Chatty Queers Unite! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 342 Old 04-26-2011, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

smilingsara -- it is indeed euros...it works out to about $8.80/gallon (although, we're in paris proper, and i think the prices here are quite high.)  i guess i know now why everyone here drives little cars!  that and the fact that you'd tear the sides off a big SUV driving down some of the teeny tiny streets. 

alphahen -- hiya!  i went to college in virginia and a lot of my family is there.  my little sis lives in the richmond area and a dear friend of mine is in lovely carytown,  and yeah, there's no way you could live there without a car.  even NoVA is impossible without some wheels of your own.  i go a bit crazy every time i go home to visit my parents because i'm so used to being able to walk or take public transport to the stores (and everywhere else, really).  at their place you'd get killed if you tried walking to the grocery store. 

monarchgrrl -- having a smaller car definitely makes it easier on the pocketbook!  $30/week is very reasonable.

ez -- i don't usually miss driving (i think i'd be too afraid to drive in paris...people are frakking crazy) but when you mentioned your jeep, it made me miss my old red wrangler...*sigh*.  volvos are great for safety.  sounds like a good vehicle for carting around your precious future cargo :)

Ex-pat gal (40y.o.) in France and her Froggy wife (42y.o.).  Expecting a little (brussel) "sprout"  in Dec 2012 after a year of at-home inseminations and three medicated IUIs in Belgium.  

#62 of 342 Old 04-26-2011, 03:28 PM

I love this thread!

Things have been busy with mine and DW's vacation and Easter with the family but I'm going to try and catch up now.

Really funny queer story from our trip: We went to Gatlinburg, TN for a week. On our first day there we walked around town and decided to go up the space needle. We bought our tickets and while waiting for the elevator the girl behind the counter (she was about 16 or 17) tried striking up a conversation with us. She noticed our matching shoes and said she wanted a pair and then asked us if we were sisters. I told her we were partners (for some reason both DW and I find it difficult to say wife to strangers), there was a pause and then she asked us what we did for work. DW said she worked for Verizon and I said I worked in child care, another pause and kind of a strange look from the girl and then the elevator was there and we got on. Fast forward about 30min and we had just got off the elevator and were walking through the attached arcade and it hit me and I just started laughing. The poor girl thought we were business partners! DW and I laughed about this for the longest time, made the strange look she gave us make sense.

My dating story is nowhere as crazy or funny as any that you guys have posted but here goes: My sister's friend and her boyfriend decided to set me up with a guy they were friends with. So I find my self on a blind date with my sister and her boyfriend and her friend and her boyfriend and this guy who was supposed to be a perfect match. The guy barely spoke during the meal but when he did I learned that he enjoyed chewing tobacco, hunting, fishing, was a racist, and hated cats. Toward the end of the meal he went to the restroom and when he came back he announced that he accidentally used the mouthwash as soap. Later on when he was asked what he thought of the date he commented that the steak was good. Needless to say I never allowed myself to be set up again. J

No children yet so my funny poop story comes from when I was a nanny. I was giving the youngest, who was 2, a bath and he pooped in the tub. I had to get him out, drain the water, clean out the poop, clean the tub, and then but the baby back in and rewash him. His sisters thought it was hilarious and even called their parents to tell them what was going on. Looking back it was funny but I didn’t think so in the moment.

Ahh, gas prices… we are paying about $3.66 here in coastal NC. When we were in TN it was about $0.10 cheaper. I stay at home and luckily DW works about 2mi from home but we drive a SUV so it guzzles gas. I’ve decided to try my hand at being a crazy coupon lady in an attempt to help offset the cost of gas. However, the whole coupon thing confuses me cause I never seem to get my grocery bill down from $130 to $4. L

I think I got all the questions.  

partners.gif Amanda (27) and Julie (28) Married since April 19, 2010 and TTC since August 2011.
BFP November 7, 2011!

#63 of 342 Old 04-26-2011, 04:13 PM

Petrol is waaaaaayyy more expensive everywhere compared to the US....

So here, in Melbourne, Australia - a big city - we are currently paying about $6.50 for petrol. We do drive but not all the time. I will always walk or catch PT locally. DP works an hour away though and drives everyday. We hate it.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#64 of 342 Old 04-26-2011, 07:26 PM

My funny poop story is when I was first a nanny at the young age of 18.. i was caring for a 2 week old baby and was changing his diaper.. when all of a sudden poo was flying everywhere.. I did not have another diaper under him. his mom luckily was there and she put her hand under him to catch all the poo.. It was gross!! And I am lucky enough to have another poop story .. My 2nd nanny job ( i was all of 20) I was caring for a one yr old boy .. it was my 3rd or so day.. and im walking down to his room, and all I smell was poop.. gross .... walked in and he had taken off his diaper and smeared poop everywhere.. in his hair.. all over the crib, walls, every where.. I was sooooo horrified and grossed out.. 

And my recent story ( and they are all BOYS) was the little guy I nanny for currently was Potty trained.. but holding poo for days.. so one day at nap .. he got out of the bed.. took off his diaper , went to the bathroom, pooped ON the floor.. not the potty... and painted walls.. .. He is 3 and knew better.... 

Gas here is 4.25 a gallon.. I have to drive for work.. and we are in the car often.. but mostly local stuff so I spend about 40.00 a week in my little toyota yaris..

Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

#65 of 342 Old 04-28-2011, 03:41 AM

CaNanny, what color Yaris do you have?  Mine's blue (tho my favorite thing about living in SF was that I didn't need a car).  I have an 86 mile round trip to work, but I only work 3 days a week.  I also spend 40-50 a week on gas.

QOTD: How do you feel about children of one sex dressing in ways that make it difficult for strangers to identify their sex accurately?  IE boys in pink, or with flare leg jeans or dresses/girls in blue or reptile themed clothes?  Hair?

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#66 of 342 Old 04-28-2011, 12:28 PM

QOTD: I fully intend to let DD wear any kinds of clothes she wants when she can pick her own, but since she's still a baby, I do dress her more girly in public, though I try to stay away from total pink overload. She has lots of boy clothes that she wears and we like them (monkeys, skulls, Sharks hockey), but I swear, no matter how girly the clothes, if she doesn't have a BOW in her hair, people on the street think she's a boy. It doesn't bother me because I think it's hard to tell on most babies, but it bothers DW for some reason, so she's usually in a bow out in public. I know...not very progressive of me. But I will say, I don't like it when little boys are dressed girly or have long hair and then the parents get offended if you say "she". Long hair on boys is common here. I like it fine, but don't get all mad if I assume "girl" at first glance. I can't help my social conditioning sometimes. lol.gif

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#67 of 342 Old 04-28-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraf View Post

QOTD: How do you feel about children of one sex dressing in ways that make it difficult for strangers to identify their sex accurately?  IE boys in pink, or with flare leg jeans or dresses/girls in blue or reptile themed clothes?  Hair?

I would like to think I will be open to DD wearing whatever she wants when she's old enough to pick out what she wants to wear. She is already showing preferences for certain things so I'm sure this will come up fairly soon for us! I've been surprised how much both DP and I like putting "girly" clothes on DD. However, we also dress her in blue jeans and "boyish" shirts on a regular basis too. One thing I find confusing is that DD can be dressed totally in pink and people still refer to her as "he" or say "hi, little guy." I think people default to he or boy for most babies. Which is annoying in itself.

I've thought about if I'd feel different if I had a boy. It seems much more "acceptable" for girls to wear boys clothes than vice versa. If my son wanted to wear a dress I'm not sure what I'd do. I know I would be ok with it but I'm sure how I would feel about him facing criticism from others. I guess I'll have to wait and see if we have a son one day!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#68 of 342 Old 04-28-2011, 02:05 PM

i have a white one.. i like it i can fit 3 car seats in there!!! I have racked up the miles though and will need to get a new car one of these days.. though its been a trooper for sure!!!

QOTD

I nanny for a boy who is 3 and he LOVES dresses and all things girly.. he wears his sisters leggings and loves glitter and razz.. He wears what he wants most days.. He had a rainbow unicorn b day party last weekend! He loves to wear princess dresses and he is confident! I do dress him in jeans and t shirts most of the time.. he is pretty chill about it..

I figure they are kids. let them have the confidence to wear what they want.. hoping it will create a stronger boy who is in touch with himself!!!!!

Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

#69 of 342 Old 04-28-2011, 02:49 PM

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've frequented MDC, and I was glad to pop on here and see this "chatty" thread and catch up with some old names. Nice to "see" you all!

My four wild and sweet kiddos continue to grow like crazy (it's what they do best, I suppose); the twins (Luke and Jaz) are now 8, Zeb is 4.5, and Leo will be 2 at the end of June. My wife and I separated at the end of last summer, and are getting divorced. So I've been single-momming it for about 8 months now, which has been, at times, incredibly challenging, mostly due to the heartbreak of the situation. I had to learn how to do things like get all four kids to bed by myself, etc., but the logistical difficulties are really nothing in comparison to the emotional work of it all. I have the kids most of the time, and am still mostly a stay-at-home-mom, though I'm trying to start a practice as an IBCLC (lactation consultant) in my "free time." I never thought my family would look like this, I never thought my kids would have two homes to go with their two moms, I never thought I could survive all that we've been through in the past year+ and be remotely ok. But I'm generally managing to continue to find joy and to have hope and to love life, in the midst of grieving and figuring out how to make this all work. I wish I could share more about all of everything, but am trying to be respectful of everyone and keep the personal details off of the internet.

QOTD: I feel fine about my kids wearing whatever they want to wear (in regards to genderized clothing, not overall), and have mostly complied with letting them grow their hair long (I don't like hair in their faces, so I take issue with the growing-it-out process). I guess, if anything, I avoid dressing my boys in stereotypical "boy" clothing (I really prefer gender neutral, plain clothes), and probably would deem some of what they've worn over the years to be "too girly" for a theoretical girl child of mine. 8What's been fascinating (though not in an especially lovely way) as my biggest kids have gotten older, is watching them filter what they choose to wear based on the influence of their peers at school. Lukas was always very much enamored with pink when he was younger (in fact, he insisted upon wearing at least one pink item every day for a couple of years, and preferred to be head-to-toe in pink), and it's still one of his stated favorite colors. But he won't wear pink to school now, for fear of being laughed at. Jasper, on the other hand, was never especially "into" the "girly" stuff as a preschooler, but will happily wear pink/purple to school now in kind of a trend-setting sort of way (always wanting to stand out and push the envelope, that one). But Jaz is very much a "popular kid" who can get away with just about anything, whereas Luke is more wanting to blend in, doesn't want attention of any kind (positive or negative, he also refuses to wear anything he thinks a "cool boy" would wear) for what he's wearing.

I dress my babies in strictly gender-neutral clothing, and everyone has always assumed they were girls or asked specifically about their sexes. I've always taken it as a good sign that I wasn't dressing them in any obviously gendered way. It's never offended me in the least, and I don't bother to correct anyone unless it feels relevant (i.e. in response to: "Wow! Three boys and then you got your girl!" I might say, cheerfully: "They're all boys, actually.")

Glad to be back here.

:love

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#70 of 342 Old 04-28-2011, 03:06 PM

QOTD:  DS was born with a head full of hair, so he was she'd nonstop.  DD was bald so even in pink dresses she was he'd constantly.  All that said both my babies were dressed in soft pants, tights, and t-shirts.  All kinds of flowery pants.  My favorite pants were pink with red strawberries.  Now at 8, DS has hair midway down his back, and really no one corrects people when they she him. If someone hangs out with him long term they usually ask why we refer to "her" as "he."  When DD asks to cut her hair really short I warn her that she may be mistaken for a boy.  She says she thinks it's funny.  She wears a lot of hand me downs in both glitter and camo.  DS has certainly worn his share of dresses in public.  We do go places sometimes where men wear skirts, tho.  I don't think my kids really associate clothes with gender, they mostly go off hair styles, so even if DS knows the neighbor boys are boys, well, when they grow their hair out he refers to them as she.

CaNanny, what kind of car seats?  Forward or rear facing?  I need to get car seats, but the boosters are so wide I see problems with buckling.  

#71 of 342 Old 04-28-2011, 06:34 PM

the only car seat configurations that work are: 3 sunshine Radian 85 They are not cheap.. but very safe and worth it.. you can fit 3 across both forward or rear.. you can put a baby as little as 5 lbs.. I have my 50 lb 5 yr old I nanny for in it ( still harnessed) and the 35 lb 5 yr old in it and the 25 lb 3 yr old in it.. I love these seats!!!!

I have also fit 2 of the sunshine kids with a infant car seat ( i usually do not use a base, because its easier) I can also fit 2 radians with a graco booster.. it takes some manuevering.. but it can work.. I prefer having all 3 radians in the car.. I even bought my own. so when DP and I have our baby we have great seats!!

Quote:

QOTD:  DS was born with a head full of hair, so he was she'd nonstop.  DD was bald so even in pink dresses she was he'd constantly.  All that said both my babies were dressed in soft pants, tights, and t-shirts.  All kinds of flowery pants.  My favorite pants were pink with red strawberries.  Now at 8, DS has hair midway down his back, and really no one corrects people when they she him. If someone hangs out with him long term they usually ask why we refer to "her" as "he."  When DD asks to cut her hair really short I warn her that she may be mistaken for a boy.  She says she thinks it's funny.  She wears a lot of hand me downs in both glitter and camo.  DS has certainly worn his share of dresses in public.  We do go places sometimes where men wear skirts, tho.  I don't think my kids really associate clothes with gender, they mostly go off hair styles, so even if DS knows the neighbor boys are boys, well, when they grow their hair out he refers to them as she.

CaNanny, what kind of car seats?  Forward or rear facing?  I need to get car seats, but the boosters are so wide I see problems with buckling.  

#72 of 342 Old 04-28-2011, 06:37 PM

I am pretty new here.. But wanted to just send you hugs.. and it seems like you are making the most out of a sad situation and you have 4 amazing kids to love!!!!!

Quotee
Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've frequented MDC, and I was glad to pop on here and see this "chatty" thread and catch up with some old names. Nice to "see" you all!

My four wild and sweet kiddos continue to grow like crazy (it's what they do best, I suppose); the twins (Luke and Jaz) are now 8, Zeb is 4.5, and Leo will be 2 at the end of June. My wife and I separated at the end of last summer, and are getting divorced. So I've been single-momming it for about 8 months now, which has been, at times, incredibly challenging, mostly due to the heartbreak of the situation. I had to learn how to do things like get all four kids to bed by myself, etc., but the logistical difficulties are really nothing in comparison to the emotional work of it all. I have the kids most of the time, and am still mostly a stay-at-home-mom, though I'm trying to start a practice as an IBCLC (lactation consultant) in my "free time." I never thought my family would look like this, I never thought my kids would have two homes to go with their two moms, I never thought I could survive all that we've been through in the past year+ and be remotely ok. But I'm generally managing to continue to find joy and to have hope and to love life, in the midst of grieving and figuring out how to make this all work. I wish I could share more about all of everything, but am trying to be respectful of everyone and keep the personal details off of the internet.

QOTD: I feel fine about my kids wearing whatever they want to wear (in regards to genderized clothing, not overall), and have mostly complied with letting them grow their hair long (I don't like hair in their faces, so I take issue with the growing-it-out process). I guess, if anything, I avoid dressing my boys in stereotypical "boy" clothing (I really prefer gender neutral, plain clothes), and probably would deem some of what they've worn over the years to be "too girly" for a theoretical girl child of mine. 8What's been fascinating (though not in an especially lovely way) as my biggest kids have gotten older, is watching them filter what they choose to wear based on the influence of their peers at school. Lukas was always very much enamored with pink when he was younger (in fact, he insisted upon wearing at least one pink item every day for a couple of years, and preferred to be head-to-toe in pink), and it's still one of his stated favorite colors. But he won't wear pink to school now, for fear of being laughed at. Jasper, on the other hand, was never especially "into" the "girly" stuff as a preschooler, but will happily wear pink/purple to school now in kind of a trend-setting sort of way (always wanting to stand out and push the envelope, that one). But Jaz is very much a "popular kid" who can get away with just about anything, whereas Luke is more wanting to blend in, doesn't want attention of any kind (positive or negative, he also refuses to wear anything he thinks a "cool boy" would wear) for what he's wearing.

I dress my babies in strictly gender-neutral clothing, and everyone has always assumed they were girls or asked specifically about their sexes. I've always taken it as a good sign that I wasn't dressing them in any obviously gendered way. It's never offended me in the least, and I don't bother to correct anyone unless it feels relevant (i.e. in response to: "Wow! Three boys and then you got your girl!" I might say, cheerfully: "They're all boys, actually.")

Glad to be back here.

Lex

#73 of 342 Old 04-28-2011, 09:49 PM

Nice to see you, lex! I was so sorry to hear about your family. I'm glad you are starting to adapt somewhat. I can't imagine how hard it must be. Welcome back and I hope to see you around here more often!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#74 of 342 Old 04-29-2011, 03:31 AM

Lex, I missed your post!  I'm glad to see you.  I'm very sorry about your situation but glad you're coming through it.  I found myself newly single the day my family moved into an off grid tent on a construction site, the day I started working full time night shift.  Before Ari (5) turned 2.  I started coming back to MDC when we gave it up and moved to town.  I remember coming back and seeing your name and being thankful that your family was still together.  Having made it all the way through I will say that as hard as it is, you can still do it.  If you need someone to talk to, let me know.  The hair growing out thing, yeah, Osh wore a lot of barrettes.  Still does.  I joked about making boy-rettes, with bats and trucks and trains on them (not so he would feel more masculine, but so strangers would yell at me less).  Osha has never cared about what is cool, tho.  I don't think he even really understands the concept.

CaNanny, thanks for the carseat rec.  I'll have to check it out.  I know Ari's old carseat worked with the boosters, but I gave it to a family in need and have to find a new one (or 2 or 4 or something).

2 car families, do you have carseats in both cars?  Or is it like, this is the car the kids go in, and this is the commuter?  We are going to be in a situation where we have this baby (and hopefully Sara gets pregnant soon, so 2 babies) full time and the big kids half the week, so we have been talking about what we're going to do with the car thing once the family is too big for 1 car (but again, it will only be part time).  I need decide if we're going to keep 2 small cars and just rent something larger for trips, or if we're going to trade one of the cars in for something we can all fit in.

#75 of 342 Old 04-29-2011, 04:35 AM

lex, it's good to hear from you although i wish it were under better circumstances.  i hope everything continues to get easier for you and the boys.  :)

we have clothes for our boys that some would consider "girly" and we have some diapers and wet bags that daycare has made comments about - seriously, they are just for catching pee and poop, who cares about the cloth pattern?  ds1 has the curliest hair you've ever seen - it has little tight curls and while i have curly hair too, it's not at all like his.  so we mostly keep it short because it tends to get crazy when long - like right now.  but he won't let us buzz it, so long it shall remain.  ds2 barely has any hair and it's very blonde and very fine.  we think that's hilarious given dp is 1/2 filipino and has black/brown thick hair.

gas here is moderately expensive.  we carpool to work/daycare and only live 11 miles from work, so our gas costs aren't too bad.  in scotland it was INSANELY expensive.  i filled the rental car up for a long trip we took and it was probably $80.  for a very small car.  yikes!

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#76 of 342 Old 04-29-2011, 06:35 AM

I'm so busy I don't have time to respond to all of the great questions on this thread, but wanted to pop in to send big hugs to Lex. I've been thinking about you, and while I understand the need for internet silence on certain matters, know that we're all here for you and want to support you in any way that we can. You are such an amazing mother, and I'm so sorry that you have had to deal with these unexpected transitions.

And, my kid seems to switch seamlessly between camo and pink frills. I feel like I've done something right...

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#77 of 342 Old 04-29-2011, 01:15 PM

Hello,

I appreciate this neutral space for posting--good idea.  I recognize so many names here from both semi-recent months on the ttc thread and also from my initial discovery of the ttc board in 2008 or so, when my DP and I first started throwing around the idea of having a child.  We've unsuccessfully tried for a babe 7 times over a two-year period, and now are homeopathically regulating my thyroid and raising my low vitamin D before attempting again.

QOTD: I spend so much time thinking about gendered clothing for children, partially because I am finishing a social justice education masters program that keeps me in touch with elementary-age students for much of my day, and also because I personally believe in clothing for kids (rather than boys or girls).  I really think it's rare for children to put on princess dresses during play in order to act out a strong role--of king, or skateboarder, boss, leader--or to put on intensely masculine clothing in order to look and feel pretty, to skip or frolic, to dance, to be a mama.  It's the secondary aspect of the clothing, the way I see it regulate and impact behavior, that doesn't sit well with me.  (I'd love to hear if this isn't the case for those of you whose children do transition from camo to skirts, etc. well.)  

Obviously, I am only prepping my clothing stash for my future child(ren), but I plan to keep clothing gender-neutral for as long as possible, and probably lean slightly more toward traditionally deemed "boyish" colors for a girl babe, and so on.  I have lots of stripe-y playsuits and sweaters--and a few pink pieces that I would readily use for a boy and hesitantly put on a girl.  It's at the point for me now that I'm starting to sew non-gender specific upcycled baby and kids clothing, and am making plans for an organic plant-dyed line to sell at a local kids store...an unexpected side-effect of being immersed in the gender binary elementary classroom.  

Lex:  My single mama friends have the most amazing relationships with their kids.  I hope things even out for you in good time.

Seraf:  Was your off-grid tent in Ohio?  How did you keep warm in winter?  I lived for a few years in a tiny yurt--but had a woodstove for heating in the rainy winter months.

Good to hear from you all.  Oh, Librarylady--Alice is divine...I love her little cleft chin.

#78 of 342 Old 04-29-2011, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Lex ... Great to see you, Mama!  You and your beautiful family have shaped my growing family in more ways than you could possibly imagine.  And I still have bike envy when it comes to you!  Wonderful to have you around the 'hood again.  I've been thinking about you and your kids a lot since you and your wife separated.  grouphug.gif

QOTD:  We didn't find out the gender indication for DD, so when we were acquiring baby items, we kept it strictly gender neutral.  Once she was born and the world got word about her vagina, the pink onslaught began.  At first, I really bucked it.  I really wanted her not to be squished into a stereotyped corner.  But, ultimately, our frugality won.  We are so appreciative when we're given clothes by the grandmas, one of whom is an ardent feminist and happily plays along with our wishes (she knitted DD a tiny pair of wool work socks to match the ones DP always wears),but the other two cannot seem to buy anything remotely un-girlified.  I would like to think that I'd let a boy child wear whatever he darn well wanted.  But again, we will be dressing our kids in the clothes the grandmas and aunties pick out for a long time, so that's really what dictates the look in our house.  I draw the line at branded characters and inappropriate sayings on shirts, etc though.  DD does wear a lot of boy clothes too (thanks to a hand-me-down connection) and often looks like a little surfer dude with her super long blonde hair.   Whenever the laundry is done, she goes into the more boyish clothes by choice and then ends up in the pinks when it's nearly laundry day.

And seeing as how we've been sharing photos, here are some that show her typical gender-neutralish style.  Sorry if the pics are huge ... I'm not very savvy that way.

When DD was tiny.  The wee work socks my mom knitted, and the blanket she also knitted (from her hand-spun, hand-dyed wool, for any fibre arts nerds out there)

socks.jpg

With her best buds, Charlie (the dog) and Zephyr (her cat-shaped dog):

IMGP4151.JPG

Playing with the dog food while camping:

IMGP3619.JPG

Those are footie jammies shoved into her crocs.  She loves that.

IMGP3627.JPG

More knitted goodness from my mom.  The next babe will wear that hat too, boy or girl.

IMGP4126.JPG

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#79 of 342 Old 04-30-2011, 05:32 AM

Rainbow, the tent was in Ohio, we gave up and moved back to town when it got cold.  I pushed for a yurt, but not hard enough, I suppose.  I sure do love yurts, tho.  Thinking about building a larger one for camping, but have yet to get around to it.

Starling, she is darling.  I have a hard time finding gender neutral clothes for older kids.  And hand me downs usually win out.  Sara likes to shop, so she picks out most of the kids' clothes that are purchased (thrift store).  I make some random clothes for them, like bandana shorts and pajamas.

#80 of 342 Old 04-30-2011, 06:52 AM

This thread is a great idea ! A place for everyone, TTC, pregnant and everyone else ! I guess I am now in thst "everyone else" category lol. thumbsup.gif

For those I dont know, I am the mommy of twin girls born last january. My DP carried them and I may carry another child if we decide to go that route someday. Right now, we are very busy caring for our 3 months old girls and are very happy.

Starling : your daughter is beautiful :)

Lex, It is nice to see you... I am sorry about what happened... I followed your family on your blog for years and I was very concerned when you stopped blogging... Take good care of you and do keep coming around :)

As for me, I gotta brag... Our girls have been sleeping through the night most nights for a week ! Wheeeeeee !!

Gotta go, baby calls !!

Coco

xx

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

#81 of 342 Old 04-30-2011, 08:37 PM

I scored 149 and going up.  I have yet to get our garden planted and since I've turned my writing studio into a craft/sewing room, well, now I've started making clothes, toys, and more for my little one.  but he's waking now and calling for the boobie.  off for now

Ema to my dear son (inseminated at home with frozen donor sperm) born on 6/25/10. h20homebirth.gifnocirc.gif selectivevax.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF bftoddler.gif cd.gifWife to my dear partner.  rainbow1284.gif goorganic.jpg  hang.gif  sewmachine.gif   blogging.jpg.

#82 of 342 Old 05-01-2011, 03:21 AM

half way though a TWW and its 3 am here,, I am wide awake.. so sorry for the following ramble :)

I have a QOTD

What is your living arrangements? Do you rent..own.. ect... 

what has me thinking is DP and I are in a pretty big one bedroom apt.. I think there is no need to move to a 2 bedroom until future child is at least 6 months.. Although DP really wants to have a nursery.. ect... we live in the bay area and rents are not cheap and buying is not something we want to do out here... 

we live in a great little neighborhood, love my apt complex ( small.. quiet) and there are only 2, 2 bedrooms available... we just found out one of them is going to be available mid June.. A big part of us wants to take it.. but the rent is 550 more a month .. double the size we are currently in... we fear if we dont take it... we may not get a chance again... One thing DP brought up is we do want to foster adopt if we for some reason dont get pregnant.. and one of the 1st requirements is any child they place with you has to have their own bedroom....

We are both torn.. as paying that much more for rent is money we would like to save for time off after a child is born or adopted ( ect..)

#83 of 342 Old 05-01-2011, 04:57 AM

Coco, congrats on great sleepers, hopefully they don't sprout a tooth in the next couple of months so you get some sleep!

Queermama, what kind of toys do you make?  I'm guessing soft toys by the age of your son, but I've totally started getting into toy making.  Need to go check out the forum for that.  I'm hoping to make a boat like on Ponyo with them soon.  And a truck walking toy, lol, I have to look that one up a bit more.

CaNanny, I remember being shocked and disturbed when I was looking at the price of apartments in SF 10 years ago, can't imagine what they're like now!  We own an enormous (1800 sf) 3 bedroom apartment.  Have lived in many different housing situations since the kids were born, but basically the kids shared a bedroom with us until right before Osha turned 8, when we decided to make a "kids' room," we were all still happy with being in the same room, but figured we had an awful lot of unused space, we might as well make a room for the kids (we have friends who still share a 1 bedroom apartment with their 4 and 8 year old, it's not as uncommon as one might think).  I bought a 3 bedroom so that I could adopt someday (well, I was trying to get certified to foster when I got this place) but then the economy caught up with us and my mom and sister moved in, Sara came along and that hit the back burner.  Ari still spends most nights in our room on a mattress next to our bed.  On the money thing, you are healthy and young, right?  You have no reason to think you won't get pregnant easily?  Our apartment is cheaper than rent.  That would not be the case in your part of the country, but I think saving as much as possible is probably wiser at the moment.  You will want to take time off whether you birth or adopt, so having those funds will be helpful either way.  A foster or adopted child does need a bedroom, from everything I've heard, but you certainly don't need to spend all that money for a hypothetical situation.  Also, is there a way to arrange the living space so the kids get the bedroom and the adults get a nice sleeping area in another part of the apartment, if the adoption thing were to come up?  Always lots to think about.

#84 of 342 Old 05-01-2011, 08:01 AM

Quick scattered reply:

Starling: your DD is adorable--she looks free-spirited and happy and is certainly well-outfitted in your mom's beautiful crafts.  I knit and might try to make warm hats like that for next winter.

Lex: I used to read your blog, too, and it is good to "see" you here, though I'm sorry to hear about your breakup and struggle to adjust to what must be a really trying situation.  I hope you have some great support.

Coco: I'm amazed--truly.  Sleeping through the night with two babes!  Enjoy it! 

AFM: As I posted on Q&P, we're adjusting to a diagnosis of our 9-yr-old DD with OCD.  We're working with a lovely social workers therapist (no meds, thanks) and starting to educate ourselves, but it is daunting, for sure.  I'm bracing for the new babe's arrival in July/August, hoping it won't make things even harder for DD.  She is so excited about the baby, but I'm worried that our patience and energy will be thin when DD will need plenty of both. 

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

#85 of 342 Old 05-01-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingsara View Post

erthe: wow, they are adorable! Its great to hear when people tell you a kid looks just like you! I'll bet the LO really does though! 

Aww, thanks! Really who they both look the most like is each other though, which is super weird. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoegirl007 View Post

Erthe_mama - Cute kiddos.  Is your eldest reading to your wee one?

<snip> I quickly interjected, "You can't eat that because you have baby shit all over your hands." She looked really confused as she had somehow missed out on the fact that she had smeared her hands in poop.

Thanks! Yes, my oldest is reading to my youngest. Sf is an avid reader and will take ANY chance to do so. ;)

LMAO about the poop story... LOVED it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurmommies View Post

erthe_mama - Your LOs are so super cute! 

Thank you! I love how your kid had a poop stance! haha. I wish my littlest had one... it would make it easier for EC. :/

Quote:

Both our kids wear lots of different styles (yay hand-me-downs!) and get called either sex frequently. This used to bother our oldest (trans) kid sometimes, but not anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

When DD was tiny.  The wee work socks my mom knitted, and the blanket she also knitted (from her hand-spun, hand-dyed wool, for any fibre arts nerds out there)

More knitted goodness from my mom.  The next babe will wear that hat too, boy or girl.

I freakin LOVE those work socks! And wow, the other knitteds are SO beautiful!!! Not as beautiful as that sweet kiddo of yours though! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraf View Post I make some random clothes for them, like bandana shorts

and pajamas.

I love those! I am totally making a pair when I have a working sewing machine again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cananny View Post

I have a QOTD

We rent a two bedroom apartment. We plan to have the kids share a room (oldest is EXCITED about it) when the littlest stops co-sleeping. Hopefully that'll happen before the next little is born. But now I'm counting my chickens. lol

Well, my oldest is complaining that my youngest smells like "YOUR-in" now (haha!) so I better go change her. Until next time, keep fit and have fun! ;)

placenta.gifeat.gif I'm a queer / trans-activist / poly / pagan / (dis)abled  / crazy / crunchy partner to fsonj; we're mamas to our unschooled/freeskooled 10yo, and co-breastfeed our sprightly toddler love.gif born Nov '10! (Ask me about how to supplement at the breast!)

#86 of 342 Old 05-01-2011, 10:36 AM

thank you,, i too am thinking the same thing.. where i dont want to spend extra $ for something we do not need at the time or even a yr from now.. its nice to hear others perspective as well... we do not plan to co sleep/ so dp is worried about having kids in our room .. means they would end up in our bed..... i assure her lots of people have baby beds in the parents room for years and its all ok!! 

yes dp is healthy , young and I am sure we will get preg.. the process is a bit daunting though for sure~~

#87 of 342 Old 05-01-2011, 03:41 PM

It's been a crazy busy week for us here in the C-P household. I've missed a ton on the thread! On the up side, we have been having a good time with friends and family, so I can't really complain. I CAN complain that E was sick and then passed his ickyness on to me, though, so I am battle some sort of cold. Meh. I wish the weather would finally warm up and cold and flu season would be gone!!

Quote:

I am not picky at all when it comes to E's clothes, though as of yet he has not voiced much of an opinion on what he wears. I buy him boyish clothes, just because it tends to be what I like. That said, his favourite shirt right now is a pink striped ON golf shirt. He wears it whenever it's clean, and I'm fine with that. I will not, however, let him grow his hair out. Not because I feel strongly one way or another about long hair on boys, but because E's hair is so coarse and thick that it becomes a right pain to maintain when it gets long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post

Glad to be back here.

Lex

Nice to see you Lexhug2.gif to you and your boys. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

Playing with the dog food while camping:

IMGP3619.JPG

Oh goodness s&d, she is so so beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco99 View Post

As for me, I gotta brag... Our girls have been sleeping through the night most nights for a week ! Wheeeeeee !!

Oh man, I'm jealous! My 4.5 year old is still up at least once most night. Sigh. He's a tiring one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cananny View Post

I have a QOTD

what has me thinking is DP and I are in a pretty big one bedroom apt.. I think there is no need to move to a 2 bedroom until future child is at least 6 months.. Although DP really wants to have a nursery.. ect... we live in the bay area and rents are not cheap and buying is not something we want to do out here... 

we live in a great little neighborhood, love my apt complex ( small.. quiet) and there are only 2, 2 bedrooms available... we just found out one of them is going to be available mid June.. A big part of us wants to take it.. but the rent is 550 more a month .. double the size we are currently in... we fear if we dont take it... we may not get a chance again... One thing DP brought up is we do want to foster adopt if we for some reason dont get pregnant.. and one of the 1st requirements is any child they place with you has to have their own bedroom....

We are both torn.. as paying that much more for rent is money we would like to save for time off after a child is born or adopted ( ect..)

My AOTD: We rent, in a housing co-operative. Even though we pay market rent on our unit, it is oh so much more affordable than other options in our area. We were looking at two-bedroom apartments that were renting for more than we are now paying for our 3-bedroom townhouse unit. Yes, we do have mandatory volunteer hours and such, but I really like the sense of community we have. Also, almost everyone has kids, so there are lots of people for E to play with. You might want to see if their are co-op options in your area. They can have long waiting lists though.

Alright, I need to go cut Ru and E's hair. Fun times!

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
#88 of 342 Old 05-02-2011, 06:23 AM

Happy Monday, everyone!

QOTD:

We rent a small two-bedroom apartment (~800 square feet). I would like more space, or at least, differently configured space. We, like CANanny, live in a very expensive city, so this is about it for our price range unless we're willing to move way out to the 'burbs. Which we're not.

When DD was born, we lived (in a different, cheaper, city) in a huge one-bedroom apartment. She slept in our bed for the first six or seven months, and then we moved her to a crib next to the bed. When she was about ten months old, we moved to a two-bedroom apartment, and she moved into her own room. Sleeping arrangements are very individual- each family has very different wants and needs, in my experience. But for us, by the time DD was ten months old, we were really ready for her to be in her own room. She slept much better, and slept later in the mornings, and we slept much better, and regained a bit of, um, intimacy. All of that said, sleep is one area is which I'm probably a lot less crunchy than much of MDC, and I know that many people here have had wonderful experiences co-sleeping and room sharing much longer than we did. In terms of whether or not to move, one thing that we had considered, before we found our two-bedroom and once we decided we wanted DD to have her own room, was moving ourselves into our living room. That would have worked in our place, given the space and the arrangement of rooms, and we would have done it if we hadn't found such a great two-bedroom. Though again, now that I live in a place with an *insane* housing market, I do understand the need to jump on deals when they appear. But, since you're not pregnant yet, I would probably stay put. You'll want the extra money when the baby comes, and you've got at minimum a year before you'll really need another bedroom. That's what, $6,000 you could save?

I *love* everyone's kid pics. I need to figure out how to post from my phone so that I can upload some of DD. Starling, I can't believe your DD is such a...person! How do they go from squishy little baby to real live kid so quickly?!?

So, our big news is that we agreed to start TTC again in August!!!! We're not really talking about it with anyone IRL, so I'm excited to actually say it out loud here! We have a summer full of travel and activity, and plan to start inseminations as soon as we're back from our last trip. I'm really, really excited!

#89 of 342 Old 05-02-2011, 06:48 AM

Oh, one final (not so) funny story:

I was in the dressing room of a department store the other day, trying on some work clothes. As I walked out, carrying a couple dresses, a girl who was shopping with her mother stopped and stared at me. She was maybe 7 or 8, and dressed in a princess outfit. She looked at me, looked at the dresses in my hand, and then said, "You can't buy those! Boys can't wear dresses!" I was so startled that I didn't say anything. What I wish I had said to her was, "Of course they can!" Mainly I was just so confused that by the time I figured out what was going on (she thought I was a boy, and then decided to gender-police me), they had already walked away. What's funny about it is that, aside from having short hair, I'm actually pretty femme. So, it was an unexpected glimpse into what my butcher friends experience all the time. And it made me really sad for all the kids out there who will get policed by other little kids like this one, and by the adults who help these kids learn what they know about gender. 

What's also funny is that I told my neighbor this story, and she then relayed to me that her three-year-old son asked if Ocean has two daddies, because he thought DP and I were both boys. So, maybe I'm more butch than I realize???

And, here's a picture of DD sitting in her toy box. stillheart.gif

Ocean 3.JPG

#90 of 342 Old 05-02-2011, 07:38 AM

we bought ds1 a 2-wheeler bike with training wheels this weekend.  he picked out what the store considered to be a girl's bike - it's blue but has flowers and tassles on the handlebars and a little purse with a hummingbird.  we bought it of course and major kudos to the sales lady who didn't blink an eye or make any comments.  :)  ds1 LOVES it.  :)

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page