Virginia Queer Families- I need advice! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-07-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey all, my DP and I just moved home to Richmond VA after being in Boston for about 4 years. We were ttc up there for about 8 months with ID release frozen sperm via IUI. I am currently taking a break from ttc and we are considering switching to a known donor. Is there anybody out there who has conceived with a known donor in VA? If so, did you do anything other than a typical known donor legal release? I know that in Massachusetts the donor has to go to court after the baby is born to explicitly give up his rights for the non-bio parent to adopt, is that something that is done in VA even though there is no second parent adoption? Does anyone have a good attorney to recommend?

Regarding adoption, I have gotten some very mixed messages from people, including a lawyer I talked to. I know that the VA adoption laws don't say anything about sexual orientation but prohibit adoption by unmarried couples. Does anyone know of a successful adoption by a "single" individual who still is partnered? 

Is anybody living in Richmond and want to chat? 

Can anyone recommend a good primary care doctor in Richmond that is LGBT friendly/vegan friendly?

Thanks y'all!

Me 28, DW 32 partners.gif Married since 2008. Mom to 2 kitties and a dog. Expecting #1 July 2012.
#2 of 3 Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 AM

Hi GoVegan! We seem to be living oddly parallel lives!  I live in Richmond now and I also lived in Boston or almost 10 years (including school).  My wife and I have been TTC since October 2010 with frozen sperm/IUI.  As luck would have it, we just had an initial consultation two weeks ago with a lawyer we really love who is Richmond-based and specializes in adoption and fertility issues.  It is true that there is no second-parent adoption in VA but we were encouraged, after meeting with her, by the options we did have available to us.  It isn't MA, of course, but there are options. So I would really encourage you to speak with her.  Her name is Colleen Quinn (http://www.quinnlawcenters.com/law-centers/adoption-and-surrogacy).  You can message me and I will be happy to provide more detail there. 

On the Primary Care front, we use the VCU Institute for Women's Health-Women's Health Center at Stoney Point. The practice is completely female (Docs, nurses, etc.) and no one has ever batted an eye about either of us being gay.  My doc is Ruma Adams but I have had good experiences with all the docs I have seen there.  Their website is:  http://www.intmed.vcu.edu/home/welcome/womenshealth.html .  Sorry I can't speak to the vegan-friendly question. 

Like I said, I would be happy to chat!  I have been on this Board for a few months and have yet to find another Richmond dweller. We have managed to find our bliss here (mostly because both sides of our family live here) but it is a unique place to try to become a LGBT parent. It often feels like this lovely state is about 20 years behind other parts of the world.  Anyway, happy to share what we have learned along the way!   Feel free to PM me!!

Mad about DP with dog2.gif dog2.gifcanine children.

Proud auntie to 8 nieces and nephews.

TTC #1 since October 2010. 

#3 of 3 Old 06-10-2011, 06:34 PM

I conceived with a known donor in Richmond, but moved to Illinois before the birth.  The place I conceived at required us to sign a "declaration of sexual intimacy" before I could use the sperm.  It was a cover-your-ass release related to STDs, as far as I can tell, and I don't think the endocrinologist cared a bit, actually - it was the lab that cleaned the sperm that required it.   I know that in Iowa the same release is required by most places.   As far as adoption issues are concerned in Virginia, I can't help there.  I'm really glad we had second-parent adoption (which did require a revocation by the donor) in Illinois!  

Anne caffix.gif, mama to Theo (Dec 2009), partner to treehugger.gif Laura. intactlact.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page