.gif

This is the list for April, May, and June.
If you want to be added, just post in bold with your due date. Also, if you have recently had your babe(s), please chime in with the name and birth date in bold. If your information is not correct or has changed, please also post in bold so that I can get it corrected!!

bellycast.gif
Pregnant
bellycast.gif

July 2011

pigirl, EDD July 21
MizYellow, EDD July 25
AmyPDX, EDD July/Aug?

JesseW, EDD July 26

August 2011
AmandaHope, EDD August 3

Kredmon, EDD August 6

Crunchybug, EDD August 8

October 2011

Cakahy, EDD October 1

Starling&Diesel, EDD October 6

julietea8, EDD October 12

Escher, EDD October 27

November 2011

DAWNMP1, EDD November 1

seraf, EDD November 8

Albafan15, EDD November 11

AprilGlynn, EDD November 12

December 2011

2ezforyou, EDD December 1

Indigo and DP, EDD December 31

January 2012

KellySF, EDD January 3

Want2BeMumX2, EDD January 8

February 2012

CrystalPerez, EDD February 3

March

AmyFemme and DP, EDD March 10

babyf.gif
Graduates
babyf.gif

Cejae: Emmerson and Parker, born 5/22/11

Painefaria: Keegan, born 5/23/11

Imogenlily: Soloman Dov, born 5/3/11

2HappyMamas: baby (name?), born 4/16/11

bttrflygypsy: Elliot Graham, born 4/15/11

LibraryLady: Alice Meredith, born 4/8/11

wehrli & jenmostoften: Silas Scott, born 4/4/11

gumshoegirl007: Addison Alexis Réal, born 03/24/11

Beastie: Esther, born 3/13/11

Burg: Reed Kylie, born 02/05/11

korey: Baby girl T, born 01/30/11

Coco99: Chloe and Charlie, born 01/30/11

abeecharmer: Violet and Felicity, born 01/10/11

mtnlisa: Josie Anne, born 12/18/10

Kimlyn32: Kacey Elaine, born 12/13/10

erthe_mama & fsonj: Vida, born 11/23/10

Monarchgrrl: Sophia Elizabeth, born 11/2/10

quasar & smartycat: Charles Jeffery, born 10/29/10

Mistral: Olivia Grace, born 10/18/10
Lyndzies: Cadence James, born 10/15/10
FTMPapa: Elise Ember Soliel, born 10/3/10
megan_sacha: Zivia Littlewood, born 8/23/10
mpkgoddess: Catherine Margaret (Cate), born 8/18/10
Osker & H: daughter, born 8/11/10
jjnoho: Sam, born 7/8/10
Megincl & Ktcl: Wylie Grace, born 7/4/10
ksdoulamama: Grace Elizabeth, born 5/17/10
pleasantlyfurious: Leo Sebastian, born 5/16/10
kelly: Asa Brent, born 4/29/10
wishin'&hopin': Henry, born 4/10
Indigoscot: son, born 1/24/10
kjm: Kale, born 1/12/10
Carmen358: Skylar, born 12/30/09
Kelmendi: Simon, born 12/23/09
babyfatty: Henry Earl, born 12/9/09
Beth: Hazel, born 11/19/09
Scalpel: Nathan Fisher & Maxwell Edward, born 11/3/09
Denny_Zoo29: Dekaylee May Katherine Bond, born 10/29/2009.
Jodybird511: Asher, born 10/9/09
Wazzmum: Tate, born 9/15/09
Raene & River: Cedar, born 8/30/09
DM630: Amelia, born 8/14/09
ninefirefly: daughter, born 7/31/09
Serenekitten: Asher, born 7/21/2009
QTRANDI: Rudy, born 7/7/2009
JennM1021: Alexander, born 6/29/2009
Lexbeach & Lena: Leo, born 6/26/2009
Heart-N-Bones: Ella Grace, born 4/22/2009
Quasar & Smartycat: Raymond Joseph, born 4/5/2009
Pranava: Zion, born 3/24/2009
Giggleblue: "A", born 3/16/2009
Pigirl: Baby, born 1/30/2009
Starling and Diesel: Esme, born 1/30/2009
2happymamas: Colette (Coco), born 1/5/2009
Simcon: "G", born 12/28/2008
MujerMamaMismo: Sebastian Felix, born 12/21/2008
Tigermiep & M: Anders Xavier, born 12/11/2008
JenInMpls & Jo: E.W., born 10/24/2008
Becca: Phoebe Joy, born 10/9/2008
Scalpel & Darcie: Alexis Jean, born 8/29/2008
Venustx: Levi, Sage, and Jillian, born 8/12/2008
AngelaM: Ocean Rae, born 8/10/2008
mamimapster: Jocheved (Julia) Hadassah Bat Sara V' Miriam, born 7/15/2008
kk_davey: Grier, born 7/7/2008
MollyKenzie: Lucy & Edie, born 6/18/2008
rightkindofme: Shanna Francesca, born 5/24/2008
TheGirls: Alexandra Kathryn Stay, born on 5/12/2008
thismama: Zelda, born 5/6/2008
mamastotwo: son & daughter, born 5/2/2008
msjodi: Delaney Cait, born 5/1/2008
Jentina & Sarah: Ellis Thomas, born 2/20/2008
NZmumof2 & Leah: Florence, born 1/23/2008

candle.gif
Recovering from Losses, to Rejoin Us Soon
candle.gif

RainbowValleyMama

baby.fatty

CrystalPerez

Jen
Snoopy13 (JD)
Lemurmommies
Miss Scarlett
Astropeep and FozzieBear
Milletpuff

Lisedea

kgulbransen

Fivegrandbaby

[NOTE: Any EDDs over a month old without a birth announcement will be deleted.]

See less See more
#227 ·
Hi ladies. Just stopping by to say hi. I've been slacking lately.

Went to see my RE yesterday, hoping to be released, but no such luck. We had our u/s and saw the baby, and were able to hear the heartbeat! Such an amazing feeling. It took my breath away when we heard it. The heart sounded strong and had a beat count of 147. The baby is measuring 6w4d as of yesterday, so a few days behind, but the doctor thinks all looks good the development. The bad news is that they've officially diagnosed me with a SCH - subchorionic hematoma. The SCH is a fairly good size with a 2 - 2.5 cm measurement compared to the sac size. My RE isn't worried at this point and said it was well within their "comfort" range, but she wants to monitor it weekly. I will have another u/s on Monday to get another measurement. Until then, I am on bed rest for the next two weeks. I am really struggling with doing this, but am really trying. I am so OCD and ADD at times! I can never relax.
whistling.gif
I am laying low all this week, but do have to go to Nashville on Thursday for meetings. I will stay in bed for the rest of the week and weekend until Monday. I've done alot of reseach on the SCH, and while they seem common for some women I still can't help but be very worried.
greensad.gif
The good news for me is that I haven't had any bleeding for 10 days now. Yippee! Fingers crossed I have no more bleed outs.

Hope everyone is feeling well!

#228 ·
My water didn't break, but I was having regular, hard contractions, so we went to the ER. They did an internal, and I was 1.5 cm dilated - not terrible, I've heard stories of mamas spending the last couple weeks of pregnancy walking around at 4 cm or more! Ended up with the full gamut of amnio (baby's lungs still aren't 'done'), steroids, and Procardia for at least this week. Has anyone ever taken Procardia? I'd be interested in hearing your experiences - PM me if you feel like sharing. I'm a little wigged out by how many medications/interventions I've already had during this pregnancy. It hasn't been the all-natural, hands-off experience I hoped for. I have great midwives, and everything thus far has truly been necessary, it just wasn't what I expected at all.

In other, less harrowing news: some friends have deciding to start TTC!! I am SO excited. I'm basically the first person in my social circle to have a baby. They've asked me to be a preconception doula - an idea that I think was mentioned earlier in this thread - and their birth doula when the time comes. I'm pretty ecstatic about the whole thing. DH is having a hectic week at work, and he's so stressed between baby stuff and work stuff and doing my share of things around the house

Julietea - I really hope you get a gentle and loving response from your DPs family! Good luck and warm thoughts. Funny you should mention it - Never Let Me Go is actually one of my favourite movies! I think it came out shortly after our BFP, so I have only seen it while pregnant, and never while not pregnant, and I have no idea if it would make me bawl while not pregnant, but it definitely does pregnant - every time. Of course, so do particularly moving TV commercials ;)

Mizyellow - congratulations on that foot! So awesome. Soon your LO will be going like this:
energy.gif

EZ - I can totally relate to getting squirrelly on bedrest, even moderate bedrest. Are you keeping yourself entertained? Distraction has been the best thing to keep me from excessive worry. PM me if you're restless, we can play online Scrabble or something.

Starling - Thanks so much for your offer of errands, etc. I'm really sorry to hear that your struggles with nausea continue. It should be stopping any time now, right? I puked a bunch of times in the bathroom at Cafe Deux, and also at Bon's. I'm pretty sure Bon's has seen worse, though.

#229 ·
Imogen ... Glad to hear that Baby is still snuggled where it's nice and warm and cozy. Keep knitting that baby!

And what on earth possessed you to go to Bon's while pregnant!?!? Were you craving their eggs? I think not. Their sauteed mushrooms? I think not. Perogies? Oi. That place is so nasty.

But I love it! And so cheap!

Are you risked out of a homebirth now? Or can you birth at home if you make it to 36/37 weeks? I'm sure you have all kinds of mixed emotions of how your pregnancy has progressed. Pretty soon you'll be nursing that little one on your blissful babymoon, and all of this will become foggy memories.

AFM: Still sick! I puke on the Critical Care Ward a the hospital yesterday, in front of the nursing staff and my patient! No one batted an eye, just launched into their own pregnancy-nausea stories. I love health care workers! I also snuck into the trauma bay and borrowed the doppler to check on the baby. I just am so anxious in this phase where I can't feel Baby moving! There I was, stretched out on the bed, zipper down, lube and probe nearing my nether region. Good thing no one walked in and caught me like that! That'd would've been quite the site! Paramedic appearing to be wanking off in the trauma bay. The trauma nurse knew that I was in there, thank goodness. I found Baby's heartbeat right away -- 150 -- and then s/he rolled away, and it took a few second to find it again. That, of course, reminds me that babies don't like Dopplers. I'll stop when I feel you kickin', babe!

We've decided to likely find out the genital indication, for lack of a better way to describe it. We change our minds on a daily basis, but that's the way we're leaning today. I'm almost 16 weeks, so another four weeks of waffling until we actually need to decide.

Did I mention in this thread that we got into a co-op? We did! We're selling our place and forgoing owning while the kids are small. We want to homeschool, and won't be able to do it with this big of a mortgage. We're super excited! And it's got three bedrooms! Whoo hoo! We'll likely buy an investment property so as not to fritter away the money we have in this place.

escher ... If a babe needs ongoing nutrients then I'm in trouble! Not being able to keep much down and not wanting to eat anything = not much in the nutrient department at all. Shakes? Tried those? WIth some Extreme Green in it?

ez ... It would be worrying to have a SCH. I'm glad that you've got good care and are getting support. Here's to an uneventful pregnancy from here on in!

yellow, that's awesome about feeling the foot! I remember rubbing E's foot toward the end, where it was lodged under my ribs. After she was born, my hand still went to that place, expecting to feel that wee nub.

#232 ·
Hey everyone! How's it going and how's everyone feeling? It's too soon for babies, so I hope they're all still baking away.

Juliet~ Ugh ugh ugh! I'm sorry about your dp's family and their less-than-welcoming stance. I know I am incredibly lucky in my in laws. I hope that the baby might change some minds. If not, I wish you strength and hope that you have a supportive family of choice to love and support you.

Imogen~ BABY STAY IN!! It sounds like you're being well-monitored, though, and that your kiddo's well able to thrive if they do decide to debut, but I'll send all my baby-staying-in vibes your way x

Starling~ FOOD STAY IN! It can't be easy to cope with the fatigue etc and then being barfy and hungry on top of that. It's so nice you're able to monitor heartbeats etc with your work equipment though I also love the idea that you could possibly be causing scandal. I'm all about the scandal!! I also love you talking about rubbing the baby's foot. I would rub Alice's pointy li'l butt, and still put my hand on the spot expecting to feel it. I hope your little'un moves around soon so that you can feel more assured.

Escher~ Glad you're feeling better and hopefully you'll be able to feed yourself up soon. Your 2nd trimester energy surge will come along and you'll be boogieing around in no time x

Miz Yellow~ Yay for feet! And I have to ask, if this babe had been a girl, would you have named her Starr?

Christy~ UGH for bedrest! But I'm GLAD GLAD GLAD they're taking care of you and that the kiddo's doing well. Whatever it takes, I know.

AFM~ Having a nice time with my dad's visit. He's very laid back and low key and we get along much better than I do with my mom. He's been doing yardwork and is going to be installing new smoke detectors etc. We went to the pediatrician this morning and Alice is slow to gain weight. Not dangerously low, but slower than the doc would like. I explained her eating/sleeping patterns and my concerns and it's been determined that Little Miss Alice is a Lazy Eater and as of now she's on a stricter feeding schedule. She doesn't realize this because she's having her extended afternoon nap, but tonight she's going to be sad sad sad and so are we. It's going to be tough, but if she's not gaining like she should, and really not sleeping at night then something's got to happen. I feel like I've just had breastfeeding problems from the beginning~ not a complete inability to feed, but just little troubles here and there. The horrible nurses at the hospital (not my labor and delivery nurses which were amazing, but the 'regular' nurses who cared for us in the two days we stayed there after she came) were so unsupportive and so undermining it made me feel inadequate and defensive from the very start. Then with the oddness of her constant feeding and not sleeping at night I was afraid I wasn't feeding her enough, and then today when she hadn't gained enough it felt even worse and I just keep being afraid they're going to say 'Give up! Just put her on the formula, obviously you can't do this' but the doc was very supportive and reassuring and both let me know that it's more her wanting the comfort of the constant breast and not my inability to provide for her. So I'm still feeling a bit overwrought, but I think maybe we're on the road somewhere. Still, it's going to be a long night. I've offered my dad ear plugs. We'll see how it goes.

Big hugs everyone xoxox

#233 ·
Library: You are anticipating a tough night because you're not going to let her sleep on the breast? I'm just trying to understand the situation. With DD, for the first few weeks, we had to take her clothes off and/or put a cool washcloth on her feet or head to wake her up enough (and keep her awake enough) to eat enough at each feeding. It sucked, but it only lasted about 10 days, and then she started eating better on her own. I did continue to let her fall asleep while nursing, though (as long as she'd been nursing wakefully long enough to eat enough), which I should have stopped by 3-6 months or so, because she STILL struggles hard to get to sleep. She is not a self-soother, I'm afraid. But this early, I'm not sure that forcing Alice to sleep without nursing will do much good, since she isn't really old enough to establish clear patterns. But that's just my sense of things--not advice. I know we all need to do what we feel is best. I'm glad that your doc is supportive. The feeling of inadequacy that you describe is really painful, and the nurses at the hospital should be ashamed of themselves for instilling that in you when you are most vulnerable after birth and while initiating breastfeeding. You CAN do it and you ARE doing it--so I hope you keep getting support from kind, knowledgeable people who want you to succeed. Do you have a La Leche League group in your area? They are amazing resources (if somewhat pushy at times).

How is everyone else today?

#234 ·
Library, in case you're up, Ari was a beastly baby. Turned out she had food issues (chocolate and dairy, but chocolate made her scream). Some things that helped were vertical holds and swaddling. Don't know if they'll help you, but good luck.

Escher, I lost 12 pounds the first tri w Osh, he came out great. It will be ok.

#235 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaHope View Post

Library: You are anticipating a tough night because you're not going to let her sleep on the breast? I'm just trying to understand the situation. With DD, for the first few weeks, we had to take her clothes off and/or put a cool washcloth on her feet or head to wake her up enough (and keep her awake enough) to eat enough at each feeding. It sucked, but it only lasted about 10 days, and then she started eating better on her own. I did continue to let her fall asleep while nursing, though (as long as she'd been nursing wakefully long enough to eat enough), which I should have stopped by 3-6 months or so, because she STILL struggles hard to get to sleep. She is not a self-soother, I'm afraid. But this early, I'm not sure that forcing Alice to sleep without nursing will do much good, since she isn't really old enough to establish clear patterns. But that's just my sense of things--not advice. I know we all need to do what we feel is best. I'm glad that your doc is supportive. The feeling of inadequacy that you describe is really painful, and the nurses at the hospital should be ashamed of themselves for instilling that in you when you are most vulnerable after birth and while initiating breastfeeding. You CAN do it and you ARE doing it--so I hope you keep getting support from kind, knowledgeable people who want you to succeed. Do you have a La Leche League group in your area? They are amazing resources (if somewhat pushy at times).
Thread crashing to add to amandahope's post for library! DD was a total snoozer while nursing. We also used to nurse skin to skin and blow on her to wake her up. I was terrified because I was reading things that said "make sure your newborn nurses for at least 15 minutes on each breast during a feeding." We were lucky if DD nursed for 10 minutes on one breast! A friend's baby would nurse for 45 minutes at a time! I'm not an expert but I think all babies have different eating habits and as long as they are gaining they are probably doing fine. Is Alice not gaining at all? What percentile is she in? For the first few weeks we nursed every 1/2 hour all night. And then for the next 6 months she slept waayyyy better. Not a great sleeper now but that's another story! Try the skin to skin thing, it stimulates babies to nurse more. I also don't want to question what your doc said but I agree with amanda that she is very young to be put on a nursing schedule as I would imagine she hasn't gotten into her groove yet. I'm sure she's doing fine and will get her days and nights turned around any day now! I second the suggestion to contact your local LLL leader. no matter what you decide, I'm sure you'll make the best decision for your little one :) Good luck!

#236 ·
I'm back!! No more teaching until November! Of course, I have all of 10 days to write a preface for the second edition of my book and I have tons to grade. But, that's no problem, right?

I've been trying to keep up with everyone...

Library, how did last night go? I just remember there was so much trial and error those first few months in terms of breast feeding. And if it's any consolation so many of my friends who had struggles (large or small) with breast feeding constantly felt guilty - am I providing enough milk? am I doing this right? am I hurting the baby? It's all so fraught. So be gentle yourself.

Starling, I'm so sorry you are still sick!! I remember that feeling when the first trimester passed and it's like, wait, why am I still throwing up?! And all your "good" foods get ruined. Ugh. You are a rock star. There's no way I could do your job and continue to throw up. Serious rock star.

Babyfatty, I'm so so so sorry about your loss. Sending you lots of light and positive energy.

2ez, I had a big old hematoma first trimester. Let me know if you want to talk about it, okay?

AFM, well, guess who has gestational diabetes? Me, the person who considers kale its own sacred food group. Seriously? Yeesh. So it's all fun and games over here in my world.

#237 ·
Library, sorry, my post last night didn't make much sense. Miss Ari (who was up with a bad dream last night, I totally felt for you when I was rocking and singing to her last night) was a bad sleeper and a bad nurser. If I could have nursed to keep her happy in the beginning, I sure would have. But keeping her vertical in the sling was a big help and swaddling helped too.

Escher, yeah, I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference what you eat in the beginning. My tiny fetus is the size of a fig. She will get plenty of nutrients no matter what. If a certain food is giving you trouble and you're worried it's your only source of some nutrient, you can look on nutritiondata.com for other foods that will fill the gap. But generally I think we wouldn't have survived as a species if morning sickness caused major problems. Today I'm making kale chips and broccoli bisque (and crossing my fingers that one of them goes down, but my stomach has been way better, so long as I respect my boundaries) because dark green leafys have been notable absent from my diet. Since I'm nibbling raw kale, I'm thinking it will be ok. Tho, amusingly, I got bothered by olive oil when I was pregnant with Osha and I still can't eat anything with olive oil. OOOOO, have you tried veggie booty? I don't think there's much nutrition in it, but it's tasty and green! Are you 13 weeks today? huh huh? Are ya are ya?

AmandaHope, how are you?

Imogen, how are you?

Starling, congrats on the co-op. Randomly, our mortgage is way lower than rent would be. Congrats on the sneaky heartbeat detection.

Baby Fatty, I'm so sorry for your loss.

MizYellow, may 29, right?

Christie, how goes bedrest? Playing lots of sudoku?

AFM, my belly is popping out. I think it officially looks more like baby than fat. I am now certain that I'm feeling occasional movement. All on the left side, which was where I carried Ari (she messed up my lower midline tat, but only on the left side). And I can palpate my fundus now, which is awesome. I was thinking I would need to pee on a stick again soon because I'm not feeling all that pregnant. Taking 4 kids swimming today, I think it should be fun.

#238 ·
Hello ladies~ Thanks for all your input and support oxoxoxox Last night went remarkably well~ like, the best night we've had so far. AHOPE, I had been letting Alice sleep at the breast while I dozed sitting up propped against the headboard, and she would wake, eat for a minute or two, then fall back to sleep for hours on hours at a time as long as I held her, as soon as I put her down she'd scream and cry until I picked her up, then she'd eat for five minutes max then doze again. I told the doc last week and she said that if I could stand to do it, just let her set her own schedule and feed on demand, but then this week when we went back, she hadn't gained as much as she should have and the doc said it's probably due to the lazy eating habits and not filling herself up. She is gaining (she's back up to 8 lbs, but she's not back to her 8lb 5 oz birthweight) and the doc says she's not sickly or anything, but that it concerns her a bit. So yesterday/last night we tried feeding her every three hours, nursing for 20 minutes, then DP feeds her another oz of pumped milk while I pump post-feeding. There was no forcing her to sleep~ indeed, she's slept/is sleeping more than ever (a bit worrying in its own right~ oh so many things to worry about....) I did have to keep her awake while feeding a few of the times (taking off her clothes, blowing on her, etc) but she ate and ate from DP's bottle and then sacked out and slept like a log which let me sleep whilst lying down even, such luxury! I'm wondering if she was just not getting enough to eat in the first place. I've noticed now that I'm doing this regular pump that I'm not producing as much as I thought (and am on my way to the health food store to get some fenugreek...) But really it boils down to I JUST DON"T KNOW!!!! I feel bad about putting her on a schedule and not just letting her do her own thing, but she wasn't really eating (which is likely why my milk's lower than I'd like) and now she's eating more but sleeping constantly. Is this good? Is this bad? Surely she wouldn't sleep so solidly if she wasn't tired? I'm determined to figure this out and not give up, but it is still a source of stress and guilt and worry for me. Thanks for all your stories and experiences. I'm glad to know that other people had kiddos they had to actively wake up to feed. I just hope I'm doing what's right by her and am not just being lazy myself.

Seraf~ Yay for your fundus! It's so nice to have something to show for your effort and sacrifice. You'll have movement soon and that's even better.

Cejae~ HOORAY for being done! Even if you have lots of work to do to keep you occupied, at least you won't have to actively teach. November's nicely far away! Sorry about the diabetes, ugh.

Thanks to everyone else for their input~ anything else you have to say or contribute will be greatly welcomed oxooxo

#239 ·
Hi Everyone,

Library: I'm glad that last night went well! I hope things continue to improve. There is always so much to worry about.

Seraf: Dark leafy greens are one of the things that isn't working well for me these days too, although I have been able to eat salad for about two weeks now, so that is definitely an improvement. I normally love kale chips, but I cannot stand oil these days. I hope yours are great! I haven't tried veggie booty, but it looks good! And yes--13 weeks today! I'm envious that you're feeling movement. Can you tell your fetus to tell my fetus to kick a bit harder?

Cejae: Congratulations on completing your semester! Good luck with the preface and grading. I'm sorry you're having to deal with gestational diabetes.

Starling: I'm so sorry you're still so sick. Tell those hormones it is time to give you a break! I wish I had a doppler at work I could use. Congratulations on your co-op! Smoothies do often work for me. I should try Extreme Green.

Imogenlily: I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed that your baby stays in for a while longer and that when the babe is ready to be born you have an easy and delightful birth.

2ez: Hooray for seeing the heartbeat! I'm sorry that you're having to deal with a SCH. I hope that Monday's ultrasound is reassuring!

AFM: I'm feeling like I would really like some reassurance that everything is going fine with the babe. I have another midwife appointment on April 30, so I guess I'll just have to wait until then. It's hard for me to trust that things are going as they should.

#240 ·
Cejae - Welcome back

Escher - Those long waits between appointment in the days before movement are killer. Hopefully soon you'll feel some movement, and the waiting between appointments won't seem so bad.

EZ - how are you doing?

Starling: Congratulations on getting into your co-op! It's something we're looking into, too. I went to Bon's while pregnant because I WAS craving their eggs (hopefully the following description doesn't aggravate your stomach situation) on top of rye toast with that godawful Kraft "strawberry" jam they have.

LibraryLady: I wish I had words of wisdom to offer, but all I've got is that you can do it! I've heard these first few weeks can be really trying, and then something just 'clicks' and it's suddenly better. I'm glad you've got some support around it.

AFM: We got our maternity pictures back! I'm happy with how they turned out. A local doula is trying to build a maternity and birth photography portfolio, so she did them for us for free, which was nice. Should still be able to have a homebirth if I can make it to 37 weeks - not long now.

maternity3.jpg

#241 ·
Imogen, adorable!

Escher, kick kick! I think I'm only feeling movement early because I am on my 3rd. Tho I was early with the first 2, as well. And kid, everything is going to be fine. I don't have faith in anything at all, but I know that everything is going to be fine. Babies were made to be made.

Cejae, no fun on the GD!

Library, I don't think your routine sounds lazy. Far from it! She is probably passing out after the bottle because it delivers milk so much faster. I do want to point out that a pump isn't the most efficient way to get milk. I had major oversupply issues and never pumped more than an ounce per side. I'm pretty sure the only way to know how much milk she's getting per feed is to weigh her before and after. Total pain in the rump, but you may find that she's eating a lot more than the pump is telling you.

AFM, we went swimming and colored eggs and it's just been jam packed fun. The friends who are staying with us don't celebrate Easter, so the kids made baskets and wrote notes asking the Easter bun to visit us early while they're here. Then the kids Sara keeps are getting dropped off at our house in the morning, rather than her going to them and we're going to have a big ol party full of chocolate and eggs.

Oh, but I totally had, like, braxton hicks today. I got the around 2 months with both the other kids, so I'm not stressing (actually surprised I'm not making milk yet), but I was swimming and then suddenly my uterus turned into a rock! It was fun and disturbing every time it happened.

#242 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post

Hello ladies~ Thanks for all your input and support oxoxoxox Last night went remarkably well~ like, the best night we've had so far. AHOPE, I had been letting Alice sleep at the breast while I dozed sitting up propped against the headboard, and she would wake, eat for a minute or two, then fall back to sleep for hours on hours at a time as long as I held her, as soon as I put her down she'd scream and cry until I picked her up, then she'd eat for five minutes max then doze again. I told the doc last week and she said that if I could stand to do it, just let her set her own schedule and feed on demand, but then this week when we went back, she hadn't gained as much as she should have and the doc said it's probably due to the lazy eating habits and not filling herself up. She is gaining (she's back up to 8 lbs, but she's not back to her 8lb 5 oz birthweight) and the doc says she's not sickly or anything, but that it concerns her a bit. So yesterday/last night we tried feeding her every three hours, nursing for 20 minutes, then DP feeds her another oz of pumped milk while I pump post-feeding. There was no forcing her to sleep~ indeed, she's slept/is sleeping more than ever (a bit worrying in its own right~ oh so many things to worry about....) I did have to keep her awake while feeding a few of the times (taking off her clothes, blowing on her, etc) but she ate and ate from DP's bottle and then sacked out and slept like a log which let me sleep whilst lying down even, such luxury! I'm wondering if she was just not getting enough to eat in the first place. I've noticed now that I'm doing this regular pump that I'm not producing as much as I thought (and am on my way to the health food store to get some fenugreek...) But really it boils down to I JUST DON"T KNOW!!!! I feel bad about putting her on a schedule and not just letting her do her own thing, but she wasn't really eating (which is likely why my milk's lower than I'd like) and now she's eating more but sleeping constantly. Is this good? Is this bad? Surely she wouldn't sleep so solidly if she wasn't tired? I'm determined to figure this out and not give up, but it is still a source of stress and guilt and worry for me. Thanks for all your stories and experiences. I'm glad to know that other people had kiddos they had to actively wake up to feed. I just hope I'm doing what's right by her and am not just being lazy myself.

Seraf~ Yay for your fundus! It's so nice to have something to show for your effort and sacrifice. You'll have movement soon and that's even better.

Cejae~ HOORAY for being done! Even if you have lots of work to do to keep you occupied, at least you won't have to actively teach. November's nicely far away! Sorry about the diabetes, ugh.

Thanks to everyone else for their input~ anything else you have to say or contribute will be greatly welcomed oxooxo
Good to hear you all slept better last night!

Another option to bottle feeding to "top her up" is to fingerfeed - your DP could do this as well. That way any "nipple confusion" won't happen. If you have to use a bottle, try and make sure it's a slow flow nipple so she doesn't get used to the fast flow of most bottles.

As I said, I'm not an expert but am passionate about breastfeeding so feel free to pm me if you like :) Ok, I'll go back to lurking on this thread :D

Btw, Alice is such a cute name and seems to suit a little chubby cheeked red haired baby so well :)

#243 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post

I feel bad about putting her on a schedule and not just letting her do her own thing, but she wasn't really eating (which is likely why my milk's lower than I'd like) and now she's eating more but sleeping constantly. Is this good? Is this bad? Surely she wouldn't sleep so solidly if she wasn't tired? I'm determined to figure this out and not give up, but it is still a source of stress and guilt and worry for me. Thanks for all your stories and experiences. I'm glad to know that other people had kiddos they had to actively wake up to feed. I just hope I'm doing what's right by her and am not just being lazy myself.
Quick 2 cents: YES it is good if she is eating more and sleeping more. And I'm sure that her eating more at each feeding will help boost your milk supply, especially if you are pumping, too. You want to get her eating solidly for long enough to get the rich hind milk that comes after a few minutes of feeding. This will get her more fat and also stimulate your supply. I do agree about the slow-flow nipple, though. You don't want her refusing the breast because she gets more milk more quickly from the bottle. Also, I agree that the pump isn't a great measure of supply. While DD was gaining a pound a week (!), I was only getting a few ounces per session of pumping. I just never had a good let-down on the pump. I'm REALLY hoping the pump works better this time, since I actually have job now!

Cejae: Great to "see" you, but SO SORRY about the GD. That is a serious bummer. At least you're not a sugar junkie to start, so you won't have to wean yourself off, right?

Imogen: What a truly beautiful pic; I'm envious of the free session!

AFM: I'm okay, just so busy that I want to cry at the end of most days. I never ate my lunch today--seriously didn't have 15 minutes to heat it up and wolf it down. I ate enough snacks that I wasn't too hungry, but I felt guilty about it, anyway. Thankfully, the next few days should allow me to catch up a bit on rest and exercise. And the semester is over in three weeks (I can do it, I can do it!).

#244 ·
Good morning Ladies. I miss coffee at 7Am. A lot. Too bad I have an addiction to diet coke that can't be quit (I know- sooo not mothering of me:) so I had to give up SOMETHING. Haha, is it bad that i am fiending for coffee in the morning and wine in the evening. I find myself thinking from time to time...." women drink wine all the time while they are preggo and their babies are just fine..... " sigh- 3 more months~

Library- What Seraf said, she always takes my good bfing advice! Really my best advice is to remember that in about a month bfing will be sooo easy and second nature and all of these 1st weeks issues and questions will be memories and you will be giving new mama's advice yourself!

Seraf- I had em early this time too, but not at 10 weeks I don't think. That is impressive! When are you guys going zooing? Now I am confused, is it April 29th? May 29th?

Imogen- Looks like you will so make it to 37 weeks! What is your term mark again. Cute pic!

We actually just got some family pics taken. I just got em back, and although I can't figure out to scan them in to my computer (have a mentioned I am computer illiterate, I HAVE figured out how to post things to this forum! So here you go! My amazing fam!

fam.jpgfamily.jpg

#245 ·
MizYellow: I *love* the pics! You all look happy and peaceful but also lively and so into one another. Thanks for sharing! As I've mentioned, I drink one small cup of coffee a day and cherish every drop. But I'm not a soda drinker. We do what we gotta do, you know? I just hope that this little one doesn't mind a bit of caffeine in breastmilk. My sister in law, who drank coffee for her second and third trimesters, is completely off it now (even decaf!), because my niece gets uncomfortable and fussy. Yikes! I can't imagine being sleep deprived with an infant, needing to work (part-time, anyway), and not being able to have any coffee!

#246 ·
Library, how did last night go? Better? Just a note on the "nipple confusion" thing. I've known lots of babes who go back and forth between the two, w/no problem so long as they are low flow bottles. So don't get too wrapped up on that. Shoot, my BBF's twins couldn't breasfeed for the first 2 months. She just kept pumping and by month three they were on the boobs and stayed there for the next year!

Escher, it must be so hard not to see the baby all the time - hang in there !

Imogen, I love the picture! Hang in there - not long to go now.

Seraf, Wow, Braxton hicks already?! I still haven't had any of those yet. DP had them throughout all of third trimester. Sounds like a fun easter celebration. (um, btw, easter sucks w/GD, even if I'm not a sugar addict)

AHope, I'm so so sorry you are so busy! Not having lunch is no good for you! I know how busy the academic schedule can be, but I really hope you find some "you" time during the day at some point. You can do three weeks. You can do it!

Mizyellow, love the pics! And from everything I've read, esp after the first trimester, 1 cup (a real cup, not the starbucks kind) of coffee is no big deal at all. I just wish I wanted coffee. My stomach still can't handle it.

AFM, I just wasted 3 hours of my life in a GD class where I learned what a carbohydrate was. Lovely. Thank god for my iPad. I worked the whole time, otherwise I might have actually lost my mind.

Question for those of you with older kids - any of them having reactions to you being pregnant? DS is definitely way more clinging, acting out for really the frist time ever, and is obsessed with my boobs (from which he did not breastfeed - DP carried and breastfed).

#247 ·
Hi everyone,

I know I don't post much, but I do keep up with you all and wanted to let everyone know that my little one has arrived. Elliot Graham was born last Friday April 15th, 7lbs 1 oz, 20 inches.

It was a long labor journey to his birth. My water broke on Wednesday at 11am, early labor contractions started at 2pm, after 24 hours of mild contractions I was only dilated to 4cm. They let me get in the tub where I desperately wanted to continue laboring onto the birth. But, I was not progressing and finally we had to make the decision to start pitocin and I ended up getting an epidural. I was also on antibiotics since my water had broken so long ago. The baby's heart rate started to show signs of deceleration after my contractions so they placed an internal fetal monitor and were able to establish that he was in fact stable. Friday morning at 5am I made it to just under 10cm and was able to start pushing! I pushed for 3.5 hours. I was told by my two midwives attending the birth that time was running out and that if I couldn't deliver the little one in the next few pushes we'd have to talk c-section. Somehow, some way I found it within me to deliver my son in the next two!

Elliot did aspirate some meconium during the long labor and was suctioned. He also ended up getting a chest xray and was taken to the nursery for observation since it looked like one side of his chest was rising less than the other. All checked out though and I finally got to hold my son.

I can't believe he's already a week old, we are so in love with him!!! We are still working on BFing, but seem to be getting into it just fine with lots of patience and persistence.

ElliotGraham.jpg

ElliotGraham1.jpgin

#248 ·
MizYellow: Thanks for sharing the family pics. You all have beautiful smiles and look like a happy group together. When not preg, I'm a daily wine and beer drinker. I thought I'd never get through a pregnancy without wanting my daily dose, but I don't think about it much. I have a French friend who drank a glass of wine daily with both of her beautiful kids. They're fine. Food in the belly and just a few ounces is key. So, I have it every now and then with dinner when I want it. Or, I just take a sip or two off DW's glass and that does it for me. All of the research I've looked at show the negative effects associated with high and regular intake. But, a good public health message is zero tolerance rather than "If you drink responsibly, it's ok."

AmandaHope: Tired to the point of tears…. So sorry to hear it. I'm really hoping that my work life doesn't come to that during this pregnancy, but we'll see. It gives me hope to see so many of you working so hard and still having happy, healthy pregnancies. Hoping you get your rest in the next couple of days!

Library: Being a newbie mama, I have zip in terms of BF knowledge to offer. I'd just say that it sounds like you are doing beautifully and I'm sorry to hear that it comes with worry and guilt for you. Also, I am super grateful for your posts because they (and the knowledgeable responses from everyone else) are giving me lots of good information. I'll be BF after a breast reduction and am starting to add the possible difficulties with that to my worry list (although there is a great book out there if anyone needs the title for this particular situation).

Seref: You're weekend sounds like a blast! Enjoy. So beautiful that you're feeling something now. That little one wants send out a "hello!" I think I felt the first movement in the middle of the night. Felt like a left-side back flip. I've also had a lot of hard uterus/belly. Although this faded in the last two weeks.

Cejae: Sorry to hear about the GD. Sounds frustrating given your regular diet.

Starling: HI-larious story! I agree with Library, love a scandal but it's probably better that you got in and out with no problem. Congrats on the co-op. We would probably sell our house too to save money in these early years. Don't know how we jumped on the house then baby bandwagon so easily. It's a good home, I shouldn't disparage, but feeling the burden of it when it would be good to focus on the baby.

Escher: You might already be doing this… but I've been adding kale to smoothies and can't even taste it (although I wouldn't mind b/c I like the taste), but it gets me more greens.

Imogen: Super lovely pic! Hope all is well.

2EZ: How's it going? Hope well!

AFM: Oooooof. This week I'm going through it a bit. Today's word is 'doubt'. I've spent a lot of time talking to my girl, telling her I know she's in there. But, I'm doing this because I'm having silly doubts. I've had a really bad cold and this intense cough, which I know won't make me shoot her out or anything. But, it feels disruptive. Also, I've been tripping because my belly is back in the deflated, flat place after a week of big and hard. Silly, I know. Also, DW and I are going through it! We're feeling some distance (which is hard because we are typically physically and emotionally quite close). That's a longer story. We popped ourselves back in couples therapy, so that's good. No word yet from DW's parents. We're camping in Big Sur this weekend, which should give us a good charge. Happy weekends to all!

#249 ·
Hey all~ I'm at my grandmother's house and have only a moment to post today (though I'll do more tomorrow). THANKS AGAIN for all your good advice and wonderful support. Last night went well again, and today I have so much milk it's soakng through my bra pads. I know pumping doesn't get the optimum flow of milk, but we're getting something out there and DP's able to top her up (from a slow-flow nipple, for sure!) She's still sleeping a lot, but I guess she's tired, eh?

I'll write again tomorrow and do personals and give another report. It's nice to have a day where I don't feel like I"m starving my baby.

Butterfly~ Your baby is BEAUTIFUL!!! Alice had some of the same issues at birth, I'm glad he's doing well and hope you're all happy xox

#250 ·
Yellow, um, it's next week! I think that would be april. Sorry, I'm a total flake right now. I can't get 3 sentences out without saying something wrong. Laughing about the diet coke. I never have been a pop drinker, but now we're keeping root beer in the house a lot of the time because fizz is lovely.

Cejae, my oldest is super excited but not much different. My 5 year old has been way more clingy. I'm told she's not like that with anyone but me. Joy. My challenge is that I'm trying my hardest to be patient with her and so when it gets under Sara's skin I get frustrated with Sara instead of Ari, since I was just dealing with Ari, I have a hard time with the compounding of the situation.

Butterfly, He is adorable. That sounds like one heck of a labor.

Julia, have fun camping, glad to hear I'm not the only one with the hard uterus.

Library, I think it's insane how much newborns sleep. 16 - 20 hours a day, right? I didn't much pump after. I had a friend who did, but I didn't want to encourage more supply, since I have oversupply issues. I did pump on the side my kid wasn't nursing on, since I was leaking anyway. This time I'm going to get a set of milk savers. Flat cups that fit in your bra to catch all that extra, and it doesn't get wasted into my breast pads and shirt.

AFM, haven't felt much movement lately. Mostly just when I'm very still. Here's a pic of the newest member of the house.

#251 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.