Chicago Pride-Fest Meetup - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2011, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone would want to meet up on Saturday, June 25 to go to PrideFest in Boystown? I think it'll be more low-key than the actual parade on Sunday, so we'll be able to talk and get to know each other in real life.

DP and I are planning to get there at about 1:30, and we'd love to meet up with anyone in the area! I was thinking that a good meeting place might be at the Corus Bank parking lot (it's behind the Marshalls and all that mess) at the southwest corner of Halsted and Belmont.

Let me know if you're interested--I think it'd be a lot of fun to explore the festival and get to know each other in real life!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This could be fun. Any idea how kid friendly it is? We have a very active 3 year old.

Partner to Jen, Mommy to Ellis, 2-2008. jammin.gif

treehugger.giffamilybed1.gif

I blog: http://www.dancepeanut.blogspot.com

Old 06-09-2011, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! A taker! smile.gif

I think it's about as kid-friendly as any of the other street-fests. I'd say bring him and if it's too much you can always bail and find a quiet side-street for a little bit. There's music and street-vendors and whatnot.

Come on, now, the rest of you. I know you're out there.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:28 PM

We're in!!!

Me (29)  in heartbeat.gif with DW (40) 
DD (12) and DS our special needs baby (4) placed 03-01-10
Our furbaby dog2.gif Bella (Yorkie) 

Layla Janae 11/22/11 

ds2(8mos)placed 08-o3-2012
Old 06-09-2011, 08:53 PM

Hey Isa...I think we are in. I've lived in Chicago and around Chicago and I have never been able to make Pridefest in Chicago.

yeah!!!!

Lela (39) & Irene (54) TCC  #1 stillheart.gif ! Mom to furbabies Bruzier (Chorkie), Diesel (Min-Pin), and Giovanni (Chihuahua).dog2.gif

Multiple ICI's, and IUI's...2009-2011....BFN's

1st IVF August 2011....BFN

1st FET March 2012....BFN

2nd IVF July/August 2012....

Old 06-09-2011, 10:58 PM

We're in, too!  DD will be at camp, but DP and I will come.  If it is crazy hot, I might not make it for long, but I'd really love to meet you all (and to see you and your DP again, Isa). 

Looking forward to it!

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We might be up for it... we are planning on being in Chicago then. :) I'll ask the wifey.

Mama to two, and second-time surrogate. Expecting May 2015.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:37 PM

do I get to come, too!!!?  I'm single and only in the reconnaissance phase of parenting.  I'll have to dodge out about 3 because my 8 and 10 year old roommates are performing at the metro for the finale to their girls rock camp.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:10 AM

This sounds like lots of fun.  We won't make town til later that night but I hope y'all have a great time.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
Old 06-11-2011, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Jenn--of course come! Hell, I hung out on this board for MONTHS before we started trying. The more the merrier!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
Old 06-12-2011, 04:16 PM

This sounds like fun!!  I just (as in literally just this moment) joined the community but my wife and I met Isa this weekend IRL.  I'm due Aug 7th so if it gets too much we might not be able to hang for too long but we would love to meet some cool people. 

Old 06-13-2011, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Rayne! Nice to see you on the internets! (well, these parts of the internets...) Hop on in over at Queer and Pregnant, too, if you're so inclined--they're really nice over there!

Also, I'm glad it looks like we'll have a whole little group! smile.gif

She's here!
And so are the boys!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 AM

ugh... I'm so sad we have to miss out! we have a wedding to attend so it's a no go for us. hopefully the next meet up will work out better for us. innocent.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
Old 06-13-2011, 07:13 AM

We'll be there :)

Kara (31) in luxlove.gif with DW Nicki (28) + dog2.gifOllie & Lola. TTC #1 - September, October, November 2011 & May 2012 - bfn

Old 06-13-2011, 01:33 PM

MrsPP - Yay!  I think I read your blog for a little bit. I'm totally excited to get to meet some folks and enjoy pride fest!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:39 AM

Is anyone going to the parade the next day?! We are getting into chicago saturday evening sometime and will be watching the Parade Sunday. Anyone wanna get together and watch with us?!

DP to Sara, two crazy kids running around, lil dude born 11-1-11babyf.gif and the new guy is home !! babyboy.gif  (5/2/12)

Old 06-14-2011, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Okay, we're in. :)

Mama to two, and second-time surrogate. Expecting May 2015.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:56 PM

my roommates' concert just got moved to sunday afternoon instead, so I'll be able to hang around at pride fest longer, yay!

smiling sara - i might go to the parade.  i usually hang out with a girlfriend and whatever friends are around, but i don't have one of those this year and a lot of friends are in that tricky post break-up gray area, especially for big group things.  i think i could have fun with the right people.

how come we didn't get a group of people together for midsommer fest!?  there were so many families there and lots of music.  next year, i'll try to initiate a gathering.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

I PMed people--if anyone else wants to meet us, we'd love to see you there!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:38 PM

Hello everyone...it was great to meet you all IRL! We had a blast...eventhough we got lost at first and I was a bit flustered when we finally did meet up with you all. I wish that we lived closer and we could meet up with you all more often and get to know you all better. Hope that the rest of the PrideFest was good and that you didn't get rained on.

Gelly

aka~Lela and (Irene)

Lela (39) & Irene (54) TCC  #1 stillheart.gif ! Mom to furbabies Bruzier (Chorkie), Diesel (Min-Pin), and Giovanni (Chihuahua).dog2.gif

Multiple ICI's, and IUI's...2009-2011....BFN's

1st IVF August 2011....BFN

1st FET March 2012....BFN

2nd IVF July/August 2012....

Old 06-26-2011, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

No rain--we mostly walked around trying to win free things, which was fun (especially since Osha and Ari are such good spinners!). It was great to meet you all, too! DP and I kept talking today about how funny it is to meet total strangers from the internet and have them feel like friends in such a short period of time. Hopefully we'll be able to do more of these get-togethers--especially once the babies start coming and we need excuses to take them to parks! smile.gif

She's here!
And so are the boys!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:28 PM

Isa, I second that!  It was so nice to meet everyone and feel so included in such an awesome group of people.  No one felt like a stranger by the time we made it the 4 blocks to the entrance.  I pooped out on going to the parade today but I had enough fun at the fest yesterday to constitute my Pride '11 experience.  I needed to save a little energy for my roommates Girls Rock show at the Metro.  (All the kids were fantastic and adorable.)  I'd love to keep up with everyone and I'm thinking of starting a blog for this journey of mine.  Title suggestions?  Lela & Irene, I wish you guys could have stuck around in the city and gone to the parade the next day!  It felt like such a short visit for such a long drive.  Isa, I'm okay with pictures being posted on here of me.  Okay, I think that's everything...

Old 06-27-2011, 05:59 PM

Thanks again, Isa, for organizing the Pride Fest meetup.  DP and I had a great time.  It felt really good to celebrate Pride with you all and to translate a bit of this fantastic online community into real life.  I *definitely* want to do more get-togethers.  Maybe some folks could come out to our place in Geneva for a late summer BBQ once our little one makes her entrance and we all settle in a bit.  Hopefully by then several of you will be cooking up little playmates for her. wink1.gif 

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:11 AM

Amanda, that sounds like good fun!

We had a blast meeting everyone!! I'm so glad we were able to make it in town for the meet up. Osha kept talking about his winning three t-shirts in a row and ari wore the beads she got all day sunday and monday! Thanks isa for setting it up and helping to get us to meet up with you gals too! You all should move closer, so we can hang out more! 

DP to Sara, two crazy kids running around, lil dude born 11-1-11babyf.gif and the new guy is home !! babyboy.gif  (5/2/12)

Old 06-30-2011, 06:46 PM

Just wanted to thank you all for a really fun time at Pride Fest!  It was so nice to meet you all and I hope to figure this message board thing out and get to know you all a little better on here! 

Old 07-14-2011, 02:27 PM

Bummed I just saw this thread now!  I just moved to Chicago in May and we were at Pride Sat night and Sun for the parade. 

Mom to ds 10/12 and dd 2/05 ribbonrainbow.gif

Blogging about living with xeroderma pigmentosum at www.pacificnights.org/ and about life in general at http://livingavibrantlife.blogspot.com/
Old 07-17-2011, 09:17 PM

DTmama1: No worries--we Chicago area folks will get together again before too long.  It would be great to meet you!  Where did you move from?

Old 07-17-2011, 09:39 PM

A little update for all of you:

I'm moving to Denver August 14th to study holistic nutrition!  I was thinking about doing that in a few years, after I've had a kid, but there is nothing holding me to Chicago, so I'm going now.  That obviously means that ttc is on hold until I get settled, possibly until next summer.  I've also found a KD and we just went over a legal agreement tonight.  We will do an at home in 2 weeks but the chances of getting pregnant on the first try (not counting the 2 tries with a different KD this last winter) are so slim that I'm not even considering that it will work (reverse psychology...).  After I move we will work with a fertility clinic in Chicago to process, store and ship to me in Denver.  Colorado law seems to be a little easier on the relinquishing of paternal rights, so I'm hoping our donor agreement will be enough and if it's not then I will work to have KD officially relinquish through the court.

Anyway, I will try to keep in touch on here and since I won't probably see any of you in person again any time soon, I wish you all the best of luck!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:00 AM

Wow, Jen, congratulations on the move!  It is exciting that you are taking such a big life step and also that you have a KD!  I've worked with KDs long-distance through banks twice, now (only once successfully) and know that doing so can be really slow.  So having a year to get it all worked out and ready to go should be perfect timing.  Best of luck to you!

Old 07-18-2011, 12:27 PM

I moved from NW Indiana. Not far at all distance wise, but definitely a whole new way of living.  I am loving it!

Mom to ds 10/12 and dd 2/05 ribbonrainbow.gif

Blogging about living with xeroderma pigmentosum at www.pacificnights.org/ and about life in general at http://livingavibrantlife.blogspot.com/

User Tag List