People doing your IUIs at home... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 05-06-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Where are you getting your catheters from?

When I was TTC my DD, I ordered some from Zavos, but they don't seem to be selling them to individuals anymore. Any suggestions?

Alternately, if you have a big stash that you're not going to use and want to sell me some, send me a note. We're not starting until August, but I want to try and start getting stuff lined up.

Thanks!

Angela

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 48 Old 05-06-2011, 07:46 AM

We used the tomcat ones from amazon.... Hopefully next week I'll be able to say we have a lot of extra... We sure have plenty of extra medium, clear plastic speculums if you are in need of those.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#3 of 48 Old 05-06-2011, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome! I hope that you find yourselves with more leftovers than you could possibly use!

(Though, I felt that way after I got pregnant with Ocean, and I still managed to give all those catheters away. Hmm, I like to think that I'm responsible for lots of queer pregnancies out there!)

And yeah, we're all set on the specula. I too had to order a multi-pack, and I've never been able to give all of those away...

#4 of 48 Old 05-06-2011, 10:39 AM

I'm interested to know this as well!  I'm thinking of starting in August also.  (FINALLY!!!!!!) 

I could actually use a speculum or two... I'm happy to pay for them and shipping if either of you would like to share!

Me36), PCOS -  IUI#1 post HSG w/50mg clomid & trigger 7/25/12: BFN  & med break for cyst IUI#2  9-9-12 BFN IUI#3 10-2013 BFN  IUI#4  2-18-13 same meds, new donor BFN, IUI#5 6/1/13 100mg clomid trigger, BFN,  IUI#6 TBD 8-2013 GONAL-F and trigger blogging.jpgdog2.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#5 of 48 Old 05-06-2011, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Jenny, the specula are really easy to find online, and they used to sell them in the sex toy shop on Wickendon street, back before it changed owners. Not sure if they still do, but you might call. We're in DC now, or I'd dig one out from my stash for you.

Seraf, thanks for the link. Those will work well. Last time I was TTC I was dating a vet, and the one time I ran out of catheters she brought me a couple from her practice. They really do use them for tomcats...

#6 of 48 Old 05-06-2011, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, and Jenny, congrats on getting started! I can give you the name of a local homebirth midwife who will do at-home IUIs, if you are interested. She did mine when I was TTC with Ocean and the friend who normally helped me was out of town. That was actually the cycle I got pregnant, too.

Also, just FYI, I've heard anecdotally that the fertility clinic at Women and Infants has some sort of "leftover" sperm bank- samples that people had shipped there and then never used. I never followed up on it (I was pretty determined to avoid an REs office), but if you find yourself headed that route, it's worth asking about. Anything to save on sperm $$...

#7 of 48 Old 05-06-2011, 11:08 AM

Thanks, Angela!  :-)

I will definitely keep the W&I clinic in mind.  I have a friend who may be giving me her husband's frozen -- they didn't end up ever needing it. 

I have another known donor (fresh) that I'm planning to use, too.  So, the tomcat may end up being unnecessary... I'm waiting to find out about the frozen before I buy it. ( I have this correct, right?  Only washed sperm can be used for an IUI, right?)

Are you referring to midwife MM-H?  She is on my list!  I am also friends with some of her assistants, so I'm thinking perhaps they may be able to help.  We're doula buddies.  :)

Me36), PCOS -  IUI#1 post HSG w/50mg clomid & trigger 7/25/12: BFN  & med break for cyst IUI#2  9-9-12 BFN IUI#3 10-2013 BFN  IUI#4  2-18-13 same meds, new donor BFN, IUI#5 6/1/13 100mg clomid trigger, BFN,  IUI#6 TBD 8-2013 GONAL-F and trigger blogging.jpgdog2.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#8 of 48 Old 05-06-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Ha, that's funny! MMH delivered Ocean. She's great!

The person I'm referring to is based out of Mass. She posts here in the RI Tribe- PaigeCPM. But yes, Mary would be closer. She wasn't doing the home stuff back when I was TTC/pregnant. I totally would have had a homebirth with her if I could have. 

And yes, if you're hooked up with the doulas you won't have any problem finding someone to help you!

#9 of 48 Old 05-06-2011, 11:14 AM

Jenny, I'm serafs partner. Pm me your address and we can send you some speculums in the mail on Monday! Congrats on all of your hard work paying off! And yes, only washed sperm can be used fr iuis. Someone on QC said they buy ici sperm and their doc washes it to use for iui, so if you have access to that, that may work too!

DP to Sara, two crazy kids running around, lil dude born 11-1-11babyf.gif and the new guy is home !! babyboy.gif  (5/2/12)

#10 of 48 Old 05-06-2011, 11:35 AM

Thank you, Sara!  I just sent you a PM!  :)

#11 of 48 Old 05-07-2011, 03:13 AM

I'm not sure if it's true that only washed sperm can be used for IUI's... I remember this conversation happening back when we were TTC our DS. He was a DIY IVI job. I was never really into the idea of a DIY IUI until my naturopath handed me a stack of catheters and specula yesterday.

Does anyone know more?

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#12 of 48 Old 05-09-2011, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post

I'm not sure if it's true that only washed sperm can be used for IUI's... I remember this conversation happening back when we were TTC our DS. He was a DIY IVI job. I was never really into the idea of a DIY IUI until my naturopath handed me a stack of catheters and specula yesterday.

Does anyone know more?

Hmm. I have *definitely* read in multiple places that only washed sperm should be used for IUI. There are risks of cramping and infection if unwashed sperm is deposited straight into the uterus. That said, I remember a couple of years ago someone wrote about their REs office accidently doing their IUI with unwashed sperm, and nothing terrible happened. So, I don't know...

#13 of 48 Old 05-15-2011, 10:27 AM

Hi Everyone. I've just joined. I recently ordered tomcat catheters from http://inseminationsupplies.com.

#14 of 48 Old 05-15-2011, 06:30 PM

Thanks Angela - I did my research and you're right. You can do it but you're not likely to get pregnant because the prostaglandins in the unwashed semen will likely cause cramping/contractions which will prevent the swimmers from implanting. So it will hurt and not be useful. Infection is also a possibility.

So then, the specula? I remember people being concerned about using one if just doing an IVI/ICI because when pulling it out, a bunch of semen comes out - is that a real concern? Anyone got some thoughts?

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#15 of 48 Old 05-16-2011, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post

Thanks Angela - I did my research and you're right. You can do it but you're not likely to get pregnant because the prostaglandins in the unwashed semen will likely cause cramping/contractions which will prevent the swimmers from implanting. So it will hurt and not be useful. Infection is also a possibility.

So then, the specula? I remember people being concerned about using one if just doing an IVI/ICI because when pulling it out, a bunch of semen comes out - is that a real concern? Anyone got some thoughts?

Yes, I too have heard that if you're doing an IVI/ICI you should not use a speculum, because you don't want to pull any sperm out by accident. That said, I've never used fresh, so I'm not really sure how much you have to work with. With the frozen vials, there is SO LITTLE FLUID there, you really don't want to waste a drop. Are you thinking that using a speculum will help you deposit the goods closer to the target, and thus, have a better chance of some sperm making it to the other side?

#16 of 48 Old 10-11-2012, 09:20 PM

We are having issues getting our sperm out of Fairfax Cryobank. Their piclup form requires us to get a doc or licensed something to sign. Its insane cuz we also habe to.do it 24 hrs in advance. Does anyone know whom in.the dc/north va area could help us? [/ SIZE]
#17 of 48 Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 PM

You should post this in the Queer Conceptions thread to get more eyeballs on it. When we used a bank and had it delivered to our home, my regular family doctor signed my paperwork.

Mama to Alex, born 8/11. Just changed my username...
#18 of 48 Old 10-12-2012, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I had my regular doc sign my form too.  They might even allow a nurse practitioner, I'm not sure. 

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#19 of 48 Old 10-12-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Ha, this is an old thread! Yes, for most banks (I believe NW Cryobank is the exception) you'll need a doctor's signature. The nurse practicioner in my student health clinic signed for me back when I was TTC number 1. She had nothing to do with my inseminations- I just told her what I was doing, asked for a signature, and she did it.

Good luck!

#20 of 48 Old 12-23-2012, 08:29 PM

Anyone know where my partner and I can learn to do at-home IUIs ourselves? Any risks involved?
#21 of 48 Old 12-23-2012, 10:49 PM

These are pretty good directions: http://theivp.com/ladybusiness/?p=12

I also PM's you with some specifics about what we did for our recent (BFP!) cycle.

Joy (29), wife to C (28) and dog-momma to Kai (6).
After a ridiculously long break, we resumed ttc (me carrying) with frozen donor sperm, home insem day of O (11/20) = bfp! Wishing for a sticky baby!

#22 of 48 Old 12-29-2012, 01:48 PM

JoySeattle, if you're willing to share, I'd also love to hear what you did differently on your BFP cycle. We will be doing a home-IUI Thursday-ish of this week and would love to hear feedback about what has worked for others. We conceived our son on the second try with home IUI but that was over 5 yrs ago and I feel like we've forgotten everything!
#23 of 48 Old 01-01-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyW View Post

JoySeattle, if you're willing to share, I'd also love to hear what you did differently on your BFP cycle. 

I'd love to hear as well!

me (38) + wife (34), one fabulous fur-son.  Newlyweds starting TTC Feb 2013 for our first baby!

#24 of 48 Old 01-10-2013, 01:44 PM

OK, so I did a little experiment this cycle and I figured I'd report about it here since others looking for at-home IUI info may find it interesting. 

This month I actually did the IUI myself -- solo. It was easier than I thought and actually smoother than I expected.

I set up everything within reach and sat on the edge of a really low foot stool. I put a standing cosmetic mirror on the floor and put the speculum in. I used a tiny flashlight in my mouth that when aimed at the mirror lit everything up perfectly. I sucked up sperm into the catheter and carefully moved the tip of the catheter toward the cervical os being careful not to touch it to anything else (vaginal wall, outside of the cervix, etc). The catheter only needed a little wiggle to get it to 2-3" in. It was actually the smoothest IUI I've ever had and I wonder if this "squatting" position is actually better for performing an IUI than lying on one's back. I think maybe the abdominal organs and gravity push down on the uterus and make it flatter. I slowly depressed the syringe plunger and not a single drop flowed back out (also better than most IUIs I've had).

The whole experience was so great than I think I'll do it this way every time. DW is super sqeemish about medical things and feels queezy and light-headed at the sight (sometimes just the thought) of blood or many bodily things.    

I use this source for catheters: http://www.shopmedvet.com/product/tom-cat-catheter-kendall-3-5-french-5-5inch-open-end

#25 of 48 Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 PM

Lindsey, wow! I will add, my DP almost passed out when she insemed me and when I insemed her, it was much easier when she pulled her knees up.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#26 of 48 Old 01-11-2013, 12:19 PM

I also just wanted to add that this SOLO IUI was our BFP!   Keeping my fingers crossed that it really sticks (I'm only at 11DPO) but I guess now we actually know that the method I described above actually works!

#27 of 48 Old 01-11-2013, 09:19 PM

Lindsey - double wow!

me (38) + wife (34), one fabulous fur-son.  Newlyweds starting TTC Feb 2013 for our first baby!

#28 of 48 Old 01-12-2013, 08:01 AM

Lindsey,  You are BADASS!

me (28) married to dp (30) + 2 dog fur-kids!  TTC our first baby!  baby.gif

BFP in 2009: still grieving my loss

4 tries so far (two with frozen, two with KD): all BFN

#29 of 48 Old 04-21-2013, 08:46 AM

I love this thread! DP and I need help.

We are ready to do at-home iui and we have a donor for "fresh". We have instructions on how to insem, but we're missing these puzzle peices:

In "what" does donor "deposit the fresh?" Then, how to transfer to the beaker?

...then, since we would like to wash with the swim-up method, where can we find the medium to wash them?

...at last, can we just siphon off the top of the beaker, and inject?

Basically, I can't find instructions or any resources on how to prepare the fresh at home without buying the centrifuge. What am i missing? How are people doing this?

Thank you!

#30 of 48 Old 04-21-2013, 11:37 AM

Great question about washing -- I've heard is that you should never do iui with unwashed sperm (it won't work because the sperm are still coated in seminal fluid that would normally be scrubbed off on the swim up from the cervix). You can to ici with fresh unwashed sperm at home. You just put the tip of the syringe right against or into the OS.

My doctor recently mentioned to me that she is happy to do the washing process only for lesbian couples who use fresh sperm. She runs a small office so i was shocked that she would offer such a service. She said that she purchased the machine for $200 so it wasn't a huge investment. I believe that the sperm must be spun to separate them from the seminal fluid. If you happen to live in the northeast, this MD is willing to wash sperm with "no questions asked" I believe legally, they are supposed to require that the sperm be frozen for 6mo for the donor to be HIV tested again before insemination but she is willing to do it anyway. As for this $200 machine, I will ask her more about it to see if it might be accessible for private purchase.

Tags
Trying To Conceive , Lgbtq

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page