2nd parent... guardian? *update* GUARDIANSHIP GRANTED!! :) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 06-07-2011, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wehrli - CONGRATS!!! So thrilled for you. Too bad you can't throw it in your Gov's face! (Our sucks too!) How did the process work? Did you simply go before the judge or did you have to go through with signing over your legal rights, etc?  Did you have to go to Madison to do so or was it done in Racine? So thrilled for you guys, and little mister! We have a meeting with our attorney the week of June 20. I am very nervous - it's the south! Ugh!

Me (35). DP to S (39) ; Mommy to DS: J (6), Furball Pupps: L (10) & S (1) dog2.gifand a new little baby boy arriving on/around Dec 2.1sttri.gif

#32 of 34 Old 06-07-2011, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

2ez, i got to maintain all of my maternal rights while DP is co-guardian. i guess the law states that a judge can write up a guardianship any way s/he chooses. so we hired a lawyer from madison, she traveled to racine and we all went before the judge. the guardian ad litem was also there. the judge was really cool, she recognized that we would probably get married and do a second parent adoption if we could. we were in and out of the court room in 25 minutes!

best of luck with the meeting with your attorney! and thanks for your support!

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#33 of 34 Old 10-03-2011, 02:44 PM

I live in Madison and am looking for an attorney.  Who did you use?  I am really frustrated with this state and our LACK of rights.  I know a judge in La Crosse that grants second-parent adoptions even though they are not legal...but if they are contested they probably would not hold up.  I have also heard of parentage, but recent cases have caused them to be illegal as well.  I am really interested to learn about co-guardianship!

#34 of 34 Old 10-03-2011, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

chatnat, Law Center for Kids, Emily Dudak Taylor

good luck!

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page