How do you talk to your kids about politicized homophobia and bigotry? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#121 of 143 Old 07-07-2011, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you Angela for that post! Its a great example of making yourself clear without resorting to snark. 

This;

Quote:

OK, I will turn it into a valid and important question, in a cheerful shade of purple in a personal effort to maintain a comfortable and respectful atmosphere:

is yet another perfect example of the sarcasm that I was referring to. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 143 Old 07-07-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonWillow View Post

Thank you Angela for that post! Its a great example of making yourself clear without resorting to snark. 

This;

is yet another perfect example of the sarcasm that I was referring to. 

Though you did not ask, I will edit what you deemed to be snark (while ignoring the validity of the questions that I asked). I guess for many of us, the constant mincing of words while ignoring the big issues is what brings on all the supposed "snark". Honest questions have been asked and have yet to be met with honest answers. There was nothing in my questions, themselves, that were snarky in any way. You went out of your way to highlight specific aspects of the UA with which we must comply. The community is asking for Peggy to treat us as respectfully as you all expect us to treat one another.  

kmeyrick likes this.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#123 of 143 Old 07-07-2011, 09:01 AM

MoonWillow, I'm going to try to say this respectfully. It looks like you are stonewalling on behalf of Peggy O, over snark that is so light it barely qualifies as snark, let alone "harassment." I don't know if that is your intent, and I hope it isn't. Peggy O's response was mincing, and looked quite frankly dishonest. I'm not surprised it isn't being warmly received, and once again, queer parents feel put down by MDC. Including their own moderator. Great. If Peggy O wants to come in and clarify, it's not like people don't want to hear it. They've been waiting for an explanation for years. Amma_Mama's questions were actually very good, and I'd like to hear an answer to them.

#124 of 143 Old 07-07-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amma_mama View Post

Though you did not ask, I will edit what you deemed to be snark (while ignoring the validity of the questions that I asked). I guess for many of us, the constant mincing of words while ignoring the big issues is what brings on all the supposed "snark". Honest questions have been asked and have yet to be met with honest answers. There was nothing in my questions, themselves, that were snarky in any way. You went out of your way to highlight specific aspects of the UA with which we must comply. The community is asking for Peggy to treat us as respectfully as you all expect us to treat one another.  

I did not "ignore the validity" of your questions. They weren't posed to me. And I did not go out of my way to point out UAVs. I've been modding this thread for weeks (which is my job). Also, you say that the answers thus far have not been honest but that is a BIG assumption (an incorrect one at that).

All that *I* am asking is that members post without making user agreement violations, which they agreed to do when registering for an account here in the first place. 

Thank you. 

#125 of 143 Old 07-07-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeyrick View Post

MoonWillow, I'm going to try to say this respectfully. It looks like you are stonewalling on behalf of Peggy O, over snark that is so light it barely qualifies as snark, let alone "harassment." I don't know if that is your intent, and I hope it isn't. Peggy O's response was mincing, and looked quite frankly dishonest. I'm not surprised it isn't being warmly received, and once again, queer parents feel put down by MDC. Including their own moderator. Great. If Peggy O wants to come in and clarify, it's not like people don't want to hear it. They've been waiting for an explanation for years. Amma_Mama's questions were actually very good, and I'd like to hear an answer to them.

I am not answering for Peggy at all. I am moderating the thread which I allowed to go off topic in the first place in order to help with how people in this forum were feeling. Please don't accuse me of disrespecting the queer parents here. They have been very respectful the whole time and its been my understanding that they like and appreciate me as well. If they feel otherwise then I am sure they will let me know.    

#126 of 143 Old 07-07-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:

I am not answering for Peggy at all. I am moderating the thread which I allowed to go off topic in the first place in order to help with how people in this forum were feeling. Please don't accuse me of disrespecting the queer parents here. They have been very respectful the whole time and its been my understanding that they like and appreciate me as well. If they feel otherwise then I am sure they will let me know.    

Um, the queer parenting community here has felt very betrayed by MDC as of late. Slapping them on the wrists for having chilly responses to a lukewarm explanation was not necessary or productive. Peggy o is an adult and what was said here hardly qualifies as harassment. She ought to come answer the questions. Your threats to shut down the thread are reminiscent of the old UA and heavy-handed moderation.

#127 of 143 Old 07-07-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Um, the queer parenting community here has felt very betrayed by MDC as of late. Slapping them on the wrists for having chilly responses to a lukewarm explanation was not necessary or productive. Peggy o is an adult and what was said here hardly qualifies as harassment. She ought to come answer the questions. Your threats to shut down the thread are reminiscent of the old UA and heavy-handed moderation.

But you made it personally about me as a mod so that is what I addressed. I'm not making threats and the fact that this thread remains up on the board for anyone to read is evidence that I am not modding "the old way". And the people who are not posting in a respectful way are not regular posters here in QP (who, as I said have been very respectful).  

#128 of 143 Old 07-07-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:

But you made it personally about me as a mod so that is what I addressed. I'm not making threats and the fact that this thread remains up on the board for anyone to read is evidence that I am not modding "the old way". And the people who are not posting in a respectful way are not regular posters here in QP (who, as I said have been very respectful).  

I wasn't aware that you somehow had to be a regular in this particular forum to be a queer parent. Well, my apologies. You took very direct issue with certain posters and named names and precisely pointed out what annoyed you. Posters cannot do the same? I don't think the members of MDC owe sickly sweet tip toeing to Peggy O on this issue anymore. No one has committed slander or libel against her, nor have they threatened her. They haven't even called her names. You're dividing posters into camps of who gets a gold star for being nice and who gets a frowny face for being not so nice. It would be far more effective for Peggy to just come and clarify.

#129 of 143 Old 07-07-2011, 09:55 AM

Those of us who are not regular QP posters are posting here because the last thread about this in TOA was locked and people were told the subject was off limits. We're posting here because it's the only place the discussion has been allowed to remain active. I'm sure that someone would be happy to start a thread in TOA or any other location if we were assured that doing so wouldn't result in our accounts being suspended or banned.
#130 of 143 Old 07-07-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post

Those of us who are not regular QP posters are posting here because the last thread about this in TOA was locked and people were told the subject was off limits. We're posting here because it's the only place the discussion has been allowed to remain active. I'm sure that someone would be happy to start a thread in TOA or any other location if we were assured that doing so wouldn't result in our accounts being suspended or banned.

I know why the thread "branched out" and its fine. I just wanted to point out that the QP "regulars" have maintained a respectful atmosphere in their posting behavior. 

#131 of 143 Old 07-07-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:

I wasn't aware that you somehow had to be a regular in this particular forum to be a queer parent. Well, my apologies. You took very direct issue with certain posters and named names and precisely pointed out what annoyed you. Posters cannot do the same? I don't think the members of MDC owe sickly sweet tip toeing to Peggy O on this issue anymore. No one has committed slander or libel against her, nor have they threatened her. They haven't even called her names. You're dividing posters into camps of who gets a gold star for being nice and who gets a frowny face for being not so nice. It would be far more effective for Peggy to just come and clarify.

Peggy will come back if/when she decides to. Until then the fun falls to me. Obviously you don't have to be a queer parent to post here. My previous post addresses this. Yea I called out certain people and have also been called out, no posts have been deleted from this thread. I never asked for sweet tip toeing, just staying within the UA. 

I didn't know I could give out gold stars, sweet! 

supermod.gif

#132 of 143 Old 07-07-2011, 11:24 AM

In the interest of getting this thread back on topic I thought I'd summarize the questions here. I apologize that multi-quote isn't working for me so a few may be out of order.

Quote:

Do you realize that Alive and Well argues that HIV does not cause AIDS by using out of date, incomplete or inaccurate information, and by claiming that AIDS is just the name given to 29 common illnesses despite the fact that at least one of these 'common' illnesses is not at all common in individuals with a healthy immune system?

Quote:
Why is it important that you tell us about Marian Tompson? To warn us of another guru spreading dangerous misinformation? To add credibility to Alive and Well? To distract us from our anger with you? This somehow feels like the kid in the school office having been caught doing something wrong, and has decided to spill his guts about what OTHER kids are doing.

Quote:
And if you want to support parents making informed choices about mandatory medicine, isn't it best to work through an organization or group that doesn't operate solely to discredit, not just the medication, but the disease as well? 

Quote:
So when you said you were not on the board of Alive and Well were you lying? If the board is so important you can't resign why did you 'forget' you were on it? Something doesn't add up here.

Quote:
Dear Peggy,

Were you aware at the time of the memorial service that you were still a member of the board of Alive and Well?

[And, a few follow-on questions of my own]

If the answer to the above is "no", then did you ever receive notice that you were no longer a board member of Alive and Well or did you ever render a resignation in the past? If the answer is "no" to both of those, what led you to believe that you were no longer a board member?

As you are still a board member with no intention of resigning, can you please clarify whether you support Alive and Well's claims that AIDS is not a real disease caused by the HIV virus?

Lastly, can you please explain how your membership in an organization that blames the victims of an awful, devastating disease for their own demise and denies that they even have a defined disease demonstrates a personal effort to maintain a comfortable and respectful atmosphere?

Respectfully yours,

amma_mama

#133 of 143 Old 07-07-2011, 11:29 AM

I am new here. But I am absolutely a queer parent. As for the sarcasm, that is just how I talk.

#134 of 143 Old 07-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:

Peggy will come back if/when she decides to. Until then the fun falls to me. Obviously you don't have to be a queer parent to post here. My previous post addresses this. Yea I called out certain people and have also been called out, no posts have been deleted from this thread. I never asked for sweet tip toeing, just staying within the UA. 

I didn't know I could give out gold stars, sweet! 

supermod.gif

Oh, and that's not snarky?! Cmon! All we are asking is that Peggy/mdc/mods adhere tothe same standards that they require of its members.
#135 of 143 Old 07-07-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfcmama View Post

Oh, and that's not snarky?! Cmon! All we are asking is that Peggy/mdc/mods adhere tothe same standards that they require of its members.

It wasn't intended as snark.  

#136 of 143 Old 07-07-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:

It wasn't intended as snark.  

It wasn't? Not that I mind, but really, it wasn't?

#137 of 143 Old 07-07-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:

It wasn't? Not that I mind, but really, it wasn't?

It really wasn't. It was an attempt at lighthearted humor, but if people are taking it differently then I'm certainly not going to let the thread derail over it and I will edit accordingly. 

#138 of 143 Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

I was very upset when I read Peggy's response and wanted to take a few days to collect my thoughts on this. MusicianDad, amma_mama, and others have posted many of my questions. Thank you and I second your questions.

MoonWillow, thank you for summarizing the questions so far. My questions below are in addition to the ones you've summarized.

Quote:

In the interest of getting this thread back on topic I thought I'd summarize the questions here. I apologize that multi-quote isn't working for me so a few may be out of order.

1. Peggy, in your response, you wrote: "I'm not ashamed to be on the advisory board for Alive and Well. I'm concerned about the issues facing HIV positive pregnant and breastfeeding moms and want to support parents making informed choices about mandatory medication in any arena. I'm not going to resign from the board."

Can you please clarify if you support all of the ideas, positions, and information of Alive and Well or whether you are only concerned with the issues facing HIV positive pregnant and breastfeeding moms and wanting to support parents making informed choices about mandatory medication? If you don't support all of the ideas, positions, and information of Alive and Well, can you please further explain your comfort in remaining on their board? From an outside perspective, I think it's a common assumptions that board members of any organization support the values, ideas, positions of that organization.

2. Peggy, I don't know a lot about your other than your having been the editor and publisher of Mothering. Can you please provide information about your personal and professional experience with HIV positive pregnant and breastfeeding moms  (e.g. have you talked with any moms with HIV in the US? in Africa? have you received any training on this and from whom? Have you participated in or read any scientific research on this matter and, if so, what?) Also could you please provide us with your professional and/or academic training regarding HIV and AIDS in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeyrick

Um, the queer parenting community here has felt very betrayed by MDC as of late.

I second this completely.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#139 of 143 Old 07-08-2011, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Thank you, HappyHappyMommy, for articulating what I wanted to say.  I, too, was sitting with thoughts from this thread for the last several days and was trying to come up with a response.  And I third the motion that the queer parenting community here has felt very betrayed by MDC as of late. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#140 of 143 Old 07-08-2011, 02:37 PM

I'm not interested in defending myself any longer. I had hoped to have a conversation about the issues you are concerned about regarding HIV/AIDS, but rather this thread continues to be about my character. 

I understand that some of us have a disagreement about HIV/AIDS and I accept that. However, I don't consider this thread to be an open exchange of ideas and opinions and neither do I experience an atmosphere of respect and courtesy here. 

So, I'm out. This is my last post on this thread.

#141 of 143 Old 07-08-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy O'Mara View Post

I'm not interested in defending myself any longer. I had hoped to have a conversation about the issues you are concerned about regarding HIV/AIDS, but rather this thread continues to be about my character. 

I understand that some of us have a disagreement about HIV/AIDS and I accept that. However, I don't consider this thread to be an open exchange of ideas and opinions and neither do I experience an atmosphere of respect and courtesy here. 

So, I'm out. This is my last post on this thread.

People asking valid questions about an organization you're involved in isn't an open exchange?  There have been a few snarky posters, but the majority have been civil and want to know.  I don't regularly post in QP, but the questions here are ones I want to know the answers to.  By refusing to answer them Mothering has yet again disappointed me in their handling of a situation. 

obstruct livery vehicles

#142 of 143 Old 07-08-2011, 03:54 PM

So I guess we can take that to mean you do support Alive and Well's overall purpose then. Because that is what we want to know. It's better the be up front about what you believe than try to hide it with diplomatic responses. Do I agree with the organization? No, but I am willing to respect that some people feel that way. I am, however, unable to respect someone who can't or wont state clearly what they do believe. Which is exactly what you are doing in this thread, Ms. O'Mara.

amma_mama likes this.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#143 of 143 Old 07-08-2011, 04:04 PM

I'm locking this up now.  

Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page