Waiting 3+ mos to ttc - (wanna start another group thread?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 75 Old 06-10-2011, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anybody out there thinking of ttc sometime soon, but not just yet?  We've just started OPKs and BBTs looking at a January ttc date for Esther's younger sister or brother!  I'll be carrying this time, we hope, and H keeps telling me that she wants twin boys! Yikes! thumbsup.gif  

I don't think I'm quite ready for the tww crowd over on queer conceptions, but I'm ready to be something a bit more invested!

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 75 Old 06-10-2011, 07:01 PM

We are in a funny waiting period too - probably want to have #2, but have not decided how, yet. We're sort of in limbo - maybe more so than you are!  

Anne caffix.gif, mama to Theo (Dec 2009), partner to treehugger.gif Laura. intactlact.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif

#3 of 75 Old 06-11-2011, 12:33 PM

We're in a similar position.  We're waiting until spring to TTC baby #2.  There is only one vial of DS's donor available to us, so we want to wait until:

1. DS is weaned (I'm going to start working on that in August, and plan to be done by December)

2. We've saved up enough money to try a round of IVF (provided our insurance will cover at least some of the meds - if they don't, I'll probably use clomid)

It feels bizarre to be going from DS's conception (unmedicated IUI, worked first time we tried) to something as intense as IVF, but we really do want to use the same donor.

The incredibly true adventures of two girls in love. Also starring DS babyf.gif12/09 and dog2.gif!

#4 of 75 Old 06-11-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, we're waiting until I get five months into a year-long internship, hoping for first time luck and a baby due just after I complete my doctorate (put it on hold for a year to be home with Esther). It will mean putting off post-doc potentially, but we would have had kids even closer together if things hadn't thrown us for a loop recently. 

I think IVF might be nice... someone else to do all of the worrying about timing, etc.. just show up and get pregnant! :)  I know it's not that easy, but it's nice to think of it that way!

#5 of 75 Old 06-12-2011, 10:56 AM

Theo is not weaned yet, either, and sometimes nurses a lot - and because of his peanut allergy I want him to nurse as long as possible (it's supposed to mitigate the severity of the allergy).  So that's a factor.  We are still weighing the possibility of adoption, too, and then there's the old biological clock.  Plus I'm not 100% sure we SHOULD have another kid.... we live on an assistant professor's (humanities) salary, and I will need to go back to work eventually, but in a new city with few jobs I'm qualified for, which probably means back to school for nursing or teaching.  It's a lot to consider, timing and money wise!  

Anne caffix.gif, mama to Theo (Dec 2009), partner to treehugger.gif Laura. intactlact.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif

#6 of 75 Old 06-12-2011, 12:19 PM

I'm still kicking around from the original thread!  :-)  But I'm getting MUCH closer to reality.  My cycle is still a bit wonky -- but I am ovulating most of the time!  My luteal phase is too short, but I think with a bit more time things will line up!

Any good tips for lengthening the luteal phase and how to stop break through spotting?  Is break through spotting even a problem?

Originally I was thinking of maybe trying in August, but we're gearing up to move. So, I definitely won't be ttc until after we're settled in the new house. 

Osker, I didn't realize you were so close to me geographically!

Me36), PCOS -  IUI#1 post HSG w/50mg clomid & trigger 7/25/12: BFN  & med break for cyst IUI#2  9-9-12 BFN IUI#3 10-2013 BFN  IUI#4  2-18-13 same meds, new donor BFN, IUI#5 6/1/13 100mg clomid trigger, BFN,  IUI#6 TBD 8-2013 GONAL-F and trigger blogging.jpgdog2.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#7 of 75 Old 06-12-2011, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, Esther isn't weaned yet, and won't be for a while, hopefully.. but since we're switching to me carrying that won't hold us back! I did nurse her for a while at the beginning, but I've been back to regular for six months or so, so we're pretty set there.

JAJ - We are somewhat close to you, but we're actually not in Boston right now. irked.gif eyesroll.gif We're in Manhattan for H's work right now, potentially in NJ for my internship next year (we don't know yet if we're moving by Aug. *shudder*).. but we'll be back in Boston by Sept '12, thus the reason for waiting to ttc, hoping for a Sept or later due date!

As to the questions on luteal phase.. this may just be some crazy rambling of a poor memory.. but I could've sworn that H used progesterone cream for a cycle or two and it lengthened her lp just a tad bit... I'll have to look back on our blog for a reminder.  What do you mean by break thru spotting, and just how short is short?

#8 of 75 Old 06-12-2011, 03:47 PM

Hi there,

My partner and I are in a similar position, weighing out life, age, breastfeeding, finances, donor options, in deciding when to conceive #2.  We have 12 month old who I am still breastfeeding.  We are planning on me carrying #2 as well.  But I have not gotten my period yet, and don't want to rush weaning.  Because DS and I are both happy breastfeeding.  But would like the children to be close in age.  I am thinking about starting fertility herbs, diet, and acupuncture again soon in preparation.  Anybody have any thoughts on this while breastfeeding.  What about TTC while breastfeeding, is that a waste of time and money when using donor sperm?

Me (34) Partner (30)  Parents to DS born at home (6/2010).  We are TTC #2.

#9 of 75 Old 06-12-2011, 05:02 PM

Well, my luteal phase was 9 days in April, 7 days in May , and not sure yet this cycle.  I do seem to have some spotting right after ovulation, but it seems to go on a bit longer than normal.  I ovulated for the first time in March around Easter time, but I don't have good data for that cycle.

I bought an Ovacue Monitor so I can actually confirm ovulation (you need both sensors to confirm ovulation). To understand the color coding, you can go here to page 9.  There are very few days during my cycle, at least so far, where I'm not having some kind of spotting.  I suppose it could just be that my body is still trying to get back into the groove of ovulating and cycling normally. 

I went Gluten Free in September because I found I out have Celiac.  Turns out this was the remaining bit that was holding my body back.  Things got crazy for awhile cycle wise, but then I was rewarded with ovulation.  It took a long time for my body to heal from the damage that the gluten was doing.  I am still seeing improvement in my skin and with my allergies; I am hopeful that things will continue to get better.

Still struggling to get on track with diet and exercise though.  My activity level is close to nothing.  I recently became a doula.  I am so busy with that, that all I want to do when I get home from work and doulaing is sit on my duff and do nothing.  I know if I exercise my energy level will increase, but it's difficult to get motivated to get going in the first place. :-)

I have heard that using progesterone cream is a good idea.  I've been thinking about picking some up.

I do have a known donor that I plan to use. He's a wonderful guy -- and he's close enough in my circle of friends where we'll be able to keep in touch if we choose, but not so close where it could become difficult and/or uncomfortable for our friendship.

Me36), PCOS -  IUI#1 post HSG w/50mg clomid & trigger 7/25/12: BFN  & med break for cyst IUI#2  9-9-12 BFN IUI#3 10-2013 BFN  IUI#4  2-18-13 same meds, new donor BFN, IUI#5 6/1/13 100mg clomid trigger, BFN,  IUI#6 TBD 8-2013 GONAL-F and trigger blogging.jpgdog2.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#10 of 75 Old 06-12-2011, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Tilly, I think I would start by taking your temp every morning and peeing on OPKs to see if you can identify any sort of cycle of hormones at all. I suspect that H actually has started to cycle her hormones again, even though she hasn't actually had a post partum period.  She's been showing PMS type signs, tired at certain times, and headaches at certain times of the month, similar to her cycle when she is bleeding. I don't know if her body is just lightly getting back into the monthly cycle or what, but I would start by seeing if you have any soft signs of cycles.

#11 of 75 Old 06-12-2011, 05:05 PM

Hey tilly! We are super close!  :-)wave.gif

#12 of 75 Old 06-12-2011, 05:07 PM

Osker, perhaps you'll end up back in Boston in Sept 2012 -- if so we'll all have to plan a meet up!

#13 of 75 Old 06-12-2011, 05:11 PM

Jenny, we are close!  Yes, I do have cycle like signs.  Fertile mucus, cramps, etc.  Just no blood yet.  Starting to chart is a good idea, especially if we are thinking of trying again in the fall.  What about TTC while breastfeeding?  Worthwhile?

#14 of 75 Old 06-12-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyBarry View Post
Anybody have any thoughts on this while breastfeeding.  What about TTC while breastfeeding, is that a waste of time and money when using donor sperm?

I second the advice to start charting.  It's possible a doctor might be willing/able to check your hormone levels as well.

Personally, if we had more vials of our donor, I would be willing to TTC without weaning.  But that's mostly because I got my period back six weeks post-partum*, despite my son's constant nursing. banghead.gif   I figure breastfeeding can't be impacting my fertility that much.

*Or earlier.  It's possible some of the post-partum bleeding was actually a period.

The incredibly true adventures of two girls in love. Also starring DS babyf.gif12/09 and dog2.gif!

#15 of 75 Old 06-12-2011, 10:10 PM

I'm in the waiting to start trying period!  I'm waiting for the info session at Howard Brown, a local LGBTQ health center, on July 16.  I'm getting an opk from a friend soon and charting what I can of my temps and cervical mucus in the meantime.  I don't have very consistent sleep and I wake up frequently, so temping is proving difficult.  I think I felt myself ovulate one night a week ago and the next day my temp was up.  I've currently got an eye infection, so that's one more reason I'm not trusting temps.  I tried with a KD for two cycles but then he got scared and changed his mind.  I'm going with The Sperm Bank of California, hoping to do 2 IUIs a cycle and have my top 5 donors picked out.  Wheh!

#16 of 75 Old 06-13-2011, 10:56 AM

JennP,  I never temp much when TTC with my first pregnancy, I worked 3 overnights a week and it was impossible to be consistent.   I am going to try to use that as a sign this next time, but we will see if I can be consistent. 

Kelmendi, thanks for the advice, a hormone check is a good idea. 

#17 of 75 Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 AM

i'm thinking they might try to require me to temp, the program coordinator mentioned charting for 3 months before they let us try.  I'm going to push to be an exception to that "suggestion." I have an alarm set for 8am to check my temp (then I usually go back to sleep, depending on my schedule that day) but if I wake up at 6:30 for no reason then I turn off that alarm.  All the books say that you have to have 3-5 hours of sleep before temping.  I'm just going to go to the info session armed with all the knowledge I already have and hope they jive with my plans.  I don't yet know what they test for before starting and if it includes any hormones or anything.  I don't know if they use clomid, or if it's an option for people who need or want it.  I want more information from them! lol  oh man, the twins I nanny fell right asleep and I feel like I could pass out too.

#18 of 75 Old 06-14-2011, 02:22 PM

Hello, I'm brand new here. DP and I have been together for a long time--9+ years--and are working toward having everything together to start TTC #1 in 2012. It's the practical timeline, I know...but the wait is killing me! For a long time the desire was mental/emotional/conceptual, but holy cow is my body in on it now, too! Community support around the process of planning and patience might be just what I need.smile.gif

Am I the only one here who doesn't yet have any kids?

treehugger.gif  mama to Junah baby.gif, Shekinacat.gif, Isabelcat.gif,  and Jacksondog2.gif

#19 of 75 Old 06-14-2011, 02:25 PM

You are not alone! I don't have any kids yet, either!  I have been waiting for 2+ years to get my act together to start trying.  I should be starting January 2012 AT THE LATEST!  :-)

#20 of 75 Old 06-14-2011, 04:45 PM

i don't yet either!  but i've been a nanny for a very long time so i have lots of kid experience, especially with twins in the 1-3 range.  i've been ready for a few years now and instead of waiting for the right time, i'm going to make it the right time!

#21 of 75 Old 06-14-2011, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, we are some kid loving people around here!  I was a nanny for a decade before going to grad school and H is still a nanny!  Jenn, we both did twins for a long time, I think we've had eight sets between us or so.  Now we just have one little 2yo that H nannies for and our lil 10mo.  We've got them together most of the time, 60 hours a week or so, and I'm at home, so it's the four of us all day, nearly every day!

I feel like I'm in this weird place with the whole process.  It took us 3 years to get H pregnant, but was immensely important to us that she carry first. For some reason I feel cocky about getting knocked up, like it will be easy for me.. so I'm not being as serious as I should be about the whole thing. For example, I got the cross hairs on FF the other day and haven't temped since.  I haven't been using OPKs everyday either, which I was planning to do...  And I know that I 'should' give up coffee.. but, man, I love it! I don't want to give it up yet!  We're planning to try in January.. when would you give up coffee if you were me?

#22 of 75 Old 06-15-2011, 01:58 PM

Once you get a set of twins it's easy to get hired for more!  I'm on my third set right now.  I really enjoy working with more than one kid at a time.  I've been able to take them to the park the last two days in a row and noticed a different lesbian family each day.  I love seeing all kinds of families, that's why I love my neighborhood.  But, it also reaffirms that I don't want to wait to have kids, I don't want to be in my 40s or 50s running around the playground after toddlers.  I have nothing against anyone who chooses to, it's just not what I want my parenting experience to be.

I did a little research on coffee last spring and found some varying information.  Some sources said none at all, some gave a maximum number of milligrams of caffeine a day (coffee, caffeinated teas, pop and *gasp* chocolate).  My roommate said she drank one cup of regular coffee a day.  She seriously diluted it and stretched it throughout the day.  I've been slowly reading a book about organic pregnancy and their section on coffee talked about buying organic, fair trade, shade grown.  I could go back and read it again and tell you what it says, if you'd like.  I stopped drinking coffee in August because I was getting more migraines when I did.  I think it's probably more important to just start seriously thinking about everything you eat and drink and work towards making better choices now.  You might naturally start changing your coffee drinking habits as you become more aware.  I'm working on cutting back my intake of processed sugar and increasing my fruits and vegetables.

I feel the same, slightly cocky, that I might get pregnant really easily, yet I don't want to get my hopes up.  I'm sure we'll all be quickly humbled by the process!  I'm waiting to get my hand-me-down clearblue easy monitor from a friend this weekend and then I will start tracking more earnestly.

#23 of 75 Old 06-15-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Jenn, you're so right about thinking about every little thing. I think I don't want to face that it's my turn to think about it.. DW (H) has some pretty obvious reactions to processed foods, especially High Fructose Corn Syrup. Plus, she's a vegetarian, so she's always been the one who picks apart every little bit of foods, and I've always been the one who ate anything, drank anything... I also have a bit of social anxiety which I mitigate by having a glass of wine or two with friends... I'm a crutch kind of girl. A savorer who could nurse a cup of coffee at the very least all morning. One glass of wine could hang in my hand for a couple of hours... but tell me that I can't have it at all??  I need that cup in hand! ;)  Okay, I know not really need.... but still...

Our DD has similar reactions to HFCS, and we haven't yet introduced corn or wheat... so people give us grief all the time about her food as well... and she is an amazing eater. I guess I'm just not ready to give up the peace keeper position of "the one who eats everything"...  Our whole family will be "those picky ones".  I mean, our families are lovely and supportive and love us, but they still think we're weird that we won't just stop by McDonald's for a quick salad or something "healthy" for lunch.  My own mother is fond of saying "I don't even know what a papaya tastes like!", or "I don't even know what baba ganoush is!" in response to what E eats and enjoys.  I think that it is time that I jump on the healthy for myself and my family band wagon, rather than the please everyone else because it's easier band wagon...

#24 of 75 Old 06-15-2011, 08:55 PM

Yeh, I was one of those people that could and would eat anything (and believe me I had tons of unaddressed health issues caused by nutritional deficiencies).  I found a correlation between MSG and my migraines when I was 18.  I got very ill when I was 21 and no one could figure out what it was, no doctor was willing to look at the nutritional aspects of my health.  I discovered it was gluten.  I've been gluten free for almost 5 years and the social aspect was and still is the hardest part for me to deal with.  There are a lot more options now than just 5 years ago, but I am the one who is difficult to eat food with.  I can only eat out at certain places and even then I risk getting sick.  The first time I visited my dad after going GF, he washed every dish twice just in case.  It was very sweet and I've had a few friends go through great lengths, and enjoy the process, of having me over for dinner or bringing something to a party to share that I could eat too.  Everything I've read has drilled it into my head that my health is more important than the way people perceive me.  That has been a hard thing to work toward and there are foods I am working on giving up, bad habits that I've had for way too long.  I am so interested in nutrition that I am looking into going to school to become a Registered Dietitian (after I have a kid and I'm getting a ton of flack for that decision).  The book I'm reading right now is The Complete Organic Pregnancy.  I went looking for something like this and when I found it I nearly had an anxiety attack.  It is thankfully written in a very upbeat way that feels empowering to read, instead of being doomsday-esque like I feared.  It is reaffirming the fact that I need to make healthy choices for me as well as teaching me the logic of how to do it.  I need to choose the banana with cacao powder over super processed ice cream full of sugar and chemicals.  I also just watched FoodNation after I put the kids to bed, so that has me thinking about all this even more now.  As for your coffee, it's not a bad idea to work slowly toward weening yourself from the caffeine dependence so that you aren't stressing over it all at once.  Everything I keep reading says that TTC can be oh so stressful and that stress reduces your chances of getting pregnant, so stress over the coffee now so you don't have to then, lol!  Do you like green tea?  It isn't coffee but it might help you in the weening process.  And even if you drink coffee or wine during pregnancy, it won't make you be a bad person or a bad mom.  And if your kid ends up hyper I'm sure it's just the donors fault ;-)

#25 of 75 Old 06-16-2011, 05:33 AM

Hey everyone, just saw your conversation on temping and wanted to chime in.  I worked nights for most of my TTC and while my chart wasn't textbook, it was certainly readable.  I could easily look at it and tell that I had ovulated.  I just had to keep track of my afternoon temps and morning temps.

I didn't give up coffee until right before my last try.  Mighta shoulda done it sooner.  

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#26 of 75 Old 06-16-2011, 11:44 AM

That's a great idea, Seraf. Thanks. I've been stressing out about even starting to temp because we're such inconsistent sleepers. I work from home and make my own schedule for the most part, but I'm a night person by constitution. Both DP and I wake up several times a night most nights, so by the time she gets up for work it's pretty unusual for me to have reached 3-5 hours of uninterrupted sleep. On the positive side, we're already used to the odd schedule, so maybe we'll be at an advantage when there's an infant in the mix. It's got to be good for something, right?

treehugger.gif  mama to Junah baby.gif, Shekinacat.gif, Isabelcat.gif,  and Jacksondog2.gif

#27 of 75 Old 06-16-2011, 08:19 PM

Hahaha, yeh, me too!  I'm hoping I'll be at an advantage of functioning with interrupted crappy sleep when there is a kid causing it.  Having so much twin experience, it will be a breeze changing one diaper at a time, right!?

#28 of 75 Old 07-17-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

How far in advance are you guys taking your prenatal vitamins?  I'm thinking I should start soon? 6 months ahead of ttc?

#29 of 75 Old 07-17-2011, 08:00 PM

The books that I've read have said a couple months ahead is good.  It's mostly because of Folic Acid.  So if you have a regular multi vitamin it should already have 400mg of folic acid whereas a prenatal one should have 600-800mg.  If you're concerned about having enough folic acid but have a big bottle of regular vitamins, then just buy a folic acid supplement.  The other things in a prenatal are pretty much the same.  I was using "What to Expect When You're Expecting" as a reference for what vitamins you want in a prenatal.  I've been taking a multi for so long that I'll buy prenatal when I get pregnant.  It's probably more important to look at your overall well-being: stress, diet, and exercise.  Look at the good stuff that enters your body like water, fruits, vegetables and whole grains, and the bad stuff like alcohol, caffeine, and chemicals in your environment.

I've been absent on here for a bit because I've decided to move to Denver and study holistic nutrition.  I'll be leaving Chicago in a month so getting pregnant is on hold for now.  The interesting development is that I have found a KD.  He has agreed to one at home insemination before I move (so about 2 weeks from now) and then after that we will work with a fertility clinic in Chicago to process and ship to me in Denver with the goal of starting next summer.  Crazy big changes for me!  I know the chances of me getting pregnant on the first try with this KD is really slim, but it could happen. (cross posting this part)

Any updates from anyone else on this thread?

#30 of 75 Old 07-18-2011, 05:22 AM

6 months seems appropriate to me.  I've been taking one for years because my doc told me that women of childbearing age can use the nutrients in general and that it wasn't harmful to do so.  Though, I don't remember to take it every day.......

I'm ramping up to start trying in the next month or two. 

Has anyone had a weird reaction to taking vitex?  I'm pretty sure it caused me to hemorrhage.  This snowballed into a battery of tests, ultrasounds (NORMAL! AGAIN!), an endometrial biopsy, etc.  I'm still awaiting the results for the biopsy, so fingers crossed!  The doctor didn't seem too worried, but basically they are looking to rule out Atypical Hyperplasia and endometrial/uterine cancer.  I'm almost certain that it's the vitex though, because this was the first cycle I started using it and I had a lot of symptoms.  If I had been insemming this cycle, I would have been CONVINCED that I was pregnant.  Sore breasts, burning tingling nipples, it was weird because it started after my period had already ended (and just for the bleeding started back up again.)

Next week, I am getting tested to see if I am a Cystic Fibrosis carrier and if that comes back negative and the biopsy is fine, then I should be on track to start.  If my CF test is positive I'll need to pay to get my donor tested.  If HE is positive, then I'm back to the drawing board looking for another donor. (Let's hope that doesn't happen!)

I can't believe I'm getting so close!

Tags
Ttc , Trying To Conceive , Lgbtq

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page