Queer Conceptions - June 2011 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-16-2011, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The problem with the Instead cup is that it can work against you. Once you place it, if there was any sperm that escaped outside of the cup (or if you insemmed first and then inserted the cup) you have now blocked them from traveling up through the cervix, to the uterus and ultimately to the egg. It only takes one sperm to make it happen, 200 to break through the egg but you want to have every one get to its proper place if you can. Additionally, some people find it difficult to hold the sperm sample in the cup properly without spilling as well.

AFM: sorry I don't post much but it feels weird to be here. I feel in a place that doesn't have it's own chat board (queer with two miscarriages) and finding it hard to find people who understand. This time, we found an embryo at 9 weeks but with no heartbeat. That's more than we had last time. I finally miscarried naturally last week and am working on my hormones trending downwards. We've got some exploratory work to do so it's hard to say when I will be back on the TTC train and whether that's naturally or IVF.

Hope everyone is doing well. I still check in on you and hope for all that you get your BFP soon!

Krista

me (40) DP (47) TTC since April 2010, 5 IUIs & 6 at home w/ fresh
Short luteal phase, septum resection in Sept 2011
Jan 2011 a BFP! Try #11 angel.gif 8w2d (blighted ovum)
April 2011 BFP! Try #12 angel.gif 9w2d (no heartbeat)

Nov 2011 BFP! Try #14 angel.gif 8w0d (twins, no heartbeat)

June 2012 -- Moving onto IVF with PGD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 11:31 AM

i woke up yesterday cramping and bleeding, cramping and bleeding.

sara, please move me to taking a break.

i'm disappearing from the boards for the summer, but hope to be back in the fall.  i hope you all have your bfps by then.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

rainbowvalleymama - I am so, so very sorry. all my blessings to you. we are all thinking of you and here to support you in any way you need.

Our family: mommy and DW mama our 5 yr old DD 'Z' and 2.5 yr old DD 'S' and waiting for (March 2015)

Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 PM

rainbow-So sorry for your loss.Hope your recovery goes well..candle.gif..hug2.gif

Me (29)  in heartbeat.gif with DW (40) 
DD (12) and DS our special needs baby (4) placed 03-01-10
Our furbaby dog2.gif Bella (Yorkie) 

Layla Janae 11/22/11 

ds2(8mos)placed 08-o3-2012
Old 06-16-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgulbransen View Post

AFM: sorry I don't post much but it feels weird to be here. I feel in a place that doesn't have it's own chat board (queer with two miscarriages) and finding it hard to find people who understand. This time, we found an embryo at 9 weeks but with no heartbeat. That's more than we had last time. I finally miscarried naturally last week and am working on my hormones trending downwards. We've got some exploratory work to do so it's hard to say when I will be back on the TTC train and whether that's naturally or IVF.

Hope everyone is doing well. I still check in on you and hope for all that you get your BFP soon!

Krista

I'm sorry you feel like no one understands you greensad.gif And you're probably right, no one does understand what you're going through. Everyone's journey is so unique. I wish you felt more supported! I'm queer and had 2 miscarriages (and 1 chemical) before having DD. I know it's probably different because I *do* have DD but others like you do exist! Also, there are lots of amazing women on these forums who have been through multiple m/c who may not be queer but probably have a ton of understanding and compassion to share! My ddc had a thread for those of us who had been through m/c and I found the woman on there SO comforting because only they understood the fear and anxiety I was going through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowvalleymama View Post

i woke up yesterday cramping and bleeding, cramping and bleeding.

sara, please move me to taking a break.

i'm disappearing from the boards for the summer, but hope to be back in the fall.  i hope you all have your bfps by then.

I'm so, so sorry for you hug2.gif

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
Old 06-16-2011, 05:25 PM

Thanks, Carmen. I know you know the feeling. You and I could start a board together! It's not that I don't think people here on this particular board are understanding. I think we all do our best to understand to the extent that we can. I'm also frustrated (aren't we all). I just got word from the doc today that despite all my hard work, I did not catch placental tissue during the miscarriage so there is nothing to test for a chromosomal report. This puts me back at square one as to figuring out why this is happening to me.

A WORD OF WARNING TO THOSE WHO ARE USING KDs. I know we've talked about this off and on. I just received word from a queer woman on another board I've been on for a long time about the final ruling on a challenge by their sperm donor to have parental rights of their son who was born a few months ago. I've been with her since the beginning of her TTC days and from the start, she had a bad feeling about this guy's intentions but she went with him anyway. She's in a tough conservative state (TX) and the judge actually stated he was ruling in favor of the sperm donor to have 3 hour visits PER DAY because her relationship with her wife was an "abomination to God."

This is an example of the extreme of what can happen, but it does remind all of us using (or considering using) known donors to A) brush up on state law regarding known donors and B) trust your gut. In a time when we get to certain points of desperation, it's tempting to not listen to your heart. She's asked me to spread the word to others so they don't suffer as she has.

Happy inseminating,

Krista

Old 06-17-2011, 02:08 PM

rainbowvalleymama: please know you are in my thoughts hug2.gif

A (36) DP (52), brokenheart.gif over losing DD at 38 weeks in 2011. Our rainbow1284.gifrainbow1284.gifboy/gril twins arrived in April 2012!

Old 06-17-2011, 02:41 PM

Congrats to all of the positives this month!

And rainbowvalleymama - I'm sorry to hear about your loss.  I checked in while on vacation last week and saw that you were pregnant and am checking in this morning... I'm so sorry.  

Krista - I have a friend who had two m/c (7 wks and 10 wks) before carrying her daughter to full term.  It was discovered she has the heart-shaped uterus thingy (can't remember the technical term).  The baby she carried to term happened to dig in in JUST the right place, but the doctor told her if she wanted to get pregnant again, she really should have the surgery.  I'm sure it's a tough decision - I am an advocate for surgery like that now that I've been through what I've been through.  The doctor told me to get that endometrioma removed - he didn't insist on it, but he suggested it - and I didn't.  And I lost a baby because of it.  It's not the same thing as your decision, but I just wish for once I would've been a hypochondriac and insisted on getting it done asap.  Still - the baby that comes to us (and you and your partner) will be the baby you were always supposed to have.  I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  xo

AFU - We had a great appointment with the RE yesterday.   My one little remaining ovary has I think 12 sexy follicles on it, and the doc's pretty sure it didn't perform this well last time.  I really think the endometrioma on my left ovary was causing a ruckus and making my right ovary all shy.  Now the right ovary is the only one that's there, so she's less shy now.  He says it looks perfect.  He dropped my Bravelle dosage and I go back in on Monday and might be ready to trigger for a Wednesday retrieval and a Friday or Sunday transfer.  He originally estimated that I'd only get 3 embryos when all is said and done, but I think he feels a little more optimistic now that he's seeing how my ovary is reacting to the meds.  I'm hoping the growth hormone he has me on will really do its job in improving the egg quality.  It'd be great to get two tries from one cycle, even only having one ovary.  I'm starting to feel bloated, which is a good thing because it's a physical reminder that all of those injections are doing their job!  

I'm still crying occasionally about losing our first pregnancy.  I keep thinking - we'd be 2.5 months away from holding our baby in our arms.  But I know it'll happen for us (all of us!) eventually.  And it was good to have such a great appointment with the RE yesterday.  It helps fuel optimism.  Here's hoping I can add to the good news in a few weeks...

Partner (35) and I (32) have been together since 2004, TTC #1 since 9/09 - 7 failed IUIs with KD

12/17/10: First round IVF w/ WTBK donor results in pos.gif ; 2/13/11 M/C after emergency surgery angel.gif  

Try #9 FET 4/11 - Negative.  Try #10: IVF 6/11 - Negative.  Next up: Try #11 FET 8/11

Old 06-17-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by carmen

Quote:
I've often wondered about cycle monitoring but still insaminating at home with a KD...as far as I know fertility clinics here in BC won't work with you if you're a lesbian/single and using a KD. (unless someone else knows better?) 

I don't see why it should be a problem... According to Health Canada regulations clinics are not allowed to do do inseminations with KD who is not your spouse or current sexual partner unless the sperm is quarantined. This only applies to assisted conception so IUI would be out of the question without 6 month quarantine, but it should have no effect on DYI insemination at home.  The documents is not a riveting read as a whole so you may want to check out E. General Requirements.  http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/compli-conform/info-prod/don/gui_41-eng.php#a5    

In Ontario cycle monitoring is covered by OHIP (our provincial Health Insurance Plan) I'm thinking it is probably covered by BC's MSP as wellll. I had my Day 3 appointment at the clinic today and they were a little confused and initially set up a diagnostic protocol for infertility for me.  We figured it out eventually and I'll be going back for monitoring on Day 11.    infertility iI had my infertility

A (36) DP (52), brokenheart.gif over losing DD at 38 weeks in 2011. Our rainbow1284.gifrainbow1284.gifboy/gril twins arrived in April 2012!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad astra View Post

Originally Posted by carmen

I don't see why it should be a problem... According to Health Canada regulations clinics are not allowed to do do inseminations with KD who is not your spouse or current sexual partner unless the sperm is quarantined. This only applies to assisted conception so IUI would be out of the question without 6 month quarantine, but it should have no effect on DYI insemination at home.  The documents is not a riveting read as a whole so you may want to check out E. General Requirements.  http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/compli-conform/info-prod/don/gui_41-eng.php#a5    

In Ontario cycle monitoring is covered by OHIP (our provincial Health Insurance Plan) I'm thinking it is probably covered by BC's MSP as wellll. I had my Day 3 appointment at the clinic today and they were a little confused and initially set up a diagnostic protocol for infertility for me.  We figured it out eventually and I'll be going back for monitoring on Day 11.    infertility iI had my infertility

Hmmm very interesting! My GP tried to get me a referral to Genesis when we first started trying for DD and they said they wouldn't deal with me...period. I've emailed another fertility center and asked if they offer cycle monitoring alone and if it is covered by MSP. I googled a bit and it does indeed look like the ultrasounds and bloodwork are covered so I'll see what they say. If I don't get pregnant after a few tries I will consider this! Thanks so much!!!

Old 06-18-2011, 04:31 PM

Finally time for a few personals though still not as many as I'd like!

FiveGrandBaby I'm so excited to hear about all those follies!! That sounds wonderful! I *so* hope this is the cycle for you!! I'd be interested to know more about the growth hormone you mentioned too - is that just like Follistim or the typical stimulating hormones or are you on something that's specifically a growth hormone?

Rainbowvalleymama I am SO so so sorry! Are you positive all hope is lost? I know it's a long-shot but I actually know someone who had full "periods" for the first four months of her pregnancy and didn't even know she was pregnant! Either way, I hope things go as well as possible, and that you're able to join us in BFP's and healthy babies ASAP!

Krista thanks for the info on the instead cups. That does make total sense! I'm so sorry to hear of what you've been through, and that you're not feeling totally at home here. What about starting a thread here in the Queer forum for mamas who've miscarried? Or in the pregnancy lost board for queer mamas? I know I'll really miss you and you've contributed a LOT here. And thank you for the advice and info on the KD stuff. Just makes me that much more irate that gay marriage isn't already legal and protected. I know what you mean about being tempted to go forward even if things don't feel right, once you get to a certain point of desperation. I'm SO glad that things exploded enough for us to have closure with the other donor we were trying with. It would have been wonderful to have someone local, but we both feel so much that the donor we're using now is the right person, and worth the short-term hassle for the long term rewards.

Carmen sorry about AF but congrats on the extended LP! If you can't get monitoring easily in BC, I'm not sure where exactly you live, but is there any chance you could come down to Washington? I know Seattle has lots of clinics. I wouldn't think the monitoring part of it would be too difficult to get done, usually it's getting the clinics to actually work with KD that's the challenge.

Qmama sorry for the belated response to your questions, and thanks for the info you provided! We're not doing ultrasound monitoring, sadly our insurance won't cover any of that, plus since we have to travel it wouldn't really be practical. I'm thinking of asking my doctor if she could get an ultrasound covered to check for cysts at least before starting next cycle, if this isn't our lucky cycle. Not sure what cycle day I was on then, but now is CD 15.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, prayers, sympathy and advice! Things have gone pretty great so far. The drive was actually the best I've had yet! Maybe because of so many people sending positive thoughts our way? It can't have hurt that my husband (in case I didn't mention before, I'm bi but married to a man and using KD since we have severe male factor issues) did most of the packing and pre-cooking so I could rest my neck. I couldn't move my neck much most of the trip, but gradually my range of motion increased. I iced it off and on and stuck with the baclofen and vicodin. Turns out I'm a much more cheerful person on drugs rofl. 

We arrived too late for an insem Wednesday. We did our first Thursday around 7. Last night I got my first positive OPK which was a *lot* earlier than I was hoping for! But if oarian pain is any indicator, I think I have a lot of follies. I didn't do the lupron trigger til this morning, so hopefully my actual O will hold off a while, or I'll pop more than one egg and still have good coverage. We skipped Friday since at the beginning of the day I thought I wouldn't get a positive OPK til Saturday or Sunday. Our donor is so sweet and accommodating! He was going to come by around 4, but I told him about the early OPK so he came by early and we were insemming by 1.

So now my neck is still a little stiff, but I've got a pretty good range of movement. Thanks to what Krista said about the Instead cups,  I think they're working well for us since I don't spill any at all. This cycle I tried my idea of inserting the cup first (with leftovers that didn't fit in the syringe), then tipping the lip of the cup back just far enough to slip in the syringe and using that to blow the sample gently over my cervix, then carefully pulling it back out and making sure the cup seals. Shockingly, it's worked great! I had no idea I was that coordinated lol.

TTC 5+ years, Please send us your dust.gif

Old 06-19-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyLullabye View Post

Carmen sorry about AF but congrats on the extended LP! If you can't get monitoring easily in BC, I'm not sure where exactly you live, but is there any chance you could come down to Washington? I know Seattle has lots of clinics. I wouldn't think the monitoring part of it would be too difficult to get done, usually it's getting the clinics to actually work with KD that's the challenge.

I'm in Vancouver. It would be a long drive to Seattle every day and I'm starting back to work July 4th so I don't think that would be feasible. I'm not that worried at this point about monitoring. I figure I'll give myself 3 tries and if I have good timing and nothing happens then I'll look at monitoring. It really sounds like I can get it covered here with my medical plan so that would great!

CD6, nothing too exciting. The cbfm has finally figured out that I don't O early so it's not asking me for test sticks yet. I'd like to O around CD17 this cycle so I can insem the week before I start back at work. Wow, back to work.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:36 PM

We are planning to be in Chicago on Sunday for pride.  Anyone up there want to meet up?

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
Old 06-20-2011, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Hi everyone :) Happy monday.

carmen -  what does back to work look like for you? where is your LO while you are at work? I hope your transition goes smoothly for you all there. Whem my DP went back to work it was a little tough for the first week, but by the second all was into a new rhythum. :)

5GB -  That is great that your ovary is strong and reacting well to the meds!  :) !

AFM - CD13 today. Yesterday my biggest follie was 14, lining 9. Things are developing faster than last month, so that is probably good? - follies growing 1.5-2mm a day.  My estrogen is stronger, earlier.

I'm really amazed at how much sleep affects my cycle. Bad sleep usually makes me O 2 days later than on a good sleeping month (good sleep for the first 2 weeks of the cycle I mean). I've been forcing myself into better sleep habits :)

So I have hope for this cycle :) we will see.

Hope all are well - we've been having beautiful weather here. Lots of sun, not TOO hot :)

Our family: mommy and DW mama our 5 yr old DD 'Z' and 2.5 yr old DD 'S' and waiting for (March 2015)

Old 06-20-2011, 10:51 AM

I heard back from one of the fertility clinics here about whether the u/s and blood work is covered for cycle monitoring..

"Preliminary testing is covered.  For example blood work for FSH and hormonal levels and a basic pelvic ultrasound is covered.

But not cycle monitoring; Cycle monitoring is considered a type of fertility treatment in our books. Cycle monitoring is used to let you know how big your follicles  are growing and how many are growing in a particular month to assist you in determining when it’s best to have intercourse or use IUI."

Seems odd to me. I think I'll check into further down the road if necessary.

omom: Hooray for growing follies! :) My DD was sleeping better last cycle so I think that helped my O move up too. I've been off for 18 months so it's going to be HARD to go back. I'm going to do 1/2 days for the first week and then a 4 day work week until the middle of September. One of my best friends is a school teacher and she's agreed to 'nanny' DD while she's not working this summer - DD loves her and we love her so it's sort of ideal! We had a great family daycare lined up for part time in the fall but we just decided 2 days ago that we want to wait until next year for that so DP will take the rest of the year off when she finishes up whatever show she gets on. That's the plan anyway!

CD7 for me. Boring. Acupuncture tomorrow and I'll stock up on more herbs.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:54 AM

Bunny - The growth hormone is in addition to the Bravelle/Menopur protocol I've been on for each stimulated cycle.  The growth hormone is intended to improve the quality of the eggs - my last IVF, the doc thought he was going to get 20-30 eggs, and he only got 13 decent ones and only 9 fertilized well.  So he put me on this growth hormone with the hopes that my egg quality will improve.  He originally had a thought the endometrioma that was on my left ovary (that eventually caused the ovarian torsion and led to the necessary removal of the left ovary, the severe sickness I endured, and the eventual miscarriage) was sabotaging my egg quality, but I did get pregnant that cycle so he's not sure what problems if any it was causing.  I'm hoping without it there, AND with the growth hormone, the eggs will be much better this time around.  I go today at 1pm to figure out when to trigger.  Might be tonight, for a retrieval on Wednesday!  (Work-wise, this would be perfect, so here's hoping...)

Partner (35) and I (32) have been together since 2004, TTC #1 since 9/09 - 7 failed IUIs with KD

12/17/10: First round IVF w/ WTBK donor results in pos.gif ; 2/13/11 M/C after emergency surgery angel.gif  

Try #9 FET 4/11 - Negative.  Try #10: IVF 6/11 - Negative.  Next up: Try #11 FET 8/11

Old 06-20-2011, 11:17 AM

Good Monday to everyone!  I feel as if I have missed so much!!

PrettyIsa:  I am so sorry about the BFN.  You have so much to look forward to with your pending IVF cycle! I am so excited for you! 

1m1m:  Sounds like things are looking great! Get all the sleep you can! 

MidWifeSteph:  Way to ignore the TWW!! Don’t let it take control over you! Glad to hear it is going well.

Krista:  Thank you for the warning on KDs.  I am sorry you are having trouble finding the support community that fits.  I know that, even if some of us don’t share the same experience, we care about you a great deal and want you to find peace and success in your journey.  Hopefully, you will still feel comfortable dropping in occasionally.

Rainbowaalleymama:  I am very sorry to hear your news.  I am hoping that the break brings comfort.

FiveGrand:  I am thrilled to hear how hard that one little ovary is working!  You all are just a few days ahead of us in your IVF journey!  Fingers and toes crossed that this is your cycle!

Bunny:  KMFX for you!!

AFU:  DW has been awfully brave enduring 3 shots a day over the course of the last week!  We went to the RE on Saturday and things are still looking good for retrieval this Friday. We will confirm tomorrow AM.  Her body has responded very well to the stims so we are hopeful for that piece of the process. Tomorrow, I will also go in to check my lining.  My cycle was not terribly responsive to attempts to manipulate it for timing sake so I am a little nervous about how far along I will be in creating a nice, welcoming home for the transfer.  Worst case scenario, we may have to freeze the embies for a few days but I hope we won’t have to go there and transfer can be between the 27th and 29th.  In the meantime, we are having a grand old time.  With both of us on so many hormones, it seems that someone is always crying or otherwise ruffled about something.  Just praying we can make it through these next few days without major incident. 

Mad about DP with dog2.gif dog2.gifcanine children.

Proud auntie to 8 nieces and nephews.

TTC #1 since October 2010. 

Old 06-20-2011, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hi everyone! No time for personals, but I'll read up on what I missed and come back later!

Sorry for the disappearance--I was in a wedding in Arizona and there was no internet. AF started on Thursday, and today I went in for my CD5 ultrasound and bloodwork. I'm expecting to get a call from the nurse any minute to tell me to start birth control pills. I'm looking forward to it, actually. Between the spooge pills and AF and the Estrace I feel like there has only been one day in each of the last three months that DP and I could even think about having sex, so three weeks of BCP sounds great! Sara, Could you move me to Working on IVF, please?

She's here!
And so are the boys!
Old 06-20-2011, 09:45 PM

Hi Everyone,

Hope you all survived Monday.  And for those of you who find Father's Day complicated/difficult, like myself, I hope it wasn't too bad!

Krista: So sorry to hear you aren't finding the support you need.  I know for me, as the non-gestational partner who can't even try to get pregnant ever, queer, TTC for 26 months, one miscarriage, crazy insurance/$ issues, wanting to adopt but running into barriers, no children yet but spend all day everyday with other people's babies, it feels no one else could possibly relate to my exact situation.  But what we do all have is a lot of really challenging, heartbreaking stories and love to go around.  This forum isn't for everyone, and though I hope you can find support here, more importantly I hope you can find the support that works best for you, wherever that is. 

And thanks for the reminder about KDs.  We just switched from KD to AD (is that the right accronym?) because we had to for insurance, not by choice.  It's helpful sometimes to think about the advantages of not using a KD, even though it is my brother and I would have loved the bio connection.  (but there are more important things!)

rainbowvalleymama: So so, sorry.  Words cannot express.  Hope the summer brings some peace and healing.

1m1m: Yay for hope!! Sounds like good news, keep us posted.

FiveGrand: Go Right Ovary!!  Fingers crossed...  

And sorry about your loss.  We just had the one year mark from losing our baby.  It is still so hard, every baby I see I compare in age to what ours "should" be.  I thought by now we'd be pregnant again, but the fight goes on. 

BunnyLullabye: Sounds like a complicated insemination, but so glad that things worked out!  Here's hoping...

AFM: Negative blood test on Saturday.  Took the results harder than I expected.  Shouldn't I be used to this yet?  But I guess after taking three months off and moving to a new RE and IUI and new donor, I had hoped for a different outcome somehow.  Taking this month off to prep for IVF, which I thought we already did, having a bit of frustration with the RE today, we were supposed to start IVF this month.  But my DW is excited to indulge in things like refined sugar, tuna fish, beer, and hot tubs for our vacation next week so as long as she can find peace with the month off, I'm happy to enjoy it as well.  We also finished our homestudy interviews for adoption, so now we wait for them to write the report.  Meanwhile we fantasize that both routes will work and we'll end up with two babies at the same time.  :)

Old 06-21-2011, 10:24 AM

Alphahen I hope you and your wife are able to synch cycles! I found the stim shots to be the easiest since they're just subcutaneous. Will you be on progesterone shots? Those are a little more annoying but to me still not really that bad. I always iced, but this cycle and for my intra-muscular B shots I haven't been icing, and I've actually found it hurts less that way. The key is to let the alcohol dry enough so it doesn't sting.

FiveGrand it's great to hear about your ovary responding so well! My first IVF I had 31 follies and they got 30 eggs, 20 were mature. Then the second IVF I had even more follies (they didn't tell me the exact number but I think over 35) but only 14 were mature! Protocol was identical, so I guess that just happens sometimes. It sounds like you've found a protocol that works for you. I hope the egg retrieval goes well and that this is the magic cycle for you! I'd love to know the name of the growth hormone you're on. It sounds really interesting!

Mumquest So sorry to hear about your BFN. I hope you and your partner have fun on vacation! I can relate to it being fun to look forward to indulging in a few things while taking a break. Congrats on your home study completion!! We had a failed adoption a couple years ago so we've started that process but not completed it yet. I'm looking forward to re-starting it soon. Are you working with an agency or trying for a private adoption? I've run into issues with most agencies requiring that you be 100% done TTC, and if you do get pregnant putting your profile on hold til the baby is something like 15 months old. It might be easier with private adoption, though I think legally there has to be a new homestudy done every time a new child enters the home (birth, adoption etc). I know there are lots of studies on the pros and cons of "artificial twinning" but I agree, I would LOVE to have two (or more) babies at the same time, whether by birth or adoption or some combo. 

Could you all take a look at my chart and help me figure out WTH is going on?  http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2f89e0 My first positive OPK was Friday night (Friday mid-morning was negative) I felt tremendous pain (O pain I thought) Friday night/Saturday morning. I was hoping not to ovulate quite that early, I didn't want to O quite that early so I waited to trigger til Saturday morning.   Saturday night I felt tingling in my right ovary, which I've never felt before. So what's going on with my chart? Have I not O'd yet, or could this be an implantation dip already or is my chart just wonky?? The missing Saturday temp was 98.68 but I spaced taking til after I took a shower, so I highly doubt it was accurate. 

TTC 5+ years, Please send us your dust.gif

Old 06-21-2011, 05:37 PM

salut les filles (hi, gals!) 

i've been both away and around, reading but not finding a voice for speaking.   i'm so far behind with personals that i don't even know where to begin...forgive me.

i do, however, want to say a few words to krista.  i know you have had a really, really shitty time of it these last six months, and that with everything that's happened despair must be hanging pretty heavy on you these days.   i wish i had the magic potion that would make it all work out.....the genetic alchemy that would bring you your baby.   i don't really know you, and neither of us would recognize the other on the street, but somehow, from your anonymous little corner of cyberspace, you have made a huge contribution to my life.  on more than one occassion, you've given me advice and information, much needed guidance on this often bewildering path that is ttc.  even in the midst of your own pain, you've found the generosity of spirit to share your knowledge....   and i know i'm not the only woman here whom you've helped.    know that we are *all* rooting for you.   (and please accept a massive and sincere THANK YOU for all you have done for me.)

as for everyone else,  i'm wishing all of you that little bundle of love and personality and life that you're working so hard to create. 

and...afm...  i went through a few rough weeks of thinking, "this will never happen for me.  i'm doomed to a life without children"  (which would be my own version of hell, really) and feeling very very depressed.    but then i decided i needed to change my thinking, and i started meditating some and being more conscious of both my thoughts and actions.  it's weird, because the negativity vanished, and right afterwards, my gyn.  finally started listening to my questions and addressing my concerns (and i very much have krista and her advice to thank for this).  i also have started going for acupuncture and am on progesterone during my luteal phase.  the gyn also prescribed me a three-month course of clomid and u/s which i may or may not start in august.  we're going to be in italy for three weeks in july, so there will be no insems next month. 

at the moment, i'm on day 6 of the tww.  i started charting this month and was able to confirm that i'm actually ovulating! (i wasn't 100% sure)  DP's first insem was today and we'll be repeating tomorrow and thursday as well.  i don't expect a BFP this month, but i definitely feel more optimistic about getting one in the future.    dust.gif

Ex-pat gal (40y.o.) in France and her Froggy wife (42y.o.).  Expecting a little (brussel) "sprout"  in Dec 2012 after a year of at-home inseminations and three medicated IUIs in Belgium.  

Old 06-21-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyLullabye View Post

Could you all take a look at my chart and help me figure out WTH is going on?  http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2f89e0 My first positive OPK was Friday night (Friday mid-morning was negative) I felt tremendous pain (O pain I thought) Friday night/Saturday morning. I was hoping not to ovulate quite that early, I didn't want to O quite that early so I waited to trigger til Saturday morning.   Saturday night I felt tingling in my right ovary, which I've never felt before. So what's going on with my chart? Have I not O'd yet, or could this be an implantation dip already or is my chart just wonky?? The missing Saturday temp was 98.68 but I spaced taking til after I took a shower, so I highly doubt it was accurate. 

Hmmm. Your signs of O on the chart (cm, opk and ferning) don't seem to match up with you ovulating on CD14. I guess it could be a couple of things....you may have O'd today or will tomorrow (with the peak ferning today and the ewcm going away). Are you sure you got positive opks? It's hard to say 100% though.....I think it will be more clear with the next couple of temps. Can you keep insem'ing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosreves View Post

salut les filles (hi, gals!) 

i've been both away and around, reading but not finding a voice for speaking.   i'm so far behind with personals that i don't even know where to begin...forgive me.

i do, however, want to say a few words to krista.  i know you have had a really, really shitty time of it these last six months, and that with everything that's happened despair must be hanging pretty heavy on you these days.   i wish i had the magic potion that would make it all work out.....the genetic alchemy that would bring you your baby.   i don't really know you, and neither of us would recognize the other on the street, but somehow, from your anonymous little corner of cyberspace, you have made a huge contribution to my life.  on more than one occassion, you've given me advice and information, much needed guidance on this often bewildering path that is ttc.  even in the midst of your own pain, you've found the generosity of spirit to share your knowledge....   and i know i'm not the only woman here whom you've helped.    know that we are *all* rooting for you.   (and please accept a massive and sincere THANK YOU for all you have done for me.)

as for everyone else,  i'm wishing all of you that little bundle of love and personality and life that you're working so hard to create. 

and...afm...  i went through a few rough weeks of thinking, "this will never happen for me.  i'm doomed to a life without children"  (which would be my own version of hell, really) and feeling very very depressed.    but then i decided i needed to change my thinking, and i started meditating some and being more conscious of both my thoughts and actions.  it's weird, because the negativity vanished, and right afterwards, my gyn.  finally started listening to my questions and addressing my concerns (and i very much have krista and her advice to thank for this).  i also have started going for acupuncture and am on progesterone during my luteal phase.  the gyn also prescribed me a three-month course of clomid and u/s which i may or may not start in august.  we're going to be in italy for three weeks in july, so there will be no insems next month. 

at the moment, i'm on day 6 of the tww.  i started charting this month and was able to confirm that i'm actually ovulating! (i wasn't 100% sure)  DP's first insem was today and we'll be repeating tomorrow and thursday as well.  i don't expect a BFP this month, but i definitely feel more optimistic about getting one in the future.    dust.gif

Oops, forgot to add my comments to your post....what a lovely post :)

Old 06-22-2011, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Mumquest—I’m so sorry about the BFN. I actually think it gets harder each time rather than easier, for whatever reason. I think working on your family from both directions sounds like an awesome approach!

Bunny—I wish I were better at chart-reading. I have no idea what’s going on! Hopefully someone else can help!

NosReves—FX!! Good for you in finding some peace with this process, and I’m so happy that your gyn finally started being helpful! I hope this TWW ends with good news so you won’t even need the clomid in August!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:06 AM

I have been really busy and off island the past couple of weeks without internet so I am very behind.

First of all, I am so very sorry Rainbow!! greensad.gif

AF should arrive tomorrow. I got a BFN yesterday and feel it coming on....gloomy.gif We will probably take next month off and try again in August. I will be checking in but probably won't be writing much. Good luck to all!

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:05 AM

Good morning, everyone.

PrettyIsa:  Way to see the situation as half full.  The BCP pills are truly a nice break before all the injecting and hormonal craziness begins wild.gif.   Hope you can enjoy every minute of it.

Mumquest:  I am so very sorry the news has been so rough.  As much as I would like to think we learn to live with the disappointment, it does not seem to ever get easier.  Smart women like you just get through it by investing ourselves in next steps - like IVF and adoption prep!  Two babies at once would be wonderful!  We are secretly hoping for the same ourselves.

Bunny:  I wish I was a better chart reader.  I relied way to heavily on our RE for that greensad.gif

NosReves: Great to hear from you again!  And a big thanks for honoring Krista and the huge support she has been to so many of us.  I am thrilled to hear that you are finally getting the medical support you need and deserve!  Even better that you have the meditation and acupuncture to tend to the spirit.  You seem to be at peace with the journey and that is a wonderful place to be.  FX for you!

Lisedea: I am so sorry to hear about the BFN.  Hoping your break brings peace, good health, and strength for the next try.

AFU:  Last U/S for me yesterday and DW today.  My body finally caught up.  My lining was at 7.5 with a few days still to go on Estrace so I am within good range.  So my lining will be ready for the transfer with no need to freeze while I catch up!!  DW u/s this AM revealed roughly seven large follies. The largest was 24 with another 3-4 in the 20s and a couple of more in the high teens.  I will be administering the trigger shot this evening and we will go in for the retrieval on Friday morning.  We were a little worried about the lower number of follies but the RN assured us that smaller numbers often mean higher quality so we are hoping that is what it means for us.   It is all getting so close.  I am beginning to feel a lot of anxiety.  The retrieval is a big concern because DW does not deal well with pain.  Then there is a whole weekend of worrying about how the little guys are growing of the weekend.  So much is riding on the next few days.  For any of your who are willing, we could really use any good thoughts, positive energy and/or prayers to the higher power of your choosing. 

Lots of  grouphug.gif  and  dust.gif  to everyone.

-jenn

Mad about DP with dog2.gif dog2.gifcanine children.

Proud auntie to 8 nieces and nephews.

TTC #1 since October 2010. 

Old 06-22-2011, 02:00 PM

prettyisa -- thanks for the good wishes!  i hope the all the IVF prep goes well and that you get to enjoy the time off all the all the other meds.  btw...what are "spooge pills"??? inquiring minds want to know!

lisedea -- so sorry to hear about nasty old AF.  a month off might be exactly what you need given how stressful this whole ttc thing can be.  i'll be doing the same thing in july, so we'll both be starting up again in august.  here's wishing you lots of laughter and joy during your break. 

alphahen -- awww, thanks for the warm welcome back.  it's exciting that your IVF is moving forward.  i have a good friend (which we all know is lesbianese for "ex") who was in a similar situation to you and your DW.  her wife has no ovaries, so they figured she would never be able to carry.  my friend tried for years to get preg via ICI and IUI and then finally IVF, and she was down to her last attempt when the RE suggested that her wife also try (her uterus is apparently fine.)  they split the remaining embryos...half in my friend, half in her wife.  and guess what...they both got preg.  now they have an adorable son and daughter who are two weeks appart in age.  strange how things work out.  i have my fingers crossed for the retrieval and all that follows.  sending you MEGA SUPER positive vibes from this side of the pond! dust.gif

Ex-pat gal (40y.o.) in France and her Froggy wife (42y.o.).  Expecting a little (brussel) "sprout"  in Dec 2012 after a year of at-home inseminations and three medicated IUIs in Belgium.  

Old 06-22-2011, 02:39 PM

Nosreves: thank you so much for the kind words and understanding. Everyone here is very understanding and encouraging and I truly appreciate it. I'm just in a place where I feel so alone, even amongst the good friends who have been through the process. I know it won't last forever, but I have to name it. I appreciate being able to help others. I feel if anything, this journey is one I was meant to take because I was meant to help others along the way. And they in return, were meant to help me.

Spooge pills are pills up the va jay jay that leak out. (i.e. progesterone) They ruin underwear and I swear, between my miscarriages and spooge pills, I have ruined a whole factory's worth of panties. I think someone should have a "ruined your panties by an unfortunate reproductive issue" discount. Panties are so expensive too! Another thing to add to the growing list of "It's Just Wrong!"

AFM: the newest struggle, DP and I went to an adoption workshop last night (a couple of lesbians who have three kids, just got a 12 day old baby girl from foster care). It was a wonderful story and was very inspirational and hopeful but it was just plain too soon for me. There was a pregnant lady there (I couldn't even figure out why, she and her partner are having twins in 6 weeks and they didn't give an introduction that noted they were interested in adopting) plus the little baby. It almost took me over the edge. Afterwards, I just expressed not-positive feelings about it and DP took it as an insult. She thought she had found the answer to me finding a baby and I was rejecting it. Of course, this was beyond her capability of expression and communication skills, so it turned into a big fight.One from which I am still smarting today. But I have to stand my ground. It's just too soon and I'm not ready to go there yet. Why doesn't she understand that??

Krista

Old 06-22-2011, 02:56 PM

SmilingSara is out if town until Monday. Please bold any updates and they will be changed Monday.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
Old 06-22-2011, 03:38 PM

Krista - I'm not sure where your partner stands in the baby-making process - some women are perfectly content to never carry a baby, and they are happy with adoption. Some women prefer to carry a baby, but are also open to adoption.  Since you are the one trying to get pregnant, it might be easier for HER to move on to adoption.  I totally understand how you feel.  We had a possible foster-to-adopt situation in February, before I miscarried.  It was kind a long shot for us to get the baby, but I was feeling so sick from being pregnant, and we were still fostering my then-4 month old niece, and I told DP I just couldn't do it.  I even thought that there was a chance the universe would screw me over and make me miscarry after I said no to this possible foster situation, but I really was just not emotionally ready to foster/adopt.  That decision is different for everyone.  FYI - even when I miscarried, I knew it was the right decision to say no to that baby.  I don't want to adopt a baby when I'm on the fence about it - I want to be excited and ready.  And hopefully your partner will eventually understand that you will arrive at that decision at your own pace.

Alphahen - Good to hear your body caught on that there's some babymaking going on!  Good luck with all of that.  I hate to tell you this, but the transfer (for me) is the worst part.  So your DP has nothing to worry about - the retrieval is a piece of cake.  She'll feel a little bloated afterward but they'll knock her out for it (right?) so she'll be in la-la land while it's happening.  Meanwhile, the transfer kind of sucks - I mean, for me, the speculum part was the hard part, and then after that I was just mildly uncomfortable.  The first time we did, it was really awful for me - but the second time (when we transferred frozen), it wasn't nearly as bad - but I did pop two vicodin beforehand (on my doctor's approval).  My advice is to really try to relax - the transfer is uncomfortable but the more your body is relaxed, the easier it will be.  

For those of you wondering what extra hormone I was on - it's called Omnitrope - it's human growth hormone, given to little kids with growth issues and also ladies trying to get preggers through IVF.

AFU - We had the retrieval today.  I feel so much better than I did the last time he did the retrieval.  Last time, I had two working ovaries, and he only got 13 eggs.  This time, I have ONE working ovary... and he got 13 eggs!  I can't believe it.  I'll get the fertilization report tomorrow but as I mentioned, he was very pleased with how the follicles looked, so hopefully most of them are good to go.  Last time, after the retrieval, I was SO bloated - I remember hobbling around and just feeling really uncomfortable, forced to wear sweats all day.  This time, I feel mildly bloated on my right side (where my one ovary is) and am a little sleepy but other than that, I really feel great.  I was feeling bloated before the retrieval and kind of feel the same now.  Transfer scheduled for Saturday morning.  Anxious, scared, hopeful... really nervous about hearing the fertilization report.  Last time, 9 fertilized and were growing well but we ultimately only ended up with 5 total.  Hoping that extra hormone helps improve that.  I'll keep all of you in my thoughts and hope you'll do the same for us. xo

Old 06-22-2011, 10:53 PM

Alphahen- I am definitely hoping and wishing good things for you and your DP for this cycle! I am so glad your body caught up just in time. Many happy healthy sticky bean toughts going your way!!

5grand- I'm sending positive thoughts your way too!

I hope IVF works for both of you ladies this time around!!!!

thumb.gif

rainbow1284.gifCrystal (24) DP to Christina (27) together since 7/23/08rainbow1284.gif

Baby Cohen was born 7 weeks early on 12/12/11

User Tag List