Father's Day . . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2011, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS is 23 months and is starting to understand so much. I think it's time for me to talk to the daycare provider about what to do if they are doing a Father's Day project. But I don't really know what to say. There is another little boy his age who also has two moms in his "class", luckily, so they are in this together, at least. I was thinking maybe I would buy some books about family diversity for them to have at the daycare. Any thoughts?

no circ-ing, co-sleeping, cd-ing queer mommy to ds (07/2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 11:06 AM

I'm a little surprised you haven't received more responses to this, what with Father's Day right around the corner!

This hasn't been an issue for us, because my partner is FTM, and thus, we do celebrate fathers day. But, in general my approach to daycare providers is just to talk to them about our family and give them cues about what works for us. They are probably wondering how to approach it with you, and possibly are fearful of offending you. So maybe just say something like, "I don't know if the class is planning to do a Fathers Day project, but DS would love to participate by making a card for his two moms."

Good luck!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

Old 06-16-2011, 11:16 AM

When DS was in daycare (home daycare, the most laid back and amazing provider), she always talked about Father's day being a time to celebrate fathers, grandfathers, uncles, etc. (and she knew DS is close to his grandfather, so it was clearly planful on her part). He would always do whatever project they were doing for his grandfather and never had any issue with it.

We talk lots about fathers, not having a dad, having a biological father/donor, etc in our house, so as time has passed, we haven't run into any issues (though I'm not saying that talking about it is a guarantee AGAINST issues...).

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!

User Tag List