Queer Conceptions July 2011 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 292 Old 07-07-2011, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MidwifeSteph, sounds very promising! Fingers crossed for you.
5 grand, it sounds like a terribly disappointing BFN this time around. I think sometimes we need to feel selfish and sorry for ourselves, and to be true to our emotions. Especially in this forum, I hope you always can be unafraid of honesty. As my mother frequently counsels... This too shall pass. Try and be kind to yourself and to each other.

CaNanny, I'm sorry to hear that your DP is so frustrated. I think we would all like instant answers and instant babies. Hopefully she will be able to get a bit of distance and see things more clearly. I hope you can also find a more willing RE or OB.

Afu, nothing new really. Gathering catheters and pre seed and preparing to shell out a bit of cash to buy 12 vials of sperm.

QOTD: If you are currently partnered, how did you meet??

In college, I discovered there was a roller derby league in town and wanted desperately to play. The first practice I went to, I was assigned another skater to show me the basics. I ended up marrying her three years later! We both played roller derby for five years, several of those on opposing teams. We were quite the league romance, lol.

Mom and Mama to our Ever so clever daughter (9.1.12)! We have a blog, too!
#62 of 292 Old 07-07-2011, 03:44 PM

FiveGrandBaby: I'm so sad with you. For you. When these things happen, especially to people like yourself that may be as close as we are in the personal process, we can really feel the pain. I know that each time, each month, even each day makes it harder to pick up and move on and find the one thing that keeps us going -- hope. It will come to you, it may just take longer this time and you have to have a big fat ol' pity party in the process.

Have you ever read "Waiting for Daisy?" I've just finished it (upon recommendation of my infertility support group) and it was really good. It helped me to see my journey, albeit a painful one, just a little bit differently. When you feel up to it, perhaps hunt it down and read it.

Just know that you will be a mommy. You just don't know how yet.

Peace to your heart,

Your Cohort Krista

me (40) DP (47) TTC since April 2010, 5 IUIs & 6 at home w/ fresh
Short luteal phase, septum resection in Sept 2011
Jan 2011 a BFP! Try #11 angel.gif 8w2d (blighted ovum)
April 2011 BFP! Try #12 angel.gif 9w2d (no heartbeat)

Nov 2011 BFP! Try #14 angel.gif 8w0d (twins, no heartbeat)

June 2012 -- Moving onto IVF with PGD

#63 of 292 Old 07-07-2011, 05:24 PM

Hi, everyone---

I'm so glad to have found this thread! My wife (32) and I (30) will be TTC via IUI in August---I'll be carrying. I'm here because although we have the most wonderful friends and family any couple could ask for, they're all straight and we'd really like to connect with other queer parents and parents-to-be.

Thanks so much and blessings to you all!

In love and TTC in August/September 2011!

#64 of 292 Old 07-07-2011, 06:49 PM

5G~ So sorry to hear about your BFN...August will be your month...I can feel it. hug2.gif

Isa~Happy Birthday weekend! Yeah to Cancers! Hope that you have a great weekend...and that this will be the last b-day without you little bundle of joy! Oh...how are the shots going? Will you be doing PIO shots?

Cananny~ Would it be possible to see another RE or OB? To get a second opinion about not getting any testing done at this time. I really hope that things work out for you and your DP. I've had a lot of setbacks in my ttc journey...so I do know how that feels, but things do find a way of working out...(well that's what I have found to be true).

Carmen~ How has your 1st week back to work been? Hope that re-entry was not too painful.

Alpha~ I have everything crossed for you...when is your beta? I can't remember did you have embabies that were frozen?

Sara~ What DPO are you know...any new symptoms? fx's for you this month! Hey I saw on another thread that you all are going to Little Rock in December. I'm from AR originally and my dad still lives there in LR. Hope that you all have a great trip.

OMOM~ Yeah for your BFP! broc1.gif  carrot.gif  banana.gif

AFM~ I have had my IVF consultation. I am currently on BCP's to help my RE regulate my cycle. I will be taking BCP's for a total of 23 days...I'm on day 13 today. My skin is breaking out and my boobs are fuller and a bit tender (those of you who have met me know that I do not need fuller ta-ta's). I have my IVF orientation, a hysteroscopy, and a mock transfer all scheduled for July 11th...my B-day! Not my plan just worked out that way. I'll end the BCP's on July 19th and go in for my u/s and baseline bloodwork on July 22nd. I'm not exactly sure when I will start my stim shots, but I am guessing either July 20th or 21st. Then we wait to see how the follies grow do the retrieval and a 3day transfer. For those who are doing IVF does your RE do a 3 day or a 5 day transfer? My RE likes to get the embryo's back into their natural habitat asap. I'm not sure what the difference or advantage/disadvantage would be for 3-5 day transfer.

Lela (39) & Irene (54) TCC  #1 stillheart.gif ! Mom to furbabies Bruzier (Chorkie), Diesel (Min-Pin), and Giovanni (Chihuahua).dog2.gif

Multiple ICI's, and IUI's...2009-2011....BFN's

1st IVF August 2011....BFN

1st FET March 2012....BFN

2nd IVF July/August 2012....

#65 of 292 Old 07-07-2011, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Welcom, jennytuck! Have a look at the first post in the this thread and let me know if you'd like to be added to 'The List' ;)

gelly: Sounds like you are on your way now! Exciting :) I know nothing about IVF so I can't answer your questions but I'm sure there are some on here who can! And thanks for asking about me going back to work. It's weird! I'm not settled in at all. It's going fine I guess but it's just...weird lol

Afm: I'm 3DPO and I don't feel pregnant yet winky.gif

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#66 of 292 Old 07-08-2011, 09:48 AM

Thanks, Carmen! At the moment I'm Waiting to be Ready. I'm ready now, actually, but we're not trying until late August because I'm a nanny and we're hoping that if the IUI takes my maternity leave will match up with my boss's summer vacation next year---she's a teacher. A lot of stars will have to align, but we're hoping luck is on our side!

#67 of 292 Old 07-08-2011, 10:40 AM

Gelly: so exciting that you're getting closer and closer to IVF. I'm keeping fingers crossed for you bigtime. I'm probably going to be right behind you so I always like watching other people's journeys.

There is a lot of chatter about 3 day transfer vs. 5 day transfer. I'm not sure I understand your RE wanting to get it back to its natural habitat ASAP. What's most important is the quality of the embryo. If you transfer in a lesser quality embryo (especially based on less knowledge because it hasn't been given two more days to develop in the petri dish) it won't matter that it's going back to its natural habitat. It's generally considered a good practice these days to go for a 5 day transfer (also known as a blastocyst) against a 3 day transfer (also known as a cell stage transfer). During natural conception, the embryo reaches the uterus during the blastocyst stage and when it's in the cell stage when it's in the fallopian tube. So transferring to the uterus at blastocyst stage, is more likely to replicate the natural process of being in the uterus. I know the doctors here in the Bay Area consider a blastocyst to be a more sturdy stage of the embryo (and a way in which to better determine quality) so that it has a greater chance of implantation. That being said, a lot depends upon how the embryos are doing post-fertilization. If they are slow in growth overall docs may want to transfer at the cell stage just so it has a good chance of growth.

Additionally, at 3 days they aren't hatching and at 5 days they do (unless you're doing assisted hatching, have you asked about that?) Some doctors think that failing to hatch in the uterus has a lot to do with why IVF fails. Overall, medical journals state there is higher success with 5 day transfers. I would recommend working with your doctor to agree that you guys will keep in contact with her and that it will be looked at day-by-day to see where the embryo stands and that decisions will be made based on that, not just decided that it's going to be 3-day transfer upfront. Also ask her what the quality/grade cutoff is. Some docs base the 3 day vs 5 day based on the grade of the embryo.

I know it can be overwhelming so if you're the kind of person that does better with just letting the docs be the experts and you relaxing by doing what they say, then go for it! You have to do what's best for you.

I'm sure there are a few on this board who have been through IVF that can tell you the pros and cons of both better than I can. Wishing you the best of luck and a BFP!!!

Krista

me (40) DP (47) TTC since April 2010, 5 IUIs & 6 at home w/ fresh
Short luteal phase, septum resection in Sept 2011
Jan 2011 a BFP! Try #11 angel.gif 8w2d (blighted ovum)
April 2011 BFP! Try #12 angel.gif 9w2d (no heartbeat)

Nov 2011 BFP! Try #14 angel.gif 8w0d (twins, no heartbeat)

June 2012 -- Moving onto IVF with PGD

#68 of 292 Old 07-08-2011, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Midwife and Carmen—FX!! I have two pineapples at home waiting for my birthday party this weekend and I keep eyeing them up, even though I know I don’t need to be eating them yet…

Alpha—Monday’s almost here already! But stay away from those sticks if you can, just for your sanity.

5G--*hugs* I wish it didn’t have to be this way for you, I really do.

Desert—what a cute story! I’d love to do roller derby (actually, I’d love DP to do roller derby) but when we were at our first bout and talking about how she could totally do that…the announcer cut us off to encourage everyone to purchase t-shirts from one of the players who got hurt and is now quadriplegic…which pretty much killed it right there. Now I just go and watch and get all excited instead!

JennyTuck—welcome! That’s why I joined, too, and I’ve had really great luck meeting some wonderful people here! I know straight people find good support boards, too, but there’s just something nice about the queer one—I think being a smaller community makes us more open or something.

Gelly—shots are going fine—and thank goodness no PIO! I do the spooge pills instead, which are gross, but I can’t imagine giving myself IM shots (and it would be me doing it, too) so I’m glad the doctor didn’t prescribe them. Our RE said that she prefers a 5-day transfer pretty much for the reasons Krista gave, but that they decide based on how the embryos look which seems like the best time to transfer. We’re looking at July 23rd if it’s a 5-day.

QOTD—DP and I met on Craigslist. In the roommate section. She had the only intelligent ad up, and I was the only intelligent person to respond. I didn’t like her at first because she was late to the initial interview, but I really got along with our other roommate. Then I moved in, we started flirting and three weeks later I dragged all my crap down the hall to her room and we got a nice Japanese exchange student to move into my old room. We still have our first introductory emails to each other politely asking about the room and our personal habits and whether or not we’re actually serial killers.

AFM—day two on hormones and all is well. I keep waiting to lose it or break down in tears, but so far no indication that it’s happening. Are the emotional effects cumulative?

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#69 of 292 Old 07-08-2011, 01:35 PM

Prettyisa- good to hear that you don’t mind jabbing yourself (I’m on fragmin for the second half of the cycle) – it’s not fun but you can definitely get used to it.  Hope the emotional turmoil of hormones passes you by and you will be devouring those pineapples in no time, bracing yourself for the pregnancy hormones!

Jennytuck – welcome to QP!

Carmen358- I’m sure you will settle in at work just in time for your next maternity leave :)  btw you timing sounds perfect this cycle!

Cananny- I know the wait is very frustrating for your DP and you.  I would definitely find a doc who is willing to do some basic testing (day 3 and 7 days after O blood work at the very least).  Just knowing that all is well will give you guys the confidence to persevere through the process.  Unfortunately the  12 months of trying seems to be the benchmark for most Obgyns that they apply to their straight patients with unlimited access to sperm.  I love my OB but still found her not to be very sensitive to the unique challenges of lesbian TTC!

Desertsunsets- great story of how you two have met… my DP and I also met playing sports and still make pretty good "teammates"

5G- so sorry about BFN, I hope your IVF journey is ends in August with a great outcome!  your perseverance is inspiring

Southernfriedkarma- hope the higher dose does the trick for you.  Sorry to hear about your DP’s mom… my sister also went through breast cancer and has been in remission for 7 years now (early detection is key)

Smilingsara- any news yet? Keeping my F/X for you

MidwifeStephPDX- where are you in the TWW? The sleep over insemination sounds a bit awkward (our KD travels to see us and leaves after donating before we return home from our walk)

1m1m – congrats on the great 1st  beta results hope today’s results give you the confidence to be full on excited!

Alpaha- hope you have a great and fast weekend followed by the best news on Monday!

AFM- 9 DPO today trying not to read into every twinge and staying busy with work and kayaking.  I’m planning to hold off with testing till Sunday or Monday (11/12 DPO) to get a reliable answer. Follow up with RE on Tuesday to discuss how the monitoring and testing has gone this cycle.   

A (36) DP (52), brokenheart.gif over losing DD at 38 weeks in 2011. Our rainbow1284.gifrainbow1284.gifboy/gril twins arrived in April 2012!

#70 of 292 Old 07-08-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyisa View Post

AFM—day two on hormones and all is well. I keep waiting to lose it or break down in tears, but so far no indication that it’s happening. Are the emotional effects cumulative?

Good to hear :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad astra View Post

AFM- 9 DPO today trying not to read into every twinge and staying busy with work and kayaking.  I’m planning to hold off with testing till Sunday or Monday (11/12 DPO) to get a reliable answer. Follow up with RE on Tuesday to discuss how the monitoring and testing has gone this cycle.   

I'm looking forward to seeing good news from you on Sunday then! ;)

Afm: 4DPO. I went back and read through the thread of my 2WW when I got pregnant with DD. I guessed I was pregnant at 8DPO and had a BFP at 10DPO. Fun to read what was going on during my wait. Apparently I was reporting symptoms by 3DPO lol

#71 of 292 Old 07-08-2011, 01:55 PM

kgulbransen - Thank you thank you thank you.  

Gelly - When we did our first (and successful) IVF, my doctor originally wanted to do a 5 day transfer of one embryo, based on my age and general health.  However, when he saw the quality of my embryos and how many made it to day 3, he called me (on day 3) and suggested we do 2 embryos that day.  (His rule is that if less than 6 embryos make it to day 3, you should do a day 3 transfer.  If you have 6 or more, you can do a 5 day transfer.  I started with 13 and ended up with 6 on day 3, so he was kind of on the fence but was kind of encouraging a day 3 transfer.)  He called me that night to tell me the rest of my embryos were fragmenting.  His intention had been to let them grow to blasts and then freeze them, but because they were fragmenting, the likelihood was that they would die before making it to day 5.  We told him to freeze them, and when we miscarried (which had nothing to do with the quality of the fetus, it was solely bad luck) and had to do a FET, the embryos were in terrible shape and of course I didn't get pregnant.  We just attempted a second IVF, and my embryos were gorgeous, but based on my history, he suggested a day 3 transfer (after all, it worked the first time) of two embryos.  I didn't get pregnant.  Would the embryos have grown to blasts had he let them, thereby basically doubling my chances of getting pregnant?  Who knows?  What he does know is that my uterus is perfect, my lining is very generous, and it's his thought that it's a better incubator than the "test tube."  But Krista is right - many doctors don't feel like the uterus is any better than the artificial environment.  Still, that first round (the one that worked), who knows how those embryos would have done if we would've let them keep growing in the dish?  Maybe they wouldn't have made it.  Statistically, a healthy blast will implant more often than a healthy 3-day embryo.  A perfect 3-day embryo has a 20 percent chance of implanting.  A perfect 5-day blast has a 40% chance.  (This is stuff I've read.  My doctor tries not to talk about statistics because he doesn't want me to stress.)  My concern about waiting until day 5 is that they could die in the dish before they ever even get a chance in my body.  I have made the choice to trust what my dr says, because he has done very good things for me (in addition to getting me pregnant).  He was there for me every day of my 11-day stay in the hospital post-miscarriage, and is very re-assuring, supportive, and caring - he feels terrible that I miscarried in the fashion I did, and he wants very badly for us to get pregnant again, so I know he's going to tell us what he thinks is best.  I understand taking charge of your own care, but there is a point where we as non-medical people have to trust our docs (this is my feeling, anyway).  I wish you the best of luck!!  And let me know if you have any other questions!

prettyisa - My only emotional reaction to the hormones is when I go off of the progesterone (when I find out I'm not pregnant).  That sudden downturn of hormones is detrimental to my well-being, as evidenced by my FOUR crying fits yesterday (two at work!).  But it's different for everyone!

AFM - It really is a special kind of hell to get your period after a failed conception cycle, isn't it?  

Partner (35) and I (32) have been together since 2004, TTC #1 since 9/09 - 7 failed IUIs with KD

12/17/10: First round IVF w/ WTBK donor results in pos.gif ; 2/13/11 M/C after emergency surgery angel.gif  

Try #9 FET 4/11 - Negative.  Try #10: IVF 6/11 - Negative.  Next up: Try #11 FET 8/11

#72 of 292 Old 07-08-2011, 09:15 PM

Argh...D**N computer ate my post. I'll try to remember everything that I had said.

Krista/Fivegrand~ Thanks so much for your responses. I think that I will talk to my RE more about 3 and 5 day transfers. I would like for there to be a bit more openness to waiting to see what works best. I agree with you at some point I have to trust the RE...they are the medical professional. But there is nothing wrong with being a little bit more informed so that I can be easy with whatever happens after the retrieval.

Isa~ I hope that the hormones don't affect you too much. From my experience with injectables I tend to get mood swings around day 8-9 of the stims. Hopefully you won't have the same side effects.

QOTD~ I was a Nun (Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul) when I met DW and she was a friend of one of the Nuns that I lived with. I was attending school at DePaul University (the Vincentians are our priest brothers) taking a LGBTQ class. Which helped me confirm that the Nun's life was not for me. I was having a hard time leaving because the convent had become a safety net for me...I loved the sisters and they loved me, plus I could go to school for free and I didn't have to worry about anything. Anyway...Irene had come to visit the nun that she was friends with...we met, became friends...began talking on the phone, and back and forth on e-mail. She challenged me to leave the nest and to begin living my life. I left...we started dating...got married 2 years later and have been happily married for the last two years...and we are now ttc. Most of the Nuns were happy for me, but there were some who had a hard time with me living my life as a lesbian woman, and they had a really hard time with Irene and I getting together, but that's there problem.

Lela (39) & Irene (54) TCC  #1 stillheart.gif ! Mom to furbabies Bruzier (Chorkie), Diesel (Min-Pin), and Giovanni (Chihuahua).dog2.gif

Multiple ICI's, and IUI's...2009-2011....BFN's

1st IVF August 2011....BFN

1st FET March 2012....BFN

2nd IVF July/August 2012....

#73 of 292 Old 07-08-2011, 09:26 PM

Gelly -- I love your "how we met" story! So glad you found each other. :)

gellybeangrl likes this.

#74 of 292 Old 07-09-2011, 11:44 AM

Sara- Any news?We have our veggie dancers on hold with your name on them..dust.giffingersx.gif

Me (29)  in heartbeat.gif with DW (40) 
DD (12) and DS our special needs baby (4) placed 03-01-10
Our furbaby dog2.gif Bella (Yorkie) 

Layla Janae 11/22/11 

ds2(8mos)placed 08-o3-2012
#75 of 292 Old 07-09-2011, 06:11 PM

well as of right now I have NO idea what's going on. I woke up this morning and thought I started AF, but then it was really light all day and stopped for a few hours. My cervix is really high up there but there is more bleeding again as of now. I dont know what to think. I have a feeling I'm not pregnant but I don't know. Maybe I'll test in the morning if blood is still minimal. I'm going on nearly three weeks of bleeding now though, which isn't normal for me, at all. I think I've had one day off. I may call the doc on monday. Sara says if I lose some weight maybe that will help me get pregnant. But I feel like after two month of watching my calories everyday, nothing is actually happening.

I'm all around really upset with this process and feel like its hopeless. I know I've only been trying for a few mear months and this is only my third try, but it sucks. 

DP to Sara, two crazy kids running around, lil dude born 11-1-11babyf.gif and the new guy is home !! babyboy.gif  (5/2/12)

#76 of 292 Old 07-09-2011, 08:05 PM

Sara-Please don't give up hope,the day will come when you get that bfp..hug2.gif

Me (29)  in heartbeat.gif with DW (40) 
DD (12) and DS our special needs baby (4) placed 03-01-10
Our furbaby dog2.gif Bella (Yorkie) 

Layla Janae 11/22/11 

ds2(8mos)placed 08-o3-2012
#77 of 292 Old 07-09-2011, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingsara View Post

well as of right now I have NO idea what's going on. I woke up this morning and thought I started AF, but then it was really light all day and stopped for a few hours. My cervix is really high up there but there is more bleeding again as of now. I dont know what to think. I have a feeling I'm not pregnant but I don't know. Maybe I'll test in the morning if blood is still minimal. I'm going on nearly three weeks of bleeding now though, which isn't normal for me, at all. I think I've had one day off. I may call the doc on monday. Sara says if I lose some weight maybe that will help me get pregnant. But I feel like after two month of watching my calories everyday, nothing is actually happening.

I'm all around really upset with this process and feel like its hopeless. I know I've only been trying for a few mear months and this is only my third try, but it sucks. 

hug2.gif Sounds confusing. Do you think the vitex may have anything to do with the odd cycle? I've heard vitex can cause crazy things if you don't 'need' it....

#78 of 292 Old 07-10-2011, 06:15 AM

I have no idea about the vitex. Last month my cycle was fine. I didnt bleed a drop in the middle of it or anything. I'm using it because we were hoping it would lengthen my LP. It has in some months, but not this one.

Took a test this morning. It was negative, but still no more than spotting. If still no blood tuesday, I'll test again. 

DP to Sara, two crazy kids running around, lil dude born 11-1-11babyf.gif and the new guy is home !! babyboy.gif  (5/2/12)

#79 of 292 Old 07-10-2011, 09:30 AM

smilingsara- sorry about the crazy cycle you are having... I heard vit B6 in its bio available form Pyridoxal 5'-phosphate can lengthen the LP maybe you can try it next time if need be.  I can relate to the frustration of not knowing what's going on - I had a weird cycle couple of months ago (several days late with daily BFNs - not fun)  Hang in there!  lengtens  the LP    

Afm- BFN 11DPO this a.m. so doesn't look good... I will double check on Tuesday but it looks like I'm out of luck again!

A (36) DP (52), brokenheart.gif over losing DD at 38 weeks in 2011. Our rainbow1284.gifrainbow1284.gifboy/gril twins arrived in April 2012!

#80 of 292 Old 07-10-2011, 01:38 PM

ad astra, sorry about your BFN :(.  Maybe Tuesday will bring different news.  

Isa, that's an awesome craigslist story!  I joined roller derby in '05, before there was such talk of major injuries haha.  I was going to say that really, it's not that bad... but then I remembered all the injuries just me and DW have incurred over the years.  My worst one was a hairline fracture of the collarbone; but in addition I had chronic shin splints and the normal bumps and bruises.  However, the cartilage in my shoulders is pretty jacked up now because of all the hitting.  And I got a concussion or two.  DW on the other hand, she had a sprained back, dislocated jaw, whiplash and compression of C1/C2 (and a concussion as well), one dislocated rib that popped in and out several times, and now she's got chronic neck pain and migraines from the neck and spine injuries.  Her knees were never in great shape, but she managed to not bust either of them which is good.  I'd say the most common injuries are torn ACLs and broken ankles, and those are more from skating than from the actual sport of roller derby.  So in summation, perhaps its best that DP avoids it!  We both played rugby too, and I got two concussions in six months and haven't cared to repeat the experience.   So how are the hormones treating you? 

Carmen, feeling more pregnant yet???

Gelly, what a crazy fantastic story about you and DP!!  Maybe it should be a book.  And then a great lesbian romance movie!  Excellent.  The whole IVF process is pretty intimidating to me, best of luck in navigating the murky waters and I will keep my fingers crossed for a first time success for all you IVFers.  

sara, I'm sorry you feel so discouraged right now.  I hope that maybe a little bit of distance or a new perspective can help you regain some of your ever-cheerful and hopeful attitude.  I'm sure you have been having a rough patch and will be back to yourself soon.  

Welcome to QC, Jenny!  Would you tell us more about you and your partner?  Glad you guys are here :) 

AFU, I think some days that we are crazy for trying to have children because the ones in our house right now seem bound and determined to ruin the image of children everywhere, haha.  I know it's not their fault that they have crappy parents who abused and neglected them, or that they are in foster care.  And it's certainly not their job to love us.  They've been with us long enough now that they are feeling more comfortable and I wonder if maybe they aren't waiting for "the other shoe to drop".  They were in their last foster placement for 1 month and have been here over 3 months now.  So some of the really fun behaviors are rearing their ugly heads, yay for us.  Sigh.  

Question: where do you at-home-inseminators buy your syringes?  I'm looking for sterile ones and am struggling to find them online.  Anyone have suggestions??

Mom and Mama to our Ever so clever daughter (9.1.12)! We have a blog, too!
#81 of 292 Old 07-10-2011, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

ad astra: I hope that your bfn was because you tested early...keep us updated!

sara: I don't know much about vitex either but I have read lots of anecdotal evidence that suggests it takes a few months to really kick in. There are lots of people on the forums (if you do a search) who know more about it. I do think I've read that spotting and/or long strange cycles can happen. Have you had your Day 21 progesterone tested? Might be worth a look if you are interested in any sort of western medical advice. hug2.gif I'm sorry you're having to deal with this....it sucks.

Afm: 6DPO today. I think I have my first "symptoms"! My nipples are really sensitive/sore again when DD nurses. They always feel that way 2-3 days right before and on O day but other than that time they usually don't feel like this. I also had some deep aching/cramping late last night that almost felt like AF was coming. However, I had that last cycle so I guess that's not really a symptom. And I've noticed more creamy cm this month. But, I wasn't really checking for cm post O the past few cycles so I have no idea if it is just my normal experience.

#82 of 292 Old 07-10-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSunsets View Post

AFU, I think some days that we are crazy for trying to have children because the ones in our house right now seem bound and determined to ruin the image of children everywhere, haha.  I know it's not their fault that they have crappy parents who abused and neglected them, or that they are in foster care.  And it's certainly not their job to love us.  They've been with us long enough now that they are feeling more comfortable and I wonder if maybe they aren't waiting for "the other shoe to drop".  They were in their last foster placement for 1 month and have been here over 3 months now.  So some of the really fun behaviors are rearing their ugly heads, yay for us.  Sigh.  

Question: where do you at-home-inseminators buy your syringes?  I'm looking for sterile ones and am struggling to find them online.  Anyone have suggestions??

We cross-posted! I just buy my syringes at the local pharmacy. The pharmacist has them behind the counter...they were 40 cents I think!

You will have loads of experience for when you're little ones show up!! You're very fortunate to have that experience!!

#83 of 292 Old 07-10-2011, 07:46 PM

thanks for your help guys. I'm for sure taking this month off. I have been taking the vitex for 2 cycles now, this is the start of my third. Maybe it hasn't fully kicked in. I dunno  if I wanna try more stuff like vitex, just stay with the vitex for now, or go see a doc. I'll probably wait on seeing a doc for anything a bit more, even just for testing. 

I'm thinking this is my period, but its really not like how mine usually is. I'm gonna test again Tuesday, with a different brand of tests probably. My cervix is still really high up, but its very open now. What does that mean? Anyone know? 

Ad Astra: Sorry about the BFN, I'm betting it was just too early to test!

Desert: I too hope some time off will help things out! 

Carmen: Sounds like a good symptom to me! 

#84 of 292 Old 07-10-2011, 08:55 PM

Sara: I'm sorry things are so complicated right now---you have all my good wishes!

Ad Astra: I'll be thinking about you and hoping you get good news on Tuesday!

DesertSunsets: Sure! My wife Audra and I have been married just under three years and together for more than five, but we met ten years ago when she was my boss at the summer job I had between my freshman and sophomore years in college. (We worked in the university housing office.) Mutual love at first sight, but it took us awhile to get our act together. :)

I'm struggling a little today...for the second time this weekend an acquaintance found out we're trying to start our family and immediately warned me not to get my hopes up re: a successful pregnancy. It happens all the time, and while I know they mean well, it's beginning to wear on me. I'm cautiously optimistic at best and a terrible worrier...but why shouldn't my hopes be up, at least a little?

#85 of 292 Old 07-11-2011, 06:05 AM

Jenny thanks for your kind thoughts.

Sorry some people in your life are not more supportive... Have you considering sharing your plan of starting your family and the actual TTC process only with your closest friends whose support you can depend on?  For some reason the topic of childbearing and raising tends to invite tons of unsolicited advice, input, and  anecdotes that may not be helpful at all.  Waiting until you are successful in conceiving and confident that your pregnancy is progressing well to share the news with everybody would spare you the "are you pregnant yet?" questions and "my second cousin couldn't get pregnant for 5 years and then went of vacation and just relaxed and she concieved twins" stories.  My DP and I are didn't share the news of our pregnancy until the 2nd trimester and enjoyed that special time just between the two of us. We plan to do the same when pregnant again. 

#86 of 292 Old 07-11-2011, 07:53 AM

Jenny: Thanks! That sounds like a fun story how you and your wife met. Don't listen to them, it'll happy quickly for you and your wife! 

How Sara and I met: We met online! I had just graduated college (like 3 weeks before) and we starting e-mailing back and forth (multiple times a day). About a week into talking we had a date set up. She drove to Pittsburgh (what a sweet heart) and we hit it off very well! We spent the next month seeing each other many many times (despite the 4 hour drive). After commuting back and forth a few times a month, Sara asked me to move in with her and the kiddos. We've been together for nearly 2 and a half years! 

AFM: I'm finally accepting this is my period (its more like a period now). I'm really glad I'm not trying this month, as I dunno what day to say it actually started. I'm going to try again a few days after my birthday next month, so maybe that'll be the good luck I need. 

#87 of 292 Old 07-11-2011, 08:31 AM

Hello everyone.  Back from a LONG weekend. 

Gelly:  Krista's description of Day 3 versus Day 5 is very consistent with the guidance from my Doc.  He does both.  He has a slight preference for Day 5 as it allows the opportunity to evaluate the best candidates for transfer.  However, he is also conservative about not going to Day 5 if he doesn't have strong confidence that the embies will make it to that point.  As frustrating as it is for us patients, this is an evolving science.  At the end of the day, Docs are incented to give you the best possible chance of success (It gives them better rates to publish!).  I believe that the recommendations of when to transfer should take into account your own unique situation but I am sure they also consider their own competencies (lab, procedures, etc.) as well as what their experience tells them will work. 

PrettyIsa:  I can't say I have had any extreme reaction to the hormones.  I might be a little moodier (like PMS in a typical non-medicated month).  I also had some really crazy dreams in the beginning (thinking that is the progesterone based on what others have said). 

Sara: I am so sorry for the confusing situation.  A break sounds like a great thing right now.  Hoping it brings peace and renewed strength.

5Grand:  You were in my thoughts so much over the weekend.  I hope you are feeling a little better now.  I know getting AF must feel especially hard but hopefully it is leading to a new start as well.  It is going to happen for you. 

AFM:  Beta this AM.  Anxiously awaiting results.  Have tried not to speculate to much over the weekend.  Just staying hopeful but realistic....

Mad about DP with dog2.gif dog2.gifcanine children.

Proud auntie to 8 nieces and nephews.

TTC #1 since October 2010. 

#88 of 292 Old 07-11-2011, 11:02 AM

Thanks so much, Ad Astra and Sara. My problem actually stems from too much of a good thing: we have a huge, extremely supportive "church family" that has been asking us for years now when we plan to reproduce. ("When are you having that baby?" counts as small talk to these people, and they have never taken "we're not ready yet" for an answer :)) Now that we are ready I have no problem saying "soon" when they ask, and no problem answering any questions, but I have no idea what to say when someone reacts with pessimism. (I think I'm not upset at people for being negative; I'm upset at myself not having a good response.) I have known many of these people all my life and we love each other, which makes it very hard for me to say that I'd prefer not to talk about it without feeling like I'm being rude. Anyway, today is a much better day!

Sara: Birthdays are lucky!

DesertSunsets: Those children are so lucky to have you!

Carmen: That sounds promising---I hope you get good news!

#89 of 292 Old 07-11-2011, 11:15 AM

hey everyone,

my second beta results came back today and things are looking really good. my first was 132, my second was 515. it is rising fast, and hopefully that is def a good thing?

my ultrasound is in a couple weeks, but I am starting to feel confident and like this is real :) at least my boobs feel confident that this is real...

thank you so much to each of you for the support and care on this board - i got a truck load of veggies waiting to dance for you!

Our rainbow1284.gif family: mommytea6.gif and DW mama luxlove.gif our 4.5 yr old DD 'Z' notes2.gif and 2 yr old DD 'S' femalesling.GIF and hoping for baby.gif

#90 of 292 Old 07-11-2011, 11:28 AM

Jenny, Don't be mad at yourself for not having the words to tell them. Tell them what you feel you want them to know and nothing more. If they are negative or pesimestic about it, it is ENTIRELY their problem and not at all yours! 

OneMommy: WUHU and congrats on a fabulous second beta result! I'm so happy for you and your family! broc1.gif carrot.gif  banana.gif  joy.gifROTFLMAO.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page