Chatty Queers Unite! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 342 Old 05-24-2011, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Coco- What CUTIES!!! I love the pics, keep them coming!

QOTD- I guess I'm chapstick/lipstick. DW would like to see more of the lipstick side more often. ;) I am an accountant (currently for a marketing agency)

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#182 of 342 Old 05-24-2011, 01:14 PM

as a crunchy, SAHM, chapstick lesbian that is curvaceous and wears funky colored eye make-up I am often mistaken for femme or lipstick and I.AM.NOT. wink1.gif I wear more "girly" clothes because they flatter my figure but I fix the car, and do small home repairs, I am more interested in things that are not considered femme.

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#183 of 342 Old 05-24-2011, 01:28 PM

QOTD: Well, first, I identify more as "queer" then "lesbian." In large part this has to do with having a partner who is trans, but it also has to do with the complexities of my own identity. In terms of qualifiers, I'd say I'm andro-femme. I sometimes wear makeup, but I do it in a way reminds me more of a gay boy than a feminine woman (whatever that means!).

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#184 of 342 Old 05-24-2011, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

QOTD:  I'm a femme, and definitely solidly planted in the 'queer' category versus 'lesbian'.  And I'm a paramedic, which is about as un-femme as it gets.  DP is genderqueer, or butch and is a chef.  Good luck with your presentation! 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#185 of 342 Old 05-24-2011, 02:19 PM

Woah, can I join in and introduce myself? shy.gif

I'm a pansexual queer femme womyn who has had partners of many gender/sex orientations. I'm currently "single"  (no committed partners), as of almost 3 weeks ago. It was an awful breakup and blah blah blah... But I've been using this space to work on myself, and to be honest, I have reason to be very happy about that.

I don't yet have a child, but am planning an early autumn conception with a known donor (ahem - I have a friend). I know I am fertile and able to conceive. I live in a collective, queer, anti-authoritarian house. We all do a lot of community organizing in our area and beyond. I'm a doula and a childcare support consultant who helps parents equip themselves with strategies to stay radically compassionate in their care for their children. Sometimes in the face of counter-pressure.

This chat thread is awesome. That is all.

ETA:: as far as the question of the day, I am definitely a femme, artsy, crunchy/non-hippie, radical, lipstick queer (not lesbian, so not sure if it's relevant for your paper).

Forest For The Trees  stillheart.gif  Radical Family Support Consulting for Growing Families (ask me!)
10+ Years in Professional Holistic Childcare and Support / Alternative Education / Unschooling my Friend, Z (4)

Future Community-Dwelling, Stay-at-Home, Sole-Parent by Choice!

#186 of 342 Old 05-24-2011, 02:28 PM

Double-post erased!

oops... wrong thread!

Forest For The Trees  stillheart.gif  Radical Family Support Consulting for Growing Families (ask me!)
10+ Years in Professional Holistic Childcare and Support / Alternative Education / Unschooling my Friend, Z (4)

Future Community-Dwelling, Stay-at-Home, Sole-Parent by Choice!

#187 of 342 Old 05-24-2011, 02:57 PM

i have never fully fit into any one identity category.  i'm some combo of artsy/earthy/crunchy/academic in terms of aesthetic and style--long hair, no makeup, hairy legs and underarms.  i never wear skirts or dresses, always wear scarves, tank tops, jeans, and cardigans.  i'm finishing up a master's in social justice education, but have worked in academic libraries, bakeries, organic farms, etc.  also in the queer category, never lesbian.

dp is androgynous, but with large breasts that she does not bind or contain with sport bras.  she is an artist (painter, illustrator, animator).  not politically queer.  might call herself "gay" if forced to identify.

angela, i love your self description--make-up, but like a gay boy.  

#188 of 342 Old 05-24-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPP View Post

Hey Chatty Queers! I'm popping over with a very selfish QOTD innocent.gif...As some of you know I am currently pursuing my Master's in Community Counseling. Right now I'm in a Career Counseling class and I have to present a workshop to my classmates about a specific group of people and their career paths. I am supposed to educate my peers about said group and talk to them about how to counsel more effectively. I decided, naturally, to focus on lesbians! But more specifically lesbian subgroups..butch, femme, lipstick, chapstick, crunchy, artsy, sporty...etc. I'm basically trying to debunk stereotypes and prove through my workshop that not all lesbians are construction workers or PE teachers and that career counselors need to keep that in mind.

So here is my question: What lesbian subgroup would you consider yourself? And what do you do for a living? If you feel like you are in more than one (I'm an artsy, chapstick lesbian!) then pick more than one! Thank you smile.gif

Hum...... I have no idea what subgroup I consider myself in... I dont classify myself really ;-) Can you define "chapstick" lesbian ? I never heared that one ! I'm probably closer to sporty I guess. And I am a social worker, specialized in supporting victims of trauma, mainly victims of violence against women. I also do alot of training on PTSD and intimate partner violence issues. Good luck with your Masters :) I finished mine in 2002... and I woudn't go back lol.

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

#189 of 342 Old 05-24-2011, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Qmama--lol! I'll pass it along, just in case he takes you up on it. He's really cute, too. We did have some back and forth conversations about using donors of other ethnicities (I have some half-Japanese cousins who are beautiful beyond all measures of fairness) but decided that since we don't have the cultural chops to back it up it probably wasn't such a hot idea for us as a family.

Coco--They're just gorgeous! I love the one of both of them together!

Habitat--welcome to the party! Feel free to come on over to queer conceptions whenever you're thinking of getting started on the baby side of things. In the meantime, glad to have you with us!

To the older QOTD--not sure yet. I think we're likely to go for Mommy and Mama, although there have been lengthy conversations about things like Mama and Mamita (or, better, Mamacita). And sometimes about being Little Mama (which sucks for me, since I'd be 'Big Mama' by default--not ok). I hate the idea of first names, so I'd like to avoid something that leads in that direction, but I think we'll probably just answer whatever our kid uses, as long as it isn't offensive. DP has mentioned Dad as a possibility, but since she is in no way genderqueer in her identity or dress (ie: doesn't get mistaken for a man ever, under any circumstances, and doesn't wish to be considered male at all) I think it would be confusing for people (and for the kid, possibly). If it's something she still wants to consider when the time comes we'll probably talk it out more and see how it goes, but I think it's unlikely at this point.

As for the identity question. Hmm...well. I think of queer as being the easiest way to classify me, but I'll also take bi as a label (it's a long conversation, I know) or lesbian, since that's how I get labelled (or straight, since that's how I get read? Nah.). I'm definitely more chapstick than anything. Coco--I think the chapstick thing started with Ellen DeGeneres defining herself that way, btw. I'm fairly femme, in that I wear dresses and skirts and like to look pretty, but I can't wear heels of any real height, can't put on makeup beyond a basic routine, can't do anything too exciting with my hair, and am unlikely to try much of that anyway. My interests are all over the place--half very stereotypical 50s housewife (baking, sewing, gardening, crafts) half that very stereotypical 50's housewife's husband (plumbing, remodeling, etc). Kind of artsy, kind of academic, kind of all over the place.

It's so interesting to get to know you all better through these questions! I love it! Also, Wehrli, I hear you on the curvy-means-girly clothing issue. Half the time in thrift stores the stuff that looks good on me turns out to be from Motherhood. -sigh-

She's here! joy.gif
#190 of 342 Old 05-24-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat View Post

Woah, can I join in and introduce myself? shy.gif

I'm a pansexual queer femme womyn who has had partners of many gender/sex orientations. I'm currently "single"  (no committed partners), as of almost 3 weeks ago. It was an awful breakup and blah blah blah... But I've been using this space to work on myself, and to be honest, I have reason to be very happy about that.

@habitat, I saw you on a different thread and thought you were just fabulous, so I'm very happy to see you here!  

QOTD: I identify as a lesbian.  I've been with my wife for over eighteen years and there's no reason to identify as anything else but lesbian.  I don't feel I'm much beyond that when it comes to my sexuality.  I'm firmly gendered as a woman, I'm fat, I can't wear heels because of a broken ankle ten years ago but I have in the past, at the moment I either live in scrubs (I'm an RN) or jeans and t-shirts (I'm a parent), clogs (RN) or sandals/clogs that I can walk in (parent).  I did pick up a cute pair of heeled Clarks clogs at Goodwill, so I don't feel terribly butch, plus I really hate any type of handy work.  I don't do sports but I did them for a long time when I was younger.  I do have long hair but out of habit/financial necessity.  I've had short hair, different colored hair, bangs and so on in the past.  I have no idea how all that defines me in the world of queerness.    

Me: almost 40, RN DW: 38, CPD Boy: born 4/2/2007 Girl: born 8/23/2010
Queer Parenting since 2007
#191 of 342 Old 05-24-2011, 10:48 PM

QOTD: I really do not fit into any one category.. I say I am queer.. I appear more butch because i have short usually bleached or hot pink fo hawk /spiked hair and almost always wear jeans and t shirts ( I am a career nanny) I live in my vans slip ons~ But I am not into sports or fixing things....I gave been know on occasion to put on a skirt just to get reactions~ LOL last year on my b day I went super femme with heels, make up, skirt and corset.. needless to say everyone was a bit shell shocked :)

DP is more femme.. loves skirts ~ she wears one almost every day.. she is the make up wearing, heel wearing girly~ 

AFM.. am doing much better, had xrays and dr said its just a lot of bruising.. Today I have been able to do most everything I normally can with little pain!! Thank you all for your kind wishes and healing thoughts!!

Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

#192 of 342 Old 05-24-2011, 10:53 PM

QOTD: I'm definitely not femme and my friends laugh if I try to claim that I'm butch ;) I'm a 'tweener.' I can't live without lip balm, never touch make-up, don't wear dresses but I wear women's clothes. I love sports, sewing, art and music. I'm not sure what that makes me in terms of a label that someone else might give me. I call myself a lesbian in terms of my sexuality. I'm a senior business analyst in the IT industry.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#193 of 342 Old 05-24-2011, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

And now for some cuteness!  Here is dd 'reading' one of her library books.  That's my sister in the background.  Sorry it's a skinny video ... I'm just learning to use my iphone and didn't realize that I should've turned it on it's side.  Doh!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#194 of 342 Old 05-25-2011, 02:35 AM

Hmmm. Categories are tricky. I tend to think of myself as an activist. Before my son was born I worked as a community organiser / community development worker and may one day return to it. For now, I am a doula and child birth educator. I do identify as a lesbian but I'm not as rigid as to deny the possibility of fluidity throughout my lifetime. I don't really fit any of the 'types' suggested. Definitely not butch, nor sporty. Not femme - never worn make-up or heels in my life but I firmly identify as a woman - I'm girly in the sense that I'm not keen on manual labour but I often think that's just 'cos I'm lazy. Most of my LGBTQI friends (actually, most of my friends across the board) have an activist/social justice background and they are certainly the folks with whom I have most in common and enjoy spending time with.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#195 of 342 Old 05-25-2011, 03:54 AM

She is ADORABLE Starling !!! Wow, that is amazing. I am very much looking forward to our twins "reading" like that ! I read Charlie a book last night, she was not very impressed LOL. I will keep trying ! Fron now on, I think I am going to try to read to one of them everyday. They are not quite 4 months old but I really want to give them the love of reading... my mom gave that to me and it is a great gift. Obviously, you succeded in giving that gift to your daughter :)

Coco

xxx

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

#196 of 342 Old 05-25-2011, 04:24 AM

OMG S&D - She is the cutest thing ever!!! DS loves to 'read' now too. He has the whole of Cat in the Hat memorised. It blows me away.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#197 of 342 Old 05-25-2011, 04:44 AM

categories qotd - hmmm.  some of my earliest memories are of being a tomboy with short curly hair and playing with my boy cousins cars and lego.  i was mistaken for a boy all the time when i was a child.  when my boobs started sprouting (and i have some very large boobs!) i was so sad and even sadder to have to wear a bra.  however, i never thought of myself as trans.  i suppose that was an inkling of knowing girls didn't get or weren't expect to have as many opportunities as boys?  i wasn't particularly sporty as a child or teenager - i played with lego, read a ton of books above my reading age and later programmed in basic.  i did love to swim (got all my distance badges) but never competitively.  as a young adult i did karate.

anyways, i don't identify as femme or butch.  i'm very firmly attracted to women, so to that extent i'd say i'm a lesbian.  i'm not so hot with power tools or diy - i mean i can assemble furniture etc.. but it's not my favourite thing to do.  now, give me an electronic device or computer or software to configure and i am ALL.OVER.THAT.  :)  i don't own a truck.  i wear dm shoes and boots.  i don't wear women's clothes besides panties and bras.  i have been pregnant and nursed.  i love watching football (soccer) and baseball.  i don't wear make-up.  i'm not sure what category i belong in.  lol!

career-wise, i am definitely in what would be considered a male occupation.  i'm in IT (21 years!!), at a pretty senior level and have 3 guys under me.  i work as a Unix admin with some middleware thrown in for good measure.  as an interesting story - in secondary school we all had to visit with the careers advisor at the end of 4th year to discuss our career path.  i wanted to get a bsc. in computer science.  the careers advisor saw that i had secretarial studies (i was in an advanced class and took that because my mum said it was always useful to be able to type - it was my easiest O grade by FAR) and suggested i be a secretary.  well, i tore her a new one and left her in tears.  the next person she had to see was my friend alice who wanted to be an architect.  i did get my bsc. in computer science and alice did become an architect.

dp really doesn't fit into any category either.  i suppose she is much better with power tools than me.  and she is a better cook.  she has also been pregnant and nursed.

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#198 of 342 Old 05-25-2011, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, catagories are fun to read about. I'm really enjoying everyone's responses. I think I'm an Artsy/Chapstick (maybe even androgenous) type of girl. I love photography (I was a photomajor in college) and although I'm lacking carrying my camera around lately, I very much love it and unique types of art (bold colors, texture, different forms of media). I love to look at photography online (or in person)
and talk about it and marvel in it. I wear 90% guys clothes, only really shop in the guys departmens, and really feel much more comfortable in guys clothes. I love bright colors, stripes, plaid/flannel, skinny jeans, and long shorts. I do not for the life of me know how to rock a pair of heels and will probably never own a pair. I love tennis shoes and sandals and being barefoot. I don't like make up at all, cannot put it on, and feel like I look funny in it. I rock a few tats, have had my lip pierced for almost 6 years now and love my pink hair (thats growing out only because I cannot decided how I want it cut next). I really don't  think much about how to lable myself (thought about it for two hours before I posted) and thats the best I can come up with.

Tell me more about your project Mrs. PP! Is it a class you are teAching or a paper?!

DP to Sara, two crazy kids running around, lil dude born 11-1-11babyf.gif and the new guy is home !! babyboy.gif  (5/2/12)

#199 of 342 Old 05-25-2011, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

starling, I'm now watching all of your videos on youtube because that is the cutest little girl in canada!

DP to Sara, two crazy kids running around, lil dude born 11-1-11babyf.gif and the new guy is home !! babyboy.gif  (5/2/12)

#200 of 342 Old 05-25-2011, 07:02 AM

It would seem that most of us queer MDCers don't like labels or boxes.  Shocking!

Since I think this QOTD is more about how people would read me (as opposed to how I would define myself), I totally get read as a straight girl. Once you see me with my DW, then you'd definitely read me as a femme/lipstick lesbian, but if you totally take those terms by their definition, I'm a lipstick lesbian.  I've always been attracted to girlier or androgynous girls.  I love dresses and shoes, but I don't know a lick of anything about make up.  I love to hike and camp and garden and get dirty, but I also love to cook and bake.  I undertake household renos and improvements.  I'm a fundraiser in the not-for-profit sector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyisa View Post

My interests are all over the place--half very stereotypical 50s housewife (baking, sewing, gardening, crafts) half that very stereotypical 50's housewife's husband (plumbing, remodeling, etc). Kind of artsy, kind of academic, kind of all over the place.

Prettyisa - I totally yeahthat.gif.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#201 of 342 Old 05-25-2011, 11:11 AM

QOTD:  I don't use labels very often but feel pretty comfortable with lesbian and queer.  There is always the "who I am now" versus "what could have been"  that make me reluctant to define things to narrowly.  I like the term Andro-Femme term used by AngelaM.  I am a director at a large company so I dress the part - tailored women's clothes, no make-up, primary and neutral colors.  Outside of work, I relax a bit.  I am comfortable wearing the occasional dress and use make-up on special events but wouldn't consider myself terribly girly.  DW and I recently attended a fundraising function and I got the urge to dress it up but I wound up having enough make-up on that I felt a bit like a drag queen.  I guess that keeps me squarely out of the "lipstick" category :-)

Mad about DP with dog2.gif dog2.gifcanine children.

Proud auntie to 8 nieces and nephews.

TTC #1 since October 2010. 

#202 of 342 Old 05-25-2011, 12:10 PM

Thank you all so, so much! All of your responses are incredibly helpful and the diversity is amazing. You all are absolutely proving my point that not all lesbian/queer women have the same types of careers and I think it's wonderful! And thank you for bringing up queer as well - I apologize if I offended anyone innocent.gif 

Thank you all again - my project is going to be awesome orngbiggrin.gif

smilingsara - It's actually a presentation/workshop that I have to put on for my Career Counseling class. I am going to be educating my fellow classmates and future counselors about the diversity within the lesbian/queer community and also how there is no one-size-fits-all type of career. I guarantee there are some classmates that believe all women-who-love-women are softball coaches, PE teachers, tennis players, truck drivers....you get the idea. It's going to be fun!

Kara (31) in luxlove.gif with DW Nicki (28) + dog2.gifOllie & Lola. TTC #1 - September, October, November 2011 & May 2012 - bfn

#203 of 342 Old 05-25-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to say what I do or a living. I'm a freelance photographer and i also work part time at chipotle (retail/food industry). I'm also just finishing up my job as a nanny.

That sounds like a way cool presentation and wish I could see it!

#204 of 342 Old 05-25-2011, 08:13 PM

I guess if I had to go with a label I would be considered lipstick. I mostly just get taken for straight, especially now when I am out with the LO. However I am the builder/fixer in the house as well. I am a certified veterinary technician so I am another one who mostly lives in scrubs. This sounds like it is shaping up to be one of the coolest projects ever!

J&M parenting our little breast-feeding, co-sleeping, moby-riding sleepytime.gif since July '09! Added a baby.gif brother in March '12!

#205 of 342 Old 05-26-2011, 04:29 PM

Straight up (pun kind of intended) lesbian here.   Known to rock the skirts/dresses but equally comfy in jeans/button downs :)  I'm also clergy...

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#206 of 342 Old 05-26-2011, 07:09 PM

As for the older QOTD, we are Ema (that's me and it's hebrew for mother) and Mama.  our ds (11 months yesterday) already says mama and ema pretty clearly...  though Ema usually means he wants the boobies. i love it when we are in public and I've finished up nursing him and then say, "go see Mama" as I hand him to my dp.  People aren't sure what to think.  

when it comes to the term "Dad", we always correct people and say "donor".   we have lots of queer friends who co-parent with a dad, but we used willing to be known sperm.

baby calling for the boobie.

Ema to my dear son (inseminated at home with frozen donor sperm) born on 6/25/10. h20homebirth.gifnocirc.gif selectivevax.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF bftoddler.gif cd.gifWife to my dear partner.  rainbow1284.gif goorganic.jpg  hang.gif  sewmachine.gif   blogging.jpg.

#207 of 342 Old 05-26-2011, 08:01 PM

Wow--fantastic discussion.  I haven't been great at keeping up on this thread but thought I'd drop in to add to the fabulously diverse responses about career and gender and sexual identity.  As much as I'd like it to be more complicated at times, I'm probably safely in the lipstick category, though I'm not sufficiently into fashion to consider myself a serious femme.  My preferred clothing is jeans and a fitted sweater, though I'm happy to put on a dress for special occasions.  I'll use either bi (in the past and the theoretical future) and lesbian (for the past 16 yrs) but prefer queer.  As for work, I'm an assistant professor of History and Women's Studies at a big public university.  Good luck with your MA project, Mrs. PP!  If you need or would like an outside reader from a regional university, let me know!  I'd love to talk with your about it and/or read it! 

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

#208 of 342 Old 05-26-2011, 09:56 PM

Ok, so I don't really have a QOTD but just a question. DP and I are trying for #2 later this month and I keep feeling incredibly guilty about it. Like I will be depriving my DD of my attention and time. Did anyone else have these reservations before having another? I mean I want her to have a sibling but what if they don't get along and I ruin her life or something? I'm probably being dramatic. . .

J&M parenting our little breast-feeding, co-sleeping, moby-riding sleepytime.gif since July '09! Added a baby.gif brother in March '12!

#209 of 342 Old 05-26-2011, 09:58 PM

Wow, all!  I haven't been posting for awhile, but I'm lurking about and thought I'd drop in to add to the labels QOTD, if my response isn't too tardy!  

I identify as a lesbian, although I really dislike the word 'lesbian' for some reason.  Usually I tell people I'm gay.  Queer doesn't bother me, but I'd never use it as a term when coming out to someone, or really in conversation.  My wife identifies as bi, but usually she just says she's gay because people don't understand how she could be bi but in a committed monogamous relationship with a woman.  Oh well.  

DW and I are licensed foster moms, first and foremost.  We have two new little ones (hence the radio silence on my part).  But we both work full time jobs "on the side", haha.

I work as a histotechnologist in a dermatopathology laboratory.  Basically, my lab services local dermatologists who slice suspicious-looking skin off patients worried about cancer and whatnot.  We process the specimens and mount them on slides to be diagnosed.  My work wardrobe consists of all black scrubs (company uniform), but I'd be quite likely to choose to wear all black scrubs all the time if my wife didn't make me wear "normal people clothes", as she calls them.  My preference is comfortable jeans and a tshirt with some funny quip on it, or a shirt bearing the logo of our old roller derby team(s) - we both skated with Tucson Roller Derby for 5 years.  Very, very rarely I will wear a dress.  Even more rarely than that I will wear a skirt.  I'm pretty large-breasted and struggle to find blouses that I like they way they look and fit, therefore the tshirts.  

My wife is the Assistant Technical Director in a theatre here, she specializes in lighting and wiring and ... anything electrically inclined, I suppose.  She's got her Bachelor's degree in American Sign Language interpreting, specifically educational interpreting, but worked in the field for two years before finally coming to the conclusion that she hates the politics involved and going back to work in the theatre she had her first college job in.  She loves cargo guy's shorts and tshirts almost as much as she likes her cute skirts and feminine tops.  You'd be as likely to find her in a tank top and shorts, wearing a bandanna, tucked underneath the car doing an oil change, as you would be to find her wearing a sundress and knitting.  She seems to handle the "extremes" of lesbianism and I happily occupy the middle of the proverbial gay road, lol.  

I would call myself an artsy chapstick lesbian who doesn't foray into either butch or femme stereotypes.  I enjoy drawing and painting and sculpting, whereas my wife excels in stained glass, photography, and graphic design.  We both dabble in welding.  As I mentioned above, we played roller derby for 5 years and each spent some time playing with the local women's rugby team - DW longer than myself.  DW also played soccer for a few seasons.  

Love seeing everyone's responses here, good luck Mrs. PP!

partners.gif Mom and Mama to our incredible new daughter, Everleigh Jane (9.1.12)! We have a blog, too!
#210 of 342 Old 05-27-2011, 08:44 AM

Does anyone else feel that the hoopla over gender and gendering children is old news that the mainstream is just now catching up to?  

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page